Eternal Lands Official Forums
Starlite

Mini Harv Events

Has this worked? I can't speak for others, but I know if I was making a lot of gc by harvesting stuff and selling it to npcs, I would still be doing it. It takes more clicks now, but nothing else has changed. I got harvesting events before, too, just not as many. I can still harvest as much as I want and sell it to npcs, I just can't go afk for very long.

You were selling to NPCs, why did'nt you harvest something players would buy ?

Most of the harvesting I always have done afk were flowers, sulfur and coal, very hard to buy ingame.

I think it's part of the problem.

Has this worked? I can't speak for others, but I know if I was making a lot of gc by harvesting stuff and selling it to npcs, I would still be doing it.

You were selling to NPCs, why did'nt you harvest something players would buy ?

Most of the harvesting I always have done afk were flowers, sulfur and coal, very hard to buy ingame.

I think it's part of the problem.

I used selling stuff to npcs as an example because it brings new gc into the game, while selling to players does not. Adding gc to the economy contributes to inflation. I don't like the mini events because it slows down both those who contribute to inflation and those who do not. I think a solution that only slowed down those who contribute to inflation would be better.

OK I can't say I harvest that much but I've done some harving today. The most annoying part with these new events is imho all the server spam. Would it be possible to have all the server messages be sent to a separate window? This way it wouldn't interfere with the normal chat while still being easy to see when a harvest event occurs. This would have the added benefit that one wouldn’t have to see the 'you failed to flee' spam while training.

OK, first I really don't like tabbed chat, I much prefear old behavior. 2nd I obviously didn't get my point across. Yes you can remove the server messages so you don't see them. Now the problem is that I need/want to see them so I know when i need to click to start harving again. If I use tabbed chat I can either see the chat+server messages = spam fiest or I can chose not to see server messeges = hard to know when to start harving again.

I used selling stuff to npcs as an example because it brings new gc into the game, while selling to players does not. Adding gc to the economy contributes to inflation. I don't like the mini events because it slows down both those who contribute to inflation and those who do not. I think a solution that only slowed down those who contribute to inflation would be better.

Most of the farmers made money by selling to players, not to NPCs. However, this does cause inflation, because the players are making finished goods with those items and sell them to the NPC.

OK, first I really don't like tabbed chat, I much prefear old behavior. 2nd I obviously didn't get my point across. Yes you can remove the server messages so you don't see them. Now the problem is that I need/want to see them so I know when i need to click to start harving again. If I use tabbed chat I can either see the chat+server messages = spam fiest or I can chose not to see server messeges = hard to know when to start harving again.

Easy way for that is to stay out of console and select the GM option on the top of the screen...

chat.jpg

If you do that all the server messages will not show up but it will highlight the "server" tab on the top to let you know that you got a server message.

I do this during training to cut out the "You have failed to flee" messages that spam the screen.

2. Put a daily cap on the gc that flower shop NPCs and titanium buying NPCs pay out per player. (which I know can be abused by simply creating more alts to harv with, which is why #3 would be needed.)

As you said, that won't really work. it would only affect the honest players.

i was wondering, if that is really such a bad idea (to stop goldfarming).

I mean lets consider the extreme case, where the NPCs dont buy flowers (and titanium) at all:

What exactly would happen?

The only thing i could see as an issue affecting honest players is the fact, that newbies make their first gc from selling flowers to the shop (at least i did that in the beginning). But even that can be fixed easily.

So is there another aspect which i dont see here ?

