Eternal Lands Official Forums
tokie

Making EL better

I will try to keep this as short n simple as I can. Players come to EL and make a Character. They are taught by other players how to get started. Then they go out and see these 300+ Health players walk bye, and get bummed after realizing that what they saw is a Character that was bought and sold,bought and sold,and bought again, and that they will NEVER be able to be like that...then they quit. If Radu wants to get more People to stay and play, He has to even things out.

I do not know the #'s of those who stay vs those who quit. But I'll bet Tokie that there are more who quit, than stay.

So, here is an "idea", on how to keep more Players comin' back : C-1 and C-2 have everything alike,all the same ores n flowers n st00f, iirc. so why not make C-1 for self made Characters and C-2 for purchased Characters. Or, even if Radu justs hooks it up so Made Characters can use the Arenas on C-1,(including K-F) and C-2 Arenas for Purchased Characters...and give them another K-F type map as well. The idea of the DP Arenas was / is a good idea,yet there are still Arenas that get no use. Continue with this concept with the rest of the available Arenas... Do this for both C-1 and C-2 making "Capped A/D Arenas" for both Made and Purchased Characters, but keep them a Continent apart.

With Capped Arenas, there is room for all to play. And by seperating the 2 different classes of Players, Radu can help keep 'em coming back, thereby reducing the number of those who make Characters, then return to "other games" just beacuse they "have a fighting chance" to get somewhere and be someone who matters.

Due to privacy reasons I cant say names: but... everyone who joins Poundin'You (#nU) Guild registers via e-mail.

Those who quit after some time, I contact, and 9 times outta' 10, the reason they give for not returning is that they claim that E-L is too lop-sided and that they dont have a Prayers chance in Hell of ever "catching up...or even coming close" to those in the Arenas or out in K-F. This "idea" is sure to cause some flap...but, I'd bet Tokie that 1/2 of those who dissagree with this "idea" are also using a Bought Character, and want to keep on preying on those smaller than themselves. If you want to respond to this, please do so...and also (if you dare) tell me why you dont agree, and if your Character is a Made or a Bought.

Respectfully,

Tokie

GM of Poundin'You (#nU) Guild

Personally I do not like the practice of buying characters.

Making c2 bought characters only could be pretty bad since c2 has more than what c1 has to offer. I find myself venturing into c2 more and more often. c2 has hydro, more spawns, feros and dcw, lenny, and tanta in PA, among other things such as the npcs in glacmor and zirak.

I'd rather see all the arenas made no drops, (except NC since that's the one that Radu made a command to send people to. :P )

There isn't a way you could really track bought characters, IP changed, what if the original owners moved? I guess you could tell by their character/attitude but, that would be opinion based.

I do not think there is a label that could be applied to them by the server that could allow them to be restricted to an entire continent atm. Not to mention it'd be entirely unfair to them. And for the "self made man" to be restricted to certain maps.

edit: The reason I play isn't to catch up, it's just to accomplish my own set goals.

edit edit: for clarification.

Edited by Raytray

i doubt this would be done, and non bought chars should be allowed access to c2 if they did do it, but i certainly understand your frustrations, need to play hard 12 hours a day to even have a chance to catch up and for most of us thats impossible.

stopped reading after 5-6 lines...

get some sense please, its a MMORPG, not a devide and conquer kinda game.

next up: split the silver harvers from the iron harvers and give both their own map they cant leave?

maybe more players will play/come back if some stuff is removed/added thats been suggested by experienced players, as long as it makes sense, makes gameplay fun and keeps a happy community without screwing the game.

. . . . . .

Your light isn't very bright is it? :\

#1. You haven't PKed nearly long enough to even know the finest concept of it.

#2. You have trained to 50s a/d.

#3. It takes shit-all time to train up to 90s-100s a/d.

#4. This suggestion is impossible, and there's no way of programming to know which char is purchased and then make it only valid and able to stay on c2.

#5. I didn't buy my char, actually it's fairly new.

