Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aislar

Would you like to have more quests available in game?

Quests!  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Would you enjoy having more quests available in game?

• Yes, quests are great!
    • No way, quests are not fun
    • I couldn't care less
  2. 2. Do you feel quests help give you more of a point in game, something "real" to achieve?

• Yes, its fun to do things besides grinding, etc
    • No, not really, just extra work
    • Seriously, I couldn't care less!

Hey guys!

I feel that quests help give players something else to do ingame, besides the regular grind of most mmo's. I'd LOVE to have more quests available in game...what do you think?

Also feel free to state what you feel the rewards of doing these quests should be!

Enjoy!

Aislar

oo i actually really like that idea!

the awards page so far seems to be kickass, and it'd be fun to have more "award specialties" there :icon13:

i also feel that the quests shouldn't be just giving items to npcs, like god quests, they should/could be more like the wine or leather quest, tankel quest, etc :) imo <3

No answer.

Most everything new these days is higher-player oriented, or at the least stuff that newer players would never afford.

Considering the drive to get newbies to stay in-game, the only quests I think should be focused on right now are newbie quests, of the tutorial nature. That is, quests that get players started on various skills such as making fire essies, first heal spell, and such. Basically turn some of the Ctrl-H -> Skills tab stuff into quests.

No more stuff for advanced players, so time can be focused on things that might help in making new players stay around longer. To go along with things like adopt-a-newbie, I mean. Some quests that do things like hand-hold new players while they buy their first gloves, harv flowers and sulfur and make their first FE so they get the hang of making things and doing different skills.

Quests for the we've-been-here-a-while crowd, not so important. Maybe later, nothing against them. Just don't seem so important in comparison.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

i never really did quests tbh, found levelling so much more fun than doing quests imo, so i voted no

No option in the poll really reflects my answer, so i haven't voted, i'll just post:

I personally dont enjoy quests, but if others do, then cool; add more...

...but, the outcome of these quests, the reward for them, should not offer something that isn't obtainable through non-quest play style.

Gotta make sure to not alienate the players (like myself) that dont enjoy questing.

So i guess i'd vote "i dont care", so long as the added quests wont be something i feel i have to do to remain on par with others.

Do you really have to ask? :icon13: Of course I want quests, I want a solid storyline in EL, a progressing tale in which all players can contribute and shape the world of Draia.

Why should not this be aimed at all players - therw could be several questlines:

Becoming a alchemist quest line:

1. Bring me 100 fire essence

2. Bring me 100 matter essance

3 Bring me 100 health essence.

4 Bring me 100 water essence

5 Bring me 100 magic essence

6 Bring me 100 death essence.

7 25 iron bars

8 20 steel bars

9 20 silver bars

10 20 titanium bars

11 3 tin bars

13 1 hydrogenium bar

Becomming a fighter quest line:

1. Bring me 20 fox furs

2. Bring me 50 deer antlers

3. Bring me 50 wolf furs

4 bring me 50 skunk furs

5. Bring me 100 leopard furs

6 Bring me 50 Feran horns

7 Bring me 25 black panther furs

8 bring me 10 polar bear furs

9 Bring me 10 tiger furs

10 Bring me 3 leopard furs

11 bring me red dragon scale

12 bring me black dragon scale

13 Bring me a white dragon scale

Similar Becoming a manufacturer, crafter, potter tailor...

There could also be a random quests

1. Minor quest

2. Medium quest

3 Large quest

4 Great quest

5 Impossible quest.

Those could just be quests form the different becomming a threads that is rehashed or new random quests to get x items of y type.

Ill answer this while i wait for a yahoo answer for my stupid mymathlab question ;p

I vote yes (well haven't yet but will after i post ;p) I enjoy some questing and think some should be added, but should be kept minimal becuase to many would alter game play in a way I wouldn't enjoy. Maybe even have a fun quest added for a month every few monthes (might be hard for radu etc) so my other idea would be player run contest quests. Similar to some of the contests but in more depth. Obvouslly players cannot award exp to other players but they would be fun for those who enjoy quests and the person who starts it could offer up some rewards. Another idea would be a thread on forums for players who like to quest, they set up quests for each other and for others and their could be a pot of donating goods used for rewards. This would work nicelly if a group of people who really like quests were committed to putting on fun "quests" for others and people who enjoyed doing them could each put in a little for rewards if they wanted to.

Another thing I would LOVE would be cheap gem sandpaper quest, like the ones for leather and wine. Since there is no such yet for crafting and they are not manufaturable and can be faily expensive if you enjoy crafting.

Just a few ideas

2cute2

...but, the outcome of these quests, the reward for them, should not offer something that isn't obtainable through non-quest play style.

Isnt that the way of life?

Everyday somewhere someone does something that some one else doesnt like doing. And they usually get paid for doing it.

In el Its always been the same. Some players dont like fighting, thus some of those cool unique items that only monsters drop are not initially available to them.

Some people like mixing and there are a few things you have to make rather than get from drops/npc's.

I dont see why doing/not doing quests should be any different.