Ofcourse i know that some people prefer the easy lupine bush over other ways of earning gc but is that really the way it should be or is meant to be ? :P

Yes seems that some people prefer easy lupines for earning gc over other resources, in fact, I've seen lot's of players and guilds make lot's of money that way. I don't know, but I really think that it's not the way it should be, I honestly prefer to do/mix/harvest other things, what's the point of farming tons of flowers to get just gc? What is the experience involved there? But that is just my humble opinion, so lupine->gc farmers please don't flame me. By the way, I've harvested tons of lupines but to make WEs and potions. :P

About the idea of capping the amount of resources NPC buys I think it looks like a good idea... But I think this one would be even better:

Instead of a cap, let's make the NPCs buy each harvestable a bit cheaper than the last one (1% cheaper or something like that)

For example, at the beginning (for a newbie) the NPC will buy the first 10 lupines at 10gc each (so wow, a nice way for newbies to make 100gc, good and motivating start). But the next 10 lupines, it will be bought from the NPC at 9gc, and this way over and over, until the price decays too low to be profitable (something like 0.01gc each lupine).

This can be done in a per resource/per player basis (I don't know if it's implementable, but as a SW developer I think it should not be really big deal). This way, each new resource you can harvest will give you a nice amount of gc (which would be a great incentive to harvest new stuff), but with the time, the most you sell some item to the NPC, the less the NPC will pay for that item... The price can increase with time, for example, if a player more than X months does not sell lupines, then the NPC will buy again at 10gc, and the decay process begins again.

I think this will certainly stop gold farmers, because no matter how many alts you have you can't get high amounts of gc selling harvestable to the NPC. Well in theory you can have hundreds and thousands of Alts, but come on, you should be able to ban some one with more than 15-20 chars, don't you? Also in theory you can cycle trough almost all resources in game, but the amount of gc you can make this way will have a well defined ceiling. This won't hurt newbies cause they will get reasonable amounts of gold at the beginning from harvestables which might motivate them to keep playing (Easy at beginning, hard once you are hooked).

This of course should help a lot with inflation, cause the amount of gc entering in-game from the NPCs with out something in exchange would be a good thing.

Of course, gold farmers can always sell some harvestable (like silver ore) instead of gc in exchange of $$$, but this way is still a much difficult way of getting $$$ for the gold farmer because it will be related to the demand of certain harvestables that will for sure be much more limited than the demand of gc, especially when most of the gc buyers seems to be fighters (I believe, not completely sure). I don't know, this last point have to be evaluated well to see if the strategy might be effective.

Ok, that was the constructive part of the post...

<now the bitching and complaining :P>

And about lower goals... sorry, no thanks, I don't like mediocrity, and there is a difference between the word challenging and very boring, so if I had the goal of making 13k moon meds from scratch I really won't be happy making 9k, and you know how many ingredients it took to make them... that's just frustrating, and a game is supposed to not be frustrating. And don't tell me that in RL you some time have to set lower goals, or tell me any BS about management and goals (Read my previous paragraph about RL).

So basically, if you make a goal out of making 5K hydro bars in a week, I have to chang ethe game mechanics to allow you to do so, because otherwise you'd have to settle for the realistic mediocre goal of only making a few hundred, right?

No, that would certainly be different, I would never ask you to change the game to allow me to make a certain goal. In fact you underestimate me believing I can think in such a basic way :brooding: What I'm saying is that a goal I've already set will just be much more harder, and that can be very frustrating. Also, even tough EL is already hard and I've accepted that from the beginning there is a limit of how hard can be a game I'm willing to play, and also other players.

In fact, chatting with new players I've helped they are usually amazed at the beginning with the amounts of resources I say them they need to harvest to reach some certain not so high level and some not so hard skill. I've seen how amazed are players that barely have made 1000 FEs when I tell them I've just finished a project to make 12-15k... much of them say there is no way they will made such a big quantity of FEs, and many of them have quit and never I've seen them again :(

Also about your last comment it would be nice to move a bit up the level of the discussion and stop failing in so basic arguments as the last one you have said and some of others you have said (I admit I might have fall low too, just cause the annoying these mini-events are for my playing style).

But at the end, the fact is that you have a certain considerable amount of players that are completely unhappy with the change, to the point of having "quitting feelings" (some of them might really quit, some might not, I don't know yet about me), some that consider that the change is really annoying and some that really consider that the change will absolutely not solve the problems that were supposed to solve (and I think it won't), and for the last item (not solving the problem) I think there are good arguments supporting that in this thread.

