Eternal Lands Official Forums
Starlite

Mini Harv Events

Really? I mean I've always guessed that higher lvl fighting was more profitable then any mixing skill but that's insane! Not only is it way more XP then any other skill, But that much more gc too? And less time? I don't know about others but to make that much gc crafting/alching/harvesting would take me awhile unless I bought all my ing. from others and then my profit margin is very low, if any at all, so to truly make the same amount would take just as long if I bought from others as if I harvested myself. Which is why the mini events are so annoying to me. They may not add much time at first but over a long period of time they will add up. Projects go from days to weeks and then months.... I do large projects already 10k+ is generally how I think. Doing 10k rings of evtr or glacmor takes alot of harvesting when you make everything from the fe to the final ring.

Umm, that was the gross income, not the net. The net is probably 2/3 of that, depending on your luck, skill, tactics, free spawns, and so on. But obviously a fighter has to work MUCH harder than a harvester, and spend much more money than a harvester, so it seems reasonable for them to be able to get more money at higher levels, no?

though there is a difference inside the "high level" category : 120 a/d and less don't make so much money compared to 130 a/d's though there is only 10 levels difference, because a 120 can't go to yetis... so he will only get about the same money someone in 80's-100's would get even if he has 20-30 levels more...

i have an idea that could stop the gold farming. Make gc have an EMU in the area that you harvest. Not a high amount to where you have to go to storage if you find 13 gold, but the amount would be enough that the person would have to always make a trip to storage after selling the harvestables.

idk if you could do it, but i do know that you can make certain areas pk or non...

From what I read here, I understand Entropy thinks that fighting and harvesting should be the same - both should be a non-AFK activities. That seems fair.

I say take it a step further - make sure that for the same amount of time, both a player with harvest level X and a fighter with levels X in a/d, get the same exp and the same amount of profit. That way no one can complain - you spend X amount of time playing, you get Y amount of experience, no matter if you're harvesting or fighting.

I suggest you divide the harvestables in the game based on the required harvest level, and do the same for all the creatures based on the required attack and defense levels. Then calculate how much profit and exp you can make if you spend 1 hour doing each activity: For a certain harvestable, check the amount of money you can get by selling it (probably to a NPC). For a certain creature - see how much you get in gc drops and add the amount of money you can gain by selling the other drops. Balance things as needed - raise/lower the prices given by the NPCs or raise/lower the amount of drops.

Then repeat for the experience - raise/lower the experience given by harvesting or fighting as needed to make things balanced.

You may also want to limit players to do things up to their level. This can be done the same way it was done with the magic skill (if you don't have the level, you can't cast the spell at all), or by discouraging the players harvesting/fighting out of their range (lower exp, lower drops, more interferences).

@ Smalul

To do that you would also have to make harving have the same cost and risk as fighting

Ie: if you harv something above your level you take dmg per pick

hmmm "you harv one dung and get crit hit for 27 dmg and it breaks your col ".... :P

from mountain chims to yeti there is an increase in max 200gc, why not spread it out more evenly so that every fighter can farm something around their lvls?

like mountain chim 150gc max, forest chim 100gc max, Dc 75gc max, fluffs 50gc max?

That's not a bad idea.

I would like to see a soft curve as well, unlike now where you can only get good gc if you get 130 A/D, hard on main and impossible on the PK Server.

I suggest you divide the harvestables in the game based on the required harvest level, and do the same for all the creatures based on the required attack and defense levels. Then calculate how much profit and exp you can make if you spend 1 hour doing each activity: For a certain harvestable, check the amount of money you can get by selling it (probably to a NPC). For a certain creature - see how much you get in gc drops and add the amount of money you can gain by selling the other drops. Balance things as needed - raise/lower the prices given by the NPCs or raise/lower the amount of drops.

Then repeat for the experience - raise/lower the experience given by harvesting or fighting as needed to make things balanced.

Do you subtract the price of the items needed?

If you go nekid to harvest at your level you last longer than doing the same while fighting.

while only a excavator cloak and maybe a pickax can get you on your way to gather around 90%+ of the harvestables, fighter need a lot more items, armor and weapons, essences and potion...

@ Smalul

To do that you would also have to make harving have the same cost and risk as fighting

hmmm "you harv one dung and get crit hit for 27 dmg and it breaks your col ".... :P

:)

Edited by Segor

And are you saying that now, with the mini events, you can't even take your eyes off the screen for a second?

