Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eldion

Ways to run again

So, I've been thinking about the recent removal of Speed Hax potions, due to Ent's frustration about their lack of use. As to why this was the case, I think the main issue was simply cost. There simply weren't too many people out there who were willing to shell out 2-3kgc to run around for a little while, especially when much more inexpensive travel options such as rings and the portal room already existed in game.

Anyway, if running is ever reimplemented, I think it should be done in such a manner that anyone, including newbies still hunting rabbits on IP, can afford to at least try it out. Here are a couple ideas I've had for making that work:

Solution 1:

Multiple levels of Speed Hax potions. For example, have a weak potion that maybe uses fox fur, a medium level potion that uses leopard or black panther fur, and a high level potion that uses good old Lenny fur. The weak potion could require double or triple the food consumption rate of the old potion, and stop working at food level 0. While this would make it fairly useless for most players (just like minor healing and mana pots), it would still be cheap and allow a new player with a pile of veggies in the inventory to at least try sprinting across IP or maybe even to WS storage. The medium and high level potions, of course, would then require less food consumption and have a lower stop point.

Solution 2:

Simply get rid of the potion all together, and make running an innate ability that still consumes a ton of food. It could then be toggled on and off, just like most other MMO's out there. Besides, it can't really be overpowered if everyone can do it, right? If that sounds too easy, exhaustion damage could also be added. Maybe a point of damage every 5-10 steps. Also, if running becomes universal, maybe a few fast spawns or invasion creatures can be added to keep things interesting.

Alright, just my thoughts on the subject. My last couple of suggestions have been torn to shreds within a couple posts, so have fun ripping me a new one! :happy:

The Half-load, Double-speed solution is better I think.

It has been suggested before and seems a viable option for when/if running is re-introduced.

Ability to run at twice normal speed but you will only be able to carry 50% of your normal carrying load.

Prevents big advantage when harvesting/muling/training. Could still be interesting for pk when you have used a lot of potions/essences already and have 50%+ EMU free.

So, I've been thinking about the recent removal of Speed Hax potions, due to Ent's frustration about their lack of use.

Yea, that still confuses me. Somewhere (blog, forum, @6; I can't find it now) Entropy said that running was for emergency use (that is, not everyday usage). It was priced high which supports that target market/usage. So why are we surprised it didn't get used much? :D

One place that I'd love to see some speed used at is instances. Right now, when I die in an instance, it takes me a helluva time to get back into the action. I go have a smoke, make coffee or "take a long crap in the bathroom" (quote from Radu's blog). With some speed (doesn't really matter what it is, a potion or a horse) that doesnt require you to take too much food it could work better. Who knows, maybe I'd map-run into Nasparliu and die again, huh? :pickaxe:

So, I've been thinking about the recent removal of Speed Hax potions, due to Ent's frustration about their lack of use.

Yea, that still confuses me. Somewhere (blog, forum, @6; I can't find it now) Entropy said that running was for emergency use (that is, not everyday usage). It was priced high which supports that target market/usage. So why are we surprised it didn't get used much? :ph34r:

Even as 'emergency use' it was very infrequently used.

About the original idea, there is no way I would consider running forever with half the load or no load. Everyone would be almost always running, and I don't want that.

About the original idea, there is no way I would consider running forever with half the load or no load. Everyone would be almost always running, and I don't want that.

Is there a compromise implementation that would provide better functaionality (and therefor usage) with making it too powerful? Like some version of the following:

• A less expensive potion with no extra food usage, but that times-out in 5 minutes like other attribute boosting potions.
  • An inexpensive potion with the current high food usage.
  • The currently expensive potion with low (50% chance of 1 food per step) food usage.
  • Any of the above plus requiring a load of no more than half your current EMU (that is, you can't run if carrying to much stuff).

I'm thinking something that lowers the "price" of running so that people will start using it more (thus not wasting your implementation work) but still keeping it from being used all the time.

Somewhere there is a point of balance between the cost of running and the amount that it would be used that would work for the game. And it's probably better to start with the cost to high and bring it down to the desired balance it reached. The first version was to expensive (after the newness wore off), so perhaps it's time for an adjustment now?

Edited by bkc56

Even as 'emergency use' it was very infrequently used.

Why, if I may ask? Too much load on the server?

And I don't think people would run all the time: I'm closer to full load than half load most of the time, both when training and mixing; from what I could see, same for pkers.

Actually the only scenarios where I'd be using running regularly (assuming the half load rule) is when 1) going from store to mine empty loaded 2) running away from danger in invasions or similar events.

Rehdon