Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Gatherer Medallion

nice Idea,but I fear it provides some chances for abuse.

there will be more people killing weaker monsters than they could,which was a problem of TS pots and ithat was a really unwanted thing I think...

anyway great for ranging...

I see another problem too: Like someone is killing a dragon/yeti/we, when it goes below 100hp you harm it and you get the drops with just 1 magic spell. I'm pretty sure this will be "abused" a lot in the future with this med.

I really am not sure how this will be abused, or why you would want to wear it while doing ranging stuff.

I think I'm misunderstanding the purpose of the medallion. It seems to me that this would be the perfect solution to the loss of bags while ranging.

As for abuse, I can see a few possibilities. Anyone training on a multicombat map could potentially lose all bags to any asshole who decides to follow him or her around, join at the last minute, and get the bag. The thief then doesn't waste any HE or SRs and doesn't run the risk of degrading any weapons or armor. I know the argument is then "but the first guy got all the experience," but that person now has to spend his or her time between training trying to make gc, hence loss of training time and loss of experience.

Don't get me wrong: I believe the benefits (such as ranging) far outweigh the potential for abuse and I'm very excited about its implementation. Had I been on the other day, I certainly would have contributed. In the statement above I'm merely playing devil's advocate.

You do realize that the person that did the most to the creature gets the bag? If someone comes when creature has low hp and attacks it, he won't get anything

I really am not sure how this will be abused, or why you would want to wear it while doing ranging stuff.

People are under the impression that they will get the bag contents from creatures they shoot. I dont think this is the case, you only get the contents if you are the one that would be on the bag after melee combat, right?

People are under the impression that they will get the bag contents from creatures they shoot. I dont think this is the case, you only get the contents if you are the one that would be on the bag after melee combat, right?

Yes, it is worded very clearly in my post.

What it does:

When you kill a creature, if you are the one to get the bag, you will instead get all the drops in your inventory.

You can kill a creature via several ways, also counters for kills from ranging and simple attack are the same.

So that's the reason we were thinking it is related to ranging too, nothing more...

#Edit: posted reply at the same time :whistle:

Now it is pretty clear, thanks for explanation.

Edited by Vidriel

You can kill a creature via several ways, also counters for kills from ranging and simple attack are the same.

So that's the reason we were thinking it is related to ranging too, nothing more...

#Edit: posted reply at the same time :whistle:

Now it is pretty clear, thanks for explanation.

But when you kill a creature via ranging, you are not the one to get the bag, now are you?

Someone mentioned that wearing this medallion adds a 'autoloot' function for the melee fighters...I think that pretty much sums up what the medallion is for ^^

or am I wrong? O_o"

As for abuse, I can see a few possibilities. Anyone training on a multicombat map could potentially lose all bags to any asshole who decides to follow him or her around, join at the last minute, and get the bag. The thief then doesn't waste any HE or SRs and doesn't run the risk of degrading any weapons or armor. I know the argument is then "but the first guy got all the experience," but that person now has to spend his or her time between training trying to make gc, hence loss of training time and loss of experience.

There are better and easier way's to scam people! serping a spawn would be allot better and effective thing to do. And everybody knows that you won't serp a spawn just to be funny.

And if a monster is that hard that somebody have to jump in at the last minute. take some mag ess with you, and heal it then you can collect 2 bags :>.

Jumping in the last minute doesn't give you the bag

** VOTING FOR AN RANGING COLLECTING MEDAL **

Edited by elg3neral

** VOTING FOR AN RANGING COLLECTING MEDAL **[/size]

That would be very difficult to implement, because it is very hard to determine who deserves the bag, if you take into account the arrows and magic.

That would be very difficult to implement, because it is very hard to determine who deserves the bag, if you take into account the arrows and magic.

Hmm would it be possible to implement it that way, that the one who made most damage to that monster/player and is still in it's sight would get the bag ?

(that would require to maintain a list of all actors who made damage to it tho...)

** VOTING FOR AN RANGING COLLECTING MEDAL **[/size]

Its already good to hear that it isn't impossible, And don't worry ( I ) have the time :) .

It would already be great to have the lowest priority to get the bag in order to melee fighters.