At the rate i was getting just the mini events the other day, not counting any regular events, I was stopped every 25-30 sec. If training on a monster with a CoL and just boxing not using a sword and depending on spawn times, clicking every 1.5-2 min? I can take my eyes off the screen for a second sure.

Umm, that was the gross income, not the net. The net is probably 2/3 of that, depending on your luck, skill, tactics, free spawns, and so on. But obviously a fighter has to work MUCH harder than a harvester, and spend much more money than a harvester, so it seems reasonable for them to be able to get more money at higher levels, no?

I realize that a fighter has to work harder then a harvester, That's fine, but because harvesting is so crucial to the mixing skills, more so then fighting, this change affects those that harvest and mix more. A fighter needs what to lvl? well depending on the lvl a few k HE and a ratio to that in SR's. Most of the time as you pointed out can fund it self through 2/3 of the profit going to supplies, HE, armor etc. But i would argue it is much harder to lvl crafting or manu then it is Fighting because of the massive amounts of materials/time needed. Which is fine i accept that, in fact that's why i choose crafting as a skill everyone said it was the hardest when i started so i set out to be the best. Was it ever "fun" to harvest no, i guess occasionally when the rare stone came my way. But now that has been lowered haven't had one in over 200k harvest, and now mini events happening so fast that i look back at my chat log and instead of seeing messages from friends all i see is a screen of orange pink and green. So posts like the one above tell me that EL is shifting to even more of a A/D based game. That's fine i'll adjust it's just that i kinda liked the slower paced talk to my guild while i harvest and mix life style, it built a nice community imo.

"dusts off aug leather, puts gemstone hammer in sto"

Sorry but what's all this talk about WORK?

EL is a game...a game isn't supposed to be work, but FUN imo :D

You can't really compare harvesting and fighting, never could and i doubt you ever will.

Harvesting was never fun, but a necessity you could do semi afk while doing other things, be it RL stuff or leading a guild or socializing or mderating the game or whatever.

Ever since the introduction of the old events you needed one eye on your character, because the random stops were frequent enough to prevent full afkness if you actually wanted to gather resources.

If you just sat there for the XP, you could go more AFk than that, but that left you little to no time to actually PLAY the game.

Fighting is no necessity, it is one of the main goals and FUN for most people...does it get boring after some 20k fluffies (and not 1 single NMT cape ffs :P ) - HELL YES! - but then you forget to restore for a couple minutes and find yourself at the edge of death or in UW and you get enough adrenalin to keep you going for another hour... :P

I never considered fighting work... :)

For harvesting i cannot say the same thing, it is boring by design, tedious and repetitive in a way that the word doesn't begin to describe. Autoharvest helped a lot in that regard, it became the skill for socializers.

I hope after reducing the amount of events it will be like that again, because right now it is worse than the single click harvest, at least we could use autoclickers then and only watch the screen to make sure no bear gets in the way...but that is a different story :P

@ Smalul

1. Radu said more than once that the CoL was never meant to help in harvesting.

2. It might be a good idea - if you don't have the experience to harvest something, you might get hurt, just like in fighting - if you don't have the a/d, you'll get hurt.

Do you subtract the price of the items needed?

If you go nekid to harvest at your level you last longer than doing the same while fighting.

while only a excavator cloak and maybe a pickax can get you on your way to gather around 90%+ of the harvestables, fighter need a lot more items, armor and weapons, essences and potion...

1. You can go harvest flowers naked, just as you can kill rabbits naked.

2. To fight something you don't need to read a book, to be able to harvest some metals and minerals you need books.

3. Some harvestables require alot of investment (hydro, wolfram, tin, copper, seridium, dvarium...), just as some creatures require you to bring HEs and SR potions.

4. When you buy an item to support your skill (cloaks and pickaxes, or armor and weapons), it shouldn't be counted in the total cost, as it is used more than once.

Edited by smalul

The real difference between fighting and harvesting is that with fighting you have something to do: Heal, use SRS, replace armor now and then, pick up bags, cast spells, etc etc. When harvesting all you can do is sit, wait, and click now and then. It's really boring in the end and gives as good as no exp.

If the harvest hour was removed I think it would be fair to keep the current event rates since you always need to pay attention.

And don't say "oh no then harvester would get a lot of exp". Fighters already get a lot of experience (in 2 skills actually) since top 100 fighters have higher a/d than number 1 harvester. And is there something wrong with someone who harvest all days to have a harvest level of 130 or something?

