Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cyprom

Unolas' Crown

Contest - Unolas' Crown

Introduction Though based on the Great Almanac of the Gods, this story is not official...

In the time when Unolas was still a mortal draegoni, he was rightfully acknowledged as the brightest among his race. For his constant pursuit of magic and learning, the draegoni designed a unique crown for him to wear, so that all creatures in Draia would recognise the "King of Magic".

After having attained godhood through the guidance of Mortos, he acquired more magic power than he had ever imagined. He was an evil god at the beginning, due to being forced into the War of the Gods. But after coming back to his senses, he felt bad for his evil actions, and therefor returned his crown to the mortal draegoni.

He had imbued a part of his wisdom and powers into the crown, making the wearer a better mage. Unfortunately, part of the crown's charm was lost when the gnomes started examining and duplicating it.

Now there are multiple crowns to be found in the world of Draia, but the one crown once worn by Unolas is still in the hands of a faithful draegoni.

As a collector of rare items, I started a search for the unique crown of Unolas. As I visited many draegoni, I found out that the keeper of the crown lived on forgotten islands. Fortunately, the magic of the draegoni made it easy for me to find those islands, as I could access them through the portals room.

It didn't take me too long to find the keeper. She was in the magic shop, selling teleport rings. Her name was Ringa.

She immediately recognised me as a treasure hunter looking for the crown, and she let me start the trials. She said that only a person who could finish the trials of Irilion was worthy of having the crown.

I received a ring for every Irilion map that had a ring targeting to it. One by one I put them on my finger and completed every trial waiting for me.

When I was done I went back to Ringa. She was surprised that the trials hadn't scared me. Apparently the trials are easy enough for everyone to complete, but most treasure hunters simply give up when they see all those rings, since there are duplicate crowns in existence anyway.

After hearing those words, I didn't feel like I had earned the crown. So I promised Ringa that I would find a suitable owner by announcing my own trial and handing it over to the person who could complete it first.

And as such it happened. I am here to announce my trial!

The first person to complete all the objectives below will be the rightful owner of Unolas' Crown...

Objectives

1. Find the locations on the screenshots. Remember the map and exact coordinates! Do not give them out! Do not look for a hyperbag there!
  2. Use the first coordinate of every location together with the map you found it on, to reach a new map. (You may have to think a bit on this one :))
  3. Find Wroll, Raytray and Ellstren on the maps you figured out. (No hints, it's easy enough if you have the right map...)
  4. Discover the correct NPC from the portraits list below, by taking the portrait at the position equal to the sum of all second coordinates divided by 5.
  5. The above players will each ask a question about the NPC (see previous objective). Answer it correctly to receive a clue item.
  6. Let the clues guide you to Mystic_Shadow's position and be the first to complete my task to win the contest.

Screenshots

Location1:

Cont1.png

Location 2:

Cont2.png

Location 3:

Cont3.png

NPC portraits

Start counting from left to right [1, 2, 3, 4].

After finishing a row, go to the next one [5, 6, 7, 8]...

Bigger picture

Example: The Wraith is at #9. For "the NPC" to be the Wraith, the sum of all second coordinates would have to be 45

Prize

Unolas' Crown :)

Date and Time

September 4th, 23h00 GMT+1 (add DST)

The date and time may change. Though to give you an idea already, I put this in. Naturally, you will be notified if it changes.

Notes

• You have to complete the entire contest. Finding me by accident or because someone else told you does not make you eligible to win.
  • Keep the clue items you get on you. I will need confirmation that you completed the contest from you as well as from my co-hosts.
  • The contest can be discussed on channel 7 (unless it would be taken for some reason...). Additional hints may be given out if the contest is proven too hard without them.
  • One screenshot has been given out in advance so you can find it and try to figure out how it leads to a new map. The contest could take too long if everyone still had to do that while searching.
  • This contest requires knowledge, brains, skills and some items. Everybody is allowed to play, but don't expect to get far if you're not well enough prepared.

I hope you will play and enjoy it :)

Good luck

This contest was written by Cyprom and is being sponsored by Raytray and Cyprom.

Thanks in advance goes out to Ellstren and lyndy (and TessAnna :)) for offering to help, though I assume only Ellstren will actually be part of it.

-- Cyprom

PS: Certain things are currently "missing". Those things will be filled in as we get closer towards the contest. Enjoy the waiting \o/

Edited by Cyprom

Yay, lol i wonder what the crown is tho..... :rolleyes:

RP a bit with me, it's just a CoM... But then again, not JUST a CoM (you know..)

*starts preparing his travelling gear*

Very intriguing... let me know how to help if and if my schedule permits, I will.