And also you have a bunch of good suggestions made with the best intentions (many of them which I consider are excellent) which aims to help you solve the gold farmers and the shop problem and help the game. Dang, at this point I would be happy to pay the gold-membership just to get rid of those dang mini-events (even tough something like that can be considered blakmail :P ).

</now the bitching and complaining :P>

Edited by piojosnos

Most of the farmers made money by selling to players, not to NPCs. However, this does cause inflation, because the players are making finished goods with those items and sell them to the NPC.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, not intending to hijack the thread: would an alternative to the mini harv events be to reduce the price NPCs pay for the finished goods in question? That way, there'd be less incentive to make those goods (i.e. accept less/no profit or spend time selling to players), so less incentive to buy from the farmers.

I agree that the mini harv events will increase the "cost" for farmers to harvest, but perhaps reducing their profit by putting downward pressure on their possible sale price would be a viable alternative?

By the way, I've just got mail:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting EVE Customer Support Service.

Actually, it is possible to mine while doing something else, however, you still have to be aware that you need to be careful with the NPCs which can kill you when you are afk, or even players that like to attack defenceless ships, even if they have to suicide themselves to do that.

Apart from the risks you are taking by not watching the game, as long as you don't use any macro, it will be fine for us.

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

GM Lovakat

EVE Customer Support Service.

Of course it has it risks, but seems reasonable...

Edit: reasonable like invasions risk in EL...

Edit: about UO http://www.uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=...mp;p=9044#p9044

Sorry, I was writing my previous NPC price decay post at the same time you posted this. May be a decay price can be settle at the NPCs buying goods too? But I think decay there should be recovered a bit faster may be not months like harvestables but days? Don't know, but I still think it's a good idea :P

Edited by piojosnos

stuff

Based on what you posted on that UO shard (btw, that is an unofficial server), I think it is best to just leave us and play there. Please don't subject yourself to our sucky economy and dumb rules. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, not intending to hijack the thread: would an alternative to the mini harv events be to reduce the price NPCs pay for the finished goods in question? That way, there'd be less incentive to make those goods (i.e. accept less/no profit or spend time selling to players), so less incentive to buy from the farmers.

I agree that the mini harv events will increase the "cost" for farmers to harvest, but perhaps reducing their profit by putting downward pressure on their possible sale price would be a viable alternative?

I am sure someone has suggested this, but I am too lazy to read 17 pages of discussion.

I gather that farming large quantities and selling to NPC's is the problem....I cannot see selling to players who make finished goods being a problemb because it tends to be not cost effective to pay market prices for goods, and barter/selling is part of gameplay...I make matter conglomerates for gc, or make and sell steel bars. I have to if I am going to buy armor or CoL/MoL type items.

I think a simple solution would be to drop the price paid for harvestables at NPC proportionate to the harvesting level of the seller. Make it easy for a noobie to make money, but experienced players have no business harvesting and selling lilacs. I did it a lot until I got a clue...which was when I began to explore alchemy. If someone has 25 harvesting, NPC pays .01 gc. That would make it too much work for advanced players to bother with and people using alts would quickly advance to too high of level to be profitable. If you notice someone creating multiple alts from one IP in order to harvest, you slap them with illegal multiplay violation.

If that is done, it will encourage people to learn crafts, alchemy, etc...and the annoying events can be turned off. I harvested 1200 swamp candles and had 50 events...that is just annoying.

In my opinion this idea is no different than the tutorial healing until 17 a/d. I am no coder, but it does not sound like a difficult routine to code - check harvest level if >=25 pay .01gc for all harvestables. Noobies get GC and advanced players don't have to deal with the constant "you found 2 coins - You stopped harvesting."

Just my 2gc.

IngalfTass

I gather that farming large quantities and selling to NPC's is the problem....I cannot see selling to players who make finished goods being a problemb because it tends to be not cost effective to pay market prices for goods, and barter/selling is part of gameplay...I make matter conglomerates for gc, or make and sell steel bars. I have to if I am going to buy armor or CoL/MoL type items.

