Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

More realism - rotting items

Talking about realism. What i miss in the game is Flags waving in the wind. And the trees and the grass look so stiff right now.

Maybe we get wind input in version 3.0 :P

agree (just not with wind)

also i suggest that characters walk more realistic, not like they have chair in a$*

i think game development should be focused on stuff like this rather then on rotting items xDDDDDDDDD

Edited by exe666

Hmm... I think you didn't think this through. IMO storages are working this way: You put st00f in storage and when you go to get it out they just give corresponding st00f back, but it's not the same item that you let there. It wouldn't be realistic to think that you can get the same item back from any storage in the world. First you put it in sto in NC, go to SRM and get the same item back? Not possible. Same thing is with money in RL banks.

I find this explanation for storage to be a very reasonable counter to the idea presented in the base-note. It makes a lot more sense for how storage access spread across two continents would work. It's also consistent with game mechanics in that there's no difference between a brand new item and one that's been used for months (damaged/degraded items being a different category). All s2e's are the same, you don't need to get "yours" back from storage.

And personally, I believe the risk of loosing items from storage would be a bad addition to the game and (as others have pointed out) would remove some of the fun of the game.

I understand the point of this idea, but ... it would be bad for players who play occasionally or would leave for longer period of time. Imagine you are working for example on your crafting level and you want to make some (1-2k) medals and rings and you are working on gathering quite nice amount of silver(gold) ore, coal, sulfur and some gems. Now something IRL happens - boom, you will log back in two months and your hard work is gone (or partly rotted).

Connavar and others have pointed out good arguments - it all depends on implementation but also remember: IF rotting THEN the time should be ticking only when the player is online ...

just my opinion, peace :P

While I see the point that it would add more realism, I don't think realism is the only factor for enjoyment and fun.

Look around at all the most popular games, no matter the type and genre, all of them make some compromise between realism and fun.

I mean, in EL, if you want realism, why can't we run, swim? Why don't plants grow and get picked in harvesting? Why don't we get tired and have to rest? Why don't those who sit and potion all day get fat a$$es?

While I understand that the storage degrading might help fulltime players, there is an entire spectrum of players in EL. I am in the Navy so I might end up out of game for a 6 month sail. I'd hate to come back to an empty storage!

Surely there must be a better way to implement removal of mass produced items. Maybe they can degrade in the market rather than in personal storage? Have a terrible fire and half the stock of leather pants is destroyed! All kinds of options for reducing the supply of certain items.

Also remember that there are always new players entering the game who might not have access to the same markets for a while and don't affect your prices, but the storage degrade would affect them and possibly deter them from the game.

Greydesk

natsume,u sure u know wat funn means?

if u need challenges go kf or go pwn dragons naked

Fun is, when you can make stuff to level, like leather pants, rings, medallions and can sell them for a fair prize and not just dump them into the rivan ocean.

It is not fun to harvest for hours to make money, then buy leather and thread, then make leather helms in a manu school to level, because you have no chance to sell the final product for a fair prize.

It is not fun to harvest for hours to make money, then buy leather and thread, then make leather helms in a manu school to level, because you have no chance to sell the final product for a fair prize.

Most of them who posted here, looked at this suggestion from the way of a customer, but not from the way of a craftsman.

Its not only that you can kill dragons all day long, there are even other ppl in game. Those who make stuff and want to make a living too without too much boredom.

For example, i made some years ago like 5000-6000 leather pants to level manu. Because you can better sell pants than leather helms to customers and get at least some money from your work.

So, since years i am selling those pants with my bot and now i am really down to 800 or something. After years!

I am not willing to sell them on market channel, because i am not willing to run across half Draia just to sell 2 pants to make like 200 gc.

So, since fighters dont want to harvest to make money and always complain, that they cant get money out of fighting to train, why should manuers, crafters, potters, alchemists or whoever go harvest to make money, and not make money out of their skill by selling the final product for a fair prize?

And thats the one and only point of my suggestion:

Bring stuff out of game, so manuers, crafters, alchemists and so on have a bigger market to sell their products for a fair prize.

Thats all, nothing more or less.