Thanks for the offer, but I already got plenty of help. The "not 100% sure" part referred to too many helpers. So they still have to be selected ^^

Just join the contest and have a bit of fun searching :cry:

EDIT: Forgot to close tag

Edited by Cyprom

My apologies for double posting, but I thought some people might be interested in noticing the changes :cry:

Just read the first post, 1 screenshot has been given out. You can try to find it and figure out how it leads to a new map (read the objectives).

READ CAREFULLY! I have bolded several important things. If you have questions, I guess it's ok to post them, though everything has been explained enough to understand...

The other 2 screenshots will be posted a few hours before the contest starts (maybe even a day). Same goes for the NPC portraits list.

Good luck

Due to my dad being silly enough to fall for a marketing trick - changing to a new internet provider - I no longer have a connection on my computer.

I'm now posting this from his computer on which I've been able to get a connection after 2 days... Most likely, I will get a connection on my own computer in a few days, but for now, I'm not able to play.

For those that don't care about a reason: The contest will be postponed for a few days, hopefully not too long

An extra note: I don't know when my "assistants" will be able to help out, so this may add another few days to the waiting time.

My apologies, though it's not my fault :)

EDIT: Problem seems to have been solved (see post below). Mods may feel free to delete this post.

Edited by Cyprom

Sorry for doubleposting, but it may be important :hug:

My connection is back up as of 2 minutes ago, so if everything goes well, the contest can be held tonight!

If there are any more problems, I'll try to let you know asap.

See you in less than 6 hours :)

So the contest has been over for a while, but because of the length I needed to get some sleep prior to posting the results...

Enly won the contest, being the only one who got to Mystic_Shadow and completed all quests in less than 4 hours :P

But she did not take the crown, and thus the prize is still in my hands, waiting to be given out in a new (easier) contest sometime next week.

And now, because several people asked for it, and simply because I'm kinda proud of my contest :rolleyes: , I will post a walkthrough:

Unolas' Crown: The Walkthrough

Objective 1

Find the locations on the screenshots. Remember the map and exact coordinates! Do not give them out! Do not look for a hyperbag there!

Location1: Grubani Peninsula [85,274]

Cont1.png

Location 2: Portland [324,229]

Cont2.png

Location 3: Kusamura Jungle [375,22]

Cont3.png

===============================================================================

Objective 2

Use the first coordinate of every location together with the map you found it on, to reach a new map. (You may have to think a bit on this one :))

How to do this:

You simply take the #th letter from the map name, where # is a digit from the first coordinate. Stick to the given order and you get an acronym of a map.

1) Grubani Peninsula [85] -> PA = Port Anitora (Raytray was hiding here)

2) Portland [324] -> RoT = Ruins of Tirnym (Wroll was hiding here)

3) Kusamura Jungle [375] -> SRM = South Redmoon Island (Ellstren was hiding here)

Objective 3

Find Wroll, Raytray and Ellstren on the maps you figured out. (No hints, it's easy enough if you have the right map...)

All you had to do here was walk around the maps you found using the results from objective 2.

After about an hour, hints were given towards these locations:

1) Port Anitora: A big land in the east, a medium land in the west, and a small land in the south. Only 2 are connected, and I'm on one of them.

2) Ruins of Tyrnim: As time flies by, evil comes to the land. It is no longer safe where I'm at.

3) South Redmoon Island: When Dwarves meet Gnomes and Gnomes meet Dwarves, I meet Orchans.

Objective 4

Discover the correct NPC from the portraits list below, by taking the portrait at the position equal to the sum of all second coordinates divided by 5.

Now we use the remaining coordinate from the screenshot locations and add them up:

274 + 229 + 22 = 525

Divide it by 5 and you get 105

Then you check the NPC portraits list and count #105. Winner -> Itilli

Objective 5

The above players will each ask a question about the NPC (see previous objective). Answer it correctly to receive a clue item.

Raytray:

Q - What is the NPC wearing?

A - Blue Robe Skirt, Lavender Tunic, Body Piercing Cloak.

Item - Gold Coin

Wroll:

Q - What are the only 2 items the NPC may ever take from you?

A - Gold coins and an item you have to give her in a certain quest :P

Item - Magic Essence

Ellstren:

Q - Where is the NPC located? Be specific.

A - Tarsengaard Magic School, Registry Room.

Item - Ruby (unpolished)

These questions were made very specific and some of the answers required you to actually go visit Itilli if you didn't have a flawless memory.

Objective 6

Let the clues guide you to Mystic_Shadow's position and be the first to complete my task to win the contest.

Gold Coin + Magic Essence + Ruby => Secret Treasure Room in Vermor Castle.

(An additional hint was given by Mystic_Shadow: You are looking for me, owner of the divine crown. Amongst other divine treasure, you must seek me out.)

Once there (only Enly got this far), there were 2 quests waiting:

1) Show me what’s needed to reach Unolas, using your knowledge and not his skill.