As I was saying, a good part of the gold comes from finished products being sold at the NPC.

In my opinion this idea is no different than the tutorial healing until 17 a/d. I am no coder, but it does not sound like a difficult routine to code - check harvest level if >=25 pay .01gc for all harvestables. Noobies get GC and advanced players don't have to deal with the constant "you found 2 coins - You stopped harvesting."

Your solution is wrong. Some skills do not require a harvesting level, so a player with a low harvesting level but other high skills can act as a middleman, take the resources from his high harvester friends, sell them at the NPC at the 'newbie' rate, split the money.

Well, as long as we fight outcomes not causes, we are doomed to failure. As long as trading gc's for $ is not illegal, all efforts to stop gold farming are inefficient. You can make getting gc's harder and harder and there will be still people selling, only the rate will be changing. The other outcome of such actions will be players base decrease (natural process of oldbies quitting and not enough newbies due to finding EL "too difficult" to play compared to other games). Entropy said he's not going to outlaw gc/$ trades so not that many options left tbh.

The only idea I can think of to make both the game easier for new players and in the same time not lose control over the amount gc's that enter the game is to make drops from creatures inverse level-dependant, that is the lower a/d you are, the more gc's you get from a drop. It works well in other games, but having in mind recent suggestions high a/d players make to increase the drops rather than decrease, it will hardly happen.

Talking about UO, a short story some might remember, quite instructive. Roughly after 3 years of running, UO has faced a problem similar to what EL faces now - keep veterans pleased or place emphasis on new players influx. Since UO was always p2p game the decision was simple - they have changed the game to make it easier for the new players. They have lost some veterans quitting but in the same time they have got so many new subscribers that the business started to flourish again.

Edited by Cruella

OK, so inflation is not good and you're working against inflation. According to the Wikipedia (which cites various resources for this)

Inflation is a rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time

Don't you think that limiting resource inflow will cause further inflation? Since the base ingredients are harder to obtain, their prices will probably rise, followed by the prices of all compound products. Or do you think that the prices will stay the same?

Don't you think that limiting resource inflow will cause further inflation? Since the base ingredients are harder to obtain, their prices will probably rise, followed by the prices of all compound products. Or do you think that the prices will stay the same?

That's a pretty complicated question. So far, the value of the non rare items has been constant for almost 5 years. Sure, the prices went up a little, like when we move resources around, but it is not significant.

In this case, however, the quantity of gold entering the game will decrease along with the resources, and the farmers will have to change their rate to levels like 5K/usd. Then the prices of the rostos will go down, because more people will buy them from the shop.

Well, as long as we fight outcomes not causes, we are doomed to failure. As long as trading gc's for $ is not illegal, all efforts to stop gold farming are inefficient. You can make getting gc's harder and harder and there will be still people selling, only the rate will be changing. The other outcome of such actions will be players base decrease (natural process of oldbies quitting and not enough newbies due to finding EL "too difficult" to play compared to other games). Entropy said he's not going to outlaw gc/$ trades so not that many options left tbh.

Well, since you are such an expert on games, maybe you can join Korrode and work together at his game. I can't wait until it is ready.

The only idea I can think of to make both the game easier for new players and in the same time not lose control over the amount gc's that enter the game is to make drops from creatures inverse level-dependant, that is the lower a/d you are, the more gc's you get from a drop. It works well in other games, but having in mind recent suggestions high a/d players make to increase the drops rather than decrease, it will hardly happen.

That's a really, really bad idea. It might work to some extent in p2p games, but I will let you figure it out why it is dumb to implement it in a f2p game.

Talking about UO, a short story some might remember, quite instructive. Roughly after 3 years of running, UO has faced a problem similar to what EL faces now - keep veterans pleased or place emphasis on new players influx. Since UO was always p2p game the decision was simple - they have changed the game to make it easier for the new players. They have lost some veterans quitting but in the same time they have got so many new subscribers that the business started to flourish again.

