Eternal Lands Official Forums
Hadrion

New Item: Magic Wand

Submitted, for your approval:

For those who would like to concentrate on casting magic rather than fighting, why not create a new item: The Magic Wand.

Powers for the Magic Wand could be:

A ) Raise your Magic 5 levels;

B ) Decrease the amount of Mana needed to cast spells by (say) 50%;

C ) Give you more experience every time you cast a spell;

D ) Allows a chance that essences are not consumed when a spell is cast; or,

E ) Extends the range at which a spell may be cast.

The Magic Wand could have any one or combination of two or more of the above mentioned powers. OR, there could be different types of Magic Wands: The Magic Wand of Power ( A ), the Magic Wand of Ease ( B ), the Magic Wand of Knowledge ( C ); the Magic Wand of Recycling ( D ), the Magic Wand of Reach ( E ), the Magic Wand of Easy Power ( A & B ), etc.

The Magic Wand would be considered a weapon for holding purposes, so that a person cannot wield both a sword and a wand. (A lot of PKers would probably hate this, but it would ensure that they cannot have an easier time casting a non-fail Restoration. Even though EL doesn't have classes per se, it should still be a tad more difficult for those concentrating on hand-to-hand combat to use magic during fights. But that's just my thought on the situation.)

Magic Wands would not break as long as you were casting spells with them; but should you happen to get into combat (should the creature you're Harming suddenly come into range to attack you), it would have a high chance of breaking (and perhaps exploding, doing damage to those nearby). After all, you're not supposed to be HITTING anything with your wand...

Magic Wands would be available for purchase from any magic shop NPC. If the option for many types of wands is taken, then the single ability wand should be somewhat inexpensive, with the combination wands being commensurately more expensive.

Instead of selling them at magic shops, the Magic Wand could instead be sold at the EL shop. If sold there, though, it should be made of sterner material that would not break very easily (if at all) should you happen to get into combat with one. Or perhaps sell the lesser wands at magic shops, and a more powerful combo Wand at the EL shop. (Depending on the price, I'd most likely end up buying one.)

Hmm, I just thought of a new one: The Magic Wand of Renewal (recover 5 Mana Points per minute instead of 1).

Anyway, I'm suggesting this because the Staff of the Mage does not give any beneficial magic bonuses, just combat bonuses (except for mana drain/burn -- at least, according to the encyclopedia). I feel that the Magic Wand would fill in a bit of a gap, and make magic use a bit more appealing.

If only one type of Magic Wand is made, then I think an A&B combination would be my preference, with perhaps E to make it a bit more ideal. Those were my original thoughts, when I first came up with the idea.

There is my suggestion. I hope you like it.

Option A eliminates magic potions so doubt it would be implemented. As there's no prior item that also gives more experience or give day of recycling/reconstruction for certain items D and C are also not likely.

I like B and E though. But B could come in the form of a cape which would make spells 3/4th the mana, and E could be changed as your levels get higher, your range of influence also increases. (Without the staff.)

Mage Robes then? Already in game, and only posing value atm.

If original post idea is wanted, make use of weapons and shields impossible with the robes.

Edited by Dugur

Dont forget the staff of protection, if that doesnt look like a wand, i dont know.

Or maybe we can have smaller sticks, with a star at the top, with which you can hit brownies and wood sprites on the head. Just for the look of a mage, stats like a branch or a bone.

And i still wonder if we could have cone shaped hats with a pointy top for mages, to carry a bottle of booze under it :)

Piper