Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arafin

The Story of Fingolfin

I have been reading, an I do not see any pieces on the Gnomesin any way shape or form.....thats kind of....an discourtesy.

Gnomes are placed in time everything since the begginning cant just leave them out lol. I would not know where to begin with gnomes, but if no one else is willing I am more the willing to take it on.

It said I couldnt edit my own posts, so I htink I timed out....I have to rewrite this is notepad (I already did but just saying).

It screwed me lol, it was fairly long and it wouldnt let me scan back either the danged thing so I lost like an hour of my time lol. Oh well thats life.

Ok I am taking head and writing upon which Fingolfin lived his life.

Fingolfin Telemnar was born on Mortosin of the 3rd day of the 15th Quartet in the year 2293 in the Forest of Shadows. He was the child of Curufinwe Telemnar and Eldalote Nenharma. Fin's uncle, Aegnor Telemnar, taught him basic magic when he was young so he could then later teach him advanced magic. Fin hunted rabbits with his father at the age of 23 when he pull the string of his bow back enough to actually accurately shoot it.

At the age of 42 Fin won the seasonal archery contest. It was at this point he began to influence the elven people. When Fin turned 45 he was asked to join the ranks of the Elven Sharpshooters, which he regretfully declined so he could finish his last few years of school. Many of the much older elves who had been practicing for years to become part of the elite few became jealous and treated Fin with much disrespect. However, the younger elves looked up to him and were inspired by his greatness.

Fin finished school at the age of 55 and became the only elf ever to finish before the age of 70. Once again the elders became jealous at his accomplishments. Fin's father was highly proud of his son and the community wished him to lead the people. Curu worked his way up the totem pole and finally was second in command under the Elven leader Finrod Tiwele. Finrod died 5 years after Curu took Vice Commander and then Curu took over. Fin was proud of his father, but by the age of 75, Curu had pretty much abandoned his son. Aegnor began to teach Fin magic again and eventually became the main influence in Fin's life.

At the age of 80, Fin had mastered the art of magic and he had surpassed his uncle in most of the art. Aegnor was proud and told Fin so. One night when Fin was out hunting with his uncle a lone dwarf came into the city and killed Eldalote. When Fin returned home to find his mother killed he wept for over a week. Fin wanted revenge and asked his father to appoint him to Captain the Elven Gaurd. Curu denied his request and told him it was for his own good. Angry Fin gathered everyone he could rally to his cause and left the Elven City with over 300 highly trained elves and another 100 adequate training.

They moved through thick forests and stopped near the piedmont of the mountains. He set up for the winter here and set duties to each elf. They sturggled through the winter, Fin lost half his army to the winter and made a many more sick. He decided that if they were to survive they must find better shelter and so he ventured into the mountains with his remaining men. They stumbled upon the city of Mynadar.

For two weeks the hid in the cover of the mountains and planned to take Mynadar with as few deaths as possible. Fin's two head generals, Glorfindel and Daeron, spoke of a night raid and leave no one alive. Fin argued for another week before agreeing to the horific idea. So the next day after their ecision they crept down the mountains an silently eliminated all the guards watching over the city. They swiftly moved in and killed anyone they seen. When they came upon the main keep a dwarf horn sounded and immediately they were surrounded.

Fin drew his sword and rallied the elves to find small alleys and defend themselves in a tight spot. Fin had learned in school a small coridor was the perfect advantage when outnumbered. They fought throughout the night. The Dwarves were losing great numbers as well as the few elves. Slowly the advantage moved to the elves and the Dwarves realized it and retreated from the city with the remaining men, women, and children.

Fin and his troops remained here for the rest of the winter. When Spring finally arrived, Fin sent 50 men back to the Foest of Shadows to bing anyone who wished to live in freedom from his fathers cowardly ways. The 50 men returned with over 500 elves. More women then men adn they began to make rebuild their lives in Mynadar. When Fin was 150 he had an army of 2000 battle harened elves at his command and the city had well over 10,000 elves.

Fin increased his land throughout the mountains and into other continents. His city grew and he became a force to be reckoned with. At the age of 200 he was wed to the lovely Elemmire Telrunya. Elemmire was 235 when she was married was also a great warrior. Howeve, she never had fought in a battle as elven women were not allowed to fight in wars. Fin and Elemmire had three kids-Finrod, named after a the great commander of the Elves Finrod, Aegnor after Fin's uncle, and Morwen their only daughter.

Fin taught his children to never abandoned your kin and to only fight if absolutely neccessary. Both Finrod and Aegnor became great archers while Morwen was only good at magic, but she was a one of a kind in the art just like her father.