So far, I mostly focused on keeping the veterans happy. But after realizing how hard to please they are, I am seriously starting to focus on newbies. I am going to make a new server for newbies sometime this year, where the economy will play almost no role, sort of like most of the other games are. Also much more experience and drops, so the gold will never be a problem.

So, as I understand it, now there are 2 problems:

1. Too much stuff is sold to NPCs, which causes a lot of money to enter the game.

2. There are people who harvest stuff and then give it to other players, which, in return, give them real money ($$$) - AKA the gold farmers problem.

Here are my solutions:

The gold farmers problem:

Monitor all trades and drops the player do - write a code that checks if someone gives a large quantity of items (over 5K for example)/valuables items (over 50Kgc) to another player with no return, or if some just "drops" some items on the ground and some one else just "happens" to pick it up. In such case, just pause the transfer (remove the items from the game and store the transfer information), until you can review it. If you're sure it's a transfer of goods for real money, delete both characters. If you're not sure, ask both players - if you're satisfied, resume the transfer. If not, just don't return the items.

The income from NPCs problem:

A. Like I posted here before, I think all the skills should be balanced in such a way that for the same level, and the same amount of time, you can earn the same amount of money. This way everyone would be able to do whatever they want, and still get their fair cut. This would make sure no one is richer than anyone else, so money would mean less for everyone.

B. Add more items to the game that most players would want. The Harvester Medallion is a good example, but it difficult to make (too much time is needed to get all the ingredients, and the required skills levels are too high). I think you should add 2 types of items to the game:

1. Items everyone would want, but only players would be able to buy. Those items would be easy to make (it won't take too much time to make them, they won't require high level items, and they won't require high skills levels). Those items would probably have high breakage rates, but not high enough to make them useless (like the older versions of the Harvester Medallion).

A few examples: rings/medallions which would add 5-10 health/mana, a helm which would allow you to see better in the dark, a sword which would regenerate 1 extra health each minute, and so on. Those items won't change the "balance of powers" in the game significantly, but most people would want them.

2. Same thing - items everyone would want, but only NPCs would sell. Those items would probably cost a little more (but still affordable by most players). Those items would take money out of the game, again without significantly changing the balance of powers.

For example: an item that would give you an extra 20 EMU, a bag which would allow you to carry 5-10 items inside it, a staff which would give 10-15 more mana, and so on.

Both types of suggested items won't bring any new money to the game, only make sure people would trade items between themselves, or removing it from the game.

That's my idea.

Edited by smalul

That's a really, really bad idea. It might work to some extent in p2p games, but I will let you figure it out why it is dumb to implement it in a f2p game.

I'm just playing such game, it's f2p and works okay (that's the player's, not the owner's view). We'll see later when I advance to the high levels how it is long term, as for a relatively new player it is very attractive and refreshing experience. In my dumbness I cannot see why it is so bad, so please enlighten me. Instead of calling ppl "experts" :P the discussion would be more profitable for everyone if we knew why someone thinks something is bad. If you had in mind a bunch of low level alts making gc's for sale or for main chars, this is under control by allowing 3 chars per person as well as by levelling system.

BTW, every time you log in to this other game, there is a floating message saying that selling gc's and chars is illegal. They do have weekly banned characters lists where 90% are those banned were for gc and char sales attempts. They do run successful shop selling various stuff. The shop is not only web based but also accessible from the game, perhaps something worth looking into.

I know that comparing EL to other games is not well received here, as well that if we do not like it we can always go play elsewhere, but the fact we still spend our time here trying to discuss how to make EL better proves that we still care, which is I hope worth to be encouraged rather than discouraged :brooding:

First, thanks for answering my question above.

So far, I mostly focused on keeping the veterans happy. But after realizing how hard to please they are, I am seriously starting to focus on newbies. I am going to make a new server for newbies sometime this year, where the economy will play almost no role, sort of like most of the other games are. Also much more experience and drops, so the gold will never be a problem.

