Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Depletable resources and multiplaying

The idea and reasoning behind both the depletable resources and legal multiplay are both rock solid. I support these ideas 100%. There is almost no harm done with implementing them. Yes some closer to storage harvestables will be gone when you log in but I already know 2 spots for very nearly every in game item to storage. To top it off you can go just make stuff on site if they have a site left for you. Lots of those have been removed. :icon13: You can harvest something else to storage. No item takes only one thing to make and since the items are depletable you never have enough of anything on hand. :medieval: This is good for EL and good for radu and roja. Please support these ideas. That have shown it is fair and a other than guilds jumping on resources I don't see any possible problems. That problem though is actually kind of a good thing. It makes more player interaction. The whole idea creates more player interaction. Great job team. I hope to see these done some day.

TirunCollimdus

GM of PATH

Please support these ideas. That have shown it is fair and a other than guilds jumping on resources I don't see any possible problems. That problem though is actually kind of a good thing. It makes more player interaction. The whole idea creates more player interaction.

This has been the main concern I had with this idea, and for me the balance tipped over to the opposite side. I would consider myself a sociable/social (remind me to google on that later for correct use) player, I interact with others, work together with others, yet every single day I log on to EL I see a group of people, allbeit a small group, that in one way or another monopolise part of the game. Wether it be a certain type of spawn, or certain items on the market or even certain resources, simply by undercutting or outpricing or blocking. Granted, this is a small part of the community, but one of the most annoying ones to me.

I may have voted no, but I'm not against the idea in itself. I'm just worried about what effect it will have. But if this were implemented, not too much of a biggie for me, and I agree that it would actually be good for certain others.

Edited by Dilly

As I understand the main focus these days is to retain new players in game (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

If this is the case, both suggested changes will possibly have just the opposite effect in my opinion.

Allowing to multiply will certainly increase a number of alts, but majority of the new players will leave as soon as they realize that in order to accomplish anything significant compared to the older players they would have to run an army of alts.

From what I'm seeing and hearing from new players, they find EL already too time consuming in comparison with rewards/progress rate. That's mostly why they leave to the games where they are getting instant/faster gratification for the time spent. If depleting resources causes the time needed to accomplish certain tasks longer than it is now, this will only escalate a problem.

Offtopic:

In order to retain new players in game I'd suggest to:

- add a map with a storage, accessible only for low levels (up to 21 OA), "between" IP and WS, safe, small, abundant with resources and low level creatures

- add new items that can be produced at low levels and useful for all, for which ingredients can be found only on the map mentioned above

- add new skills, to give new, competitive players to be able to come into being and get high in rankings (remember that old players will still have advantage of posessed resources so it is not going to be easy but more doeable than let's say a/d)

- restrict chat on the newbie channel to new players and a group of players dedicated actually to help them

- focus on small events on IP and new map geared towards new players

just my 2 cents ;-)

that between IP and WS newbie map with heaps of resources, etc. thing is a great idea.

i disagree with the assumption that allowing alts will = less new players though, i'd think more would stay if they could make multiple chars and trade between them...being able to trade with an alt makes the game 'easier' at lower levels especially.

Plus heaps of newbs get banned for illegal multi, no? ...proof right there xD

Edited by Korrode

All good points Cruella, but couldn't IP be that map? the only problem with that is UW and #beam me arrival, but it would be enough to disallow harvesting and store use to characters higher than xx OA.

Plus I wouldn't over-emphasize newbies frustration because of veterans' high level: when I started playing I realized that there would be a loooong time before I could reach some levels, but it gave me motivation to continue instead of deterring me. Plus, if you suggest to create new skills to level the playing field, you'd have to do that periodically, after the current newbies are veterans themselves!

Rehdon

Exactly, a periodical skill updates geared mostly toward new players would be great for the game.

The reasons for that are twofold - firstly as many recent examples show old playeers hate changes and are mostly interested in maintaining status quo (generalization, but I'm sure a good one), secondly only a very small percentage of new players has a mindset "oh what a wonderful game, after a year of grinding I'll make it to top 100 !". Indeed, adding a new skill wisely is helluva job and not an easy task but it would make more good for the game than 5 updates for veterans they will criticize anyway.

Also the problem is that most opinions that reach developer's on forum or ch 6 come from veterans, and often are totally biased. Perhaps a survey on IP would be a good idea, asking new players what they like and what not.

Exactly, a periodical skill updates geared mostly toward new players would be great for the game.

Possibly, but that would be a nightmare to implement and to handle ...

Rehdon

As I understand the main focus these days is to retain new players in game (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

That is a totally different issue with a totally different set of solutions.

Implementing - same as with tailoring, engineering, ranging ..... All the games do that, same have been done in EL in the past. Even one skill per year would be enough I guess.

Handling - agreed, way more difficult. As example, it could have been way better for tailoring (making clothes destructible or to wear off over time) and ranging (adding more ranging targets with large amount of HP and nice drops) in my opinion , that would bring a new life to those two skills.

Also the problem is that most opinions that reach developer's on forum or ch 6 come from veterans, and often are totally biased. Perhaps a survey on IP would be a good idea, asking new players what they like and what not.

Isn't that what happens in most cases when asking people for their opinions? I mean.. even though I spend a significant part of my RL free time in EL, I still succeed to see that it is a game to me, which I would like to enjoy totally the way I like. Sure, I can place myself in a different position and replace personal feelings with a rational way of thinking, but where is it stated that we always have to do this.

Don't get me wrong, I love EL, I love my online buddies, and I appreciate all the efforts that are put into it and am even willing to support that to some extent, but when given the chance to vote for something, I will base my vote on a personal emotion, and not on rationality (which isn't my best vice anyway :whistle:). Therefore you will not likely see me launch an idea, but provide feedback instead. Too many captains on one ship = guarantee for a sinking ship anyways.

Other than that: love the ideas you posted above and think that that might actually be a good help for newbies. There will always be the ones that can't wait to venture out, but at least they will have a safe haven if they want it, where it's easy to get the hang of things.

All I'm saying Dilly is that the interests of new players (the ones who have just installed the game and are making first steps on IP) are absolutely different than those who play 1 year plus or have 100 plus OA or any skill. So if a recent goal is to retain new players, the decisions should be made sometimes despite veterans opinions. The target audience should be asked for opinion, I'm pretty sure taking their answers into account will make it easier to retain them.

Bear in mind, no matter what you think about their wishes and suggestion, no matter how n00b you find them, if they don't get what they won't, they will not stay. They do not care what the game was 2-3-4 years ago, they do not care how hard it was for vets, they are tired to hear about that I guess. During their first, critical hours in EL they want to have fun - if it is no fun, they Alt+X

I will not give an opinion about multi-playing, but i'll try to make an analisys of the effects it will have in the current way of playing. It will affect to the entire EL's economy, to the number of high level players, to the percent of new players who desert the game...

With depletable resources the offer/disponibility of resources will be reduced. This will create an inflation context, so if the offer is reduced, the buyers will pay more for the items, even those of low lvl like flowers, impacting in the price of the basic elements like potions or essences. This will make more difficult to lvl up your alchemy and potions skill basically, proyecting the difficult to other skills tha use them and proyecting the price rise.

The skills less affected willl be the fighting and summoning (despites the essences needed), creating an expulsion from the other skills to these ones. But there are a lot of people interest in the non violence skill wich will be discouraged.

The new items in the game require of pretty high lvl of your skills, so it will be very hard to reach 'em and it's kinda unfair to the new/medium lvl players compared with those who already are high lvl.

Bringing to my mind the earlier politics by Ent trying to reduce the circulant amount of money (gcs) into the game, this new idea makes an oposite effect. The inflation ALWAYS needs more circulant, and more circulant generates more inflation... it's the vicious circle of the inflation. I think this theory is valid on EL's economy 'coz it acts very similar like a perfect competence market.

In the other hand, imagine the new players trying to reach some resources in medium/hard maps. For example if they need silver and the only place where there are disponible is in the cave in Morcraven Marsh... in some way it will reduce the percent of player retention.

Well, i finish saying that i voted NO because of the previous explain. About multiplayer a more direct politic could work better.

Thx for reading, and i'm sorry if my english is not perfect. :whistle:

Dipi.

Edited by dipi

<CLIP>

Allowing to multiply will certainly increase a number of alts, but majority of the new players will leave as soon as they realize that in order to accomplish anything significant compared to the older players they would have to run an army of alts.

From what I'm seeing and hearing from new players, they find EL already too time consuming in comparison with rewards/progress rate. That's mostly why they leave to the games where they are getting instant/faster gratification for the time spent. If depleting resources causes the time needed to accomplish certain tasks longer than it is now, this will only escalate a problem.

Offtopic:

In order to retain new players in game I'd suggest to:

- add a map with a storage, accessible only for low levels (up to 21 OA), "between" IP and WS, safe, small, abundant with resources and low level creatures

- add new items that can be produced at low levels and useful for all, for which ingredients can be found only on the map mentioned above

- add new skills, to give new, competitive players to be able to come into being and get high in rankings (remember that old players will still have advantage of posessed resources so it is not going to be easy but more doeable than let's say a/d)

- restrict chat on the newbie channel to new players and a group of players dedicated actually to help them

- focus on small events on IP and new map geared towards new players

just my 2 cents ;-)

Not being able to instantly have the same gear and accomplishments as an old-timer gives them something to look forward to. If they get everything they want from the game really quick, it would get boring quick and they would leave.

Restricting who can enter a map makes it hard for a more experienced player to help a newer player.

Restricting who can be on the newbie channel means you have to decide who has the right to be there and that would be a pain in the butt.

What is more important than making New maps for new players is keeping the safe maps that they can go to safe during invasions. If fighters want to fight chims in invasions, I say make them go to a map that has chims. Grubani, SKF, KF, TD, RoT has them on C1. Why take away the safe-haven of DP and WS? Shouldn't pro's be where the pro's belong when doing A/D training? I have always believed in "the local animals got pissed and are going on a rampage.....stop them before they go to terrorize other maps".....which would mean that the chims could leave those typical maps, but only if they don't get killed soon enough.

All good points Cruella, but couldn't IP be that map? the only problem with that is UW and #beam me arrival, but it would be enough to disallow harvesting and store use to characters higher than xx OA.

Plus I wouldn't over-emphasize newbies frustration because of veterans' high level: when I started playing I realized that there would be a loooong time before I could reach some levels, but it gave me motivation to continue instead of deterring me. Plus, if you suggest to create new skills to level the playing field, you'd have to do that periodically, after the current newbies are veterans themselves!

Rehdon

I say there might as well be a storage up on the hill on IP. The only problem would be if the pro players camp out there and make it hard to access storage like they do with many other maps. The Tutorial NPC could even be an under OA 20 storage NPC. I forget if he mentions the idea of looking around for quests or not.

Now, on the main topic of this thread. I don't think that harvestables should be the only resource considered. Things you kill are a resource too. There is a chance that multi-play will allow 1 person with 4 characters to take over an entire map. Using alts to help you train any skill under the sun is also a concern that I have.

Now, on the main topic of this thread. I don't think that harvestables should be the only resource considered. Things you kill are a resource too. There is a chance that multi-play will allow 1 person with 4 characters to take over an entire map.

I think you will find thats hard enough to do with 2 chars let alone 4 and that is more trouble that what it would be worth. Trying to flee on char 2 and char 3 dies or flee on char 1 but char 4 needs quickly healing and by that time number 1 spawn has legged it. Outside of pvp and spawn resupplying not sure multi alt will have that must affect on combat.

But say you are correct. Where do you draw the line at resources ? Fe's etc are a resource, do we limit how many a char can make per day ?. kinda get out of hand and stupid pretty quick imo.

Quick question: Were not depletable resources an answer to having multi alts sit at resources and supply the main ? (How I understand Radu's first post) . So without one is there any need for the other ?

Not being able to instantly have the same gear and accomplishments as an old-timer gives them something to look forward to. If they get everything they want from the game really quick, it would get boring quick and they would leave.

No one is talking about getting anything instantly, but withing reasonable, acceptable time, compared with what other games offer. Gear and wealth is not all that makes the game not boring.

Restricting who can enter a map makes it hard for a more experienced player to help a newer player.

I was talking about one map out of all existing ones. No one will stop new players from going to another. There could be a team of helpers who are allowed on the newbie map, or a channel dedicated to address all questions they might have.

Restricting who can be on the newbie channel means you have to decide who has the right to be there and that would be a pain in the butt.

No pain in a butt, just simple selection of a few players/mods with certain game knowledge and proper attitude.

What is more important than making New maps for new players is keeping the safe maps that they can go to safe during invasions. If fighters want to fight chims in invasions, I say make them go to a map that has chims. Grubani, SKF, KF, TD, RoT has them on C1. Why take away the safe-haven of DP and WS? Shouldn't pro's be where the pro's belong when doing A/D training? I have always believed in "the local animals got pissed and are going on a rampage.....stop them before they go to terrorize other maps".....which would mean that the chims could leave those typical maps, but only if they don't get killed soon enough.

Invasions are rare enough that this is not justified. Besides, there are always safe maps and places you can do gazzilions of things other than fighting invasion monsters.

Now, on the main topic of this thread. I don't think that harvestables should be the only resource considered. Things you kill are a resource too. There is a chance that multi-play will allow 1 person with 4 characters to take over an entire map. Using alts to help you train any skill under the sun is also a concern that I have.

One of the worst EL nightmares - antagonizing "harvesters" and "fighters". I wonder when people realize that one cannot prosper without another and start to co-operate ...

Besides, you can evan now "take over the entire map" with just one character ;)

gallery_42755_88_22364.jpg

Hi Folks,

I'm a little guy, being playing about 3 months. I don't like this idea of depletable resources. Traipsing around looking for a plant that works. It takes long enough to do things in EL as it is. The info about what works where, would become a sellable resource in itself. Walking half way across a continent to find your bag exposition has been curtailed? I can't use the portals room and go to or from? I can't afford the rings either.

I don't have alts and don't want. Takes me long enough developing my character. I suppose I could set a load up running at 1 frame per second and have them sat at a favourable resource. Not to harvest, but to tell me if the resource is available.

I can see the moderators have a problem, but I don't like this solution.

-- ZootNerper

Zootnerper is the kind of person you want to be listening to , stuck around for 3 months prolly going to stick around alot longer but most importantly brings a dose of reality for what its like as a new-ish player. Sounds sincere to !

Ok, I see that the proposal failed, there is no point in keeping the threads open anymore, all that had to be said was said.