Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Poor man's magic weapons

Many people are complaining about: Omfg, teh magic great swords and armor are ruining the pk omfg.

So I came up with an idea to level the odds a little and also provide some sinks.

Basically, the idea is to have some versions of the magic weapons and armors, that will have the same effects and similar chance (maybe slightly lower), but will break significantly faster. Not as fast as the bronze sword, but maybe 8 times higher chance to break than the normal version.

The cost would be close to the non magic version + ~12K.

So what do you think? Would you like that?

For me sounds great

i have only one question: It will be manu/rare/el shop/instance drop items?

well i like it, but would disagree with break chance... i would say the break chance must be much much much highter or must cost a bit more...

Its kinda gay if the cheaper sword actually statistically will be more expensive than the "real" sword..

well i like it, but would disagree with break chance... i would say the break chance must be much much much highter or must cost a bit more...

Its kinda gay if the cheaper sword actually statistically will be more expensive than the "real" sword..

Yeah, I guess renting movies is gay too, following your logic.

Well, I don't PK, but I think this idea is interesting and worth trying.

More people could try themselves out in PK and the mixers (if intended

for manu/craft etc.) would gain some advantage as well.

I vote yes.

P.S. reading up a bit: radu said 12k more expensive than the NON-MAGIC one.

Edited by Raistlin

Yeah, I guess renting movies is gay too, following your logic.

Yup, why pay for something that you can get for free? :P

The 'magic' great swords and armors don't just ruin PK because of their cost, they also ruin PK because they greatly increase the weight of luck in regards to the outcome of fights.

Fuck luck.

Skill(/strategy/tactics) and char should matter so much more, or at least matter in equal proportion to luck. When those weapons come into the mix, luck, especially in a fight between 2 opponents of similar strength, becomes the fight outcome decider.

Luck with critical-to-damage rolls can already have a big impact... making these weapons commonplace, making them a variable in many more PK fights than they are now, is a bad idea, imo.

Rather than add more orange spam items ( which IMO only elevates the problem ) to me a better solution would be to add an "enhanced cotu" that adds protection against COTM, JSOC, OSMN, SOM etc etc.

This could be made using the tailor skill, since that skill could do with a repeatable money maker.

Rather than add more orange spam items ( which IMO only elevates the problem ) to me a better solution would be to add an "enhanced cotu" that adds protection against COTM, JSOC, OSMN, SOM etc etc.

This could be made using the tailor skill, since that skill could do with a repeatable money maker.

:P

100% Top Notch Idea. :P

Basically, the idea is to have some versions of the magic weapons and armors, that will have the same effects and similar chance (maybe slightly lower), but will break significantly faster. Not as fast as the bronze sword, but maybe 8 times higher chance to break than the normal version.

Will it degrade into the normal version or get destroyed completely at once?

I think it would be a better idea to just tell the whiners to shut the hell up and work for their money and try to buy 1 themself, then take them by the hand and tell them they can have 1 to for a lot less money.

I'm not a good pk'er, will probably never be 1 either, but i would never blame this to the fact that some people have better armor/weapons then me, if this is the point i will work on the gc's and buy this myself.

Everytime i read this forum, a new WHINE topic is opened. No wonder that the old pk people stopped playing this game, cause the new pk'ers of EL are trying to whine their way to the top instead of fighting to get there.

I think if these items are available for more people, it will raise the "required" levels to even think at start pking.

Many people are complaining about: Omfg, teh magic great swords and armor are ruining the pk omfg.

I see this as just resulting in more orange spam. The problem isn't "z0mg, only playerX has an uber weapon", it's that imo, those weapons are obnoxious to fight against, obnoxious to fight with, and this is the reason my orange spamming stuff sits in storage. If people complain about not liking something because it is annoying, making that annoying thing more common seems like an illogical conclusion.

As for the cost, the normal great swords are about 25-28k gc currently. Adding 12k would make the new weapons approximately 37-40k. If the chance of breakage is 8x higher, this makes the expected cost equivalent of a normal uber magic weapon 296-320k. Compare this to an actual market price for an orcslayer of mana nullification, and it's pretty clear that this sword, as well as the jagged saber of cooling are significantly underpriced for the "poor man" version.

if it gets implemented it'd be nice if chance of finding st0nes and Enriched junk would go up to meet demand, these sort of ingredients are allready spread pretty thin against a backdrop of ever increasing ing requirements

**edit** failing that Conavars idea seems like a good alternative as long as it doesnt require a NMT to produce :(

Edited by Ateh

C'mon, we dont need more orange spam weaps guys. Why dont you pay for all the rare swords then remove it? Then people will have to use their brains to make tactics, not just own people with luck.

(looks at shop page)

The best shop sword is Titanium Serpent Sword of Thermal: $90. The rare mix great swords are supposed to be better than that, I imagine.

Would these breakable swords be somewhere inbetween the two or weaker than the Titanium Serpent Sword of Thermal?

If these breakable swords come out, it would probably reduce the demand for the rare mix great swords and then you will have the high level manufacturers complaining instead.

I think that the people who have the rare mix great swords have them because they either worked hard or they paid some $ for gc. Either way, they paid for it in time or money. The people that complain probably do complain because they can't afford it.

An alternate idea to adding in a frequent break sword is........add in heroin so the fighters can get stoned and fight "better" and have a chance of overdosing themselves and ending up in the underworld from it. lol Let's face it, the people are so worried about the fighting because they use the brain rush as an adrenaline high anyway. With this idea, they could get themselves a cheaper high with the risks they deserve. And no, I would not advise to have poison antidote counter the OD's.

I guess adding the enhanced red cape is not a bad idea either.