Eternal Lands Official Forums
Starlite

Mini Harv Events

I'll admit, I hate the mini harvesting events, but Ive thought about something that would help those who hate it..

How about making a enhanced harvest med? Stops mini events from occuring and is only sold from a NPC. Price ~10k. It gives the same stats as a normal harv med, but stops the mini events from occuring. It would have the same break rate as a regular Harvest Med. Because its sold from a NPC, it would remove gc from the game. 10k Is cheap enough for those with a high bankroll to purchase, yet expensive enough that your garden variety n00b cant purchase it.

With the breaking rates of a normal harvest med it would be cheaper to just buy raw materials. Well thought out idea :)

I know a lot has been written on this topic already but i just wanted to add my few pennies worth if i may.

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the new mini harvesting events (as it stands anyway), for a few reasons.

The main one is that during the (too many to mention) hours each day that i log onto the game, real life also intrudes. Sometimes (due to a very demanding husband) i actually have to provide meals here. And other times people ruin my concentration by daring to phone me.

All joking apart though. I love El, and have done since i first discovered the game by accident. i log on for an addictive amount of hours a day and i'm even taking my lap top on holiday with me because i can't bear to be parted from it.

But sometimes i do quite a bit of afk harvesting.. especially for the making of creature foods where so many flowers (slow harvesting ones to boot) are required. i then have taken the opportunity of my afk times to sit at those flowers and harvest while my attentions have been demanded elsewhere.

These 'afk sessions' have been part of my day in El. Not a huge part but definitely a part.

i just wanted to point out that not all afkers do it because they want to make money or raise their levels quicker. Some like me, i believe, do it to aid their enjoyment of the game. Which is why we are all here isn't it? Because we are playing something that we all enjoy?

i'm sorry i don't have any ideas to give. Being of an advanced age.. i'm at a loss to know what can and can't be implimented in a computer game.

And i hope that my rambling thoughts haven't been construed as being negative, i just wanted to explain my feelings.

many thanks for reading.

spirited

Well, all the other skills in the game require you to pay attention to the game, so I don't think this change is against the spirit of the game. You can still alt tab and do stuff, but I think it is a little bit weird to be able to afk from the game while still doing stuff in the game.

It's like IRL really, some activities liek cooking don't require 100% attention, but if you are not careful you can ruin your food :pickaxe:

To cook and play at same time work fine for me, but to sit withoutmoving make me so sleepy, I tried to harvest sulfur for 2 hours now and fell asleep 3 times.

I don't know what is best, cooking players or sleeping players.

And in RL, while cooking, the oven doesn't switch off automatically every 5 seconds. Imagine this:

"You gained 3 units of electric power." *ping* "Your plate has been broken." *ping* "Six vitamines were added to your pizza." *ping* "The fat in your meat has been reduced." *PING*

Being a vegetarian would sound very attractive...

It's like IRL really, some activities liek cooking don't require 100% attention, but if you are not careful you can ruin your food :icon13:

Harvesting should be more like doing the laundry. I'll start it and be back in 40 minutes to put it into the drier. :pickaxe:

To Zamirah:

You can use the sound effect feature and bind a sound to a certain text message that is sent :icon13: .

Edit: chose the wrong quote :pickaxe:

Edited by Stone

Well, all the other skills in the game require you to pay attention to the game, so I don't think this change is against the spirit of the game. You can still alt tab and do stuff, but I think it is a little bit weird to be able to afk from the game while still doing stuff in the game.

It's like IRL really, some activities liek cooking don't require 100% attention, but if you are not careful you can ruin your food :P

yes i agrea... ish... but thats why we cant just harvest straight into storage... we can only harvest as much as we can carry then we just sit afk till we come back and take our load to storage... just like in cooking you can leave a good meal for hours to cook in the oven then come back to it, or leave for hours to harvest ore ingame... but i have to go back so offten to reharvest that i cant do anything elts...