Edited by Cycloonx

@ Smalul

well i have an idea ..... what about:

A cavern wall collapsed on gilhad, and hit for 34 points. If there is no cavern wall nearby, can you imagine how unlucky this person was?!
While harvesting some dung, Mother Nature was nearby taking a dump. Unfortunately gilhad was in the way and got hit for 58 health.

or

Mother Nature decided to destroy gilhad's Harvester Medallion. Don't you love Mother Nature?

It would be really revolutionary and unheard before ... or maybe not?

Um... harv price goes up = item prices go up = noone wins who's actually playing.

Who wins from harv prices going up? The gold farming scumbags who are the real cause of this in the first place. (Don't fool yourself into thinking this has anything to do with afk harvers in general, they've been around for years, and this didn't suddenly become an issue until it was determined gold farmers were killing shop sales.)

Don't support the gold farmer scumbags who did this to you, don't fall for a price hike over this.

wouldnt need to support them by buying gc if the skill we practice (fighting) provides us with the gc we need. and with that i mean we should get exp+gc, right now fighters dont want to sacrifice one for the other so they buy gc to get both.

So fighters do not want sacrifice nor xp nor gc, so they should get more gc as solution? So i do not want sacrifice that too, mixers should get extra gc to be able mix the best their stats allow all the time, while buying ings (preferabelly at store) and having guaranteed profit from it. Why not, if fighters should get that too?

What about other solution - lets make monsters drops raw materials instead of gc - i mean Silver Ore, Coal, Red Roses+Red Snaps - in the same price range, as the gc was. This way each fighter could trade raw materials for good products and there would be no need for long AFK harving, as the customers can bring the ings to be mixed.

("Oh NO! Fighters should be forced to go to store carrying stuff like the poor harvesters? It is so degradating!" Why?)

there is a better solution, decrease the income of Gc by selling to NPC and increase Gc monsters drop.

the Gc that enters the game would be somewhat the same, but fighters will have more to spend then making Gc buying less needed, and the Gc fighters use end up either at Mixers or leave the game by NPCs so that mixers would still have the same income, they only need to interact with players more (which is what an MMORPG is about)

win-win situation imo, no mini events, fighters less Gc worries, way less inflation caused by goldfarmers and a happy playerbase

Yeti and up drops could stay the same though

Why put GCs into the way, win-win is fighters providing raw ings to mixers - that would place the goldfarmers out of bussiness and give more fun to mixers, as they would not be forced to harv long hours ings to some fighters can broke in minutes ...

@ Smalul

well i have an idea ..... what about:

A cavern wall collapsed on gilhad, and hit for 34 points. If there is no cavern wall nearby, can you imagine how unlucky this person was?!
While harvesting some dung, Mother Nature was nearby taking a dump. Unfortunately gilhad was in the way and got hit for 58 health.

or

Mother Nature decided to destroy gilhad's Harvester Medallion. Don't you love Mother Nature?

It would be really revolutionary and unheard before ... or maybe not?

lool you cant compare the small amount of dmg a harver gets at the moment to what a fighter does..

which is why if harvers want the same xp as fighter then the risks should be the same (they are not even in the same league atm).... not a random chance to take dmg but a guaranteed one (per pick based on harv level vs harvestable level, so in theory they could block dmg as a fighter does), XP from harvestable granted would have to be increased, but that would decrease by 1 per harv level like a fighter does when his a/d increases

note: not a serious suggestion btw, just to show harv and a/d xp cant be compared since its based on risk vs reward, very small if any risk for harvers which leads to low xp

Nice idea about dropping Ing btw.. but would need to drop ings needed by fighters.. so mums and silver ore plz (then I can make my own He's who needs an alcher , better yet save me time.. just have mobs drops he's , either way alcher still loses :P )

But (as you ask) why was the previous balance right for harvesting (and manufacturing)? Because of harvesting's place in the skills tree and the nature of the game which requires massive amounts of harvesting to support the skills build on it. I believe that justifies a higher level of automatic harvesting (afk) than would be permitted by (for example) manufacturing.

So because the harvesting is the 'engine' of the economy, don't you think that it is even more important to not have it totally AFK? And why should only the harvesters provide raw goods to the economy? Why not the fighters provide some raw goods as well, such as buying raw stuff from the NPC with their gold drops? The fighters do MUCH more work than the harvesters, and there is considerably more risk involved. They actually have to be there every second of it (except for PvPing), and they don't complain.

