Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

PK Server Premium Proxy?

How much interest is there in a Proxy Server for the PK Server? Is there enough to justify trying to set one up (including watching ports to avoid firewalls) and would it increase the number of people interested in the PK Server?

This would probably only interest US players because unless I can find another great EU ISP that I can deal with, it would be in the US, which mean out of game ping times of 90ms to 140ms depending on location ... that would hurt EU players, but not be noticed by US players because it would be close to them.

On the other hand, recent enhancements on my proxy service help reduce that chances of a lagging player Grueing if they have a flaky connection (still can resync), and a bandwidth reduction of 5%-10% (even more on busy maps or invasions, I saw a 20% savings during a PL invasion on the main server recently). While the PK Server doesn't have the players or a high volume of invasions, those are the players how might be moresensitive to this. And as usual, the proxy server can sometimes help if there is a NetQuake or a bad router/path and get you around the laggy spot (one user recently could barely play, he tried the proxy and the route improved to the point he could even bring his alt online without problems).

Keep in mind that the PK Proxy Service would be seperate from the Main Server, but each service allows up to 5 characters for $30/year. The goal would be to add 50 more Main or PK accounts and I can bring a new proxy online on the east coast of the US, which would be good for most of the US players, and might even help EU players that don't mind that much extra ping.

Is this something people would be interested and would it help increase the use of the PK Server?

I can't really comment on any increased usage for the PK server, but I will mention I'm using Learner's proxy with great success on main due to a blocked port 2000.

I dont play the PK server but I do use the Proxy server on the Main server and has helped me out a lot. I would suggest to anyone to give it a try.

The two big reason people have for using the Proxy Service are:

* Port 2000 being blocked (hotels, companies, universities, etc often block port 2000, some even block a lot more)

* Problems between you can the server (including what I call NetQuakes, when routers on the internet die or cables get cut).

I've had people who have problems with the Grue switch to using my proxy and were able to kill the problem. Who it will help varies, for example most days it's faster for me to go through the proxy then directly to the game server, but not always.

The internet is tempermental, I've just trying to provide additional options to reduce the pain when it happens.