BUT!!! if the idea is to make you pay attention more when harvesting then its is the best way i can think of where both sides get something... the click of death is much worse then this

Edited by Orick

lol, i think, the relationship between cooking and harvesting is more like

you can leave a good meal for hours to cook in the oven then come back to it

and find a nice lump of coal :P

Of course, you should pay attention while cooking, but i'm not checking my meal every 5-10 seconds, to stay with the cooking story :)

Piper

lol, i think, the relationship between cooking and harvesting is more like
you can leave a good meal for hours to cook in the oven then come back to it

and find a nice lump of coal :P

Of course, you should pay attention while cooking, but i'm not checking my meal every 5-10 seconds, to stay with the cooking story :)

Piper

thats because you cant cook :) ask your mom how long she cooks a rost xD

thats because you cant cook :P ask your mom how long she cooks a rost xD

My mom usually doesnt cook rostogols, but a duck, filled with apples and raisins, takes 90-120 minutes, depending on the size of the duck. :)

And again, you dont check the duck every 5-20 seconds during the whole cooking time :)

Piper

How about we look at it like this...

Mini harvest events vs. one-harvestable-per-click.

Hmmm, why don't we stick with mini harvest events, get used to them, and stop bitching?

Hmmm, why don't we stick with mini harvest events, get used to them, and stop bitching?

Because the mini harvest events, frequent as they are right now, are nearly like the one harvest click, which is even more annoying.

The "click of death" is at least something positive, because with every click you get (harvest) something.

The very frequent mini harvest events are annoying, because they *INTERRUPT* you and force you to start the auto harvester again. And in my very own opinion, that is annoying like hell.

So my suggestion still is, lets live with the mini harvesting events, but dont let them happen that often.

Something which interrupts you every few seconds is not very entertaining IMO.

And, as some other ppl posted earlier, they dont make the game better or more enjoyable.

Piper

Every other skill level determines how well you can do that skill and think that harvesting should be the same way. The harvest events should be tied to ones harvest level.

Edited by Randall

If your worried about afk harvesters, do like what was suggested and boot anyone from the server if they go afk for more than 15 mins. The events are just too annoying. I like to surf the web and do stuff while harvesting and with the events I cant even do that. Discourages me from the playing the game.

Exactly. Especially considering that the following was already said, but somehow miraculously averted.

Ok, too many people complaining, next update it will be one click per one item, as it is in the other games out there, and how it was in the old times.

Please, for the sake of all the other players in EL not complaining in this topic, please stop. Thanks.

Please, for the sake of all the other players in EL not complaining in this topic, please stop. Thanks.

The point of the forums is for people to give their input and their opinion. It shouldn't be that if someone complains, decisions like what was made, is made. We give our input whether it is positive or negative. Does not mean that Ent has to do a damn thing that we suggest or even fix what one may be complaining about. But its our right to give an opinion.

But its our right to give an opinion.

It is a privilege, not a right, to both play a free game as engaging as EL and discuss it on these forums. I didn't say "you can't" or "this isn't what these forums are for," I said "please." :P

If your worried about afk harvesters, do like what was suggested and boot anyone from the server if they go afk for more than 15 mins. The events are just too annoying. I like to surf the web and do stuff while harvesting and with the events I cant even do that. Discourages me from the playing the game.

There are two problems with your idea:

1. In 15 minutes you can do a lot of AFK harvesting, perhaps up to a full inventory, depending on your stats and stuff.

2. Some can just check their alt every 10 minutes and still harvest afk.

Also, do you do any other skills in El while you surf the web? If not, why do you think you should be able to harvest?

Wow.... to be honest when I read all this stuff about mini events I was like oh people flaming again about somethings new as I hadn't had a chance to log in since it had been implemented. So once I did I took a trip down to MM and did a load of silver to see what all the fuss was about.

First time in three years I've felt like turning off EL.