(for this reply i use train/training/leveling in very wide sense - it means to do anything, what gives some xp to discussed skill - not only the most xp/hour effective way - so even hunting rabbits on IP for high lvl fighter i consider (really non-effective, but still) training here - it increases the the skill, even if only terribly slow)

I see it other way: there are 2 skills you can do without training anything else AND/OR buying stuff for $$$ from goldminers:

Fighting - a fun, where you chase game and later monsters for exp+income, having to go to store only sometimes.

Harvesting - where you sit in boring place clicking the same pixel each time event happened, having spend a lot of time walking to store/shop and back.

All others need some source of income to be able to train them (so you can buy ings/items needed to practice the particular skill).

The incame can be:

- you harv the ings (so using other skill than you want to train)

- you harv something to sell for gc to be able to buy the ings/items (again)

- you fight to get gc to be able to buy the ings/items (again)

- you spend real world $$ for buying gc/items/ings to support your skill of choise

(correct me, if i missed some opportunity to start skill with small cash (like 100gc) from start and then rely only on such skill)

So if you do not want to buy gc for $$, you must harv or fight to train any skill. And there are people who do not like killing.

(and even if you fight then SOMEONE ELSE have to harv those inggs you need/want)

Harving is not exciting, but many do it anyway as it is way to be able do, what you play the game for (crafting, manuf, tailoring or other creative skill).

What I (and many others too) like about this game is socializing (chat on channels, blue spam in guild, forums, local chat ....). And the time in day you can spend for EL-related things is limited (24h max, less then 8 for many). So you have to choose, how you spend it

- you can train skill of your heart, if you have ings (and be concentrated on it, if it is not the non-event harv)

- you can fight for gc (and probabelly be again concentraded on it)

- you can socialize - talk on chat, read forum, reply it, ....

- you can harv for gc/ings

till now i was used to do the later two together - start harving and chat/read forum/... while looking, if it is again time to do to store (like each 2 minutes or so) so i was semi-afk harving, while actually playing EL in other way and collecting resources for my main skill (crafting, then manufacturing). Now i have to choose between that two and divide the time between.

Even when i do not like harvesting, i see it is good game element for slowing the rate of leveling in skill as you need to spend a lot of time collecting ings/items/gc for the skill. So the market is now drowned in items and geting craft lvl 50 is not matter of weekend. Harving is price i have to pay to be allowed to make nice things. But harving is not fun - it is kinda work, i have to do, to be able have fun. So i try make some fun even while harving. Clicking the same pixel is boring soon, chatting/forum is better. Now when those mini-events make it more difficult, i am not happy, as the game is getting boring.

It was told, that those mini-event are counter-measure against gold-farmers, who harv only to sell it for real $$. I am afraid, that harvesting for $$ should be considered "work" as well as "retyping orders to this application form" - something, what one do for money, not for fun. So it does not matter so much, if it is clicking the same pixel 1x or 10x in 2 minutes, if the result of that is in $$/hour the same. Also special items (medallions/cloaks/perks) to overcome it does not help to game too much, as it is one-time investment, which any "wage slave" will do to gain higher $$/hour rate. Much faster, than ordinal player, who has other means for ingame gc.

Maybe i am wrong on it, but i think it is good to say it anyway.

Actually, since going into heavy-harv mode for supplies today, I've noticed the huge amount of orange-pink-green spam on every stop/restart is a bit frustrating when trying to chat. Even missed a few PMs because of it. Chances are you'll stop harving within seconds of switching to console mode as well, making that difficult as well. Particularly noticeable when stocking fast low-level harvables like snaps, lupies, and BSFs.

Hopefully the afore-mentioned reduction will clear that up a bit. For the sake of community interaction, not the events themselves.

For me, this is unfortunately very negative;

I play to 90%, in my work time and can not keep every 5 minutes an eye on the game.

(Sorry for my English. I must translate with Google)

I play to 90%, in my work time and can not keep every 5 minutes an eye on the game.

And don't you think that Jesus was right when he said that you can't server two masters? :)

And don't you think that Jesus was right when he said that you can't server two masters? :)

LOL omg.. "teh god" used GOD against you.. PWND

(this really made me laugh)

Never heard anyone in this topic yet about another, well, for some ppl problem: recent changes to increase the difficulty of this game benefit high level players, because their skills will be harder to attain and therefore more valuable. E.g. It will be harder now for aspiring crafters to hit 60S, let alone the 110S some ppl have in craft.

Just like some ppl trained their characters AD-wise in the good "TS-potion" (or further back, the attri-cap less) days. Their levels are harder to get nowadays. Some ppl got insane drops from yeti's in the "insane yeti days". The top % of the ppl profit from negative changes because their levels (or wealth in case of yeti!) get harder to reach.

