Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Should selling gc for $ be banned

Should selling gc for $ be banned?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Should players be allowed to sell gc for $?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you voted no, do you think any exceptions should be made?

• Voted Yes
    • No (but voted no above)
    • gc to EL shop transfers (giving gc to someone to pay for p2p, etc)
    • other - specify in your post

Some of my gc comes from bots buying/selling player made items, most of the gc comes from Shop items I buy and sell through my bots, so Ent has directly profitted from my sales as well. I've also refused to participate in the inflation causing practices that gold farmers use, which is one reason I have such a bad $->gc exchange rate. On the other hand, there isn't a risk of getting scammed and I'm proud to have help support EL by buying Shop items.

Yes, players can buy items from the Shop directly and sell them to get more gc per $ ... I've even suggested that to people that only want a small amount of gc. But, what I offer is convenience and not having to find buyers themselves.

All that being said, if it takes banning gc sales in order to help support EL and prevent the problems from gold farmers, I will support it, stop all gc sales, and help Ent in tracking down and punishing people doing that.

Yes, players can buy items from the Shop directly and sell them to get more gc per $ ... I've even suggested that to people that only want a small amount of gc. But, what I offer is convenience and not having to find buyers themselves.

All that being said, if it takes banning gc sales in order to help support EL and prevent the problems from gold farmers, I will support it, stop all gc sales, and help Ent in tracking down and punishing people doing that.

good man ! glad to see someone with some standing say something along these lines

some people have suggested that in ''other'' MMO's its impossible to catch all the GC farmers, the games ive seen mentioned are WOW and PruneScape , well I dont know about PruneScape but WOW has a player base of millions of people you cant possibly compare the technicalitys of finding GC sellers in the two games. Youd have to search through millions of players to find someone doing it on WOW , but youd have to search through maybe what ? 800 players on a really busy day to find someone doing it in EL, theres no comparison ......

good man ! glad to see someone with some standing say something along these lines

some people have suggested that in ''other'' MMO's its impossible to catch all the GC farmers, the games ive seen mentioned are WOW and PruneScape , well I dont know about PruneScape but WOW has a player base of millions of people you cant possibly compare the technicalitys of finding GC sellers in the two games. Youd have to search through millions of players to find someone doing it on WOW , but youd have to search through maybe what ? 800 players on a really busy day to find someone doing it in EL, theres no comparison ......

You conveniently forgot to mention that WoW has Blizzard's millions of dollars to work with, definitely enough money to hire a shitload of people to do that work. EL only has unpaid mods......i would say it's a lot of extra work to do for free, on top of all the other things mods have to do....

yeh it would be extra work of course , im just thinking along the lines of if theres a problem with GC selling then tackle it head on dont hope that some changes might in the future whenever that may be help to cut it down ( a bit )

You conveniently forgot to mention that WoW has Blizzard's millions of dollars to work with, definitely enough money to hire a shitload of people to do that work. EL only has unpaid mods......i would say it's a lot of extra work to do for free, on top of all the other things mods have to do....

Why not let the mod team worry about the extra work involved? All mods are volunteers, and are aware of this fact going in. Personally, I'm all for this initiative, and am a mod. That is not to say any/all other mods are for the idea, so much that mods can determine for themselves what would be more work, and whether s/he is willing to do it. The average player has little idea how much or little any mod does on a given day. Each mod, however, does.

wouldnt you need access to server logs for tracking down that stuff? something which afaik only Entropy, Aislinn and Learner can do?

anyway, just vote yes for Radu's idea, all the other suggestions just screw players in some way.

atleast Radu's suggestion is something that doesnt harm anyone, and focuses on the problem(s)

its just $5 or $6 a month, and slight advantages.. you wont even notice who has gold membership or not if they dont get colored names.

i know someone who sells $$ for GC, $1 - 4k gc, so 20k gc a month.. so its not like its not available for everyone, or impossible to get for some

but hey, supporting the shop is good, as long as someone else pays for it, so lets throw in some other suggestions which screw people over

Why not let the mod team worry about the extra work involved? All mods are volunteers, and are aware of this fact going in. Personally, I'm all for this initiative, and am a mod. That is not to say any/all other mods are for the idea, so much that mods can determine for themselves what would be more work, and whether s/he is willing to do it. The average player has little idea how much or little any mod does on a given day. Each mod, however, does.

You might be able to detect SOME of the gold sales, but there is no way to detect all the kind of sales. What if someone sells his time for $$$? Like: I'll do whatever you ask me in the game for 3 bucks an hour. Would that be illegal too? How do you plan to tell the difference between a legitimate guild project and a resource seller? It is impossible to always be 100% right, and you will hurt some innocent people in the process.

Then what if someone sells a sword for two times more than it's worth? How can you tell if it is selling gold or just getting a good deal?

You might be able to detect SOME of the gold sales, but there is no way to detect all the kind of sales.

That would be exactly the same situation as with all other game rules: the vast majority of the players (or so I hope) would respect it, and a minority would try to cheat, as it happens with the illegal multiplaying rule. I've never broken that one, and I'd never break a new one once it is introduced in the game; I think many honourable players would do just that.

What if someone sells his time for $$$? Like: I'll do whatever you ask me in the game for 3 bucks an hour. Would that be illegal too?

If you say it is illegal, than it surely would be ;) But it doesn't seem to be the same situation, because that'd have little relation with shop sales; besides, it sounds a bit weird (and complicated) to really do that in-game.

How do you plan to tell the difference between a legitimate guild project and a resource seller? It is impossible to always be 100% right, and you will hurt some innocent people in the process.

Then what if someone sells a sword for two times more than it's worth? How can you tell if it is selling gold or just getting a good deal?

All good points: it would surely be harder to catch $$ sellers than, say, illegal multiplayers. Perhaps you could act on a "innocent unless sure proof" basis, but then for those found guilty impose a stiff penalty, which would act as a deterrent. After all, I don't think you catch 100% of illegal multiplayers: the rule is there, though, and people know that they could risk a lot by cheating or trying to cheat.

I understand the situation is quite complicated, hope you'll be able to come up with a good solution :)

Rehdon