Entropy

Depletable Resources Poll

Depletable Resources  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want it?

• Yes!
    • No, omfg, will ruin teh game!!1!
    • I don't care.

I wasn't going to bring it up again, but it's true, people leaving the game seems (only Ent can tell from the data for sure) to become a real problem. Right now, I belong to a small but dedicated guild where most of the members are mainly mixers and logged on every day. For the last 3 weeks, I'm the only active member left. Hence I voted no, as most of the new features seem to harm the "harv and mix" aproach to the game, leaving the a/d trainers virtually in peace. Maybe the developpers are aiming for a more a/d based game, I don't know, but I agree that actions which are likely to take away the fun for a certain number of players don't really seem a good idea to me.

There is no doubt that some people left. It happens in any MMO.

The problem is not retaining enough new people.

In this specific case, I'm afraid that having to hop from map to map to find harvestables could prove even more tedious than harvest mini events, so I voted no.

I still don't get why people like you think, that the implementation would be sooo stupid, that you had to hop from map to map after every load or even more often ?

I wasn't going to bring it up again, but it's true, people leaving the game seems (only Ent can tell from the data for sure) to become a real problem. Right now, I belong to a small but dedicated guild where most of the members are mainly mixers and logged on every day. For the last 3 weeks, I'm the only active member left. Hence I voted no, as most of the new features seem to harm the "harv and mix" aproach to the game, leaving the a/d trainers virtually in peace. Maybe the developpers are aiming for a more a/d based game, I don't know, but I agree that actions which are likely to take away the fun for a certain number of players don't really seem a good idea to me.

Which is a problem that already persists since I am playing the game. The player structure is very centered on veterans; those that make it over the first couple of weeks/months are likely to stick here for years. In the past 2 years or so, the newbie inflow has been just about strong enough to counter the veterans who departed.

I'm just wondering how the depletable resources feature is going to make this game more attractive for newbies?

In this specific case, I'm afraid that having to hop from map to map to find harvestables could prove even more tedious than harvest mini events, so I voted no.

I still don't get why people like you think, that the implementation would be sooo stupid, that you had to hop from map to map after every load or even more often ?

@ the bolded part - From experience - we tend to expect it.

From the last week or two alone: [Fails due to implementation that did not suit the players]

Speedhax.

Horses.

[Almost]Pheonixes.

Bulagiu(and mare) in invasions.

Mine Dmg Vs Invasions.

So ofc people will be worried exactly how something will be brought in.

Hasn't it been repeated a number of times that one of the goals is that of encouraging exploration and use of all maps?

Rehdon

Very true indeed. Therefor, I believe adding benefits for new players is the way to give EL a second breath (like the 'adopt a newbie' initiative) . I'm also very aware that this is easily said but difficult to think through and implement. On the other hand, the new features from the last month or so seems to aim at making it harder for veterans probably damaging the newbie community (if there's such a thing) along the way...hence my impression the amount of quitters outnumbers the new players who stick for a longer period, but once again, I don't have raw data to confirm this.

Hasn't it been repeated a number of times that one of the goals is that of encouraging exploration and use of all maps?

Rehdon

Maybe adding sto's to maps which don't have any can help? It could encourage people to use resources on different places.

@ the bolded part - From experience - we tend to expect it.

From the last week or two alone: [Fails due to implementation that did not suit the players]

Speedhax.

Horses.

[Almost]Pheonixes.

Bulagiu(and mare) in invasions.

Mine Dmg Vs Invasions.

So ofc people will be worried exactly how something will be brought in.

Another one bytes the dust.

I think we should forget teh poll and go to that other plan....500k gc to get this implemented and see who pays up for it. If not enough pay the price then it dont get added, saves all teh ball ache. Mind you, I concede it's probably an idea not to have prior collection funds from the previous implementation funds added to this one simply because there was some disagreements..start this one at zero and let old funds carry to the next one instead.

Which is a problem that already persists since I am playing the game. The player structure is very centered on veterans; those that make it over the first couple of weeks/months are likely to stick here for years. In the past 2 years or so, the newbie inflow has been just about strong enough to counter the veterans who departed.

I'm just wondering how the depletable resources feature is going to make this game more attractive for newbies?

