Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nathanstenzel

New command #pray god and/or holy symbols

I lol'd really.

Regardless of how many types of that particular religious symbol exists, its still just

from one religion. And of that religion they would only date back to the religions creation, which

was not 'the stone age'. Its is NOT a universal symbol. I think blind belief that everyone

thinks the same way, is an attempt. Please keep it a fantasy game, sigh.

Do some quick research, you'll see. Glad you lol'd tho, it's good for you. :whistle: In any case, in the absence of an item used to invoke a god's blessing remotely, I really like Conavar's idea - especially considering how many new quests have been and may continue to be added to the game.

@chr0nik

Read a link before you use it as a reference, it has ~50 crosses related to Christianity and its various sects.

With 6 references that are not, like Skull and Crossbones, Swastika, besides the Ankh

and a Norse symbol, its the defacto symbol for one religion, lets leave this out of a game.

-----

I do think if a univeral item is not used, the 'offering' type item should reflect the

particular Mortos\Aluwen etc you which to receive the bonus from, it could help remove items from

the game instead of creating a new one.

I think populating the game with shrines would be overkill, imho.

Some people don't like the idea of a blessing item that you can carry with you. How about having many alters/statues/wishing wells/whatever spread throughout c1 and c2. You go to one of these alters and get your blessing. It would cost more than a blessing from a temple, but not so much that no one would do it.

I envision having one of these in almost every map, preferably close to storage. Maybe we should keep them out of pk maps so that the pkers aren't constantly crowded around the alter getting attack blessings. It would also keep people from getting magic blessings before they play MD ping pong with each other.

I haven't decided whether each skill should get it's own alter or should the alters be multi-denominational (all skills use the same alter.)

Does this satisfy the people who don't like the idea of using talismans?

If you do it that way, have 1 altar for all gods. Using it would bring up a list of gods from which you can get a blessing.

How would you put 11(?) altars in VotD for example? :whistle:

For the person that mentioned an ankh.....try squinting. It is a cross. Nothing to do with Christianity, but it is a cross.

As for the idea of having a temple on every map, that is about the same thing as having a holy symbol that you hold onto when you pray or silently praying without one.

As for people getting blessings all the time. Would you expect your God to grant your wishes every time that you ask for anything? It could have a chance of failure. It could even have a chance of the god being annoyed with the request and giving you a negative result.

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with stones in this game. What next? Requesting Radu to add kidney stones to the game so your character can double over in pain? Collect 10 and play a game of marbles?

There is an npc in PV that hints at sisters in the temple in South West PV. There is nobody there though.

I like this idea, anything that makes the gods in EL more usable seems good to me.

Ideas I had were:

1. Make the "Relic" or "Holy" object quest related. Once you reach max lvl in the god quests then you do another quest to be able to receive the relic from the priest. Then you can purchase them from the priest to be used. (if you leave the god any relics you bought disappear from sto and you have to do quest again if you rejoin god.)

2. Have them be used with another object like others have said BUT make that item purchasable only from shop. Here me out on this. Make them cheap like 200 polishing cloths for your relic for $5.(even if you go by 8kgc/$1 that makes them 200gc each) That makes them cheap enough for people to buy and put on their Bot or sell on the market for low gc. That way EL can start effectively using it shop more often. You could even base the # of polishing cloths on the "difficulty" of the skill say magic, a/d take 2 cloths instead of one etc. Maybe make them a high lvl monster drop but they would have to be of equivalent rate/value as shop.

3. Think about a cool down time for the item.

For fun relic names :whistle:

Aluwen's Scepter of Defense

Zarin's Jewel of Beauty

Glilin's Hammer of Perfection

Mortos' Mace of Blood

Elandria's Orb of Perception

Unolas' Staff of Power

Jayden's Tome of Complexity

Selian's Statuette of Power

LaForge's Tricorder of Knowledge :P

Etc.. :(

For the person that mentioned an ankh.....try squinting. It is a cross. Nothing to do with Christianity, but it is a cross.

For the person posting, I never said it did, ...try reading.

I mentioned there are 6 objects in that link, that have other affliations, piracy for one.

Again, how hard is a concept to keep El loreplay, within its designs of fantasy roleplay and keep RL associated symbols out of it.

I'm for you idea, and I am voicing concerns that would shitcan it, try appealing to the general audience.

As for the idea of having a temple on every map, that is about the same thing as having a holy symbol that you hold onto when you pray or silently praying without one.

Its not the same thing, because it would require a change to all the maps in the game.

While a new item creation is much simplier to implement, ask for things that could be added, and not

overkill that will be rejected due to time.

As for people getting blessings all the time. Would you expect your God to grant your wishes every time that you ask for anything? It could have a chance of failure. It could even have a chance of the god being annoyed with the request and giving you a negative result.

Well a mortos blessing takes 15 mins to 'wear' off so its reasonable that its already time based.

I do see the possiblity of say a negative reaction from a chaos creature like Mortos, but not Aluwen for instance.

It can't be so negative no one will risk it.

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with stones in this game. What next? Requesting Radu to add kidney stones to the game so your character can double over in pain? Collect 10 and play a game of marbles?

Magical stones are part of EL, the are part of the role\lore play of the game, Its not a terrible

request for a new magical item to remain under the loreplay of the game. Why ffs are you adding nonsense

straw mans in your own suggetion? :whistle:

Well a mortos blessing takes 15 mins to 'wear' off so its reasonable that its already time based.

I do see the possiblity of say a negative reaction from a chaos creature like Mortos, but not Aluwen for instance.

It can't be so negative no one will risk it.

You could put a [wear-off-time] cooldown on it, also affecting the boosting potions (like food items affect each other).

Pardon me, robotbob. I did not word things carefully enough for you.

I meant that having a shrine or something on each map was the same as being able to #pray unolas or use a holy symbol for the players. On the server side, you are right, it would be much more complex to edit all those maps.

I did not mean that anyone suggested an ankh had anything to do with Christianity. I was just putting a disclaimer on my statement for those that assume a cross must be associated with it. If you read other posts of mine, I also suggested other shapes and figures that could represent a particular god.

When I said the thing about people getting blessed all the time, I was referring to the concerns that some people mentioned of the blessings then becoming overused.

My original idea of the #pray god command was what I felt was the simplest thing to implement. It could simply cost X times the normal blessing cost.

[Roleplay] Why would a deity bless someone too lazy to come to his/her temple? [/Roleplay]

Adding prayer beads/stones/symbols will make the blessing available on demand at storage. Then it becomes another part of the mixing ritual (mix, mix, eat, pray, mix, mix, eat, pray...). On the "trainer" side of the game, how many prayers do you use during a prolonged fight?

There should be some element of effort to leveling - without effort, the accomplishment is empty.

Nothing personal on my disagreement of your suggestion.

I would think it'd be quite hard to pray during a fight...

I like elf_ninja's idea.

I disagree. Gimme a club and I'm certain I can get you to pray :)

While not entirely true, there are

:)

Imagine a viking, asking for Odins help in the middle of a bloody battle?

We already can change full armors sets in combat? If you cannot mumble a request for

divine intervention, whilst someone tries to kill you, then how can we completely swap

out Plate armor, while swining a sword and casting magic? :)

Imagine a viking, asking for Odins help in the middle of a bloody battle?

Be nice if the God ignored you and you got a minus att/def penalty :)

Edit: And so it couldnt be used to lower att/def for training, it would only be for a short limited time Ie: -5 att for 2 minutes... that along with the loss of the item is enough penalty for failing :)

Edited by conavar