Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Usl

The Monuments Contest, #2

The Monuments

A number of monuments are hidden in Draia, each of them has a hint to the final treasure chest. Can you find the monuments? Can you solve the riddles? Can you find the treasure chest?

If the answer is YEAH!, then you might find yourself the lucky owner of a full red dragon armour, with an helm of life and mana.

Full info will be published in this thread ahead of the contest, and further instructions broadcast in-game and posted in the forum (for those late-showers) in due time.

Contest will start Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 14:00:00 GMT; check this table to see the timing for your location.

For those of you with good memory, the contest will not be totally unlike this previous event, but of course, with a twist... :devlish:

While sifting through a bunch of historical accounts on the Great War in Lord Luxin's personal library, I found a rather odd-looking piece of parchment. Initially, I was going to throw it aside, as irrelevant to the subject I was researching. But then...

parchment2a.png

It is written in a strange code, and only with the greatest expense of labour I could decipher some of it. It seems to hint at some kind of treasure; there are 12 special places mentioned, one of them must be the treasure. No hint is given about where it might be. But the other 11 places are told to have "Monuments" (whatever that might be) that will give the treasure-hunter hints about the location of the 12th place.

The arrow symbol at the top has a number 12, the two glyphs used for Seridia and Irillion, and the word that means "even", so I guess that the 12 places are evenly split between the two continents. But where they might be, I have no idea at this point.

I will continue deciphering the text, and let you know of any new hint...

When you find a Monument, trade with him and you will receive a PM message with a hint. Then press F2 to access it. Hints will not be repeated, so make sure you save a local copy if you want to refer again to a hint later. No PK maps involved. If you find the final treasure, post here or send me a PM so we can close the context.

A breakthrough! I could decipher the first riddle, it reads "I'm gonna tell Elandria what I'm gonna do / I'm gonna settle in a place with a seaside view." Which place might that be?

Ok, second one was easy: "White as cotton is the foam of the sea / deadly to many the beasts that guard me." I will start working right away on the next one, this is getting interesting!

The third riddle sounded familiar: "Why everything is so white?", I used to wonder / now down this dark hole I have time to ponder." Does it ring some bells?

Oh my... I need a break, this is really hard work. Anyway, here is the fourth riddle: "Of Spring-time the leaves, of envy the shade / such is the key for this strange charade.". And if my intuition is right, I begin seeing a kind of scheme there...

Ah, a cup of tea helped me think more clearly. Now, this line here seems to read as "A bed, a tavern, and close by a mine / that's all I need to enjoy my time." Must be referring to a popular mine, there is no indication of which one is meant.

This one took a while, it seems written with a shaking hand. Maybe the scribe was frightened. The text is "Don't you open that trapdoor! There's magic lurking up there. / Don't you open that trap door! Run back down the stairs.". Magic...

I have another one! This is getting stranger and stranger... hear: "I have been going round in circles / all exits look the same / maybe if I rest in this circle / I will manage to stay sane!"

Edited by Usl

Very fun, even though I was lost most of the time.

Anyway please post up the rest of the hints as well as the corresponding monuments, they were fun to figure out. Thanks and can't wait for another event similar to this.

Grats Enly!! And great contest Wolfie and Usl. :( Big thanks, was immense fun! :P

Congratulations to Enly who won the contest, and to other members of the team (XenaMT being a very close second!).

Here are the remaining hints, for those who want to test their exploring skills just for fun. Locations of the Monuments and of the final treasure will be revealed later on.

• "Gosh I started to feel very old / I think I will read a good book / a lovely fire to keep out the cold / and a fire lighter should I need to cook."
  • "South of here, one Man made / so that other Men were lost, / here Mother Nature cared / that you'll miss the post."
  • "I needed a quiet place / time to look through myself / now pray, run and race / o thou man, dwarf or elf."
  • "Strong was the sword which showed me this place / smart you have to be if you want to see my face."

The rankings at the end of the contest were as follows:

1. 9 Monuments found: Enly, XenaMT
  2. 6 Monuments found: PhantomEmpress
  3. 5 Monuments found: ryddler, MrGray, Zilvador, wilbur_whateley, jaclaw, revi, elveron, Raytray, bugabear
  4. 4 Monuments found: Burn, Minion07
  5. 3 Monuments found: zathras, BlackHawk, Dilly, Stivy, auror, Krrick, Wroll, Tsungafir, Athel, zipzagoon, Ozmondius, TigerClaw, dio
  6. 2 Monuments found: Awn, L33t, Dugur, Nivek10, Rayla, Raistlin, mclove, VerzioN
  7. 1 Monument found: hobwitch, Ilobypie, Zillian_Dane, Roro, Talmar, Casanunder, Yascarus, Dragon_23, bob88, spudboy, Little_G, Berni55, pr0, SouLove, KingScandu, blacklobster, Stephane83, AdeeN
  8. also run: many, many more players!

Thanks to all those that joined for making the contest fun! :P

Feel free to post your comments and suggestions for future contests in this thread, we are looking forward to them!

Edited by Usl

Thanks usl and wolfwitch and anyone else who helped out!

This contest was a huge amount of fun.

I also want to make sure that everyone understands that just because I found the bag, it does not mean that xena did not do as much, if not more, work than me :P We were working as a team and found the bag together :(

And here are, as requested, the locations and hints for all the Monuments:

• Monument_1. (C1) WS city sewers [258,313]
    "Why everything is so white?", I used to wonder / now down this dark hole I have time to ponder.

• Monument_2. (C1) MM inside the house at [217,188]
    A bed, a tavern, and close by a mine / that's all I need to enjoy my time.

• Monument_3. (C1) DP Evergreen woods [17,363]
    I'm gonna tell Elandria what I'm gonna do / I'm gonna settle in a place with a seaside view.

• Monument_4. (C1) Magic Schoool in Tarsengaard [363,318]
    I have been going round in circles / all exits look the same / maybe if I rest in this circle / I will manage to stay sane!

• Monument_5. (C1) FotF "labyrinth", White Stone - Elavro Mountains [508,748]
    South of here, one Man made / so that other Men were lost, / here Mother Nature cared / that you'll miss the post.

• Monument_6. (C2) PV Library of the Ancient, PV insides [284,43]
    Gosh I started to feel very old / I think I will read a good book / a lovely fire to keep out the cold / and a fire lighter should I need to cook.

• Monument_7. (C2) (undisclosed secret place)
    Strong was the sword which showed me this place / smart you have to be if you want to see my face.

• Monument_8. (C2) Melinis [299,276]
    White as cotton is the foam of the sea / deadly to many the beasts that guard me.

• Monument_9. (C2) Arius Magic School [185,124]
    Don't you open that trapdoor! There's magic lurking up there. / Don't you open that trap door! Run back down the stairs.

• Monument_10. (C2) IOTF, Temple of Dryxx, Isle of the Forgotten insides [22,340]
    I needed a quiet place / time to look through myself / now pray, run and race / o thou man, dwarf or elf.

• Monument_11. (C2) Green room in EVTR Tavern, second floor
    Of Spring-time the leaves, of envy the shade / such is the key for this strange charade.

The final treasure was in Portland, near Brogan; the first 8 clues given by the Monuments were hints to the PL map, the last three were progressively clearer indications of the particular place, with the latter being a picture of me placing the hyperbag, and the PL map flag. The winner(s) found the bag upon receiving the first clue showing where the bag was. Well done! :icon4:

Stay tuned for future contests!

Edited by Usl