Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Adopt a newbie program started

I've been having a frustrating time with this. For one, I'm trying to help with the bot, but not getting responses.... Secondly, I'm finding that this is adding extra pressure to the newbie, giving the opposite effect as desired.

I've talked to some other people trying to do this and am finding similar results.

Any suggestions? Any status on the 'formality' of this?

I'm not ready to let this die, but as it's going, it's taking a nose dive, imo...

Please provide any feedback you think could help.

Thanks,

DogBreath

I can only suggest taking it easy.

I was following a discussion regarding this issue in channel 6 one day. The impression I got is some people treat it too much like one more means to show off the length of their penes. (C'mon, making your newbie harvest cotton to level up their crafting?)

I have some experience with guiding new people into the Eternal Lands reality and I find much more important to support them in their own exploration than making the run from one labour to another. We're not trying to teach them how to grind, they will find their own ways soon enough. What we try to accomplish is to make them get to know with the game.

Saying it, I think that overall level should not be a used as a grade in the final 'exam'. I'd look more into general game knowledge or skills levels (e.g. 2 skills at level abovoe 25).

~Natsume

Edited by Natsume

I was following a discussion regarding this issue in channel 6 one day. The impression I got is some people treat it too much like one more means to show off the length of their penes. (C'mon, making your newbie harvest cotton to level up their crafting?)

I have some experience with guiding new people into the Eternal Lands reality and I find much more important to support them in their own exploration than making the run from one labour to another. We're not trying to teach them how to grind, they will find their own ways soon enough. What we try to accomplish is to make them get to know with the game.

Saying it, I think that overall level should not be a used as a grade in the final 'exam'. I'd look more into general game knowledge or skills levels (e.g. 2 skills at level abovoe 25).

~Natsume

My guild considers someone with 3 skills at 20 a "novice". It considers 2 skills at 15 and 1 skill at 20 a semi-newbie. I might be better if this was to help them become a "novice" as my guild would consider them.

~Natsume

Well, I informed my 'charge' that I don't think he has to feel pressured to reach level 50, and told him that I would only help him if he wanted (and how he wanted the help.)

I must admit that I take exception to your penis remark, as I'm trying to help out here, although I'm sure your basing it on your feedback.

I haven't 'made' the newbie do anything. I've asked them what they wanted, and tried to aid them in that. However, the thought of them 'needing' (even though I've told him I don't want any prize...) to get to level 50 isn't my goal. My goal is helping them, no matter any prize (which I'd galdly donate to them...)

I still think they feel pressured to reach some goal that may seem 'out of this world' to them... and the fact that this is so informal may lead them to believe that someone is trying to scam them.

Ty for you input.

~Natsume

My guild considers someone with 3 skills at 20 a "novice". It considers 2 skills at 15 and 1 skill at 20 a semi-newbie. I might be better if this was to help them become a "novice" as my guild would consider them.

Perhaps you're right, maybe the idea of level '50' is too daunting. I think this could be part of the problem.

The idea is not to add pressure on them. The reason for OA 50 is so that they actually stay in the game long enough to reach it.

The idea is not to add pressure on them. The reason for OA 50 is so that they actually stay in the game long enough to reach it.

Yes, I agree. I'm guess just not sure how to approach it. I'm trying, but failing, and hoping for suggestions how to approach it correctly.

For example: hi "newbie" is there any way I can help you? (my opening)

If they reply, I say to them "how might I best assist you?" and here's where it gets 'fuzzy'...

They might be advanced, they might be a total newb, and based on their answer I try to adjust my approach. But, at some point you want to tell them, "hey, I'm trying to promote the "adopt a newbie program" "I want you to stay, and improve, the goal is level 50."

At this point, it gets really fuzzy, to me. I'm not sure if they feel pressure, or feel inspired. Or worse, feel like I'm trying to scam them in some way.

And, because there's nothing 'official' that they can verify me with, a 'scrappy' newbie would be very suspicious.

MY newbie is 'very independant' at this point, I've provided him with some minor gcs, armor, hints on healing, etc... but now he doesn't want 'help.'

So, did I do right, or... what?

Hmm, well I tried several times to talk to newbies on IP, and they ignored me :'(

Anyway, thats not the point :P. At this point I have been able to adopt Mathios, as he posted here he was looking for a mentor :D

As of yet, I've done nothing but give him some items and gc to help him out, and advice whenever the opportunity arrises or he inquires about something. I've done nothing to say "Oh, work on getting to level 50" or "this is the best way to get exp so you can get level 50" or anything to do with level 50 at all! I believe the point is encourage them and help them where they want/need it, not teach them to level grind, or force them to do anything.

The question is whether we can all manage this, and remember we're trying to help the newbie, not ourselves :D

I suppose my only concern for the continuation of this idea is that all the players who mentor (I'm not pointing fingers, or even saying anyone has done something wrong, I don't know) keep their focus on helping the newbie in a kind manner, and not just trying to help themselves.

Currently, I'm considering approaching another newbie, as I've had a lot of fun so far, and Mathios hasn't been a burden in any vague form (thanks :P). My plan of attack, so to speak, is to simply talk to them, offer to help, get to know them, help them, then suggest the potential for the adopt a newbie program, and that there's no pressure, and I won't pressure them.

Frankly, when looking for a newbie, I had completely forgotten the level 50 goal. To me, that doesn't matter. If I start helping them and advising them... I'm never really going to stop. Not going to say "sorry, you're level 50, I'll be ignoring you now".

