Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Poor man's magic weapons

I see this as just resulting in more orange spam. The problem isn't "z0mg, only playerX has an uber weapon", it's that imo, those weapons are obnoxious to fight against, obnoxious to fight with, and this is the reason my orange spamming stuff sits in storage. If people complain about not liking something because it is annoying, making that annoying thing more common seems like an illogical conclusion.

LOL

You know, most of the people who HAVE them do not complain about them. It is those that don't have them that complain. and you don't Pk anyway, so of course you don't use yours.

Rather than add more orange spam items ( which IMO only elevates the problem ) to me a better solution would be to add an "enhanced cotu" that adds protection against COTM, JSOC, OSMN, SOM etc etc.

This could be made using the tailor skill, since that skill could do with a repeatable money maker.

100% Top Notch Idea. :(

Wow, what a great idea!

Oh, wait, there are such items, but no one uses them.

Rather than add more orange spam items ( which IMO only elevates the problem ) to me a better solution would be to add an "enhanced cotu" that adds protection against COTM, JSOC, OSMN, SOM etc etc.

This could be made using the tailor skill, since that skill could do with a repeatable money maker.

100% Top Notch Idea. :(

Wow, what a great idea!

Oh, wait, there are such items, but no one uses them.

Whats the point when you'll just get Branched? :/

The point is that some of those items offer resistence against branching, and some of them can be used in conjunction with the COTU.

The point is that some of those items offer resistence against branching, and some of them can be used in conjunction with the COTU.

Resistence yes.. immunity no... if branch was removed then maybe more items would get used, but thats not going to happen, so people cant really be expected to risk them.

Edit: even using say bronze armour with cotu (no branch risk) how much resistance does the armour give vs spam swords ? 10% 25% ? (general question since I havent a clue)

Edited by conavar

Quite a bit, and it differs from weapon to weapon. It also gives you some protection against special summons effects. Only good way to know is to test it.

Quite a bit, and it differs from weapon to weapon. It also gives you some protection against special summons effects. Only good way to know is to test it.

with dragon mail(black or white) and magic protection spell, (total of 11 magic resistance) you hardly ever will get depleted by osomn.

The 'magic' great swords and armors don't just ruin PK because of their cost, they also ruin PK because they greatly increase the weight of luck in regards to the outcome of fights.

Fuck luck.

Skill(/strategy/tactics) and char should matter so much more, or at least matter in equal proportion to luck. When those weapons come into the mix, luck, especially in a fight between 2 opponents of similar strength, becomes the fight outcome decider.

I am sorry to let you know, but this is not true at all. The luck factor only comes in if you don't use proper strategy. If you wear adequate items, then the luck factor is greatly reduced.

Right now, very few people use items that give you protection against magic effects, which is why most people only wear armor that gives anything but magic resistence.

Who did you test that with?

Who was using the osomn and who was getting hit by it?

I usually was the one getting hit :(

osomn users were:

ata, kadlub and more :P

I usually was the one getting hit :(

osomn users were:

ata, kadlub and more :P

Do NOT ever put my name into somewhere with ATA again ok? its a shame. And btw, i mana depleted most of people with bda or ida, it doesnt matter

wouldnt work out too well imo.

ppl always want more, adding those weapons will still make them want/complain about the better versions, and you will have more "omg orange spam in pk" complaints.

those weapons are fine as they are, besides why wear armor/cloaks that decrease the chance of magic weapons hitting? i think people rather wear cotu and get hit by osomn/jsoc then have a chance of getting broded (even if the chance is reduced)

id say its fine as it is, no need to make pk more costly/spammy to solve another "problem"

The 'magic' great swords and armors don't just ruin PK because of their cost, they also ruin PK because they greatly increase the weight of luck in regards to the outcome of fights.

Fuck luck.

Skill(/strategy/tactics) and char should matter so much more, or at least matter in equal proportion to luck. When those weapons come into the mix, luck, especially in a fight between 2 opponents of similar strength, becomes the fight outcome decider.

I am sorry to let you know, but this is not true at all. The luck factor only comes in if you don't use proper strategy. If you wear adequate items, then the luck factor is greatly reduced.

Right now, very few people use items that give you protection against magic effects, which is why most people only wear armor that gives anything but magic resistence.

Why do you think it is that people will complain about the magic great swords/armors, but not use the armors that help reduce the effects of those items?

Enhanced armors (steel, titanium, dragon) like current enhanced iron set is a nice idea.

An enhanced titanium armor that provides an armor bonus about the same as dragon armor (but without the heat/cold/etc. bonuses) to be a kind of 'poor mans dragon armor' is not a horrible idea (but with great sword damage being as low as it is, not really a good idea either)... but an enhanced dragon armor that provides even more of an armor bonus is a horrible idea.

Perhaps a kind of enhanced dragon armor that provides bronze armor levels of magic resistence would be nice, but considering the already very high cost of dragon armor, it would just raise the entry and maintenance costs of competitive PK to be even higher.

[/off_topic]

EDIT:

Another off topic side-note: One thing worth considering is making the degraded versions of dragon armors still provide the same armor bonus as the non-damaged versions, giving them a longer life span as a top armor.

Then again, the less armor around with overly high armor bonus, the better, so perhaps not.

