Eternal Lands Official Forums
tokie

Making EL better

Paul people wana have fun.

For some people its mixing with there friends. For others its killing players from Europe :P

Either way, playing for like 6 months to get beat by some char buyer/gc buyer/nexeus buyer is just the fail...

Idk exactly what the time is..But korrode said somthing one time. Like 2 years to of total training and NORMAL gc making to even be competative in KF and not get owned...Trying to be Mr Superhero is another thing.

Either way, playing for like 6 months to get beat by some char buyer/gc buyer/nexeus buyer is just the fail...

So then if this seems to be the problem then why are people like yourself suggesting character resets?

I don't think it's fair to any person, like myself, who has worked all their own skills to loose that all because people want to buy/sell nexus/characters/gold coin.

I'm working on my 4th 100 skill right now and I can tell you that if people were to get a full stats wipe then it would do the opposite of what some think and actually "force" players to leave.

And iirc did you not once buy a character?

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Unofficial_EL_For...opic/1428310/1/

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Unofficial_EL_For...topic/948882/1/

And if you say that was because you "had to buy a character to compete" is fail.

Your feeding into the same issue that "bothers" you.

Edited by Paul Brown

I think the main reason people are "not" having fun grinding is because they spend too much time grinding. Period...

I don't often agree with you, but that's dead on. If trying to compete in skill levels by only mixing the "perfect" item to maximize your time/xp/gc is boring, try something else.

I don't think there is a skill in the game that does not involve grinding. In my opinion, harvesting is a form of grinding.

It's all a form of grinding, sure, it's that style of a game. But maybe harvest different resources instead of just ings to power level each skill.

Idk exactly what the time is..But korrode said somthing one time. Like 2 years to of total training and NORMAL gc making to even be competative in KF and not get owned...Trying to be Mr Superhero is another thing.

What's wrong w/ that? People earn the right to be better fighters by working for it. If you don't like it, try a game w/ level caps where you can level more quickly and build multiple characters. Or try the 100 a/d cap on the pk server - that's a more reasonable goal to reach.

Either way, being a strong fighter will require some amount of effort, either put forth by you or someone else, in which case you will be required to compensate them for this effort. If you're hoping to walk in day 1 and have the same strengths & advantages as every other player, go play deathmatch in some random shooter.

I dont so much suport the server reset.

I do 100% suport the idea of capping a/d at 100....Simple. Anybody can get to 100 in a short while...

Sir_Exeus on unno is not me. Sir_Exeus here isn't me either. Aislinn banned our accounts and only let us have one so I just use it lol...But yeh I did cuz every1 else does. If it takes 6 months to level to 100 and I can WORK in real-life for like a week and get enough for a char why not just do that lol...

Totally of the subject tho.

I respect that you are one of those people who have a 100% natural char. If I ever thought of suporting the server reset then I change my opinion.

Just capp a/d :P

I do 100% suport the idea of capping a/d at 100....Simple. Anybody can get to 100 in a short while...

True, but i'm still below 100 a/d and i am playing since late 2003.

Maybe the problem is, that some people have something called RL. That might sound strange, but it is a fact somehow.

Maybe a solution for this "i can't win in KF", "PK is dead" debate is to have a map, where everybody, who enters there, has 100 a/d, no matter of the real a/d levels of a char.

Then everybody could fight there with others and dont have to whine about char buyers or complain about leveling the own char for years just for nothing.

How does this sound?

Piper

chr0nik- cuz i dont wana start another crusade

But you don't trade a/d to much do ya :>

Ur idea :P 'ing The_Piper right now

Maybe a solution for this "i can't win in KF", "PK is dead" debate is to have a map, where everybody, who enters there, has 100 a/d, no matter of the real a/d levels of a char.

Suggested before, multiple times, still a damn good idea.

That said, even with such a map, the effects of RL$ or people with huge amounts of spare time will still be felt; i.e. the chars with heaps of bought pp's, pushing (and in some cases exceeding) 5 attributes at cap.