Some players prefer doing quests and they should get some sort of reward even if that reward is only available from quests.

However saying that i find quests tedious and boring "run over here, run back, go over there, come back, dash to this place etc etc etc" lots of boot leather spent so I only do them so i know how they work ^^

If i remember quest writers asked players for help on some quests (quiete a long time back) and nothing came of it. Not sure what happened there but id guess there wasnt a very large responce. which probably just shows the general views on quests.

Wasn't there an info at forum long ago that a lot of quests are ready but not in game because noone wants to code them?

edit @silvatica, the type of quest you are suggesting are the most borrrring type ever, I went through a lot of such 'bring me' quests in some other game.. made me quit playing

Edited by LadyReni

If only people did at least some SEARCHING before posting. We would have less polls like this one. I think I ask for too much :'(

Edited by Natsume

i've done searching, thank you natsume.

i more made this poll because radu seemed to think that there was no interest for quests, and in my talks with people, i had seen different.

thanks for your OH SO constructive input, tho :icon13:

More quests would be pro but all most would be "go to point A...kill these ten things...then come back"

Not sure how you make more interesting quests, needs some good thinkers/writers. :icon13:

Edited by Talixim

Wasn't there an info at forum long ago that a lot of quests are ready but not in game because noone wants to code them?

edit @silvatica, the type of quest you are suggesting are the most borrrring type ever, I went through a lot of such 'bring me' quests in some other game.. made me quit playing

At least SOMEONE pays attention :icon13:

More quests have been in the pipeline (or have been claimed that they were in the pipeline) for so damn long.

Same goes for general NPCs and stuff. The only new quests available are god quests.

The suggestion to have more quests have been suggested before that could just mean there's more demand for it.

Personally I want to see more quests

Given the options in the poll, the outcome doesn't surprise me at all :P 80+% for more quests ingame.

I don't care for "rewards".. it would be nice if there is some reward ... but imo rewards for every quests are not necessary ... just to complete something is nice.

If only a coder with lotsa free time and who want to put in the effort would jump in to code them :P

Jerome_NL

I think more quest getting coded "should" be more important than things like horse whistles, spell-over-head, random bag placement, etc :P

More quest would be great for newer players to explore even more and hopefully keep them busier longer so they stick around and see more of what EL is about.

Also quest should force players to learn more about skills! IE: Code it so that things needed for quest(that can be made) can not be just simply purchased but have to be made by the person doing the quest thus making them take more time/strategy/teamwork to complete. (Yes I would like to see quest that require more than 1 person to complete seeing as EL is all about working together)

Just a few thoughts,

PaulB

I like doing quests and of course wish there were more. I'm pretty much restricted to god quests now and it will be a long time before I have the gc or skill level to buy/make the next "gift to the god." Maybe additional quests could be restricted to specific OA or skill level, this way one could work their way up to the next quest. This would also give folks defined goals as they explore all EL has to offer. Sometimes I like to just wonder around and would enjoy that more if it was productive with respect to getting something ingame (xp, gc or some item.)

I have no problem with folks getting some advantage by completing a quest (a discount on sand paper would be nice.) I am trying to level in all skills and miss out on the great swag dropped by high level mobs - that's my choice, I'm not complaining. If someone chooses to not do a quest, so be it, they don't get the great swag from completing it.

This is a bit off-topic, but as far as radu getting real money....how about charging real money for some quests? Paying real money for ingame things is a little weird to me, but I'm changing my mind on this matter. As it is, I don't want some nifty sword, so I don't buy from the shop. However, I would buy "the opportunity to complete some quest" or some item needed to complete it. Granted, I would need to have some idea of what the payoff would be before deciding to purchase it.

I think quests could be added in-game if a system was built to allow

player quest (Module type) submissions. The base system is made once

and all new quests can be designed by non-programmers, with good story

telling skills and a understanding of the games lore.

Since quest creation has been discounted due to time, this method would

allow the boring aspect to be put into the hands of the enthusiastic player base.

(granted, the system would be server side, but perhaps if the server devs

posted a required criteria for its creation, another dev could get it 99% complete

without access to the server code)

As I've posted in other threads... WE DON'T NEED QUESTS WRITTEN. We need them programmed. There are enough to give a programmer some work to do, and more can easily be written by approved writers.

i say yes but they should be like comparable in xp to grinding. it seems

like the trend in these mmorpgs is make the quests totally not worth it.

figuring out puzzles and junk is fun... but also get stuff to make the effort

worth it and not just pointless walking around or bring me five rat tails.

Edited by HereticEast

figuring out puzzles and junk is fun... but also get stuff to make the effort

worth it and not just pointless walking around

Still havent found Fortan, have you? :P

As I've posted in other threads... WE DON'T NEED QUESTS WRITTEN. We need them programmed.

Am I correct that the issue here is that quest programming is server-side? So while we have a number of client programmers, we only have two (entropy, learner?) or so server programmers.

Perhaps some effort should be made to identify some trustworthy programmers and increase the number able to work on the server code. Then perhaps there would be some bandwidth available for programming some of the already written quests.