Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

PK Central improvement

PK central is a very nice addition and I think it could be made even better by announcing all possible pk deaths: melee, magic, ranging, summons and mines.

On the programming side, I guess shouldn't be hard to determine the killer, since, at least for summoning, the creatures are linked with their master id.

Not so sure about it regarding mines...or even if it is a good idea to announce who placed the mine...maybe just a "[@PK Central @ 6]: Jezebelle learnt to fly by stepping on a mine" could do :)

On a sidenote, I don't know the historical reasons behind the receiving of pk points from melee kills only, but wouldn't be fairer to give them after a death by ranging and death by magic too? I don't dare to suggest pk points for death by summons...ops, just did it. :(

PK central is a very nice addition and I think it could be made even better by announcing all possible pk deaths: melee, magic, ranging, summons and mines.

On the programming side, I guess shouldn't be hard to determine the killer, since, at least for summoning, the creatures are linked with their master id.

Not so sure about it regarding mines...or even if it is a good idea to announce who placed the mine...maybe just a "[@PK Central @ 6]: Jezebelle learnt to fly by stepping on a mine" could do :devlish:

On a sidenote, I don't know the historical reasons behind the receiving of pk points from melee kills only, but wouldn't be fairer to give them after a death by ranging and death by magic too? I don't dare to suggest pk points for death by summons...ops, just did it. :whistle:

The server does not store information on who placed the mines, and the summons are linked in an unreliable way to their owner (by temporary player ID, which can change if the owner disconnects and someone else logs in and gets that ID).

And also what broke :devlish:

[PK Central @ 6]: blah was hit with the branch of destruction! And there Steel Greave got degraded!

If brod hits were to be announced, perhaps another channel to put announcements for pk, mods and lenny on a 'read only' channel would be needed. I find it interesting to read announcements, however I find the spam/flames/etc that comes with it, less than such.

Not so sure about it regarding mines...or even if it is a good idea to announce who placed the mine...maybe just a "[@PK Central @ 6]: Jezebelle learnt to fly by stepping on a mine" could do :devlish:

On a sidenote, I don't know the historical reasons behind the receiving of pk points from melee kills only, but wouldn't be fairer to give them after a death by ranging and death by magic too? I don't dare to suggest pk points for death by summons...ops, just did it. :whistle:

The server does not store information on who placed the mines, and the summons are linked in an unreliable way to their owner (by temporary player ID, which can change if the owner disconnects and someone else logs in and gets that ID).

And what about pki for the rangers ? :bow_arrow:

It might be possible to clear all associations of summons to a certain player upon disconnect? That would render the association semi-reliable: if a summon kills someone after its summoner disconnects, the kill is not reported - which is fine -, and moreover there is no risk that a new players logs in and finds himself in control of summons he has not created. As for the cost, if summons are somehow separate from other actors, a pass through that list upon a disconnect should be feasible. If not, speed reasons might render this strategy too costly... devs call on this.

As for mines, I think they should not be reported, both on grounds of opportunity (mines are a kind of "stealth" weapons, most often whoever placed them wants to stay anonymous) and of role playing (mines are objects, not controlled by a "owner", once placed they would kill anybody, and even work on a Peace day - all substantial differences to other forms of killings, including by summons).

I love the idea for having BroD hits/items announced.. Too damn many "moon meds" get hit and I am sure people would like to know what they really hit :P

It might be possible to clear all associations of summons to a certain player upon disconnect? That would render the association semi-reliable: if a summon kills someone after its summoner disconnects, the kill is not reported - which is fine -, and moreover there is no risk that a new players logs in and finds himself in control of summons he has not created. As for the cost, if summons are somehow separate from other actors, a pass through that list upon a disconnect should be feasible. If not, speed reasons might render this strategy too costly... devs call on this.

Yes, it can be done, but the thing is, it happens rarely, and usually not a huge issue.

Yes, it can be done, but the thing is, it happens rarely, and usually not a huge issue.