Piper

is that the definition of "fun" for the rest of EL? :pickaxe:

its not our fault that u decide to make aug leather pants instead of leather helms (which u could sell to NPC for a bit of profit)..so just because u cant seem to sell your aug leather pants u want to make everyone's storage rot?? thats kinda selfish, no??

btw, u made 5000-6000 aug leather pants? boy that must've took alot of harvesting, not to mention the time it took to mule leather and threads...(during the muling time what happens to ur iron ores/coals/FEs? OR during the harvesting what happened to ur leather and threads that u muled? OR during ur alching the bars..what will happen to the ingredis that's waiting for their turn to be alch'd into bars? and the leathers and threads?) oh god forbids, what happens to those stuff when u go to bed?! phhft. sleep i knew nothing good comes out of it... what happens if RL suddenly took control during this big project of yours?? will u be glad to come back and see that half or so of ur ingredis has been "rotted" or -poof- (and then be all enthusiastic about how realistic this game is and how u LOVE to waste spend more time getting the ingredis back) ? that would means more harvesting and more buying and more spenting gc to make those items... blah. but who cares? more realistic...more fun!!! :whistle:

and part about "bring stuff out of the game so mixers will be able to sell more stuff" ??

well if ur a manufactuer u need to make high lvl items so ppl would want to buy. i mean aug leather armor? thats like lvl requirement 17 in manu to make....and i dont think manu 17 is THAT hard to get, so OFC u wont be able to sell 5000-6000 aug leather pants...YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT MAKES THEM!! so dont be all upset that u only sold 4200-5200 after "years" ... but hey what do u expect? when all else fails and u cant sell ur cheap stuff that u dont need... do like the pr0s and make a suggestion so that everyone will lose the stuff they already have so they HAVE to buy more from u, muahhaa. then after that ,if u have time, why not take over the world? :rolleyes:

Yours truly,

TigerClaw of GODz :happy:

I believe he said "Leather Pants" instead of "Augmented Leather Pants". I can't imagine selling plain leather pants very easily. I levelled manu on Aug's and had no trouble selling them 10 or 100 at a time because they have always been in high demand by trainers. And bot selling must be a pain since they do not stack.

I picture storage like has been described a few times in this thread - you are getting the items from their general stock, not the specific items you put in

I believe he said "Leather Pants" instead of "Augmented Leather Pants". I can't imagine selling plain leather pants very easily. I levelled manu on Aug's and had no trouble selling them 10 or 100 at a time because they have always been in high demand by trainers. And bot selling must be a pain since they do not stack.

well if thats the fact it doesnt change most of the stuff i wrote...lol if u want some profit back sell to NPC. u cant expect that ur 5000-6000 leather pants be sold in 2 months. HA! why should everyone's storage rot cause he cant seem to sell his products? would've been wiser to make other manu stuff. but then u give up some exp for a good profit. and making leather helms/pants u give up profit for exp. nothing new. i believe the yetis trainer was having same problem (with exp/profit)...but nothing seem to be changing to fix that problem so u cant be seriously wanting manus to have the best of both side? i mean; sure if u want to change it with a positive solution that doesnt affect everyone else; go ahead. (like with the yetis trainer, they suggest faster respawn time. that doesnt effect the whole EL community's storage..) so come up with a better solution for this "problem" (which i dont think is one, its all supply & demand...if none wants to buy leather pants sell them aug leather pants. or something that they do want. why does the whole EL community have to be affected so u can sell ur 5000-6000 leather pants?? selfish selfish.)

Yours Truly,

TigerClaw :pickaxe:

on the fantasy side of the mmo i cast protect items in sto from degrading/spoiling magic spell......problem solved

Yeah. That about sums it up. Things stay fresh in storage the way you can hold a bunch of junk on your character at one time with no pockets or backpack. It's Magic!

lol..............MAGIC!!!

I wonder why people who play this game tend to forget all about the "fantasy" part.

I remember having to prove to some on this forum that this was a medieval fantasy game.

It's for the "fantasy" most of us are still here...............

Must say this is the strangest idea for implementing into the game...

Sure fruit and veggies could rot, but my tit armor to rust while in storage?? HUH??

So if i put my car/bike/motor into my garage it will be rusted when i return the next morning or week? cause i didn't drove it????

The best thing would be, the next time i won't play my char for let's say 11 months, it will be gotten old and im forced to start a new char, which is still a baby and i have to start with changing diapers, feeding and entertain...

When it becomes 2-6yo i can teach it to walk, read and fight, so it will take me say 18 years before i can make it worth to go pk'ing :)

Wouldn't that be realistic??