Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Gatherer Medallion

And yes, that's how things are going to be from now on, I am tired of working at features no one uses, and this is a good way to see if people really want a feature.

Though I fully understand and respect you'r reason for this, I'm afraid I don't believe making people pay for an expected feature is going to help much there. For instance, if you had asked for 500k gc before implementing horses or speedHAX, I'm sure the money would have been payed. I would have donated to the cause, but I have not bought a single horse whistle or used any speedHax potion. I don't have IEDP perk, so I'd stop running in no time (and toadstools are to heavy and dangerouse for me to eat in mass away from storage), and the horses have no real value to my way of playing EL.

Exactly, I agree 100%: it's not that people don't want the features you implemented, it's that they work in such a way that few players find them appealing and/or really useful. IMHO the problem is that the focus has been more on solving accessory problems (creating money sinks, making new objects, reducing amount of some ingredients in game etc.) than on the features itself, so that the features are there but very few players are using them. Here are my suggestions:

Running

Running should be a basic feature of the game, one that should be boasted on the feature list page, available to new players and advanced players as well. How it could work:

• start/stop running through a button in the toolbar or shortcut key
  • you can't run if you're carrying more than half of your carrying capacity
  • while running your food consumption doubles (or triples)
  • the speed hax potion would allow you to run irrespective of your carrying capacity
  • to keep balance, some aggressive (and non aggressive) creatures should be able to run too

Horses

Another very nice feature that should be more widespread:

• make use of stables: you get a horse at a stable, you pay a fee which could be a daily, weekly etc. depending for how long you're going to keep the horse
  • horses don't disappear when you dismount, but you can't enter storage areas or buildings, so you'd have to turn the horse back to a stable before doing that
  • horses move at normal or running speed
  • if you keep the horse for more than 1-2 hour you have to feed it with animal food
  • it should be possible to fight while on horses (cavalry charge ftw! :)

Seeing how many features are introduced and slowly refined with time I'm confident that these two will be improved (hopefully according to my suggestions) to become much more widely used.

Rehdon

There are better and easier way's to scam people! serping a spawn would be allot better and effective thing to do. And everybody knows that you won't serp a spawn just to be funny.

You serp someones spawn because you want to piss them off, not because you want drops.

There are better and easier way's to scam people! serping a spawn would be allot better and effective thing to do. And everybody knows that you won't serp a spawn just to be funny.

You serp someones spawn because you want to piss them off, not because you want drops.

Once, i got arti drop while serping markusweck :)

well i dont really have enough time to read whole but please excuse my n00bnes and can you answer this? :(

Is this implemented yet? or going to be implemented?

-Kaddy

Going to be implemented. Entropy already took donations for this feature.

Sorry but I think that we are on the same level overhear, i don't understand your point ! :(

Or are you just gathering spamming points?? :(

Edited by elg3neral

Running

Running should be a basic feature of the game, one that should be boasted on the feature list page, available to new players and advanced players as well. How it could work:

• the speed hax potion would allow you to run irrespective of your carrying capacity
  • to keep balance, some aggressive (and non aggressive) creatures should be able to run too

[Teh thr34d h1j4ck]

Absolutely.

IMHO what is missing, is stamina, with regen rates (reasonably high) based on some particular stat.

I expected when running was implemented the only use potions would have, to increase natural running

duration and not THE requirement to run at all. There are certain base features that are so common amongst

all games (First person shooters, RPG and so on) that running is nearly implemented without much variety.

Now if some type of stamina was implemented, this could affect combat as well. Halberd consumes more stamina

than a Rapier, a fighter with a higher stamina increasing stat could last longer in a battle. Therefore, if you run

from enemies too long, you will lack the stamina to wield the Orc Slayer. Also you would need to -rest- at the ore,

before mining, if you exhausted yourself in the run.

The problem with running using food, any boost to running is prohibited, because it will affect mixing too greatly.

---

On horses, I totally agree with stables. Here is my opinion why:

Stables can both increase horse usage and make it a gold coin consumer (stable fees). How?

currently they *poof* when you do anything but ride them, but if your horse persisted, there would be

a psychological attachment to keep it alive. (stable fees and feed, horse gear). Just play any game that

is based on maintain a pet, like a virtual aquarium, its bizarre how people become compelled to feed imaginary

pets. But something reasonable, not 50k for an hour of stable time or some other overblown cost ensuring its never used either.

--

IMHO again the best money sinks are the small ones, 1-10 gc something trival and popular. The other key

is the player should never know or notice that it IS a money sink. Really, if its declared a money sink and will consume

1mill+ gc with little or no real benefit, its got to be damn fun or no one will ever use it.

[sorry for the ontopic offtopic]

robotbob, your stamina idea makes sense in a game with little player based economy. In EL, however, if the running potion is too cheap, then the advantages are too great.

As an aside, since you mentioned the extra gc would be put towards another implementation:

Is this the way of the future? Will we have to pay for new features? To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. :D

Doesn't matter how you feel about it, because you are not the one implementing it.

And yes, that's how things are going to be from now on, I am tired of working at features no one uses, and this is a good way to see if people really want a feature.