*cough* i ALWAYS summon when i go to Kf, and they almost always kill someone. whether it be by hawks, ACs, MCs, Tigers, or POLAR BEARS!! (*cough* Tristan) so summoners getting the pk central message would really make it more worthwhile since everytime i do kill someone their all like "omgz no pki lost, no pk central message, hahaha u killed me for nothign!! n00bz" .. and i find it that i do kill them for nothing since i am pking on a ND map :whistle: a bit of recongization & fame wont hurt :whistle: since i think thats why Pk central was created... :whistle: so plx radu!!! :hug:

And if you are guildless in pk and log out, when you log back in the summons attack you(at least attacked when i used summons a lot...). If you are in a guild, the summons won't follow you anymore.

Dunno if its a bug or intended to be so, but i think it is more one thing in favor of PK Central reporting summoneds killing players too. Btw, Pk central rocks, very nice thing.

Edited by Lorck

Store the name of the summoner with every summoned creature and you can give PKI points for death by summonings (i highly doubt, that there are that such summoned creatures in game, that storing a 16 byte player name for every summoning would cause memory or performance problems).

Ok, when the summoner gets a name change while having summonings in game, might be a leak, but a very rare one IMO.

No for PKI from mines, since you can't control who steps on a mine. Whats next? Getting PKI for luring someone into a death zone or a place, where the opponent dies by heat/cold/radiation damage?

Yes for PKI from ranging or magic, whats the difference if you kill someone with a sword or an arrow or a spell?

My 2 cents :)

Piper

yea, make summoning a skill which would give u pki/pk central message :wub: since it IS considered a combat skill... and since all the other combat skills gets u pki why shouldnt summon? :omg:

yea, make summoning a skill which would give u pki/pk central message :confused: since it IS considered a combat skill... and since all the other combat skills gets u pki why shouldnt summon? :whistle:

Magic doesn't give, not even a message.

Ranging doesn't give, but you get kill and message.

Yes for PKI from ranging or magic, whats the difference if you kill someone with a sword or an arrow or a spell?

agreed.

Magic doesn't give, not even a message.

Ranging doesn't give, but you get kill and message.

well maybe radu should change that :hug:

since ranging & summoning & magic is considered a PK skill.. so why shouldnt it give PKI? :whistle:

And I'd like to disable my PKI, would even pay 10$ to get that done. But hey, I also want platinum self warming toilet seat with jewel embeddings but can't have it all.

since ranging & summoning & magic is considered a PK skill.. so why shouldnt it give PKI? :(

*combat skill

PK = combat but combat > PK.

That might be why PKI isn't given

#edit: Perhaps kills by guardbots and guardbots getting killed could be excluded? There's hardly any achievement in killing a bot that just came from underworld with the lowest possible health over and over again. Apart from that, guilds/mapowners have paid for a 'secure' environment, and with this recent explosion of guardbot targetting any random noob seems to want to find out about other maps/guardbots (and yes I'm aware that even guildmaps shouldn't be considered 100% safe)

Edited by Dilly

since ranging & summoning & magic is considered a PK skill.. so why shouldnt it give PKI? :)

*combat skill

That might be why PKI isn't given

#edit: Perhaps kills by guardbots and guardbots getting killed could be excluded? There's hardly any achievement in killing a bot that just came from underworld with the lowest possible health over and over again. Apart from that, guilds/mapowners have paid for a 'secure' environment, and with this recent explosion of guardbot targetting any random noob seems to want to find out about other maps/guardbots (and yes I'm aware that even guildmaps shouldn't be considered 100% safe)

Combat Skill is used for Pk (Player Killing) so really no reason why it SHOULDNt be counted as a Pk Skill.. unless ur saying that only high a/d is capable of killing another player.. :omg:

another thing is that .. Pk usually stands for "Player Kill" which leads me to think that u need to KILL ANOTHER PLAYER with that skill for it to be considered a PK Skill.. (Example: A/D can kill someone. Magic can kill someone. Ranging can kill someone. Summoning can kill someone. Potioning can NOT kill someone. Crafting can NOT kill someone.. got my point?)

PK score: X.XXXXXX

PKI = Player Kill Score.. if u can kill playerswith Summoning, Magic, & Ranging.. shouldnt u get Pki for PKing a person?? a PKI Central message would be nice too :whistle: