Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Adopt a newbie program

I am not sure if you realize, but a lot of new players come in the game every day, and most of them leave the same day or the next few days. The reasons are multiple, and with our limited resources (time) there is only so much we can do about it.

The main reason why players leave is because the game is pretty complex, the learning curve is too high for some people. If someone would help the newbies, show them around, tell them what to do, teach them about the game basics and such, I am sure more would stay in the game, which is good for everyone.

To address this problem, I am proposing the following system:

1. Players who want to enroll in the "Adopt a newbie program" spend some time in IP, and watch for newbies.

2. They approach the newbies and ask them if they need assistence. Maybe even give them some cheap stuff, like leather armor, iron swords, and so on.

3. If the previous answer from the newbie is yes, then they ask the newbie if they want to have them as a mentor or something.

4. If the newbie accepts, they both PM a bot* so there will be a record about this.

5. Once the newbie reaches O/A 50 (but not only from harvest), but not sooner than 2 weeks, the newbie PMs the bot that he is ready.

6. Every week there will be a prize given, randomly, to some of those players, and their newbies.

7. The prizes would ideally come from the players, but I can provide a few good stuff every week or so.

*Someone has to program and host that bot. The bot would be free, of course.

There will be some rules here too. For example, under no circumstance you are allowed to train a non newbie person (such as an alt). No training newbies from the same IP, or from the IP of an already existing player. If they are familly members, help them for free, FFS!

If someone makes an alt to abuse this newbie system (waste the time of a 'mentor'), they and their main chars will be banned for a month.

That's about it, I am waiting for suggestions and offers for programming and hosting that bot. And please indicate if you are willing to provide prizes for those people.

I don't know anything about programming or hosting, but I am willing to provide prizes and take on a trainee, and anything else that I can help with.

Shea

I think this is a very good idea.

I have just moved over to the pk server. but am willing to use my main server char for this service (i cant c a prob doing both at same time as the pk char is just starting out and mainly harvesting atm if u think this is a prob plz say so).

There will be some rules here too. For example, under no circumstance you are allowed to train a non newbie person (such as an alt). No training newbies from the same IP, or from the IP of an already existing player. If they are familly members, help them for free, FFS!

I do have some worries about this how would we know that the person just loged on is an ALT (i know you would help in identifing ppl like this and i know there would be ways for us to know IE there behaveour the way they do stuff and so on this will some times give them away) will there be some system in place that if we thougth this was an ALT that we could relie on to do some checking.

and as far say helping with new stuff this would not b a problem.

I will volunteer programming the bot, may ask several people for translations into their native language.

Hosting the bot is also provided by me.

Good idea, and I'm always happy to help newbies and provide prizes if I can afford it.

However, taking on a newbie can be *very* stressful over a long period, if they're not the polite type :P

I'm all for this idea, though, and think it could be helpful to new players. Just any people that plan to take on helping a new player should certainly be aware that there are quite a few who are stressful to deal with. You give them a leather helm, they ask for a CoL :P

But... that's irrelevant, I support this idea and would like to help by assisting new players (as I already try to) and providing prizes if I can afford it.

I have noticed very few newer players sticking around - I'm all for this plan. An injection of fresh blood into any game or situation cannot be a bad thing. Count me in.

:P

I have noticed very few newer players sticking around - I'm all for this plan. An injection of fresh blood into any game or situation cannot be a bad thing. Count me in.

:P

If they stick around, they might just buy st00f from the EL shop. :P

Too bad this idea didn't show up back when I played EL every day.

I would have been all over it.

I can donate some prizes and occasionally play mentor. (even though it's more fun to play minotaur)

I will adopt at least 7

You better get vaccinated because newbs carry the dreaded cooties virus. :ph34r:

I'd be willing to mentor altho I'm still considered a newb myself (after 1 and 1/2 yrs).