When Fin reached the age of 290 he began to hear rumors of a powerful army moving in from the south. Fin began to mobilize and sent a few regiments to the south to scout out the area. When his men did not return Fin began to prepare for war. He immediately gathered his strategists and his generals. Glorfindel had the idea that they were ging to swing to the west and come in through the roughest part of the mountains. Daewon felt that if they had a large army theu would attack head on, not take months to move though the mountains. Fin took both ideas into consideration and set up men at both points that his strategists cam up with.

Four months passed and still no sign of threat from any direction. Fin was starting to become nervous while his soldiers were becoming jaded. Fin decided that if nothing happened within the next week he would pull his troops back. The next night Mortos attacked, not from the front nor from the mountains, but from behind. Fin having listened to his most decorated strategists and generals clouded rational thought. The rear was left ungaurded, and the Orchans easily over took the land around the castle. Immediately as the attack began Fin sent a lone troop into the mountain paths to gather the men there and have them return. They closed the stronghold and lined the walls with archers.

The battle had begun and the Orchans outnumbered the elves five to one. The battlements of archers were soon shot down and the Orchans breached the stronghold. Orchans poured throughthe gates and killed anything, even themselves if they got in the way of a kill. They were relentless. It seemed as if for every one orchand killed 2 took its place. Fin fought with vigilance and allowed his family to escape into the mountains. Fin was down to under 30 elves. He got a report that themen in the mountains appeared to have been dead for a number of hours.

Knowing there was nothing more he could do, Fin took his remaining troops and headed back to the Forest of Shadows. Though they moved swiftly, a number of Orchans followed Fin and his men back to the Elven city. Upon Fin's arrival he found he was not the only one to escape-Glorfindel had cuts all over him that would never heal again, but atleast he was alive. The rest of the faces he did not recognize.

Curu immediately emprisoned his son and commenced him to death in the morning for the slaughtering of his kin. Fin woke up to the sounds of screaming andthe blazing of fire. Looking out at his surroundings showed his entire city under attack and Orchans all over. Fin angered as he was broke the prison door and took his sword and bow. He ran as fast as he could shopping any Orchan in his way as he raced for the Elven Palace.

The doors to the Palace were locked and he knew there was no way in. Fin started fighting at the gates of the Palace; if he could not get in himself he would atleast keeo the Orchans from obliterating the Palace. As the battle raged more and more elve began to fight alongside this brave warrior. The Orchans slowly closed in around the Palace an the elves who were locked out. Fin no longer fought for his own life, but for th lives of his wife, children, and the generations of elves to come.

Fin swung his sword with ease and flowed about more like a dance of death then a fight. The Orchans numbers dwindled to fewer then a hundered and they soon began to recede. Fin still fought gallantly and flowed his sword about the battle fieldredering the Orchans useless. As the battle came to a close Fin fell to theground in a panting heap. He had been fighting for hours, and the cuts on him were deep. The doors to the Palace opened and Curu ran to his son and cupped the cadaverous body in his arms. It was on this day Fingolfin Telemnar passed away.

The Elves revered him every since that day, even the elves of the present know the name Fingolfin.

*yawns* ok thats a rough sketch, I can add dialogue to it and embellish on more characters, or go into more detail of a cahracter (which I plan on doing in final draft if accepted, cause Fin has no deatil other then name and his story lol). Just there it is tell meh whatcha think and I will tak it all in.

I like it. Go ahead with the Gnomes stories too, if you want. Always like having more stories. ;)

Yes, you'll need to flesh it out a bit more here and there, since it's just a rough draft. I suggest, though, that you change the name of Glorfindel. That's obviously taken from LOTR, and probably not a good idea to copy Tolkien. (Plenty of unique names around... :) )

Not sure whether it should go under Myths or Legends, but definitely one of the two. As for WHEN to fit it in, I'll work something out on the calendar sticky. But it's definitely going to go in, once you spruce it up a little. :)

-Lyn-

Is Glorfindel from LOTRs lol....I honestly had no idea.

I pieced together Elven words from the Elven dictionaries to make every single name....guess I better pay more attaention lol.

Ok as for the Gnomes, I was thinking many things, I will break something out in Works and post it in this as an edit like I did the last one. Dang thing timing out lol that sucked....ok I will whip it up and post either tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, as for the timing out thing...the forum won't let you post anything so soon after your last post. It's not really an editing problem. Just wait a while - about 2 minutes, and you'll be able to post your edited version.

-Lyn-

Haha...go through it again. I spotted at least 5 typos, a few spelling mistakes, and a couple of sentences/phrases that need to be reworded. (Things like "Elven Gaurd", "emprisoned", "commenced", "More women then men adn", "bing...fathers cowardly ways..", etc, etc, etc...) Of course, change Glorfindel as well. (He was the Elven Lord that rode Frodo to Rivendell and faced off the Ringwraiths...it was NOT Arwen, no matter what the movie says)

And yes, go ahead with adding more details and embellishments. Generally good to have more stuff in a story - it's easier to cut things out later during editing than trying to spin out a longer story.

