Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL 'trailer' movie needed (with contest)

Last time I asked for an EL tutorial video, I didn't get much, but maybe now we have some people who are pr0 at video editing.

What we need is an EL trailer to put on YouTube and embed on our websites, so that people can watch it before downloading the game and decide if they like the game or not. It would also server as a promotional thing, if a newbie comes and sees a nice trailer, he or she might be more willing to try the game, rather than just quit after a few minutes because EL is not WoW or Runescape.

The trailer should show different aspects of EL, such as PKing, Invasions, manufacturing, scenic walks, maybe some events as well (such as arena events, weddings, whatever).

Here are the requirements:

1. High definition, or at least 640x480. It can be wide screen if desired.

2. No copyrighted stuff in the video (music, clips from other sources). If you want to use background music, make sure it is free or you have the written permission of the author.

3. No longer than 1 minute, no shorter than 30 seconds.

4. No messages embedded in the video such as: "grabbed/edited with the free/unregistered version of this or that software, please buy!".

5. Make it look profesional, see how other game trailers are made.

The winner gets a nexus removal stone (but only if the video is good enough for us to use). If there are multiple really good submissions, then we'll have a vote on the forums to decide the winner.

Post here if you think you can do it.

You can pm Roja for links to Eternal Lands music.

Havnt played with video capture since i got my first ever pc but as that was only 3 weeks ago *cough* ill give it a go.

Cant say it will be anywhere near good, but whats the worst that can happen :P

I think I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure I'll meet all requirments though, but we'll see, maybe I'll feel inspired :P

For sure I have footage of invasions, pk, events and more..

I think it'll look boring anyway without music, and I have absolutely no idea how I could add a song which meets requirments.

If anyone wants to help with music, PM me ingame please :)

Edited by Celace

The music we used for the client can be used, if anyone still has it..if need be I can put up a couple songs of it to download.

I could give it a try, but don't forget that if you want to put it on youtube the quality goes bad like bigtime. And isn't 1 minute way too short for a trailer? maybe make it like 2 minutes top or so?

No 1 min is just long enough that people wouldn't get bored..could even be too long. Attention spans don't last :P

I was about to reply but something else caught my attention ......

oh yeh that was it ! Im not sure if the music has changed at all since I started in '06 but I remember Naralik music was pretty ahead of its time for EL , had a catchy riff to it compared to the others and this is coming from someone who still listens to alot of Jimi Hendrix even though ive heard it over and over again , Naralik music was the best lol

There's no need to show all skills, just some fighting and the general gist of the game I guess... i'm not sure how well a trailer video can be made. would be neat if it works :)

Top 30 seconds, EL is a way too lowpace game for a "long" video..

Also, I believe copyright doesnt cover songs of partial use, if you just write in "credits" artist and song nobody will/can cry.

Do you want us to show the HUD (chat/stats) in the video? Or would that just be distracting?

The HUD yes, the chat preferably not, unless if you want to showcase the chat system.

Also, I believe copyright doesnt cover songs of partial use, if you just write in "credits" artist and song nobody will/can cry.

They won't cry, but they can sue you anyway.

Showing off high end armors would be good, I always look at them when I start an MMO. Maybe the camera circling around a character (name and health removed, damn fameseekers) cycling through the different dragon armours.

Its kind of hard to make a trailer exciting if we have to show someone mixing or harving eh..
It could only be a few seconds, most game/film trailers change scenes every 3-4 seconds.

For harvesting show the animation of a character being hit by the cavern wall collapsing, mixing could have the level up fireworks.

What caught my eye when I was looking was how lovely the characters looked. Also I think putting some of the nicer clothes on the characters would be a nice draw too.

They won't cry, but they can sue you anyway.

To anyone interested;

Magnatune has a wide variety of musical artists of different genres signed up.

You can listen to all songs from all their artists on-demand, for free. They also make the process of purchasing a licence to use a song commercially (as opposed to buying copies of songs for private use, like normally when you buy an audio CD) very easy too, and quite cheap.

More info here:

http://magnatune.com/info/licensing

idk if it'll be useful, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I could see the EL trailer being formatted very similar to something like this one:

I could see the EL trailer being formatted very similar to something like this one:

I don't know, that trailer has only two elements: BS buzzy keywords (destiny, distant land, warrior, etc) and fights. It's kind of boring I think.

Well, it highlights the storyline, fighting, magic, maps, summoning aspect of the game, so that's why I thought it could be a good model :P

I liked the trailer, though the game was nothing like the trailer :P

Ok Sound's nice, I will give it an try :-)

30 ~ 1min is more then enough. for an trailer.

a longer vid. you already need to think about a story line.

About the tutor it was to difficult and to mutch time consuming.

And for somthing like that you need an pr0 voice over,

lol you don't want to hear me speak English XD

I think if I want to make some reasonable trailer in my free time

I will need about 4 ~ 6 weeks.

Quality. thats bid of an problem.

To edit the video i am ok , working with Adobe Premiere / audition (got license)

With Matrox RTX 100 editing card.

But grabbing high quality moving video from screen that's something different.

If you want to get High quality without lagging and shocking material.

you need big a** processing stuff. My computer is not build for that.

I will try but if peeps with high end stuff can provide in quality video (like 1e person stuff etc.)

I will be very happy. and it would make an big difference.

Its kind of hard to make a trailer exciting if we have to show someone mixing or harving eh..

Consider shows like CSI/NCIS, lab work scenes aren't exactly the most interesting thing but they use quick cuts with music showing small "highlights" of what's going on, thus keeping the storyline pace going. Those scenes would grind the shows to a halt if they weren't done this way in the same way showing someone just sitting there clicking on harvables or the mix panel would. :P

For non-fighting skills, level eye-candy, radon/cavern wall event, "you started to harvest dung" for the WTF??? value :P Manufacturing (creating a sword) would probably be appealing (ooh, I can make my own sword!), or making anything else that could be related to without knowing game play. Clothes/armor, jewelry... things like essences would just make people wonder "what's that?"

(Don't have the comp or skills to try a video myself, just tossing some ideas for those that can)

Edited by GoodDay2Die

Eye candy helps with the harvesting/mixing dilemma. There's no reason you can't show a cavern wall falling on someone's head or getting OA while mixing something up. It's visually attractive and allows potential new players to see skills other than fighting.