But I can imagine the flaming that would rise up wen a lower lev ranger spend tons of arrows to get a giant down,

and wen its almost done some pr0 with (pk) arrow kill's it in one shot and get the bag.

Besides that its still better then getting no drops at all.

On a bethel invasion the honerest rangers already spit the drops if they can get on it without dieing.

But ok, this is a bid out of topic.

nice Idea,but I fear it provides some chances for abuse.

there will be more people killing weaker monsters than they could,which was a problem of TS pots and ithat was a really unwanted thing I think...

anyway great for ranging...

Beware the possibility of AFK or idle fighters who are armed to the teeth and below the ignore level of the creatures in the area. Although this is an AFK training method which I believe is already considered against the rules (I may be wrong here), they would not only get the xp, but the drops as well.

Entropy, will there ever be a server side AFK status? I figure it could help you control what affects AFK has on a person. AFK harvesters could then stop harvesting and their characters could stop snoring and the medallion could be turned off when AFK.

So now the testers of this game have to pay for the privilege to test new features. That's like asking someone for payment for fixing your TV for you.

Well, maybe if he changes his mind on things that we paid gc to get into the game, he might fix the item or count the gc towards another item.

I see how both your view and Entropy's view on this are both perfectly valid.

Heh. Try to relax a little bit though. If he gets gc out of the game this way, perhaps he won't try to remove it from the game as much in other ways. He has adjusted the break rates of many items and made a number of things with the intentions of removing gc. This is a different way for him to do it, so perhaps he won't need to do it as much in the other ways. It could be better for EL and for him if he charges us to implement an item. Besides, this is a "beta" version game. It is an Eternal Test here in Eternal Lands.

well i dont really have enough time to read whole but please excuse my n00bnes and can you answer this? :)

Is this implemented yet? or going to be implemented?

-Kaddy

So now the testers of this game have to pay for the privilege to test new features. That's like asking someone for payment for fixing your TV for you.

Well, maybe if he changes his mind on things that we paid gc to get into the game, he might fix the item or count the gc towards another item.

I see how both your view and Entropy's view on this are both perfectly valid.

Heh. Try to relax a little bit though. If he gets gc out of the game this way, perhaps he won't try to remove it from the game as much in other ways. He has adjusted the break rates of many items and made a number of things with the intentions of removing gc. This is a different way for him to do it, so perhaps he won't need to do it as much in the other ways. It could be better for EL and for him if he charges us to implement an item. Besides, this is a "beta" version game. It is an Eternal Test here in Eternal Lands.

I do see your point about money sinks. However, I think there are better ways to do this, such as new NPC items, or a one-time payment for more storage space, for example. I think charging people for content to test is wrong, and though people might say 'But it's a real game because we can play it without having to test', the fact of the matter is that Radu could pretty much do anything as it's only a Beta (remove the newly implemented content, for example).

Hmm so this game is broken , and need to be fixed ???

I do see your point about money sinks. However, I think there are better ways to do this

So don't we all !!!

Arcademuffin was banned from the forums for a month for this comment:

Unconstructive criticism, no arguments given, offtopic.

No, its like paying someone to upgrade a tv they gave you for free. If you don't need the upgrade, don't pay.

As an aside, since you mentioned the extra gc would be put towards another implementation:

Is this the way of the future? Will we have to pay for new features? To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. :wub:

Doesn't matter how you feel about it, because you are not the one implementing it.

And yes, that's how things are going to be from now on, I am tired of working at features no one uses, and this is a good way to see if people really want a feature.

Though I fully understand and respect you'r reason for this, I'm afraid I don't believe making people pay for an expected feature is going to help much there. For instance, if you had asked for 500k gc before implementing horses or speedHAX, I'm sure the money would have been payed. I would have donated to the cause, but I have not bought a single horse whistle or used any speedHax potion. I don't have IEDP perk, so I'd stop running in no time (and toadstools are to heavy and dangerouse for me to eat in mass away from storage), and the horses have no real value to my way of playing EL.

P.s. didn't se this till after the 500k had been collected, and I don't do much fighting anyway.

Edit: typo

Edited by DanRothar