That's a very good question. I could probably adjust to depletable resources, but it surely is one more hurdle to overcome for a newbie. Besides, most of the manufacturing items are so complex that the current game structure suits well for both newbies and veterans: if you are a newbie you can collect low level items (harvestables and animal bones/meat) to sell to more experienced players, you make experience + earn some money + learn about how the game works, until you'll be able to start making some of those items.

This is why IMHO the basic level, i.e. harvesting, should be as easy and as unencumbered as possible (not only because I used to do afk harvesting, you see :medieval: ), unfortunately depletable resources would disrupt this model. Mini events already have had a negative impact on veteran mixers, depletable resource would (probably: ofc I can't be 100% sure about this, it also depends on implementation) shift the burden on new players.

Since the main motivation of these two changes to harvesting is that of making gold farming difficult or near to impossible, I hope different means to achieve this end will be taken under consideration ...

Rehdon

Maybe ask people why they started to play this game ?

I started because it was a game where I did'nt need to fight.

I needed a game where I could relax and chat - drink coffe - come and go without logging off.

Now do I beed to go to storage to log off.

With outoinvasion and Lenny do I need to check the clock what I often are to busy RL to do.

I did'nt start this game to fight, never planned to train A/D .

There are lots of games for fighters. this used to be a game where you could relax.

I think we should forget teh poll and go to that other plan....500k gc to get this implemented and see who pays up for it. If not enough pay the price then it dont get added, saves all teh ball ache. Mind you, I concede it's probably an idea not to have prior collection funds from the previous implementation funds added to this one simply because there was some disagreements..start this one at zero and let old funds carry to the next one instead.

Do you realize that what you actually mean is that any feature could be implemented if there are enough people willing to pay for it disregarding the player majority's opinion? The poll has been done for a purpose, which was getting feedback from the players about this specific issue, now that the feedback is there you just say "forget about it"? Thank you so much, but no, thank you. I hope Ent will listen to players.

Rehdon

Polls at least give everyone a chance to have their say. Paying 500k is not feasable for many reasons.. it gives the a rich player who can afford 500k a monoply and could be paid for by 1 person. Would also not give the majority a chance to have their say, albeit that its Ent's game and ultimately he has the decision. Just the fact that there are even polls created should be appreciated for giving everyone of us a voice.

But there ARE unlimited amount of spawns silly... just not the ones you WANT to train on at that time :medieval:

But there ARE unlimited iron ores silly... just not at the cost you WANT to pay... it's called the NPC. :icon13:

We want X exp or drops p/h.

You want iron ore at X cost/time.

If, by your argument, it's fine for us to go train some creature that gives us way less exp or drops, then by the same argument it's fine for you to go buy the ore at the NPC, no?

You're so happy for us to sacrifice, so presumably you'll be happy for yourself to as well.

Edited by Korrode

If it got implemented the way Trollson suggests (if i got it right) where the resourses decrease and slows down but are still harvestable i would vote yes but if it would stop and dissapear for a while i vote no.

Like someone said in the first thread, nobody said that will be shortage of any resource with depletable resources implemented.

You just will not use "the best spot" closer to storage every time you want but will need move on the "second best" or to nearest map. It is such a problem? I don't understand such huge whining ... I don't think you will need spent half the day to search for new resource of the harvestable you need ... And were you thinking that relocations of some resources, adding new places maybe is also possible with the new system?

I don't think you will not find ANY silver when you need some for HEs (for example). Have you seen how many spots of it are in the MM cave? Also those on the other side of wall? You will need just to move few steps further... Yes, for example the iron in the EVTR will be probably going dry too fast, but it does not mean you cannot harvesting anything else, it's not the end of world. We need to give up bigger goals and split them to smaller... Most of the harvestables (even the uniques as hydrogenium or cinnabar) are in the several spots per place.

Just for you to know - I am an all-rounder, mostly mixing and harvesting all by myself (and my only char I am playing). :icon13:

Only worries I can have were written by molime in the beginning of this thread - thinking about the newbies. They can have not such understanding for drastic changes, we should have the system balanced for them to have still nice play when they cross the border of IP and motivate them to stay.

And yes.. many worries are because the possible combination with multiplaying, but this voting is not about this :medieval: ... also many "no" votes are because of not known implementation yet - Nothing is written in the stone like Aislinn said?

