Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KoDdy

Bigger buddy list

What about make bigger buddy list? like *2 more space than is now and make that,that would show u also underline offline buddies etc? i think that more players would welcome that ^^

-KoDdy

And a command so you can see who is on your buddies list like "#list_buddy" or something like that so i can delet some peoples :F

What about make bigger buddy list? like *2 more space than is now and make that,that would show u also underline offline buddies etc? i think that more players would welcome that ^^

-KoDdy

Current server design ... the server only knows the names of your buddies that are online. It doesn't have the names available of the offline buddies. I suspect Ent would consider a larger buddy list being a P2P feature.

And a command so you can see who is on your buddies list like "#list_buddy" or something like that so i can delet some peoples :F

#Edit: yes or that...

Edited by KoDdy

-KoDdy

Current server design ... the server only knows the names of your buddies that are online. It doesn't have the names available of the offline buddies. I suspect Ent would consider a larger buddy list being a P2P feature.

Maybe a stupid question of mine.. but how are the Ignored People saved then.. afaik the list command shows those who are offline

as well or am i wrong?

Sincerly,

Fabi

Maybe a stupid question of mine.. but how are the Ignored People saved then.. afaik the list command shows those who are offline

as well or am i wrong?

Ignores are saved locally, in a file named local_ignores.txt alongside your chat log. The reason is clear: it is the client that, when received a PM or line or local chat from a character, checks whether it should ignore the message or proceed with displaying it. The server sends the messages regardless of whether they are ignored or not.

In contrast, with buddies the client needs notification from the server to know whether a buddy comes online or logs off, so it is the server that has to know who your buddies are. Most probably, it only checks against some off-line list when a player comes up or goes down, and the check is costly (having to access disk data), so it is only performed in the processing of those two events. Those are just my guesses though, I have no idea how it all is actually implemented.

-KoDdy

Why not, consider something as payment for fixing it.. like the donations or something.

It's a 'problem' since day 1, as far as I know. All this time it was not worth fixing it... cause it was too complicated or something.

Why not either just make the lists 2 times as big, without asking $ for it. Like come on, paying $ for a bigger buddy list :D (when you can't even see the list), what comes next...

Learner, why do I have the feeling that this is also connected to the problem where you can't check or change the rank of guildmembers that are not online?

You can boot folk that are offline from a guild. Not sure if that is related or not. Probably a different database table or in-memory storage structure.

I hope that both issues can be addressed at the same time. Managing a guild is sort of annoying considering the possibly related problem that I mentioned. Managing a buddy list is difficult at the moment too.

If you must reset your buddylist,good idea is start to keep track of buddys,and add all on notepad.

And keep matches closeby incase you want to make a fire.

If you must reset your buddylist,good idea is start to keep track of buddys,and add all on notepad.

You could also check your chat_log. If you haven't been recording buddies offline since the start.

some thing like

grep "been added to your buddy" chat_log.txt

works for the unix nerds.

The fact it is possible via chatlog searching to discover people who don't log on any more that you added to your buddy list doesn't for a second mean that the suggestions are less valid, worthwhile or obviously a good idea.

Just saying.

You could also check your chat_log. If you haven't been recording buddies offline since the start.

some thing like

grep "been added to your buddy" chat_log.txt

works for the unix nerds.

~/.elc/main$ cat srv_log.txt |grep to\ your\ buddy\ list

more accurately.

That is according to what settings you have active. If it is set to separate server logs, Raytray is listing the right log file. Otherwise, boognish is.

(yawns)

Current server design

Well, back to the server design chalkboard then :blink:

Isn't it cool to sit on your ass and tell others what to do? And weren't you suggesting a while ago that I should get a full time job and spend even less time working at the server?

But it so happens that this was on my todo list already, and in fact I promissed players on channel 6 that I will improve the buddy list a little.

Isn't it cool to sit on your ass and tell others what to do?

I'd be happy to spend a fair bit of my time, which usually costs people AU$70 p/h, to help you, for free, in any way i can, with anything i personally support.

And weren't you suggesting a while ago that I should get a full time job and spend even less time working at the server?

You left out the bit where i said that if you got a day-job for like 1-2 years you could emphasise making the game more fun, rather than more profitable, to then attract more players and end up with better profit down the track.