#6. Your ex-guildies, have no heart. When they going gets tough, they get going obviously.

#7. It doesn't matter if the char is bought or trained, they spent time training/bought those levels

#8. If radu wanted the odds to be more even, he would've capped the a/d at 120-130 before letting people train to 150/160 a/d/oa. (the highest char in game is almost 170 oa!)

#9. If you want a real idea, speak to Infamous/Korrode. They have continuously tried to improve the game with suggestions, but get shot down by people who think "omfg a new change no fucking way it's bad because I can't do anything close to what they can doing my skill!! So I'm going to make everyone suffer because I can't get what I want).

I lost count of how many times trying to knock you some sense, but seems your edged against that it's the char buyers that ruin everything. Next week it will be ebul harvesters raising price of harvestables because the pickaxes are breaking way too fast!!~1

+1 to this.

stopped reading after 5-6 lines...

get some sense please, its a MMORPG, not a devide and conquer kinda game.

next up: split the silver harvers from the iron harvers and give both their own map they cant leave?

maybe more players will play/come back if some stuff is removed/added thats been suggested by experienced players, as long as it makes sense, makes gameplay fun and keeps a happy community without screwing the game.

-bigk.

i know what will make this game better:

stop whining

stop bitching

stop being mean to people with less experience than you (not directed at anyone in particular, it happens all the time)

and most of all:

go back to just enjoying ourselves again?

I dislike the practice of character buying - but we all know it happens and have to deal with it.

But while I dislike character buying - i hate (yes hate, I don't use this word often) discrimination, and telling a player they cannot go to c1 because they paid for their character is just that. What next - female chars can only use votd and male chars dp? EL (and every other MMORPG come to that) is about bring people together not forcing them apart.

Aside from all that - it would be next to impossible to implement!

Edited by WolfWitch

All characters are trained right? :P

Anyway, input from new players is always welcome I guess. Just try to format your post a bit better and perhaps think about what you suggest a little bit longer.

Maybe the frustrations are more apparent to the ones that want to build a pvp character, but I don't see character buying affecting me much.

300 hp? start some other games and see players with 10k higher hp than you are starting with.

Maybe they should just make a pay server where all charrracters have the same a/d, x amount of pp's to spend, and unlimited armor/weapon/consumable resources. Then it would be more about skill and strategy than it is about how much you can buy.

or everyone can stop whining about goldbuying/charbuying.

radu is happy with the char/gc buying and alot of players leaving so lets keep it at that.

such a shame though, the game has so much potential

Maybe the frustrations are more apparent to the ones that want to build a pvp character, but I don't see character buying affecting me much.

300 hp? start some other games and see players with 10k higher hp than you are starting with.

Maybe they should just make a pay server where all charrracters have the same a/d, x amount of pp's to spend, and unlimited armor/weapon/consumable resources. Then it would be more about skill and strategy than it is about how much you can buy.

I would say People really get bored fast if they have everything with the start (i hope i didnt miss the sarcasm in your post).

Anyways, in the Time I've been playing i bought 2 Chars, never bragged about rather tried to keep it secret most of the Time

(because People used to start whining, bitching to me in PMs if they knew).

Even though i bought Chars, i still think its a bad thing for the Game, but something we have to live with. Discriminating the Players

by restricting what they're allowed to do would be a ridiculous act.

It takes a hell lotta Time to catch up to the People in the high Ranks, with enough Patience its not impossible to have some serious

fun together with the better players. I admit i didnt had that Patience, even though i mainly bought the Chars cause of the a/d, now

im Potioning and Mixing more than i actually fight. So i still got a different impact on the bought Char with leveling up a pretty low

skill to a 50s Skill, does that make me less worthy to play whereever/whatever i want? oO

Just my couple Cents

Sincerly,

Scorp

You know what would fix everything? A character wipe.

The players don't want to do it though. Just live with the fact that EL will always be broken because of the stupid player base.

Edited by sora_barzahd

Not a big fan of this idea.

I trained my own character from scratch and I love c2 more than c1.