Let it give a chance - all can be modified to get more balanced system if it will be needed - like decreased frequency of mini-events or increased gc drops from fluffs/cyclops/chims lately - all we need are good arguments for Entropy :P When we don't get interesting changes and add-ons, the game will be boring... and it's still only the game, even if we are spending here a lot of time :D

voted YES ;)

If it got implemented the way Trollson suggests (if i got it right) where the resourses decrease and slows down but are still harvestable i would vote yes but if it would stop and dissapear for a while i vote no.

Maybe it could be done by loosing harvest level as you harvest - maybe a level for each 10-20 ore harvested - to harvest make you tired :whistle:

So harvesting will be slower.

If you stop loosing level at level 20 will new players not have any problems with this.

And the level go up again to normal when you are in a storage or next hour.

Edited by Zamirah

Maybe it could be done by loosing harvest level as you harvest - maybe a level for each 10-20 ore harvested - to harvest make you tired :whistle:

So harvesting will be slower.

And the level go up again to normal when you are in a storage.

Or it will take longer for you to get a succsessful harvest the longer you are harvesting, 1-10 regular harvest 11-20 there is a gap between the harvests 21-30 another inrease of the gap and so on and so on, the numbers can ofcourse be altered to fit the item you are harvesting but might be too hard to implement it like this and might not be what Entropy is after either, just a thought tho :P

There are so many posts in this topic that I believe people tend to skip them while reading.

One question I want answered:

If the depletable resources are added in game, do you think it might be a good idea to tweak the NPC prices for harvestables?

Right now, a yarrow costs 10gc from NPC. If it was tweaked and reduced to, say 2gc, then people will have a choice - buy from players for up to 1.7gc (I haven't been on main for a while so dunno how the price could have changed), harvest yourself (with a chance for a rare stone as well as depleting a resource), or buy from NPC, paying a little more gcs but saving time, as well as not getting harv exp, rare stones, wtv. Some harvestables could be made so you can't buy them from NPC, just sell to him.

I'm good for a "no" vote because I think it might drive away new players to a small extent.

For myself, it is an interesting change, but I spend most of my time on the PK server as it is.

But there ARE unlimited amount of spawns silly... just not the ones you WANT to train on at that time :whistle:

But there ARE unlimited iron ores silly... just not at the cost you WANT to pay... it's called the NPC. :P

We want X exp or drops p/h.

You want iron ore at X cost/time.

If, by your argument, it's fine for us to go train some creature that gives us way less exp or drops, then by the same argument it's fine for you to go buy the ore at the NPC, no?

You're so happy for us to sacrifice, so presumably you'll be happy for yourself to as well.

Well then, easy solution for you to consider, Korrode: who knows of the Monster Arena in FFX? Put something like that in EL for A/D'ers to go in and train to their heart's content - for a price. We pay for our iron, you pay for your baddies.

Shall we set the price for Male Goblins (unarmed) at 2K each? Obviously, a huge markup from where it should be, but what price will iron have hit a month after this happens?

[...]but what price will iron have hit a month after this happens?

Whatever price people are willing to pay, just like today.

[...]but what price will iron have hit a month after this happens?

Whatever price people are willing to pay, just like today.

That sounds like the opinion of an executive in the gasoline industry.

Okay I am going to try to keep this short because I dont like going into detail.. Nor do I think alot of other will read it if its in detail..

Point is: The server population has decrease by a significant amount. SOMEthing needs to change. I support ANY and all tactics to bring the population back to around 400-500 regularly. I think depleteable resources is a Great way to start... the 200-300 that tend to stick around are GREAT!!! But also.. have Levels.. money.. knowledge and are NOT for a change. For the better of the GAME we need change.. For the better of the current population we dont. In my opinion We need a change for the game.

I have two comments:

1. If the voting is over, please close the thread.

2. PLEASE stop comparing EL economy to US economy or to Bush or Obama's politics on economics. This keeps happening in every single thread where the economy is discussed. No offense to anyone but EL's user base is from all over the globe. It's an international game. A lot of us are from Europe, Australia, Asia, etc.. and we don't/can't really see the relation to US economics or even care about it. This is an online game (it's just a game ffs) and it's not supposed to be a representation of an economic situation in some particular country.

And to be honest, everyone here is inducing inflation from greedy players who use mini events or game changes to raise item prices to Radu who started the game changes which were according to him introduced to fight gc harvesters.