But it so happens that this was on my todo list already, and in fact I promissed players on channel 6 that I will improve the buddy list a little.

Great to hear :>

I'd be happy to spend a fair bit of my time, which usually costs people AU$70 p/h, to help you, for free, in any way i can, with anything i personally support.

That's great to hear. Can you do C programming? There are some client buddy list things that need to be done as well.

And weren't you suggesting a while ago that I should get a full time job and spend even less time working at the server?

You left out the bit where i said that if you got a day-job for like 1-2 years you could emphasise making the game more fun, rather than more profitable, to then attract more players and end up with better profit down the track.

Working 8 hours per day, plus perhaps 1-2 hours to go to work and back doesn't leave much time for the game programming, no? Your suggestion was more along the lines: Make some quick changes, such as remove the rostogols and lower the ingredient prices, not add more features to the game.

That's great to hear. Can you do C programming? There are some client buddy list things that need to be done as well.

Sadly, i'm not a coder, just a lowly technical consultant.

Your suggestion was more along the lines: Make some quick changes, such as remove the rostogols and lower the ingredient prices,

I don't know exactly what/when you're referring to, but if i suggested to remove rosto's it would only have been in conjunction with MAJOR lowing of equipment costs...

But yes, much of my suggestions are to remove items, or restrict certain item usage, or lower the cost of certain items.

not add more features to the game.

Yes... you only ever seem willing to add or change, never remove...

(With the exception of lack of usage instances, like with Speed Hax potions and Horses... the funny thing is, those are the times change would have been better than remove.)

Realising this, i've suggested new items (such as the 'dragon great swords') as additions that will achieve as closer as possible result that a previous remove suggestion would have... but based on your lack of comment in those suggestions, i'm assuming for now that you don't think they're a good idea.

I've also in the past suggested change, like lowering the bronze sword damage a bit, but once again; it appears you don't think it's a good idea.

features

And just my opinion of course; the game has a lot of great systems and features in place, and time would be better spent tuning and refining the balance of supporting elements around those systems and features, rather than just implementing more and more "new features".

I don't know exactly what/when you're referring to, but if i suggested to remove rosto's it would only have been in conjunction with MAJOR lowing of equipment costs...

Well, what you want is making the PKing easier, so removing the rostogols and have no drops anywhere would help with the costs (training would be cheaper, more money for PKing). But yes, I know you have other suggestions.

But yes, much of my suggestions are to remove items, or restrict certain item usage, or lower the cost of certain items.

Not sure if you realize, but most people would be very pissed if you remove the items they paid a lot of money for.

Realising this, i've suggested new items (such as the 'dragon great swords') as additions that will achieve as closer as possible result that a previous remove suggestion would have... but based on your lack of comment in those suggestions, i'm assuming for now that you don't think they're a good idea.

As you know, I was on a 2+ weeks vacation, I didn't have time to read most of the posts.

I've also in the past suggested change, like lowering the bronze sword damage a bit, but once again; it appears you don't think it's a good idea.

Lowering their damage would make them unuseful, people would just use thermals, which are more or less the next best thing, but lower cost of ownership.

And just my opinion of course; the game has a lot of great systems and features in place, and time would be better spent tuning and refining the balance of supporting elements around those systems and features, rather than just implementing more and more "new features".

You mean you never seen updates that were more or less just tunning existing stuff?

Well, what you want is making the PKing easier

"Easier" isn't what i want, I want it made cheaper to partake in 'top-level' PK, and the combat weight of luck and riches reduced.

Really, much of my suggestions will make me more vulnerable to attacks from a wider array of weaker opponents (i.e. they wont have to be rich), especially if they're in groups.

Not sure if you realize, but most people would be very pissed if you remove the items they paid a lot of money for.

Yes, but you could always just stop an item being buyable/manufacturable.

Like if you stopped the NPC selling bronze sword and stopped it being mixable, the ones people had paid for, they could use, and for a little while it would be annoying, but eventually they'd all break and that'd be that.

The only real concern is that some people would keep them only for no breaks #day.

As you know, I was on a 2+ weeks vacation, I didn't have time to read most of the posts.

Well i made that post 11 days before you went on vacation... but fair enough, 11 days still isn't long, i understand you'll check suggestions when you feel like it and have time.