According to Richard Bartle in Designing Virtual Worlds, the so-called "newbie hose" (which depicts a constant inflow of new players) is vital to any MMORPG. EL has a very small newbie inflow - the player amount has not changed significantly for quite a while, the inflow is just strong enough to counter the leaving veterans (which are not too many, anyway, which is a good sign). While focusing on newbies is a good thing, I think it would be beneficial to this server if they would start to play here. Sooner or later they will turn into veterans too, it won't stay the newbie server forever :P

So you want to spread the little amount of players we have even more? :P

ive seen quite alot of new players in the time ive been paying EL , i hope the move to mentor newbies on IP becomes stronger as time goes on to

btw how many PKrs are mentoring?

Well, since you are such an expert on games, maybe you can join Korrode and work together at his game.

Good idea.

I just created a thread asking some economy related questions on our forums, come wow me Cru (and any other economy pros).

I think a simple solution would be to drop the price paid for harvestables at NPC proportionate to the harvesting level of the seller. Make it easy for a noobie to make money, but experienced players have no business harvesting and selling lilacs. I did it a lot until I got a clue...which was when I began to explore alchemy. If someone has 25 harvesting, NPC pays .01 gc. That would make it too much work for advanced players to bother with and people using alts would quickly advance to too high of level to be profitable.

I think this idea, coupled with some of the others that have been introduced recently, would serve the same purpose of the mini harvest events in a much less tedious way. This idea, depleatable harvestables, and payout caps on NPCs combined would make it much harder for gold farmers while still keeping legitimate players happy (or happier). Maybe add in an NPC that buys a higher level harvested item so that (non gold farming) higher level harvesters can still make some gc selling to npcs. Maybe something between titanium and dung. An npc who buys dung might not be bad either. :P

Your solution is wrong. Some skills do not require a harvesting level, so a player with a low harvesting level but other high skills can act as a middleman, take the resources from his high harvester friends, sell them at the NPC at the 'newbie' rate, split the money.

How many people will really go through all this just to get a half cut? And again if the ideas above were combined, this kind of action wouldn't be a problem either.

I'm by no means a marketing expert, but here is what I do know. I used to work as Sales Director and Director of Member Services for a health club. The reason I had 2 different titles is because I did 2 different and equally important jobs. As sales director my job was to bring in new members. As director of member services my job was to keep existing members happy. Our membership base never grew until I started to focus equally on both areas. Then it exploded.

Newbies will eventually become veterans that need to be kept happy too. Just retention of old players or just influx of new players means static numbers. Its hard work but it is important to keep as many players happy as you can, new and old. This isn't just my opinion, I sat through countless boring ass seminars that drilled that fact deep deep into my brain. And it is hard thankless work. Thats why I am now a fitness instructor instead. Much more fun, much less stress.

So you want to spread the little amount of players we have even more? :P

Why don't you read what I say before hitting the reply button??

If you had in mind a bunch of low level alts making gc's for sale or for main chars, this is under control by allowing 3 chars per person as well as by levelling system.

You know, if I were an IRl dictator, I'd make you the head of "IRL accounts checking", to make sure that if someone claims there are two different people on the same IP, they are actually two people, and not the same person. And then if you would fail to do your job properly, I would summarily execute you. But unfortunately I am not a dictator :P

BTW, every time you log in to this other game, there is a floating message saying that selling gc's and chars is illegal. They do have weekly banned characters lists where 90% are those banned were for gc and char sales attempts. They do run successful shop selling various stuff. The shop is not only web based but also accessible from the game, perhaps something worth looking into.

Well then, it seems that you finally found a game that you like, and I would expect that their economy is perfect, so just play it and don't bother about out sucky economy that is ruined by the gold farmers.

BTW, what game is that?

I know that comparing EL to other games is not well received here[...]

Really? Where did you come up with this funny idea? I think you are starting to troll here.