Though I fully understand and respect you'r reason for this, I'm afraid I don't believe making people pay for an expected feature is going to help much there. For instance, if you had asked for 500k gc before implementing horses or speedHAX, I'm sure the money would have been payed. I would have donated to the cause, but I have not bought a single horse whistle or used any speedHax potion. I don't have IEDP perk, so I'd stop running in no time (and toadstools are to heavy and dangerouse for me to eat in mass away from storage), and the horses have no real value to my way of playing EL.

P.s. didn't se this till after the 500k had been collected, and I don't do much fighting anyway.

Edit: typo

Heh. It is often the rich folk that pay for such things too. :) 95% of EL probably won't end up paying anything. If this is a good thing or a bad thing is yet to be seen. lol

Exactly, I agree 100%: it's not that people don't want the features you implemented, it's that they work in such a way that few players find them appealing and/or really useful. IMHO the problem is that the focus has been more on solving accessory problems (creating money sinks, making new objects, reducing amount of some ingredients in game etc.) than on the features itself, so that the features are there but very few players are using them. Here are my suggestions:

Running

Horses

Another very nice feature that should be more widespread:

• make use of stables: you get a horse at a stable, you pay a fee which could be a daily, weekly etc. depending for how long you're going to keep the horse
  • horses don't disappear when you dismount, but you can't enter storage areas or buildings, so you'd have to turn the horse back to a stable before doing that
  • horses move at normal or running speed
  • if you keep the horse for more than 1-2 hour you have to feed it with animal food
  • it should be possible to fight while on horses (cavalry charge ftw! :D

Seeing how many features are introduced and slowly refined with time I'm confident that these two will be improved (hopefully according to my suggestions) to become much more widely used.

Rehdon

Any interesting notion. I would really hate to be chased by a pissed off or hungry animal though. most animals can run much faster than a human (or other player character).

The horse fighting could be interesting. Of course, if you fight someone on a horse, you have a chance of hitting the horse and having it fall down on the rider or you or someone else. That would require some more thinking for Entropy and Roja. For now, it seems to mainly be a bragging right....like when I sit on IP wearing my best gear which I made myself just for the heck of it.

robotbob, your stamina idea makes sense in a game with little player based economy. In EL, however, if the running potion is too cheap, then the advantages are too great.

This is why I suggested to use the carrying capacity as the basic limit for running: you can either move at double speed and carry half the normal load, or move at normal speed and carry the full load = perfect balance if compared with the current situation.

A relatively expensive potion like the speed hax potion was a reasonable means to go beyond the physical limit of half-load running, but I see that you removed it with the last server update, so I wonder what will happen to running :confused:

Rehdon

A relatively expensive potion like the speed hax potion was a reasonable means to go beyond the physical limit of half-load running, but I see that you removed it with the last server update, so I wonder what will happen to running :confused:

Well, it would be good to know as well what are the plans for existing speed hax potions and their basic ingredient - Leonard fur. Perhaps for a short period of time a NPC could have been set up to buy these potions that has already been produced (to allow to get rid of them and get money invested in MoP's back). As to Leonard fur, I hope it will get some other use soon.

As to the idea to pay for things that are going to be implemented, this is very promissing, but providing that players will have an influence on what it actually is. Such approach would make both players happier and remove more gold from the game. As example, I'm sure that many would have paid gladly for 100-120 a/d instance being added fast.

As example, I'm sure that many would have paid gladly for 100-120 a/d instance being added fast.

totally offtopic but yes, i would gladly pay my share for that.

As example, I'm sure that many would have paid gladly for 100-120 a/d instance being added fast.

totally offtopic but yes, i would gladly pay my share for that.

Count me in :confused:

Rehdon

Well, it would be good to know as well what are the plans for existing speed hax potions and their basic ingredient - Leonard fur. Perhaps for a short period of time a NPC could have been set up to buy these potions that has already been produced (to allow to get rid of them and get money invested in MoP's back). As to Leonard fur, I hope it will get some other use soon.

Implementing an NPC cost time, and I am not going to spend my time for those who didn't use those potions, lol. There will be no use for the Leo fur for the forseable future, people were greedy and selling too high.

Like everything new in the game, prices for speed hax were high at first and slowly dropped. (Note the new Gatherer Meds are selling for 10k, much more than their actual ing value.)

The sudden addition of Leonard fur, and uncertainty of how many would be available (some nights he's killed a lot, other nights you never hear a peep from him killing or being killed), led to wildly fluctuating prices for the fur at first. Still not sure what it would sell for today (if it had a use).

Price for speed hax was as high as 1200gc per potion when they were first being made. They sold for that too. Prices eventually dropped, was stable at around 6-700gc for a while, and just before it was announced that they were being removed were being advertised for 500gc.

They would most likely have dropped even more if kept in game based on how the market price for them was going before their removal. 450gc each would have put Lenny fur value at about 2kgc, cheapest I've seen Lenny furs go for is 1.8kgc (still at that price on one bot in the game, other bots have as high as 5kgc showing just how undecided we got on fur price, hehe).

