Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

Important notice for young people

I figure this should be very useful for anyone that is a kid playing a kid or has a kid playing this game or any other game online.

If you are young, you may want to consider a little bit before you post something in the forum or say something in the game. There are some rather disturbed individuals out there and I do not want you to put yourself in any dangerous situations by telling someone something that you shouldn't have.

For the sake of your privacy and safety, please follow the following guidelines which I am thinking up as I type:

You may give your first name, but not your last.

Do not give out your city, zip or street address.

Do not mention street addresses or specific buildings that could be traced to the city you live in.

Do not mention what school you go to in any way.

Do not mention the names of any of your real life friend.

Do not mention your phone number.

Let your parents review your forum posts and messages from time to time.

Please only refer to your age as "minor" or "under 18" or "young".

In general, be vague. Details can be a dangerous thing to share when you are young.

Why be so cautious? Because you can't be sure who will use your information in what manner. Even if someone is nice online, it does not mean they will be nice in real life.

IF YOU ARE UNDER 13:

Some guild forums have a COPPA feature on it that require parental permission to register with the site.

More information on COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) can be found at http://www.coppa.org/.

Edited by nathanstenzel

nice info.

Should make this in the important topics.

I think even giving your first name out is a bad thing.

One time guy asked me my name, I said Bart. :) (was lying)

Edited by daiske1

Tbh IMO something like this should be on the main EL home page... granted most kids/parents will skip or ignore it but atleast the game has done its part in warning them

It is not our job to educate children, it is their parents job. If their children are online and they don't know this already, it's parenting fail.

It is not our job to educate children, it is their parents job. If their children are online and they don't know this already, it's parenting fail.

Still, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to put this where people will notice it. I believe in what you say, but nathan's list has its uses regardless.

I totally agree

I'd like to add to the list above since kids do sometimes post photos of themselves and friends.

Never post photos where your address (even just your house number) or license plate can be seen.

When you save photos, don't title them with people's full names. If you always call your friend by his last name, use another nickname for him instead.

As for "whose responsibility" it is, obviously it is not the direct responsibility of the game admins, but considering the the potential problems attached to this issue, I think this is a worthy thread.

Parents can be great parents without being completely internet savvy.

Parents can be great parents without being completely internet savvy.

It has nothing to do with 'internet savyness'. It has to do with proper parenting. Online or offline, same shit applies. You don't tell strangers stuff about where you live and where you study unless if it is necessary for some reason.

Anyway, I disagree with the list. For example:

Let your parents review your forum posts and messages from time to time.

Right. Like that's gonna happen. Besides, if the parents do their job, they can read the forums themsleves, most of the forum categories can be read without requiring registration.

Please only refer to your age as "minor" or "under 18" or "young".

That's total bullshit and paranoia. I would not talk to someone who would give me such a crappy reply. I could understand someone not wanting to tell me their age, but being overly vague about that implies paranoia and total distrust. On the other hand, giving your exact birth date might not be a good idea, and this applies to adults too. Some banks and e-mail providers and stuff use this information as part of the authorization procedure in case you lose your password. Same thing with the zip code, parents name, city of birth and other things.

Agreed, its the parents duty, after that is the child's duty.

(on privacy)

Really, people are developing a bizarre habit of posting (a blog) information

about every thing in their lives, some going as far to video it. Now almost everyone

has a camera of some sort on them, that slip and fall could become viewed by thousands.

So there will be an entire generation that believes, this is somehow normal, to feed the voyeurs.

(self identity)

(By 14-15+ they must be thinking for themselves. I am against

them showing their parents things such as forum posts. They should be able to form opposite opinions

to those of their parents. If they allowed their parents to be aware of their real political or social opinions,

they are certainly awaiting a parental brainwash session.)

(earth: some objects are more rectangle than they appear)

All people will use information, good or bad, for their own motives, regardless the context, or age.

When pushed, regardless of someones alleged ideals, we will freely smash each others heads in with a

rock for the last berries on the bush. :P

So warning anyone, is dumb. Welcome to planet earth, Some people will fuck you over without reservations, some

need to be pushed, either way, heads up. DON"T PANIC. (awaiting inclusion in the Hitchhikers Guide)

This shit is spammed hard in schools, god knows how much money they spend on "safety education." Its not the government's job to make sure your dumb-shit kid doesn't get kidnapped or hit by a car, its yours.

This shit is spammed hard in schools, god knows how much money they spend on "safety education." Its not the government's job to make sure your dumb-shit kid doesn't get kidnapped or hit by a car, its yours.