I've tried hard to lvl doing 95% or more of my own harvesting for every thing I do. I understand that harvesting has been "easy" so far, but even if I'm "AFK" harvesting I'm never really that far away either talking to guildies, surfing the web, watching a movie while I harvest whatever... even been lucky enough to harvest at work. There have always been harvest events that broke up the sameness of harvesting and the fact of invasions, and now lenny, even random days like solar flares, and you always have to bring your load back to storage, but this too me seems excessive.

Orange->pink->green spam FTW!!!

I do remember one click per item manufacturing, and rejoiced when I could make more then one on a single click. I was not here for single click/single item harvest but I pry would have kept moving if EL had been like that when I started. The main thing that attracted me to this game was the open ended nature. Practically no skill lvl cap, and no single line skill set. But in order for anyone to lvl to the upper echelons of the game you have to do masssssssive amounts of harvesting or pay someone to harvest it for you. And reaching the upper lvling is what keeps me motivated to play, and seems encouraged, leader boards, high lvl items, if one is to compete one must harvest, but if harvesting becomes a nuisance the the "fun" is gone from any skill that relies on it.

To me what this new process leads to is not a fix on gold farming or "afk" harvesting but a switch in game play. It will no longer be profitable for me or fun to harvest on my own, rather I will have to go monster raping, tie up spawns for a few hours and take the gc to invest it into someone who likes a rainbow colored screen of text or someone who figures out a macro.(which I do not condone nor would I like to support but I won't know who does this and if they are selling at the lowest rate and I need ing. I will buy)

Fixes? well I would live with a lower rate, or I would seriously pay for a perk that either reduced or removed the mini events even 200k or a monthly amount of gc to an NPC would be acceptable to me. 10-20k a month to have no mini events, sounds extreme to some but I would do it, it would save me from epileptic seizures from the flashing colored text. Or a med. or harvester cape of no events(both positive say no stones or xp etc. and no neg.) the cape could be expensive or possibly a new tailoring item harvesters cape and a NMT or something idk anything to slow the rate down.......

Also, do you do any other skills in El while you surf the web? If not, why do you think you should be able to harvest?

Yes I do.

I do most of EL (except for fighting, and I'm not a fighter exactly) while I surf the WEB, work, watch TV or a movie, etc. As I've told before, that is the appealing of the game and that is why I do play EL and I don't play other games like this.

I agree that mixing is not completely AFK but "semi AFK"... And that is just half of the work, and less than the half if you consider that a silver bar (just for example) has ~16+6+1+2+2+(food) EMU in ingredients, and there are considerable more quantities of clicks and time invested while harvesting an item than mixing it.

So I think it's ~ 4/5 to 3/4 of the time harvesting and the remaining 1/5 to 1/4 mixing for me (at least it's my current subjective view). Now, for me it's acceptable to spend that 1/5-1/4 time mixing non AFK or "semi AFK" and the 4/5 to 3/4 harvesting AFK, but it's not acceptable to spend 4/5 to 3/4 non AFK harvesting.

So I'm not able to do non AFK harvest cause as I've stated before and considering the numbers in my previous paragraph I won't spend 12 hours watching the screen every 5 seconds just to harvest enough ingredients to make 2k silver bars, which I will mix in 2 hours.

I have friends that play other games and spends hours and hours completely and absolutely focused on the screen clicking like maniacs (I think they are crazy, but there is a difference in the way I play EL)... but for me that's not playing, it's just a waste of time.

And for the record, I'm not "bitching" just telling something I really consider important in EL, at least from my point of view. And sadly, I'm beginning to think it's that difference with other games is allowed me to play for so long without getting tired of the game.

My two cents

Edit the following and typos:

First time in three years I've felt like turning off EL.

Personally feel the same here, and it's not just bitching...

Edited by piojosnos

Well then, your options are limited.

You can either not do harvesting and focus on other skills, or you can find a game with a better harvesting system. I heard that EVE Online has even offline harvesting, you might enjoy that more.