Edited by Korrode

only any poor noobs are angry,that got no money for that,so are crying,that thats ruining pk... they alrdy told about cap,that strong players are too strong... etc etc etc... NO

It seems that this weapon idea is similar to the reasoning behind the augmented leather armor: better than regular leather (similar to iron) but breaks a lot easier.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that it's similar logic. We have an existing strong/cheap/breakable item we can study the historical usage of.

If augmented armor has (or had) use in PKing (due to it's strength/cost ratio) then these weapons might too. If augmented armor wasn't used much in PK (instead mostly just used for training) then that might imply something for these new weapons.

Why do you think it is that people will complain about the magic great swords/armors, but not use the armors that help reduce the effects of those items?

Because it is easier to listen to bullshit rummors than to try it on your own and see. I am pretty sure that very few people actually tried the bronze armor, but they all know how much it sucks.

I usually was the one getting hit :icon13:

osomn users were:

ata, kadlub and more :D

Do NOT ever put my name into somewhere with ATA again ok? its a shame. And btw, i mana depleted most of people with bda or ida, it doesnt matter

you forget the added magic protection spell.

ida/bda only adds 3. 3 not gonna do much.

with spell its +8, so 11. almost 4 times as much. this is gonna help.

If you hit much enough, it will work :icon13:

Well it will sound stupid but i have OSoMN and i m one of the people that complains about orange spam stuff. I would actually rather getting paid from radu what weapon worths and have them removed than having OSoMN.

idea not good IMO things are good the way they are...

ONLY PUT MAG PROTECTION SPELL and special weapon hits RARE !!!!! and that's it, no need for blitzbraking new items etc xD

Edited by exe666

Because it is easier to listen to bullshit rummors than to try it on your own and see. I am pretty sure that very few people actually tried the bronze armor, but they all know how much it sucks.

I think there could be other reasons, for example;

I'll assume that your implication that the bronze armor will significantly reduce the chances of orange spam gear activating is correct.

This still, as Conavar pointed out, is not immunity. It's not a guarantee. In general, people much prefer guarantees.

The COTU and BRoD situation is a good example. The BRoD unchecked could have a very negative impact on PK if it's effects couldn't be countered in the fashion they can, surely no one will disagree with this. We all know that so long as we have that red cape on our back, we are 100% safe from the BRoD. The importance of this is illustrated plainly by the amount of people who are willing to sacrifice a precious inventory slot or two by carrying extra COTUs when in PK.

But, lets even put that aside. Let's for this example consider full bronze armor as effective at stopping orange spam gear as the COTU is at stopping a BRoD.

When we choose to protect ourselves against the BRoD we make a sacrifice, namely the inability to use BP or mirror capes, the effects of which will usually have a mild impact on the outcome of fights. It's a very reasonable compromise.

Now lets consider what we have to sacrifice, what compromise we're expected to make to get protection against all the orange spam gear:

1. We make ourselves very vulnerable to another weapon that's likely to be owned by the type of people who are rich enough to posses orange spam gear: The Thermal Ti Serp. We go from armor that has a lot of heat protection (and in the case of IDA, also cold protection) to an armor set with a combined total of -3 cold protection and -3 heat protection, giving the therm serp an effective 46-54 damage (26 of that being 100% guaranteed, no matter your toughness). The big damage taken when hit by a therm serp is made further devastating by the fact the sword has decent accuracy and crit-dmg bonuses, and a significant defense bonus, which brings me to my next point:...

2. Big negs to accuracy. Not only have we opened ourselves up to being raped by a therm serp, we also cop a -8 to accuracy, which in a fight against an opponent of similar strength can make a world of difference (note to that this is compounded more-so due to our opponent now making use of a weapon that provides a bigger defense bonus than any other common offensive PK sword).

3. ...and lastly; If we're to keep bronze armor and a dragon set (+Ti shield) on us at the same time, to attempt to make tactical armor swaps, then we need to come up with 4 inventory slots to hold it. My personal experience, and screenshots i've seen of other people's 'PK inventories', is that 4 slots is worth a lot. I'm not saying that having to make compromises due to limited inventory room is a bad thing, just that we already are making compromises, and that having to make more just becomes annoying.

So to have good protection against orange spam gear, we make it so we take huge damage and can't hit our opponent well... = PK fail.

At least with the orange spam gear our opponent could have bad luck, with the alternative, we'll just get raped.

Sacrifice for equipment-based protection against BRoD - no BP/mirror - reasonable and balanced :icon13:

Sacrifice for equipment-based protection against orange spam - get easily beaten other ways - disheartening and imbalanced :D

Which leads back to the 'Enhanced COTU' idea. It's already a proven method that's generally accepted without complaint.

--------------------

We certainly all should make an effort to get to know which of our opponents posses orange spam gear and put LightLan and eXe's claims about the Magic Protection spell to a thorough test, but nonetheless, it's not a guarantee, so luck is still a factor, and having good luck is still resulting in an effect too devastating.

Increase break rates, better for economy.................. What we really need, is nathanstanzels thoughts on this. <sarcasm>

I think there could be other reasons, for example;

*Lot of writing followed.*.

Tirun buy an alt or something?

Too many word for your poor little mind, was it popeye?

...and oi, where's the tribute to me from your siggy gone?! :<