It would be a punishment to not be able to use c2 just because I made all the levels on my character myself and didn't go and buy a character.

IMO if c2 was to only be used by character buyers then even more people would buy just to have access to c2.

There are other reasons I do not like this idea but the c1 and c2 is just the basic reason why this isn't a good idea.

The players don't want to do it though. So live with it.

I disagree

Charater buying and selling is really not an issue, as those charaters where trainned up, its just different people behind the keyboard.

I have noticed in a lot of cases the Char Buyers are easier to defeat then their original owners. Leveling up to be a good fighter takes a long time. But once you hit level 100-110 a/d, you start to become competitive. And it is possible to hone your skills to become a better pker/fighter. For example, I remember when dp arean first became level capped. I was there with my 90's a/d charater. a titanium axe, a col and a nice rosto. I was attacked by a less then 40's a/der (later found out it was a guy name mufossa) who was well known fighter/trainner/pker. He lost the first time he attacked me, the second time, with some clever weapon/armor/cape combo, he came back and kicked the rosto right out of my pocket. It was a valuable lesson.

Remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.Dont be afraid of the bigger a/ders. Go fight them, and learn from your mistakes. Try different combos of weps, armors, meds, staffs etc. Get to learn the equipment. You will do a little better each time. Take advantage of the No drop KF. When I was learning how to pk a bit, I think I lost 40 rostos in a month or two. But Talk to the others fighters, learn from them. Watch what equipment they use. And have fun!

The players don't want to do it though. Just live with the fact that EL will always be broken because of the stupid player base.

Character wipe, remove pp-buying and add caps. Done deal.

If you are new to this game... and you want to pk... training your own char is totally useless, you just buy one. (If you don't want to use $, make coins, sell for $ and buy a char, 100 times faster than training.) As long as this is the case, you'll always see chars changing owner.

and what about make any newbie map,where will be only starting players with tutorial and they can move out with dunno ...for example a/d 10 harvest 12? or so,it is only idea...

I think, if ppl leave EL, because it's hard to catch up to players playing for a longer time, they just should leave and play games like Tetris or something which isnt that time consuming like EL (and other games) is.

It takes time to level your char, and thats not everybody's cup of tea. There will be always people which log in here and find out, that they dont like such games. That's nothing special, that just happens.

Piper

I have played this game for years, and there are players I will never catch, mainly because I am not in a race with them.

EL is a game you have to be in for the long haul, you need to plan and interact to achieve most things. While I enjoy this aspect, most gamers are looking for the instant glory of other games, and that is probably why they leave EL so fast. Are you sure it is the "300" your always complaining about, or is it the pr0 mixers? Tbh, it is very difficult to get, say, 100 pot level, while 100a/d is much simpler. I prefer a base of players that have been around for a while, and new ones who have the fortitude to play a long term game, to a bunch of new players who will leave as soon as times get rough,i.e. getting killed by stronger players; not being able to mix pr0 by week 3; etc.

I am curious, if this idea was to happen, would you want capped training sessions? As there will always be players who can train twice the amount i can, per day. At the end of the day, the only player you should worry about, is yourself.

And pls, give up on the "300" rants. Most of the time, it seems a bit jealous. FFS train your character instead of wasting your time with pointless rants about players who have spent their time working for what they have.

I always get a laugh out of these people who think their idea is so awesome and revolutionary that it needs to go in general chat, not suggestions.

There's been heaps of other suggestions over the years that related to leveling the PK battlefield, most of them much better than this one.

Anything else i could say would only be repeating what Infa or Kav have already said.

WTH :blink: ?

I'm one of those "300 health" characters and this is the same character i started with! I have NEVER bought or sold any characters and never intend to nor have the desire to. Geesh i built this character the way i wanted to. i've even reset 3-4 times (cant remember), and i worked my but off to get to where i am now.

Do you think everyone in EL who has 300 or more health bought thier characters? NO! They actually played, leveled thier skills, and guess what, had fun doing it. If u play and get annoyed by looking at higher level health, TURN OFF THE HEALTH OPTION! Yeah , u can do that, or change it to just the bar.