Personally, I think this is the best way to go about things. The problem is whether or not we can all manage that :)

We should all be in this just for the sake of helping the newbies, encouraging them to stay, and helping the game.

-edit-

To put it another way. The idea and program is flawless, we as the players are the potential problem :)

Edited by Enly

But, at some point you want to tell them, "hey, I'm trying to promote the "adopt a newbie program" "I want you to stay, and improve, the goal is level 50."

At this point, it gets really fuzzy, to me. I'm not sure if they feel pressure, or feel inspired. Or worse, feel like I'm trying to scam them in some way.

Don't tell them that right away, duh! First help them a little and stuff, then after a day or two tell them.

But, at some point you want to tell them, "hey, I'm trying to promote the "adopt a newbie program" "I want you to stay, and improve, the goal is level 50."

Don't tell them that right away, duh! First help them a little and stuff, then after a day or two tell them.

Duh isn't really necessary is it? :P I'm trying here... And of course, I didn't tell them right away, I said "at some point"...

I'm just asking for tips, insults aren't necessary :)

And, how do I know when it's the right time to tell them?

Edited by DogBreath

Would there be a way to implement floating text boxes with arrows pointing to each button to help guide? The box could give the name and tell what it does. And once the person clicks through the "button tutorial" then maybe they can be picked up by a newbie helper.

Duh isn't really necessary is it? :P I'm trying here... And of course, I didn't tell them right away, I said "at some point"...

WTF does this mean? You ban people for answers like these... I'm trying to help out here...

I've offered to help with the bot, and I'm making a serious effort to help this program, please don't this way...

Edited by DogBreath

WTF does this mean? You ban people for answers like these... I'm trying to help out here...

It means: I want some of the stuff you are smoking. Anyway, let's not get offtopic here, k?

It means: I want some of the stuff you are smoking. Anyway, let's not get offtopic here, k?

Yes, you're right, back to the topic. All I really want is help in doing this right. Ty for your reply.

perhaps giving them the link to the adopt a newbie forum topic would be a good idea ? idk .....

plus if they get the forums link they can vote in polls and really fk things up for the better :) joke :P

but really, if it doesnt sound very official to them about the Mentoring programme then get them to open the link to the Official EL forums Adopt a Newbie thread .....

plus they will find the forums theres some cool stuff on here , I didnt know about forums for ages when I first started, and I almost feel like ive missed out on part of my life that could have been so special if only id have made it here earlier :P

I'm a n44b,but I know what it takes to get somewhere in this game too. Since being un-banned, I have placed an advertisment on my Bot,(Meike on channel #4) and was swamped within days... I had to remove the Ad and stop recruitment. 10 new players. 3 that I suspect are "someones Alt", and 2 are part-timers who I am not sure if they will return to the game or not. The other 5 are hooked. Not bad odds. With respect,time and patience, I advise them first and formost, to look at their own lives, see what makes them happy irl and then have them apply that towards what they want to do in Eternal Lands. It has worked every time,and I will tell you why. It's because I take the time to ask what THEY want to do first. *Then, I explain what it will take to do it.* Harvest with your neubie, and PM with them, and they will ask the questions...oh-yeah...but without honest answers being fully explained, the Pr0's and the Conz of Pick-Point placement, the constant reminders that: "it's all in the Encyclopedia", and the ever needed"atta-boy/gurl" :P ...you will find that it's really easy to set the hook, but it's not so easy to get 'em in the net.

Wanna' get 'em in the net ? Heres how: ^ read above again^

Yep, it's gotta' be done over and over,again and again...but heres the best part ; Of the 5 who really stand out, of those 5 who are true full-time players who have stayed in Poundin'You(#nU)Guild, they-too constantly give honest advice,help and support, not only to and with each other, but to all new players that they happen upon.

The Apples have not fallen far from my tree,and I am now enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Good players,help bring in more good players,and the cycle continues. It's a Perfect Circle.

As time goes on, I will again have Meike recruit on channel #4 .

Until then, should anyone need help, if needed, PM me in-game with the Character name, and give brief explaination of what kind of help they need, and I will be most glad to do whatever I can to help them.

Tokie

of #nU Guild

Are we looking for day 1 new players? Or do players that have been playing for say 2 months but are still very low lvl? I usually try to get them in guild then train them up i have a few very small lvls in guild atm. Id like to take on a few more.

Are we looking for day 1 new players? Or do players that have been playing for say 2 months but are still very low lvl? I usually try to get them in guild then train them up i have a few very small lvls in guild atm. Id like to take on a few more.

New players who don't know the first thing about even getting started in EL. The idea is to help them get started and keep them long enough (hence the 50 o/a goal) long enough to want to stay. I would guess somebody who's been here 2 months already wants to stay, regardless of his levels. Not everybody is a power leveler, also maybe that character is an alt. If somebody is in a guild already, that disqualifies them, as they know at least the basics and probably have received help. Well should have help if the guild is decent :)

Hey! i recently started playing last night and really enjoy this game! if anyone is willing to help me that would be great! i hope to succeed in this game!!!! msg me ingame! :)

-Jennie!<3

I'm a little confused by which your ingame name is. I went looking for you once or twice so far and couldn't find hellzinchick or Jennie. Also, it might be helpful to indicate what your normal playing time is, so someone with similar hours could try to meet up with you.