We'll put it in Legends.

-Lyn-

Curious if still interested in my finishing of this, still got all the notes on it on how to improve it and I got a fairly good idea of how to spice it up a little better as well.

I will most likely base it in legends/myth form so as to make it focused on one person and not so much 5-10 people as it was before. Basically slim it down to a short story of his life his adventures and how he came to be a legend and the dangers and obstacles he faced getting there.

In case your wondering, I finally found freetime on my big schedule so I will do it and finish it within next two weeks three weeks max lol.

...it might even fit into a quest...and speaking of quests still got like 15...90% of EL wont be able to finish them because they lack roleplaying skills, but still good quests...long and hard as well.

Sure, go ahead and finish it. :ph34r: Post the new version in this thread, please, Arafin - the other thread had the title "Storyline" (which made it difficult to trace) <_< . Also, when editing it, please take into account the information provided by Entropy about the world - I've collated it in theEternal Lands Fact Files. You'll have to modify the story to fit.

As for quest ideas, organise them well and send a PM or email to Entropy. He's the one handling them, not me. Thanks! :P

-Lyn-

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! *starts pulling out hair*

Hmm...seems the cities which I had used before....well....they no longer allow the story to be placed in any form in any way or form into the storylines.

Any suggestions on that would be good but suggestions to what is beyond me...I guess if I were to make it a myth it would work but it would definitely be an untrue myth lol.

Back to work, Arafin.. :P I'm putting your story into the main history, although it'll have to be modified a little.

-Lyn-

Things you might want to change about "The story of Fingolfin":

At the age of 42[] Fin won the seasonal archery contest -- "42, Fin"

When Fin turned 45[] he was asked -- "45, he was"

Once again[] the elders became jealous -- "again, the elders"

another 100 [] adequate training. -- with

winter here and [set duties to each elf] -- "assigned duties to each elf"

They [sturggled] through the winter[,] -- struggled :"the winter.":

and [made a many more sick]. -- "and many more became sick"

were to survive[] they must find -- "to survive, they must"

For two weeks [the] hid in -- they

night raid and [] leave no one alive. -- "and a plan to leave no one alive"

agreeing to the [horific] idea -- horrific

upon the main keep[] a dwarf horn -- "keep, a dwarf horn"

When [spring] finally arrived -- spring (or capitilize 'winter')

When Fin was 150[] he had an army -- "150, he had"

battle [harened] elves -- hardened

at his command[] and the city -- "his command, and the"

Fin increased his [land] throughout -- possesions (unless he created land)

when she was married[] was -- "married. She was"

[Howeve], she never -- however

in a battle[] as elven women -- "battle, as elven women"

and Morwen[] their only daughter -- "and Morwen, their only daughter"

never [abandoned] your kin -- abandon

only fight if absolutely neccessary -- necessary

When Fin reached the age of 290[] he began to hear -- "290, he began"

large army [theu] would attack -- they

his strategists [cam] up with -- came

Four months passed[] and still -- "months passed, and still"

nervous[] while his soldiers were -- "nervous, while his"

The next night[] Mortos attacked -- "the next night, Mortus"

Fin[] having listened to his most decorated strategists and generals[] clouded -- "Fin, having ...

generals, clouded"

Immediately as the attack began[] Fin -- "began, Fin"

battle had begun[] and the Orchans -- Either "begun, and the" or "begun. The"

poured [throughthe] gates -- through the

that [themen] in the -- the men

but [atleast] he was alive -- at least

immediately [emprisoned] his son -- imprisoned

of screaming [andthe] blazing -- and the

he could [shopping] -- chopping (unless they were malls)

he would [atleast] [keeo] -- at least :keep:

the battle raged[] more and more [elve] -- "raged, more and" :elves:

Palace [an] the elves -- and

for [th] lives of his -- the

about the [battle [field]redering] the -- battlefeild :feild, rendering:

came to a close[] Fin fell to -- "close, Fin"

fell to [theground] -- the ground

----------------------------------------

context context [error] -- First edit :seconed edit: /third edit\ (suggestion)

is how this is edited. Thank you for your contribution to the storyline and giving me a job.

Is Glorfindel from LOTRs lol....I honestly had no idea.

Glorfindel AND Fingolfin.

(Actually, not LOTR, but The Silmarillion, which leads up to The Hobbit and LOTR).

Arafin, you have a great story going here, will you complete it? Go back through, do the rough editing, change the names and what not? Also, would you like to do the next revision or would you be open to someone else working on it? Please let me know so that I can either include it in works in progress or mark it abandoned (I'd much rather keep it btw :blink:) Please let me know as soon as possible.