Well then, your options are limited.

You can either not do harvesting and focus on other skills, or you can find a game with a better harvesting system. I heard that EVE Online has even offline harvesting, you might enjoy that more.

Entropy,

The only skill that can be focused on without harvesting is ranging :D . Even a/d training needs HEs and SRs.

But that aside, I do have a suggestion for limiting the gc that can be made from harvesting. Perhaps the NPCs, like the ones in the flower shops and the ones who buy titanium, could have a per player pay out limit. Once you hit a certain amount of gc made from that type of NPC they won't buy from you anymore that day.

I'd also like to suggest that maybe the harvester medallion could reduce the frequency of the mini events, if the mini events have to stay in game and at the current frequency.

I have enjoyed playing EL since July, I found myself quickly hooked and have watched with interest as the game develops. Even though I haven't always liked or agreed with some of the changes there hasn't been a change that would make me consider quitting until now. I don't say this to make anyone angry, I just think it is something worth knowing. I read several other posts which voice a similar message and I think there are many other players out there who feel the same way but haven't said anything here in forums or in game. I think many of these people may have simply closed the game and walked away.

When you get right down to it, harvesting is boring, but necessary, work and the ability to do it while also doing other RL things is what has appealed to me. It is very nice to be able to harvest your ingredients while doing your RL business so that when you are finally able to find a few solid hours sit down to the game you are all ready to have fun. I (unfortunately :) ) don't have an unlimited amount of time to play EL, so when I do get to sit down and play for a few hours it is completely unappealing for me to spend those few hours staring at my pretty little motionless character while clicking every 10 seconds. I play EL for fun and the frequency of the mini events doesn't make the game more fun to me, it just makes it tedious.

I understand that I have the option to play another game, and that you have the option to change back to single click harvesting. Again, I just thought this might be valuable for you to know and I am not trying to upset anyone or stir trouble. So many hours have gone into making an excellent and fun game that many many many different types of people enjoy, this change just seems the antithesis of all that effort.

How can you not harvest and surf the web at the same time? I'm doing it right now.

I do that with the forums a lot (and other websites, or other things), and I'm harvesting right now ingame as I post. I can still harvest, I can still post. I can't go AFK for several minutes and harvest, but I can still do a slight bit of multitasking (surfing the web, playing less awesome games to fill the empty space, chatting, whatever) and harvest.

I think a lot of this is an exaggerated overreaction. All I see it limiting is the ability to actually go completely AFK, and still harvest, which I used to do from time to time, and it never did make sense. Yes, we do all have things to do in real life. But maybe it's time we made a realization that it is in-fact OK to leave EL and do nothing ingame for a short while. :D

It doesn't stop you every few seconds either... I've gotten a lot of harvests in before being stopped. Other times its more frequent, it definitely varies a lot.

It doesn't make harvesting any harder, as long as you're paying a certain amount of attention to the game.

Personally, I'm much happier to know its now harder for some AFK alts to be harvesting resources to sell for gold coins. That there is less likely to be 10 AFK players on a map that I could be interacting and chatting with. That those people who actively play and pay attention completely are now getting more credit for their focus. That there is now a chance for harvesting to be a more elite and somewhat limited skill. And finally, that I'm getting free gold coins, and most of all, harvesting exp. (When can we expect counters for that? :))

My suggestions to my fellow harvesters:

Give it a chance, harvest a lot. Don't just give it 10 min or even a half hour and form your opinion, the rate of events varies a lot.

I've heard a lot of people ingame mentioning its now so hard to tell when you've stopped harvesting. If you use sound, enable a notification for "You stopped harvesting" that allows you to easily tell the moment you've stopped harvesting.

The only skill that can be focused on without harvesting is ranging :D . Even a/d training needs HEs and SRs.

There's always the option to buy those things from harvest/mixers who don't mind the change :D

Thank you Radu, I enjoy this change to the game :)