Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caliphear

Help with Vista - no ini file

I have read and read and tried everything i found posted on this subject.

Im running window vista with ati radeon xpress 1100 on an Acer Aspire 5050. I can enter the game and it crashes immediately and closes. "Eternal Lands Client stopped working".

I have updated drivers (ATI catalyst control), turned on poor man in the settings. It refuses to go off of full screen. I click it to turn it off and it doesnt remove the selection, just flickers. I looked for the ini file.. none there, tried running it from the "run" and it is not found. Tried running el a administrator and changing settings.. still nothing and still no ini file. So now what? :)

Log started at 2009-08-06 09:42:01 localtime (Eastern Daylight Time)

[09:42:01] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[09:42:01] Using the server profile: main

[09:42:01] Window size adjusted to 1018x742

[09:42:01] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

Trying to disable the stencil buffer.

[09:42:01] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

Let's try one more thing...

[09:42:02] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_multitexture extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_point_sprite extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_compression extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shadow extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_program extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_program extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shader_objects extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_fog_coord extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

[09:42:14] Error opening sound configuration file

[09:42:40] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[09:42:40] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:40] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:41] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[09:42:42] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:43] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:43] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:43] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:44] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

[09:42:44] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[09:42:44] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:44] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[09:44:05] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:05] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:05] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:05] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:10] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:10] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:10] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:11] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:15] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:15] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:15] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:15] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:24] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:24] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:24] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:45:03] Error: Can't open file "spells_caliphear.dat"

Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

This says about everything; like you can see also from the many the "Couldn't find ...extension" messages, it's a driver issues.

Have you checked with all ATI Catalyst Control, Vista Autoupdates and Acer website if any update is available? (especially if you have a laptop, you should also check the manufacturer website for newest drivers).

I have read and read and tried everything i found posted on this subject.

Im running window vista with ati radeon xpress 1100 on an Acer Aspire 5050. I can enter the game and it crashes immediately and closes. "Eternal Lands Client stopped working".

I have updated drivers (ATI catalyst control), turned on poor man in the settings. It refuses to go off of full screen. I click it to turn it off and it doesnt remove the selection, just flickers. I looked for the ini file.. none there, tried running it from the "run" and it is not found. Tried running el a administrator and changing settings.. still nothing and still no ini file. So now what? :rolleyes:

Log started at 2009-08-06 09:42:01 localtime (Eastern Daylight Time)

[09:42:01] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[09:42:01] Using the server profile: main

[09:42:01] Window size adjusted to 1018x742

[09:42:01] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:42:01] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:42:02] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_multitexture extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_point_sprite extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_compression extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shadow extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_program extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_program extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shader_objects extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_fog_coord extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[09:42:06] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

[09:42:14] Error opening sound configuration file

[09:42:40] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[09:42:40] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:40] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:41] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[09:42:42] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:43] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:43] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:43] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates180/files.lst

[09:42:44] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

[09:42:44] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[09:42:44] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[09:42:44] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[09:44:05] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:05] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:05] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:05] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:10] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:10] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:10] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:11] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:15] Window size adjusted to 634x424

[09:44:15] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:15] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:15] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:44:24] Hmm... This mode seems to fall back in software 'acceleration'.

[09:44:24] Hmm... No luck without a stencil buffer either...

[09:44:24] Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

[09:45:03] Error: Can't open file "spells_caliphear.dat"

Damn, it seems that you are out of luck, we are in the software mode now, so the game will be veeeeery slow. If you DO have a 3D accelerated card, try to update your OpenGl drivers...

This says about everything; like you can see also from the many the "Couldn't find ...extension" messages, it's a driver issues.

Have you checked with all ATI Catalyst Control, Vista Autoupdates and Acer website if any update is available? (especially if you have a laptop, you should also check the manufacturer website for newest drivers).

Amd.com is the only one that had anything on the chipset that I have. Even the websites posted in el forums did not have anything compatible that I found. And the laptop is only 3 yrs old.

I dont know much about how the catalyst control works, i downloaded it like amd.com said, but i did not go into the actual display settings, video driver, etc and delete anything. I just ran the catalyst and told it to unistall the previous one, then installed the new one and tried it. I then opened it and tried setting it to the high performance instead of quality. still didnt work. Now there is a security shield on the icon on the desktop. Am I not setting something right, doing something right, or is it just ati.

as for the windows updates.. i keep getting error messages everytime it tries it.

having same error messages and closing as soon as i sign in aswell. wont let me resize and el makes it go into safe mode type look. asgnny tried alot 2 help 2night but nothing is working :/ new comp came with vista which im knew 2 :whistle: finally got computer that works and my el wont work :( figures

having same error messages and closing as soon as i sign in aswell. wont let me resize and el makes it go into safe mode type look. asgnny tried alot 2 help 2night but nothing is working :/ new comp came with vista which im knew 2 :) finally got computer that works and my el wont work :) figures

I solved my problem !!!! I used the Program Compatibility Wizard and set it to run as XP, selected the lower resolution, and run as administrator. Once it opened the game, i went to the settings, and set it for poorman..and no eye candy. I can now play.

Just make sure you exit the game and finish with compatibility wizard so it always uses the settings.

Everything is bigger than i'd like but i can play and thats all that matters.

Good Luck and hope this works for you.

Cali

Got so excited but it didnt work :/ still doing same thing, I decided to uninstall (check for even more drivers :/) and renistall. however when i unstalled the folders were still there on my computer (folders were empty) but there. before this happend on old comp and had problems later, any ideas about this before I reinstall again? It wont let me delete them, but dont want to get it working then have problems soon after. any ideas about how to delete these folders? can you only get it running in full screen? ill check back later have to run to work :/ hopefully I can get this working :)

Got so excited but it didnt work :/ still doing same thing, I decided to uninstall (check for even more drivers :/) and renistall. however when i unstalled the folders were still there on my computer (folders were empty) but there. before this happend on old comp and had problems later, any ideas about this before I reinstall again? It wont let me delete them, but dont want to get it working then have problems soon after. any ideas about how to delete these folders? can you only get it running in full screen? ill check back later have to run to work :/ hopefully I can get this working :wub:

I ran the vista update like they told me to on these forums, there was actually an update in there for my video card. I also uninstalled my McAfee ( there was a problem with it anyway). One of my guild members told me to shut off some un-needed start up items to free up resources. There are website out there that can tell you what you can safely shut off like microsoft meeting etc..

You might want to try turning off your virus software temporarily while you install the game. It can actually stop programs from installing properly. Make sure your windows defender,Firewall, and all of those are OFF. You can find those under your control panel.

After you uninstall the game... go into my computer, then your c drive, then program files. The EL folder should be there. Right click on the folder and choose delete. Then go to My Documents, and find the EL folder in there. Right click on it and delete that. Then empty your recycle bin just in case.

Download a new copy of the installation from eternal-lands.com ( i used the french mirror). Install the program but do not run it yet. Instead go to the program compatibility wizard and choose the EL game, set it to run as administrator, and choose the low resolution, and run it as windows xp.

When it starts the game and before you log in, go to settings and unclick the full screen mode and make sure it is set to the low resolution. Also click on the poor man option on one of the other tabs. then close the settings and try logging in. Dont forget to close the game out and choose if it worked or not on the program compatibility wizard to save the settings.

I'm not sure exactly which one of these made mine work, or if it was a combination. I did so much trying to get it to work. So hopefully something I did might help get yours working. Just make sure you run the vista update.. very important.

Good Luck.

Cali

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this