Maybe it is time for some changes to ease the life of low level characters?

training after TS is not a lot harder, it is a bit more expensive but im really hoping that if radu changes the gc drops for at least dcw (especially a big change for mcw) upwards and cyclops(not a lot maybe to 50-60gc max) then then it will be no harder and more fun to train now than when we had TS. i trained on cyclops when we did have TS and i had pretty good attributes and still made a loss training them that i had to make up by making my own hes, i would even think that less rare drops (books and ti longs) and more gc would be favourable to clops trainers.

training after TS is not a lot harder, it is a bit more expensive but im really hoping that if radu changes the gc drops for at least dcw (especially a big change for mcw) upwards and cyclops(not a lot maybe to 50-60gc max) then then it will be no harder and more fun to train now than when we had TS. i trained on cyclops when we did have TS and i had pretty good attributes and still made a loss training them that i had to make up by making my own hes, i would even think that less rare drops (books and ti longs) and more gc would be favourable to clops trainers.

This is way off topic. But... must... respond.....

Hell yes it is harder! My xp/hour (and xp/hour for all ppl around my level of 112 119 AD) went down from 350K/hour to 290K/hour without TS on feros. Still feros, fluffs yesterday were even worse, 255K/hour.

MCW rapes me so no option. DCW is similar xp to to Feros, just more dmg. 105 90 or 100 100 with def god is hardly difference.

Hell yes it is harder! My xp/hour (and xp/hour for all ppl around my level of 112 119 AD) went down from 350K/hour to 290K/hour without TS on feros. Still feros, fluffs yesterday were even worse, 255K/hour.

MCW rapes me so no option. DCW is similar xp to to Feros, just more dmg. 105 90 or 100 100 with def god is hardly difference.

and you're complaining about xp?!

and you're complaining about xp?!

I aint complaining about anything. Im stating recent negative changes benefit high level players. also, I was talking about mini events in my original post. ==>

Never heard anyone in this topic yet about another, well, for some ppl problem: recent changes to increase the difficulty of this game benefit high level players, because their skills will be harder to attain and therefore more valuable. E.g. It will be harder now for aspiring crafters to hit 60S, let alone the 110S some ppl have in craft.

Just like some ppl trained their characters AD-wise in the good "TS-potion" (or further back, the attri-cap less) days. Their levels are harder to get nowadays. Some ppl got insane drops from yeti's in the "insane yeti days". The top % of the ppl profit from negative changes because their levels (or wealth in case of yeti!) get harder to reach.

Maybe it is time for some changes to ease the life of low level characters?

you seem to have forgotten the very thing i would suggest for your levels which is FCW, it has 110/100 so is good with def god and should give you a bit more xp than feros. i dont know your oa but if its high 120s you should be fine.

and yes it is off topic but you're the one who brought up how its harder to level now, the recent changes were to encourage more people to train on FCW and MCW so there has to be a penalty to how you used to train to make you change.

you seem to have forgotten the very thing i would suggest for your levels which is FCW, it has 110/100 so is good with def god and should give you a bit more xp than feros. i dont know your oa but if its high 120s you should be fine.

and yes it is off topic but you're the one who brought up how its harder to level now, the recent changes were to encourage more people to train on FCW and MCW so there has to be a penalty to how you used to train to make you change.

The point is that ppl who already got those levels got them cheaper (training feros with TS) than ppl nowadays training (whatever they do nowadays, even FCW as you suggest, which is probably way more expensive than TS feros) get them.

Back to the harvesting mini events: players with already high artisian skills got them cheaper then future people will get them. THAT is my point: all these negative changes (newest one being mini harvesting events) favour high level players.

Edited by machevort

The point is that ppl who already got those levels got them cheaper (training feros with TS) than ppl nowadays training (whatever they do nowadays, even FCW as you suggest, which is probably way more expensive than TS feros) get them.

Back to the harvesting mini events: players with already high artisian skills got them cheaper then future people will get them. THAT is my point: all these negative changes (newest one being mini harvesting events) favour high level players.

My grandparents used to travel to Spain in the summer and it would cost them 100 guilders for 2 weeks. My first pack of cigarettes was 3,75 guilders, right now the same will cost me around 5 euro.

The first beer I bought in a pub was 1,75 guilders, nowadays, you're lucky if you pay 2.50 euro.

That's what time and development does to the value of your currency, both in RL as in a game.