Lowering their damage would make them unuseful, people would just use thermals, which are more or less the next best thing, but lower cost of ownership.

Well my suggestion was to change them to 40-50 damage (HERE), it's still significant, it's basically a halberd u can use a shield with but with much better accuracy and crit bonuses... probably still OP tbh ;p ...further considering the heat protection from dragon armors (and the cold too on IDA), can you really believe it would be made obsolete by the therm serp?

Seriously, the wep is fucked as it is, the tiniest bit of lag and u can go from like 150+ health to suddenly in the UW, and that's not even only if your opponent is much stronger, a couple of lucky hits + crit-dmg from anyone and it's over.

I should know, since i've killed multiple top 20 ranked a/d'ers over the last few weeks with my <60 ranked a/d... i don't attribute those kills to skill, or strategy, or pr0ness... they were just bronze sword luck, and IMO it's bs for those top 20's that all i need to kick them to the UW is a bit of luck. If i kill them because of a mixture of equipment selection stragegy, fast reaction time and mid battle tactics, and a bit of luck as well, that sounds reasonable, they'll have failed because they phail... but if it's just slap on a bronzie and go go go, it's not balanced.

You mean you never seen updates that were more or less just tunning existing stuff?

Yes, there have been some.

Some have been good, like the removal of the TS failing effect and increasing some monster gc drops, but then a lot have been weird... i wont get into the details on a recent one i found odd, unless you'd like me to.

Edited by Korrode

Well, what you want is making the PKing easier

"Easier" isn't what i want, I want it made cheaper to partake in 'top-level' PK, and the combat weight of luck and riches reduced.

Cheaper means easier.

Yes, but you could always just stop an item being buyable/manufacturable.

Like if you stopped the NPC selling bronze sword and stopped it being mixable, the ones people had paid for, they could use, and for a little while it would be annoying, but eventually they'd all break and that'd be that.

The only real concern is that some people would keep them only for no breaks #day.

This would only work for the bronze sword and a few other high break chance items. The other items, however, can last for years before breaking, if not used all the time.

Well my suggestion was to change them to 40-50 damage (HERE), it's still significant, it's basically a halberd u can use a shield with but with much better accuracy and crit bonuses... probably still OP tbh ;p ...further considering the heat protection from dragon armors (and the cold too on IDA), can you really believe it would be made obsolete by the therm serp?

Not a lot of people wear dragon armor in KF, and since the total cost of ownership is significantly higher than thermal, there would be little or no good reason to use a bronze sword if it only does damage equivalent to the thermal (assuming no dragon armor).

Seriously, the wep is fucked as it is, the tiniest bit of lag and u can go from like 150+ health to suddenly in the UW, and that's not even only if your opponent is much stronger, a couple of lucky hits + crit-dmg from anyone and it's over.

If it were that good, everyone would use it, no? From what I've seen in KF, most of the time it is not used. And if you die in KF, big deal, you just walk back from the UW and that's it.

I should know, since i've killed multiple top 20 ranked a/d'ers over the last few weeks with my <60 ranked a/d... i don't attribute those kills to skill, or strategy, or pr0ness... they were just bronze sword luck, and IMO it's bs for those top 20's that all i need to kick them to the UW is a bit of luck. If i kill them because of a mixture of equipment selection stragegy, fast reaction time and mid battle tactics, and a bit of luck as well, that sounds reasonable, they'll have failed because they phail... but if it's just slap on a bronzie and go go go, it's not balanced.

I very much doubt there is a big difference between rank 20 and rank 60 a/d. Something less than 10%. I do not want to make a game where weak players have no chance of killing strong players.

Some have been good, like the removal of the TS failing effect and increasing some monster gc drops, but then a lot have been weird... i wont get into the details on a recent one i found odd, unless you'd like me to.

Yeah, well, Korrode is not the only player.

Well i could quote each section of your post and respond, but with statements like "Cheaper means easier", it's obvious we're using different English dictionaries... and with statements like "I do not want to make a game where weak players have no chance of killing strong players" It's obvious that even after all this you're not at all grasping what my suggestions would achieve...

So forget it, lol.

Yeah, well, Korrode is not the only player.

True enough, but don't forget, Entropy isn't a player at all.

Edited by Korrode