I think the main reason newbies leave is because they don't make friends that fast. I remember if i hadnt of made all the EL friends i have now i woulda quit. Almost everyone knows EL is addicting but tell me this, when you think of EL what do you see? Other people! Your not the only one on EL and imo newbies leave because of lack of attention. Not that they think they'll ever be pro, if anything thats a goal to try to pass. I dont think a character whipe is the right action for this.

Adopt a Newbie!

I think the main reason newbies leave is because they don't make friends that fast. I remember if i hadnt of made all the EL friends i have now i woulda quit. Almost everyone knows EL is addicting but tell me this, when you think of EL what do you see? Other people! Your not the only one on EL and imo newbies leave because of lack of attention. Not that they think they'll ever be pro, if anything thats a goal to try to pass. I dont think a character whipe is the right action for this.

Adopt a Newbie!

Why are people requesting pvp have level limits when there are plenty of level locked arenas that are deserted all the time.

I didn't have time to level my character to 100+, so I stopped at 35 and pvped for a good year instead of grind.

Just make a large pvp map, that is 100 a/d or lower only.

I am a noob. I do not think any noob cares or even knows to care about pk or player levels or attributes or capping levels.

I cannot emphasize more, the need to decrease the steep learning curve and make it easier for beginners to level up and get gold. Walking around killing rabbits and rats, is a great incentive to leave and find another game.

Also, I like the idea, "Adopt a noob" :) It makes a huge difference for more experienced people to help out the nooberts, the people who wander aimlessly about in IP, by giving them advice or even giving them a sword. I mean, who wants to play a video game where you are getting killed by brownies?!! And see tons of midgets called ants everywhere, and people meditating?

In any case, this game is very lovable. And I enjoy it,

* Also, I read through a couple of previous pages. I think EL can be greatly improved if the economy or the ability to make gold, was simpler and easier, or fine tuned: there needs to be more avenues to make money for beginners. It's in the economy me thinks.

EUREKA! I think this game needs a Stock Market. Why not implement some sort of betting or hedging feature?

1. Betting on players in arenas: Can add player vs. beast or bot. Like gladiators. Would make arenas useful and allow people to earn money quick, or lose it too.

2. Stock market: allow bot owners to adjust prices for each item. Allow people to invest in "bot stocks" or portions of the value of the bot's holdings. Each investor gets a share and a dividend if the bot owner manages the bot successfully. If not they lose money. This feature would allow smart nooberts to earn money. | If bots are not possible, maybe allow the experienced members who can manufacture or tailor or make potions, have storefronts in which they can sell their goods. And people could buy virtual stock in these companies.

3. Free storage and healing is capped for experienced players. Why not implement as a last resort, a fast way of earning money on Isla only, and once the player reaches a certain level he can no longer access the feature: maybe have a bot seller in IP that is subsidized.

Edited by Aetius

I am a noob. I do not think any noob cares or even knows to care about pk or player levels or attributes.

I cannot emphasize more, the need to decrease the steep learning curve and make it easier for beginners to level up and get gold. Walking around killing rabbits and rats, is a great incentive to leave and find another game.

Also, I like the idea, "Adopt a noob" :) It makes a huge difference for more experienced people to help out the nooberts, the people who wander aimlessly about in IP, by giving them advice or even giving a sword. I mean, who wants to play a video game where you are getting killed by brownies?!! And see tons of midgets called ants everywhere, and people meditating?

In any case, this game is very lovable. And I enjoy it,

Funny, there is a NPC named Tutorial NPC, which gives you some quests and even gives you a sword and some armor.

I dont want to call you stupid, Aetius, or whatever, but you mentioned a very interesting point: Giving newbies somthing to do (quests) and giving them free stuff (sword and armor).

So i ask just out of interest, because the Tutorial NPC is there for that exact reason:

Haven't you seen the Tutorial NPC, or didnt you talk to him, because you don't like to go through a load of text written in a 5 dot character set and click through several menus?

What is the reason, that the Tutorial NPC couldn't give you some goals/quests to do as a newbie, and you couldn't get the free stuff he gives to newbies?

Piper

PS: *cough*bring newbie island back*cough*

I am all for making the game greatly easier for noobs.

Really once a player has reached 40+ in whatever skill they like, they

will be "hooked" to play onward. If it wasn't for the market being dynamic when

I started, I would have quit facing hours of selling lilacs to an a npc.

