Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rhapsodist

sulfur on isla prima

I'm not knocking your idea, but isn't it laid out in excruciating detail in the ency almost exactly where to harv ings for, get gloves for and how to mix FEs?

yeah i guess, but way i see it is that its just plain easier for them to just go to the rat cave rather than asking on jc 1 where to buy leather gloves, where cc is, and where the sulfur is

1. EL is largely based on community cooperation.

2. What do you think #jc 1 was meant for?

By going to channels and asking for help not only teaches them the basics to chatting with other players but also gives them a chance to interact with different people in EL. (What kind of game would EL be without the community?)

I think this first step is the most important in the learning curve of EL.

but i did not read the encyc at all as a newb - and hauling to newbie sto is much easier

the more easier it is for them the more they are inclined to stay and keep at it

Would have been nice for someone in #jc 1 to let you know to read through the encyclopedia. :o

And while your harvesting is no better time.

I think that it is important for newbies to not have sulfur on IP because EL is huge and the sooner they get out exploring the better off they are. If not we could end up with tons of new playings just sitting on IP and missing out on some really beautiful places.

IMO this is a nice idea.. Add sulfur to IP and then a storage NPC that works until 30ish OA or ALC. :rolleyes:

Maybe this is a good idea, make the start of the game more interesting, and show them one of the most cool things about the game (making stuff), they will feel good, making stuff and knowing ppl will want that stuff.

also a good idea to get new players involved in player interaction, instead of bringing gc's into game at flower shop npc's

after a while u can also make on ip iron,coal for showing them bars ,diamonds for showing AEs etc...

Show me a noob which can make steel bars :D

Edit: i agree with the idea. it would fill the demand of FEs and etc... cheaper FEs = happyness for 80% of EL :)

but how to prevent alts going to IP and harving sulf for sale ?

Edited by Kornholio

A while later he pm's me saying that he had gotten bored of harvesting flowers in VotD and wanted to know if there was a more interesting way of making money.

Anyway, after i showed him the spots to harvest flowers and where to harvest sulfur in DP i told him and showed him how to make FEs. And with the questions he was asking, it seemed pretty frustrating for him to learn how to mix.

I am not an advisor, I don't have such patience and time for this and I admire all they do - but... if there is best way how to do things, do you think it is also suitable for new people to start to like the game too? :P yes, flowers harvesting and selling them to shop - best gc/time ratio for newbies - but it also boring, esp. for new players who are expecting some "action" and fun ...

We all have spent more or less time on lupines or lilacs because of gc needed for sigils, books, exc cape etc... but I think - for fresh player - straight stick to point you NEED to harvest or you cannot move with your skills... it's not motivating...

What about to tell him, he can kill rabbits and beavers? Now with the cool change that we have newbie storage on IP and he can store everything and also rabbits give you randomly up to 6gc, it's veeeery nice start to have some fun and not semi-afk play! :evilgrin:

You can earn really nice money nowadays from rabbits and you can sell all you take later - not fast money as flowers, but think he will also gain a/d exps... enough gc for the start and then he can look closer on other skills/options and what is needed to do for them to start...

When you push him too early to start harvest a big amount of things... he will find another game. I think killing is the most simple way how to earn nice money (when you find harvesting too boring), if you are also selling drops (at least from the beginning - but that's not topic for newbie to worry about, first he should to decide if he likes the game or not...). And it's better to give him a time for encyclopedia and more questions to show also other skills than fire essies machine...

Sulfur or any other strategic resource is not good idea for IP - too risky for abuses.

just my 2 cents ;)

Viddy

(and I am not pure fighter, check my skills)

#edit typos

Edited by Vidriel

I don't think it is a good idea. Isla Prima shouldn't be a place to learn basics other than moving around, harvesting, using NPCs GUI or fighting. There are other usually save areas, like Desert Pines, where you can learn about more advanced game features in.

Adding more and more resources to Isla Prima may effect with newcomers being discouraged to explore.

Adding more and more resources to Isla Prima may effect with newcomers being discouraged to explore.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I spend a lot of time in newbie channel, responding when I can, but reading a lot more. And the one thing I've noticed that is the biggest problem with newbies is that they want everything right here, right now. (Well, don't we all, heh?)

So a lot of time gets spent spelling out the exact directions to take to go to the one thing they need. And they go straight there. When it's brought up that taking some time to explore on their own would be highly beneficial to them in the long run, it gets ignored and they're back on the next day asking for more specific instructions to another specific thing and still haven't done any exploring themselves.

In the end, actually going to those things, like the sulfur, ends up being the only real exploring they do until they have to find the next thing.

Putting everything a newbie needs on one small map is in the end going to hurt them, not help them, as going to those items is the only way to get most of them to explore at all.

If anything, a better idea would be a fourth tutorial quest where the tutorial tells the player where to go and to "use" that item to indicate they found it. Maybe fire essence ings, particularly the sulfur. And they get a small reward for doing it of course.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I spend a lot of time in newbie channel, responding when I can, but reading a lot more. And the one thing I've noticed that is the biggest problem with newbies is that they want everything right here, right now. (Well, don't we all, heh?)

So a lot of time gets spent spelling out the exact directions to take to go to the one thing they need. And they go straight there. When it's brought up that taking some time to explore on their own would be highly beneficial to them in the long run, it gets ignored and they're back on the next day asking for more specific instructions to another specific thing and still haven't done any exploring themselves.

In the end, actually going to those things, like the sulfur, ends up being the only real exploring they do until they have to find the next thing.

Putting everything a newbie needs on one small map is in the end going to hurt them, not help them, as going to those items is the only way to get most of them to explore at all.

If anything, a better idea would be a fourth tutorial quest where the tutorial tells the player where to go and to "use" that item to indicate they found it. Maybe fire essence ings, particularly the sulfur. And they get a small reward for doing it of course.

Which is why Coords should be outlawed ... and why the Tab map can be an issue as well.