Restrict my access to maps that i have been going to for years for resources i need because i did not buy my character is the silliest thing i've heard.

Who said you have to compete ? Why dont you just play and have fun ? It's a game. <------Notice i said game, that means it's suppose to be fun. If you want to compete, set personal goals for yourself, perhaps set a goal to make 1 skill level a day, or in a week or something like that. Compete against yourself, not others.

This is not one of those "hack and slash level to the top in a week beat the game" type game. Segragating players based on who is buying / selling is not a good idea. It's like saying ok all the dwarf toons can only stay in votd, forever! How many people would make dwarf characters then? How many people who are currently dwarfs would make a new toon or leave because of that ?

I"m not a fan of buying/ selling characters either, but , it's thier money and they play the game the way they want to. Personally, i like my character, i'm proud of every single level i have achieved on my own, be it a/d , potioning, alchemy, summoning, whatever. But limiting me to one continent?? Are you serious? How many players you think would leave EL then ?

my 2 cents :)

kk I see everyone getting upset at this thread, and from what I read..that is not tokies intention.

He, like others, have concerns about the amount of people that start playing EL, and the amount that stick to it.

I think it is a valid suggestion (without a valid solution presented)

As the years roll by, since EL creation it becomes harder to compete with the top levels...Very true.. However, even the top are not surpassable. The time needed is great. But for this reason, EL is very unique. How many other games have the same people playing for 3-4-5+ years? On 1 server? One char

It is hard to attract new players into a game where 5 year old toons run around like mad god like creatures. And EL really could use a few new players

So, I guess its up to either radu, or the rest of us, to embrace new players and give them hope that they can compete, and enjoy EL, as much as us 2-3-4 + year old players that are still here

So, I guess its up to either radu, or the rest of us,

Getting the whole community to agree to and stick to non-server-enforced rulesets is as like trying to build a house of cards in a dust storm.

Realistically, it's up to Radu... and that's not EL specific; it's always predominantly* up to the game design team. Players can and will have some impact on the general enjoyability of any multiplayer game, but without well considered and balanced game structure to be the foundation, enjoyment longevity for the bulk of a sizeable and diverse playerbase will never be there.

*(EDIT: heh, seems predominantly and predominately are both valid words... well according to TheFreeDictionary and the dictionary i'm using in Firefox... but Google seems to think only "predominantly" is valid... so guess i'll go with that.)

Edited by Korrode

I guess the best thing to do when new players come to EL (if it is even needed at all, since it is the new player himself that decides if he will become good at this game or not), is maybe putting them into a "help" guild instantly, in which he can stay untill oa ~25, with people in this guild that are willing to take new players by the "hand" and help them on their way to become better.. (thats probably why they have an adopt a newbie system in progress now?)

But after oa 25 they will get released into the world of EL, but with a lot more knowledge of them game, then just that what the tutorial npc and the other npc's on IP tells them..

But it is always a fact no matter how much help u give a new player, its ALWAYS the new player who decides how good he will become in ANY game!

So, I guess its up to either radu, or the rest of us,

Getting the whole community to agree to and stick to non-server-enforced rulesets is as like trying to build a house of cards in a dust storm.

I'm surprised, but I have to agree.

Personally, I would go one step further:

Getting the whole community to agree to and stick to any rulesets is as like trying to build a house of cards in a dust storm.

The idea of separating people for "char-buyers" and the rest is weird. What's next? EL-online-shoppers and the rest? (C3?) Gold-farmers (C4?) and then C5...C\infty for other fancy combinations.

Character wipe, remove pp-buying and add caps. Done deal.

No need for character wipe. Simply remove negative perks, nexus buying and all ways for free pickpoints/pickpoint buying.

The game is easy enough. there's no need for free pickpoints or pickpoint buying in my opinion.

Edit:. also adding a map or two to C1 will help because it gets crowded in some maps.

Edited by hussam