I'd like to make another suggestion to go with the adopt a newb program (for which I am probably going to get flamed)... start enforcing rules #2 and 3. I've gotten a few ppl to try EL and each and every one quit within a week because of being abused in channels 1 and 4 and in local for being "stupid noobs". People who have been playing this game for a long time or have a high a/d seem to think this game is just for them and are frequently nasty to newer players. Newbies are going to ask questions and they are going to break game protocol/etiquette...so instead of allowing the rampant flaming why not insist ppl just try to be courteous and polite human beings for a change?

I'm up for adopting a newbie or two!

If I can help besides that, just let me know. I can give something prize-like if needed also =)

*EDIT: Correctomundo!

<3

Tvinn

Edited by Tvinn

I have been doing this mentoring for some time (on teh quiet) so will be happy to do it officially and have a few prizes lined up already. I can also speak on behalf of my guild that we can help with more prizes in the future (gonna have fun telling them this wooohooo!).

I remember doing this back in the day. I'd meet a newbie, give them a tour of White Stone, teach them how to map walk, give them some basic armor, and pay the 1100 gc to get them the increase and health sigils. Would take an hour out of my time, and most of them usually stuck ingame too.

I can do this too np, it wouldn't be the first time to do it :P Some of my padawans became ebul trainers like dragonsyoung (who I healed on IP and gave free stuff when he started to play and like 2 months later he was in top 10 a/d :P )

to help with it the tutorial npc could have some quests added? like "bring me 50 fire essence, to make them you need 1 sulfur, 1 red rose and 1 red snapdragon"

so far they know how to explore, fight and harvest, a tutorial for mixing would help them abit on the way

Edited by Sqwurl

I have been doing this for a long, long time as well as many others.

Sat on IP and ' scouted' newcomers who looked lost and, after a tal, were willing to take effort in learning about this World.

Mind tho, not ALL are willing to ' work' for a living and leave when the going gets a little too tough!!

Another problem I have encountered is the language problem, perhaps thats worth thinking about as well, when implenting this new idea.

We even have a guildprogram where members of my guild get asighned to a newcomer to help and guide him/her.

I can say with pride alot of now Pro-players, once started in our program (we didnt immidiately gave them our names, we only guided them and gave them ' basic training' ) After that, they could decide to join our guild or ' leave the nest'

With that experience, I welcome this new plan with full enthusiasm!

JezeBelle

Mistress of W&W

Is it allowed that my alt will be the mentor on ip so i can still play with the main character?

If so, i'm all for it :-) think its great

Why dont you make the program run on the tutorial NPC?

And when the first tutorials are done its explains the system and tells the newbie he should talk to the higher lvled players on IP to search for a mentor.

Or let the NPC give a list of registered 'mentor' maybe even divided into language rosters and/or skill rosters so the newby can for example decide to search a dutch mentor in the skill of alchemy. And then a list of names is given to him so the newby that want to learn will spam the mentor's instead of the mentors searching for a willing newb.

Potential mentors can register or remove themself from the list as wanted.

I think there should also be a rule that you can have no more then lets say 2 students at the same time. So the newbs will be helped more effectively.

Edited by nightraver

It might be nice to have two bots for this, in case one of them is abscent for some reason. I'm willing to provide that second bot. I can touch base with Greypal (and you) and see if we can collaborate on the code if you think this is a good idea to have two.

My friends and I already do this type of mentoring and I'm sure will continue with this program, I'll pass the word on to them.

A very grooovy idea, you can count me in too, whatever is needed.

I am not keen on people using alts for this while playing on their main characters.

The purpose is to devote time and attention to the newbies.

If you are not interested enough to do this on your time with your main, I suggest not doing it.

this is a great idea.

as long as the time my main actually has to be busy is only like an hour, and after that its acceptable to provide guidance through pms i would be happy to do this.

Nice idea. I'm willing to do this as soon as the NPC is there (well, in any case not before I come back from Easter vacation :P )

Rehdon

To be honest, the only way I see this working out, is to have a certain group of dedicated people, yes we can always help new players, but is this not open to abuse? how can I tell newguy02 (who is brand new to el) to newalt01 that has a beef against me, and wants to waste my time? or use me for some advantages?