Entropy

Depletable Resources Poll

Depletable Resources  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want it?

• Yes!
    • No, omfg, will ruin teh game!!1!
    • I don't care.

Make poll options unbiased, for the love of fuck. Thank you.

Agreed, intentionally making people look like the bad guy just for disagreeing is hardly a way to get honest and useful responses. "Yes" was good enough, so is "No". I'm not some 6-year-old who still thinks "leet" or whatever that stupid crap is called is even remotely funny or cool or whatever to use.

Add to that voting "no" doesn't necessarily mean thinking it'll "ruin the game" or whatever other extreme response that the pk kiddies who camp out in channel 6 normally respond with.

Please note that this poll is only about depletable resources, not about the multiplaying aspect.

I've read and re-read, and nowhere am I seeing where there is the option of depletable resources without the added multiplay.

With that, I fear voting yes (or even "don't care") will also be voting yes to the multiplay. Based on thread responses, I'm betting the No responses here are primarily due to the multiplay aspect, since others seem to have the same fear I do...

A future EL that has more harvester alts than actual players, people with better comps having the advantage because they can run more alts, and in turn having a distinct advantage when it comes to the 8 mixing skills in the game that are severely dependent on having access to huge amounts of resources just to get anywhere in.

This idea, by itself, might make for an interesting change of pace and put other harving spots to use, assuming the implementation takes into account hundreds of people trying to get somewhere in 8 mixing skills that are solely dependant on these harvestables.

And for that reason, I'm not against it, assuming it's well-implemented.

The multiplay aspect however seems too badly intertwined with this idea to give a yes-vote.

Can't vote yes without knowing that this (possibly) interesting idea is actually an option to be implemented without the multiplay, which is what this poll is apparently asking about.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

Sorry, but i Vote with no, i dont like the Idea to run arround whole EL to find a harvestable outhouse etc. that cost me to much Time. I can better live with the mini events than. I dont need multiplaying also ive enoth to do with the main char. dont need a 2nd one.

I suspended for a week from the forums Cyberwulf and GoodDay2Die.

Offtopic, unconstructive, and dissregarding my instructions.

WOW what a big choice for vote :)

i will vote `no omfg ..... etc etc..`` tho i would vote for other options... lets say `yes if the limit or cap of harvestables is on IP` or some other `better`options.

and also tbh it should be -- just yes\no\idc. if you like it. not NO omfg it will ruin game, or YES game sux w\o it :P just example.

Ent its just my oppinion. if you feel that is wtrong ... well i see what u did to Cyber and Gd2d

Edited by Kornholio

Will vote no, unless the amounts of the depletable resources are in Ks, not hundreds.

Take a look at the PK server - multiplaying is allowed there, but there aren't so many people at MM silver or in CC, because there are a few people (they call themselves the strongest on server) who walk around and kill all harvesters. Thus we find other spots, more remote from storage, but at the same time safer, so you don't need to come back from the UW every few minutes. My point is, that maybe with this depletable resources idea people will spread around Draia more, higher levels going to C2, noobs staying in C1 and everyone has a flower or two to harvest.

BUT. I think NPC prices for selling raw resources should be tweaked, so that you have a choice between harvesting yourself and, if you're a bad luck, depleting the resource fast, OR buying from NPC, for a little more gcs (not 10x the price).

I voted No.

When the easy to reach harvestable items are gone, then harvesters will mix at storage with whatever they've harvested. Whatever they're planning on making - whether it's HE or Titanium greaves, there are multiple items needed in the recipe. All this change will be doing is removing the batch harvest process whereby someone gathers all their silver then all their chrysanthemum, and re-scheduling the order in which things are done. (Instead of a long time harvesting item 1, then item 2, then mixing, there'll be a short time harving item 1, then item 2, then mixing, and this process will be repeated more often.)

If a harvester runs out of the resources they want to harvest at the time, then they'll either harvest something else or go and make use of the only skills that require no mixed items, namely fighting and ranging. Before you all pipe up and say 'but you need HE, SR, armour and blah blah blah' - there are a lot of people who train on lower level critters that are 'safe' for them so they can reap a pile of meat, fur, bones, gc or whatever they need. This is how some fighting gold farmers get rich.

I think you'll find that with depleting harvestable resources, you'll also find an increase in monster/animal spawn crowding. While I don't mind sharing a spawn with agreeable people, being in a part of the world that's further away from the server than those who are not, I can not compete if someone else decides to move in and get all newly spawned creatures without sharing. This is purely based on the server response time because I'm not close to the server. Half a second isn't much time, but it's enough to count.

Inability to harvest + inability to fight = frustrated players. Walking around looking for something to do is not fun.

For some people, this change will ruin the game. I'm not saying that this change will ruin the game for everyone and be the death-knell for EL, but some players will leave the game because of it.

I voted no. It's interesting and thought provoking, but not a feature I would want. Thank you. :lipssealed:

Edited by Columba

Voted no, but would have preferred to skip the 'omfg it would ruin teh game'.

As with anything, 'the community' would learn to cope with it and find a way to use it to our own best interest. I know I personally would because harvesting is last on my list of things to do, though of course at times I really need to do some too.

Given a choice though: No I would not like to see depletable harvestables.

I voted no.

Adding depleting resources without the discussion on Multiplay makes me think that this is more about GC farming. So...I would have voted for the continuance of the mini events instead. These mini events have been in game now for a couple of weeks (iirc) and I'm curious to know if Ent has seen the impact of these in his statistics.

I will vote yes for the general idea, depending on implementation of course. Will address some reasons but also concerns I have.

I've been hunting Leonard quite a bit lately, and Irilion is absolutely deserted for the most part. This idea indeed encourages exploration (I'm all for that!) and might make people travel a bit more. Right now, with always going back to the same old most 'convenient' harvest spot to harvest thousands and thousands of something again, we're sometimes like robots. This is why I like the idea, more interesting gameplay to me.

I never had the idea a resource would be depleted after only a few hundred items - especially since there are a number of deposits in a certain mining area. Plus, as far as I know a complete overhaul of resources is planned already anyway; a good occasion to strategically place resources and balance it out with this new method too.

I still have the concern I mentioned in the other topic though: newer players won't be able to just travel to another location in an area dangerous to them, or on Irilion. I think a solution needs to be found to avoid them getting discouraged because they can't harvest what they need. An idea came to mind, but I have no clue if it's technically possible or feasible: give certain small advantages to more dangerous areas. Like a little slower harvesting in a safe map on Seridia - so maybe they get their silver a bit slower in CC, but more experienced players might choose the more dangerous area to get their items faster. Or, make resources in more dangerous areas closer to storage. Anything that would encourage people to go to more dangerous maps IF they can, really. Players who can only go to safe maps shouldn't be limited too much, really something that should be taken care of somehow imo - being a low level player is quite hard already.

I have the feeling I'm forgetting something :lipssealed: . But for now, yes.

Voted yes, but I dissagree with increasing the harv xp per hour from 120 to 200.. Makes harvesting too easy to level. :lipssealed:

Edit : Why not give pk maps the "old school" harvests with infinite resources? That way there would actually be some meaning for a mixer going to a pk area.. Most other games have monsters with special drops or some special items etc in pk areas, EL currently only has hydro ores.

Edited by HeLLRaiZeR

These mini events have been in game now for a couple of weeks (iirc) and I'm curious to know if Ent has seen the impact of these in his statistics.

The impact is quite visible I think - as of today at 9 am when I've logged in -> less players than bots online.

On topic : After thinking it over thoroughly I have voted NO to the proposal at its current form.

I would like and support this idea if it was accompanied with some benefits. I believe making resources depletable should be combined not only with removing mini events but also with increase of harvesting speed.

An active (and non-afk) player who knows harvestable deposits on various maps should be able to move from depleted tile to another one and harvest same amount per hour as it was before mini events introduction.

In my opinion harvesting has currently reached a stage where making it even more time consuming would not be acceptable to me. With virtually millions of harvestables on my counters I can safely say it is not about my lack of EL work ethics lol, but rather about understanding individual's boundaries where playing and fun ends and grinding and frustration starts. I understand this is very individual thing and I speak only for myself, I'm sure some others will just sigh and adjust.

Voted yes, provided its implemented similar to what you first described in your original thread. And is addressed with care and caution and possibly adjusted if needed since it is such a large change to the game.

(Side note: Could we get a clarification that your original idea is still what you're planning? I know other suggestions on how to implement depletables were presented, will you be using those at all? Could possibly affect my vote, I think the idea you presented could work, while some of the others would be a bit worse.)

I voted no also. I thought the mini events were a horrible idea (or at least the way they are currently implemented), I feel this one is even worse. I understand why these are being implemented/considered, but it's also having the effect of punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

Voted Yes

Molime brings up a great point regarding new players & how difficult it allready is for them. IMO needs consideration.

My only real concern despite the yes vote is that because I can't get online as much as I used to, that I log in and find myself chasing shadows. As it stands I do believe the depletable resource idea is more suited to your 10 hours a day solid players and not your casual gamers like me who might be logged in for 5 hours but AFK for alot of that time. Obviously thats my problem tho :P

These mini events have been in game now for a couple of weeks (iirc) and I'm curious to know if Ent has seen the impact of these in his statistics.

The impact is quite visible I think - as of today at 9 am when I've logged in -> less players than bots online.

On topic : After thinking it over thoroughly I have voted NO to the proposal at its current form.

I would like and support this idea if it was accompanied with some benefits. I believe making resources depletable should be combined not only with removing mini events but also with increase of harvesting speed.

An active (and non-afk) player who knows harvestable deposits on various maps should be able to move from depleted tile to another one and harvest same amount per hour as it was before mini events introduction.

In my opinion harvesting has currently reached a stage where making it even more time consuming would not be acceptable to me. With virtually millions of harvestables on my counters I can safely say it is not about my lack of EL work ethics lol, but rather about understanding individual's boundaries where playing and fun ends and grinding and frustration starts. I understand this is very individual thing and I speak only for myself, I'm sure some others will just sigh and adjust.

I was hesitant to bring that up...before harvest events there were rarely less than 500 people logged in. Now there are rarely over 400. 344 right now and its almost noon eastern. People HATE the harvest events and will hate limited resources more. It is killing the game. More than one person has done #kill_me yes because of this mess, and the forum posters represent a very, very small percentage of actual players. Entropy you have to realize the majority of players want to log on and play and have fun - you are making changes that are hurting people's ability to do that. How in the name of all that is good and Holy can making things worse have a good outcome? Answer: IT CAN'T.

Having slept on this, and thought it through a bit more, I've voted no.

My big concern is for new players. For example, what happens when a newbie decides they want to start alchemy by making FEs, follows the instructions in the Skills tab, and then finds the sulfur depleted in the Crystal Caverns? As far as I know, there are no other sulfur deposits in the game that can be safely accessed without MM or a def level of at least 26, and a 7kgc MM cape is an awfully big expense for a newbie.

Edited by eldion

Sorry, but I must agree with the other posters saying that "No, omfg, will ruin teh game!!1!" is a lame option, a simple "no" would suffice.

I voted no, and not because it will ruin the game, but because it will make the game less enjoyable from my point of view. I'm not much of a fighter in EL and never planed to be. I specifically chose EL because I could harvest and mix, without having to run the gauntlet among dangerous creatures and players only wanting to kill me.

I like to make things and read books, and to do so I need resources and gc. I could get that by training my char to be a fighter and go serp some high dropping creatures, and let someone else do the harvesting, but as I said I never planned being a fighter in EL and, I like harvesting my own stuff, and I do so in huge quantities. Some of this I sell to get gc for books and stuff I cannot make myself. After getting into EL I discovered that chatting with in-game friends was one of the things I enjoy the most in EL.

Making resources peletable will slow down all this without making it more enjoyable.

Slightly off topic:

And to those that say harvesting is to easy to level, all I can say is: come back when you are at level 100 or above. Fighters routinely get 100k+ xp/h harvesters with maxed rationality can get a max of 18,720 xp/h

Voted NO - coin landed on heads ^^

Radu can flip his own coins to see if he wants to implement something or not. :D He is asking our opinions. Your vote is unhelpful if not your thought out opinion. Way to skew the poll. :D

Annnnnyway, I voted yes because I think that this is a good idea (that will prob require a lot of tweaking at first. Radu and all the players are going to have to hang in for awhile till a balance is found.) I also think it is hard to separate this idea and the idea of legal multiplay. But hey, I tried.

That said, I would vote no for this idea if multi play were made legal along with it. Many of those reasons are posted in the original thread, so i won't post them here. http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49638

Perhaps we could have a poll that is about depleatable harvables and also allowing multiplay? I think it would be interesting to see if opinion changes when legal multi play is thrown in. It could be a nice easy 3 question poll.

1- yes to both

2- yes to harvables but no to legal multi play

3- no to both

Just a suggestion. I don't plan to start this poll, but the info would be interesting to see.