(which is THE way for noobs to make any money, (was also the blue lups) )

--

I'll +1 a stock market, exchange system, commodities exchange. Real life capitalist economies

are dependent on them, why not el, since its 'free market'.

---

Maybe a "entrance poll" to real newbs to see "what was fun, what was tedious, what made them stay"

no real way to get a "exit poll".

--

I 2nd the_pipers "newb island return" and more freebies from the Tutorial NPC, suggestion.

I recommend a 'unlimited freebies, based on skill level of that particular freebie.

Yes!

The stock market idea I like a lot!

And the gladiator idea. Betting on winners in arenas.

Perhaps also, to make the bot owners have an incentive to manage their bots and the pricing, there can be a GC to $. Nothing to make a living off of though. But a slight incentive to reward people for having successful bot businesses.

To make the beginning game a bit less tedious for new players, I have previously suggested modifying the price scale for sigils. If Increase and Health were e.g. 100gc each, global at 150gc, maybe working up to Knowledge at 10k gc, more overall gc would be sunk, but fewer new players would be sitting, mindlessly harvesting lilacs for hours on end.

As far as gc to $, this could be accomplished with another previously suggested (conavar?) idea of $-tokens. A player could buy these tokens from the EL shop, and they would be redeemable for EL shop goods & services, and/or maybe to an npc which sells some common shop purchased items, such as EFE, EME, Rostogols, etc.

Being new to EL is very hard for anyone who hasn't experienced it before. And certain aspects of the game that could allow for the possibility to make a bit of gold coin is left in the dark or unreachable for lower levels like the lottery for instance.

Why not make some sort of minor reward system adjustments to quest for instance. Here is how it could work...

A newbie completes the tutorial quest and upon completion they receive their weapon and armors along with a "lottery ticket" which could then be brought and traded for 1 entry into the EL lottery. This could be done with each quest in the game giving added incentive for people to complete them along with a "forced" introduction to the lottery system.

A NPC near the docks that when spoken to informs new players of the wonders of serving Gods in EL. Mentioning the benefit of each one.

Completion of the "Past Quest" give a excavator cloak as a reward thus saving newer players some gold coin and a mention of the cape seller in White Stone City.

These are just a few ideas but they could help with the intense learning curve of EL considerably for newer players.

A newbie completes the tutorial quest and upon completion they receive their weapon and armors along with a "lottery ticket" which could then be brought and traded for 1 entry into the EL lottery. This could be done with each quest in the game giving added incentive for people to complete them along with a "forced" introduction to the lottery system.

If every new player had a chance at the lottery, it would make existing players not want to participate. Lottery tickets are a luxury item, not a necessity for newer players.

A NPC near the docks that when spoken to informs new players of the wonders of serving Gods in EL. Mentioning the benefit of each one.
Sounds good.

Completion of the "Past Quest" give a excavator cloak as a reward thus saving newer players some gold coin and a mention of the cape seller in White Stone City.

Unless it's an involved quest, this sounds like it could flood the player base with excavator cloaks. If new players are not hard pressed for a relative ton of gc for other requirements, the immediate need for an excavator cloak would be diminished.

If every new player had a chance at the lottery, it would make existing players not want to participate. Lottery tickets are a luxury item, not a necessity for newer players.

If you look at RL, lottery tickets are more bought by people who lack money. Also, it will probably work more stimulating for other players to participate, since they know the pot is gonna be bigger with newbies turning them in.

Whether this in fact will increase or decrease the money sink it's supposed to be, would have to be tested, since now some of the pot is entered without loss of gc.

Unless it's an involved quest, this sounds like it could flood the player base with excavator cloaks. If new players are not hard pressed for a relative ton of gc for other requirements, the immediate need for an excavator cloak would be diminished.

The past quest is too easy and if you really mean the Seridia tour given by the Wraith after past completion, then the excavator reward is not really fitting as this quest already needs an MM. A quest that allows you to make an excavator (no fail) from quest components, non repeatable, starting at IP might be a good idea. Even if the things you need to bring the various NPC's total to 2700gc if sold, it is a nice alternative way of obtaining one.