Break-even counting Lenny fur as being worth absolutely nothing would be around 280gc each due to MoPs, so they most likely wouldn't have dropped more than that.

Lenny fur, unlike other furs that can be easily-enough grabbed off a spawn somewhere, just had too much of an uncertainty factor to get a stable price on.

However, despite selling some in the beginning at the highest price, after the price dropped none were sold. Advertising was done, we were starting to set prices at lower than what we saw others advertise for, and that was causing the price drop and why I felt it would have dropped further.

Problem was the only reason the price was dropping is that noone was buying. Even with a further lowered price, that wasn't going to change.

The pots were obviously not intended for people who carry a lot, and the people making the pots are mostly harv/mixers who do in fact carry a lot. Thus, they weren't made for the people actually making them.

The people who have them leftover are the ones who spent the 20kgc on the book, buying/chasing the furs, buying/mixing the MoPs (very time-consuming), and risking ing loss to mix these high-level pots, only to have them sit in storage unsellable at any price.

The request for the means to get rid of them comes from those who actually have them, the ones who took the time and spent the gc to make them, not the ones who would use them as they aren't the ones stuck with them. We're the ones who took the huge hit on this and any other potion that's brought in, as we're all too willing to make them only to find after the fact that there's no market.

We've read a 20k book that is completely useless now. We've mixed pots that cost a ton of time and gc to make that are completely useless now. And it's not the first time high-level potters have taken this kind of hit.

I don't personally care about the furs or pots doing nothing in my storage, as I've already accepted that they're a ton of gc and time wasted.

I just don't want this being blamed on those of us who did waste a ton of time and gc on these. People were willing to pay 1kgc or more for a single potion, indicating the 500-600gc price (and rapidly dropping) on removal was in no way the problem.

The problem was simply that it was near-impossible to use, not worth the extreme amount of work and self-poisoning it would take just to get somewhere a little faster. That's something we can't control as lowly mixers.

Just like we can't control the lack of interest in the att/def reduction pots... and those were even being sold from the beginning at a barely break-even cost (I know because I pretty much set the price on them being the first to advertise them). Those didn't even go through the inflated "new item" price like most other things do.

Lack of interest (or at least lack of interest in their implementation), was the only problem here. Cost had nothing to do with it. Unlike the reduction pots, there was never a complaint about the cost of speed hax.

(Edited to remove some duplicate wording, correct some spelling/grammar.)

Edited by GoodDay2Die

Like everything new in the game, prices for speed hax were high at first and slowly dropped. (Note the new Gatherer Meds are selling for 10k, much more than their actual ing value.)

Much more?

10 moon meds, ~1.9k

1 seri bar, ~6-7k

1 gatherer medallion, priceless

Seridium bar break-even cost is 5.2kgc (including food and cost of harvables to self-make essies/gloms which most who make those bars do), so 5.5kgc at most.

(These 6-7k quotes didn't appear until after this med was announced, artificial temporary inflation. Mostly made-up numbers anyway as there was no real market for these bars before.)

Moon meds are more 175gc since most are sold to NPC anyway, so 1750 for 10.

That's 7250gc. Negligible FE and henbane make it maybe 7300gc.

The 10k price at first is not surprising, and deserved for those who've dove head-first into making these meds. But don't expect them to stay at that price as more start making them and there's some "competition". I'd predict maybe 8k will end up being the stable price in the future.

Harv meds are consistently selling for over 7k now. I've sold a number of them through a friend's bot for over 7k. That's where my price for seridium bars comes from. And moon meds sell to players for more than the npc pays.

EDIT: And I, as well as others, do augment the pain of that much coal harving by buying the earth ess for congs.

Edited by lordchron

The harvester meds were like 6K, so how can the seridium bar be 6-7K?
Harvester meds were (past tense) running about 6K up until the most recent change in break rate and other changes (mini-events, etc). They jumped to the 7.5K-8K range and I think have settled down closer to 7.5K (on average, you can find them higher and lower).

I can no longer seem to find seridium bars at 5K, but I'm not sure what the current market price is.

I would fully expect the first-to-market gatherer meds to run in the 10K range, but they'll drop as supply meets demand.

Edited by bkc56

Harv meds got a sudden artificial inflation as well when they got the new uses, and in return there was a new demand for them. I know I'm wearing them almost regularly now whereas before the changes I used 3 total and gave up on them (granted I also just made my own first handful of them, as well as made the bars for them, but I bought several as well between when the new uses were added and I made that handful).

Consider also that some of those new users were only doing it to stop the MB when they harved dung. Not the case for me since I didn't harv that, but others who were buying them primarily for that reason are no longer in the market for them.

Thanks for the new med. :P I just finished the book, made my first 2 and tested it out a bit on some dchim multi and am very impressed. It should prove quite useful and was well worth my 1 invasion token donation.

Thanks for the new med. :P I just finished the book, made my first 2 and tested it out a bit on some dchim multi and am very impressed. It should prove quite useful and was well worth my 1 invasion token donation.

I hope that you are only using them for invasions, because if you use them for normal stuff the break right might not make it worth it.