-> I can't post the answer to this. You had to show Mystic_Shadow all items needed to get to Unolas' priest without teleporting. This is a game secret :)

2) Now give me the key to go over the sea. The crown of Unolas is awaiting thee.

-> Same thing as the above. Here I wanted the item you need to get back from the priest to the castle.

A Crown of Mana was then traded for the item (though Enly just got a c2 ring set for free :P)

That's it.. I hope all contestants enjoyed it. The unfortunate thing about this contest is that I can't do it twice. Now that you know how it's done, there's hardly a challenge left. And not giving it out wouldn't have been fair either, because Enly would be ahead everytime I did it then xD

I myself am quite happy with how it turned out. It's the first time I was ever able to keep players interested for over 4 hours ^^

Thanks to all participants and thanks to Ellstren and Raytray for assisting me in this rather lengthy task

*shuts up*

Edited by Cyprom

4 hours? Yikes... probably would have been shorter if I hadn't wasted all that time finding mystic :rolleyes:

That was a great contest, thanks so much to all the hosters, I really had fun :)

And I'm hardly a genius that figured it all out by myself btw, had a long discussion with a buddy before figuring out the letter/coordinates/map thingy, and had help looking for mystic. Teamwork ftw ^^

A sample of attempts to figure out decoding the coordinates of the screenies (name taken out because I haven't had a chance to ask permission to share...)

[PM to *****: the location of the first screenie: "You are in Grubani Peninsula [85,274] "]

[PM from *****: so 85.. and gp is 9]

[PM to *****: yup]

[PM to *****: so far my best theory is: 85 / 16 (# of letters in the map name) = 5.3125, 5 = votd, coords 31,25. But that feels rather far fetched, and I have no way..]

[PM to *****: to confirm it until the contest starts anyway :P]

[PM from *****: that's not bad]

[PM from *****: lol.. well.. 8th letter = H, 5th letter = E, HE? health essence.. trassian? or.. G = 7, P = 16.. [85,167].. but that's not a map]

[PM to *****: hmm, yeah... the HE thing sounds better than my theory :P]

[PM from *****: HEGP? anagram.. GHEP.. PEGH.. GEPH..]

[PM to *****: GHP \o/ he's hiding in a great healing potion]

[PM from *****: genius \o/]

[PM from *****: wait, no, he's combined an extra mana potion and a great healing potion to make an extra great healing potion, or EGHP.. of course!]

[PM to *****: \o/]

[PM to *****: lol, just saw an EP in those letters too, egratia point, but that hardly accounts for the rest]

[PM from *****: *reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/85_%28number%29 *]

[PM to *****: ouch... I think the first few lines just killed my brain]

[PM from *****: it's # The atomic number of astatine :P]

[PM to *****: if only we had a map named astatine :)]

[PM from *****: yeah.. i've got nothing :)]

[PM to *****: year 85 BC: " First Mithridatic War Lucius Cornelius Sulla again defeats Archelaus in the decisive Battle of Orchomenus. "]

[PM from *****: orchomenus.. orcs.. are in gp and archelaus.. archery.. so you've obviously got to kill an orc in gp with a bow]

[PM to *****: lmao ^^]

[PM from *****: i mean, how hard was that, he should have tried harder :>]

*eventually we figured it out*

Edited by Enly

Good to see I got you thinking ^^

I wonder how herculese figured it out (he's the only other person who did)

Anyway, the follow-up contest has been prepared. It will be a LOT easier than the first, but you'll still have to work a bit to get it.

Unolas' Crown - The Second Trial

Objectives

1. Find Wroll. Hints will be given out on channel 7. Questions are allowed though not all of them will be answered.
  2. Complete 3 tasks you get from Wroll after finding him. For every completed task, you will be rewarded a link to an image.
  3. The 3 images you gathered lead to a map. It is up to you to figure out how.
  4. Find Mystic_Shadow on that map. No extra hints, just find him.
  5. Complete the final task to win the crown.

Prize

Unolas' Crown...

Date and Time

Delayed... GMT+1 (add DST)

The date and time may change. Though to give you an idea already, I put this in. Naturally, you will be notified if it changes.

Notes

• You don't have to complete the entire contest. Finding Mystic will simply be much harder without knowing the map. And you still have tom complete the quest.
  • This contest requires knowledge, brains, skills and some items. Everybody is allowed to play, but don't expect to get far if you're not well enough prepared (though you will get further than in part I).

I hope you will play and enjoy it :P

Good luck

This contest was written by Cyprom and is being sponsored by Raytray and Cyprom (or should I say Enly? :rolleyes: )

-- Cyprom

PS: Enly automatically gets a ring set if she wins again. That's what you get for leaving me with a big prize!

EDIT: Date has been changed a third time... My good comp is back at uni, so I can't play EL at home anymore. This also means that I can't set a new date yet.

Edited by Cyprom