Well, I can understand a little bit of 'safety' education in school, what pisses me most about the US schools is the DARE and MADD garbage. Especially the cunts from MADD, I wish they all die horrible deaths.

You remind me of that Mrs Lovejoy from the Simpsons "Won't somebody please think of teh children!?!!?". for that, you made me laugh. +1.

On a more serious note, why to you feel it's your responsibility to notify *the* whole EL forums of self made guidelines?

As for what I think about this, It's damn creepy and NO I don't want any candy -.-

EDIT: forgot the "the" :P

Edited by bigkav

I have to dissagree....

Children need to hear this stuff lots. Yes it annoys them but then they remember it.

Safety is important, they are young and they need our protection, they dont have enough experiance to make thier own decisions.

It is the role of parents and society to keep them informed id rather the gourvement spent money protecting and educating the vulnerable elements of society than spending all that money on a hammer or new carpets for thier office, or so they can pay thier second mortgage...

Yes parents are resposible for educating thier children.

Speaking of which ill ensure my daughter doesnt read this thread >.<

Ill also like to say if someone thinks the safety of children isnt important, or that the efforts of those trying to stop the countless deaths/kidnaps/and cases of molestation that is ripe with in our society doesnt need to be addressed or that it is a waste of time becasue they are dumb assed kids then i have to think there is something wrong with that person.

<CLIP>

(self identity)

(By 14-15+ they must be thinking for themselves. I am against

them showing their parents things such as forum posts. They should be able to form opposite opinions

to those of their parents. If they allowed their parents to be aware of their real political or social opinions,

they are certainly awaiting a parental brainwash session.)

<CLIP>

Heh. I know of players as young as 8.

....darn....the forums are a little busted right now. I just edited out a number of "failed" attempts that I made to post this.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Seeing as how I was not given a copy of the job description for being an earthling, I’m not exactly sure what my job is.....what I do know is that communities are often healthier and happier when citizens go a bit beyond their “job descriptions” with respect to watching each other’s backs.

Case in point, it is not our JOB as an EL citizen to return a death bag, but I think we can generally agree that EL is a nicer place because we do, because we watch each other’s backs.

If someone has information that can help keep me safe (e.g., you are about to enter a PK map, don’t give out your real name to folks on line, etc), I’d be happy to get it.

I don’t see the harm in reminding everybody, once again, to be cautious.

EvanMarie in EL

Ill also like to say if someone thinks the safety of children isnt important, or that the efforts of those trying to stop the countless deaths/kidnaps/and cases of molestation that is ripe with in our society doesnt need to be addressed or that it is a waste of time becasue they are dumb assed kids then i have to think there is something wrong with that person.

WTF garbage is that?

It's exactly this shit that creates most of the problems we face in this society. Every idiotic, unconstitutional new law we have is there to protect the children, or protect us from terrorists. All you do is regurgitate the hysteria the media is feeding you with.

It is NOT my job, or OUR job to 'protect' OTHER PEOPLE CHILDREN from the filth of the internet and TV.

I believe in collective duty. Not responsibility, that lies with the parents, I just don't see what's so difficult about reiterating a few lines that could potentially protect children.

I believe in collective duty. Not responsibility, that lies with the parents, I just don't see what's so difficult about reiterating a few lines that could potentially protect children.

How many children playing EL have a forum account/read forums anyways?

How many children playing EL, having a forum account/read forums anyways, will read this?

How many children playing EL, having a forum account, who read this, will obey and not say STFU, leave me alone?

So this discussion is somehow pointless.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

How many children playing EL have a forum account/read forums anyways?

How many children playing EL, having a forum account/read forums anyways, will read this?

How many children playing EL, having a forum account, who read this, will obey and not say STFU, leave me alone?

So this discussion is somehow pointless.

Piper

That's not what I was trying to express. I'm just saying I don't see why people are so vehemently opposed to an idea that has even a slim potential to do some good. It doesn't matter if it's statistically improbable a child or anyone else will read and obey internet safety precautions, the point is that we should still be reiterating those precautions to help those who don't know better.

the point is that we should still be reiterating those precautions to help those who don't know better.

As i said, those who "dont know better" wont read this.

And me, not a kid anymore, gets just bored by reading such stuff, where ppl tell others what they should do or not.

Go on the streets and tell other ppl such stuff, and see, how fast they will throw rotten tomatoes and eggs at you :o

Piper

Edited by The_Piper