Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

Gossip Bot

I've slowed Prattler's delivery pace down a little bit this morning. Once I get more FAQ & gossip for him I'll put gaps of just FAQ & gossip between stories. More stories will be added as well so it's not just the same one all the time.

If you join the channel and he's not saying anything, he should see your there within a minute or less, and then start up. He's supposed to go to sleep once he's done with a story if nobody is in the channel.

Learner, will he be interactive? For example, I listened to his story about the Dragons (and it's still a bit fast, BTW), but if I wanted to hear a piece of gossip or something, can I ask him to change topic? What if I wanted to hear a specific bit of gossip about someone? Or will he just randomly spew out stories and gossip however he wishes?

-Lyn-

Initially it'll all be random. The next step involves large gaps between stories where it'll do FAQ & Gossip. The will be followed by being able to trigger focussing in different categories (Story, FAQ, Gossip, any) as a suggestion.

Later, I'll consider being able to ask it about specific people, etc. If that goes in though you may get gossip they added as well as gossip about them.

Prattler is very early in he's development (he's only two-three days old since I started coding). Keep making suggestions, you can still help guide his development.

Of course, the problem with making him interactive is if you have a number of people in the channel who want to ask him about different things... it'll be like fighting for the TV remote control...how are you going to deal with that?

Would it be better to make gossip a PM thing that you could request quietly, and stories alone on the channel? Or what about talking to him face-to-face for gossip?

And, oh, by the way...I was the only one on channel at that time, and he started off in the middle of the story (probably because someone left the channel before me halfway through it). You might want to consider fixing that, so that he knows when to start a story again, and when to continue.

-Lyn-

Of course, the problem with making him interactive is if you have a number of people in the channel who want to ask him about different things... it'll be like fighting for the TV remote control...how are you going to deal with that?

Thats part of the reason I said he'd listen to suggestions. What the mechanism will be, I don't know. I do know that I'm not planning on letting him stop telling a story until its done.

Would it be better to make gossip a PM thing that you could request quietly, and stories alone on the channel? Or what about talking to him face-to-face for gossip?

The first method for him to collect dynamic gossip will be via PM. The second method will require a Trade of cash and a PM. I'm working on other ways he might pickup gossip as well.

And, oh, by the way...I was the only one on channel at that time, and he started off in the middle of the story (probably because someone left the channel before me halfway through it). You might want to consider fixing that, so that he knows when to start a story again, and when to continue.

He was probably still doing the story from someone having been in earlier. When he's in the middle of a story, he doesn't check to see if anyone is in the channel. Between stories he does check and can shutup for a while if nobody is in.

He's a propaganda spreading bastard!! i like him 8) Atleast when we will be able to pay him to say things :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: payback time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Why not make the bard a character in the game, like an Ant? It could walk around, hail people as they passed and PM them hints, formulas (pots, ess, summoning, etc), or tell them info that other players have told him.

Listening on channel 111 (which I haven't tried yet) seems like tuning in a radio station. Plus, you know you're going to hear something. A wandering bard that you come upon by chance would be a little cooler.

Hey Learner, why don't you get Prattler to announce EL's record-holders? That would give some of the older players more reason to tune in.

eg.

Prattler: I heard: that the Lands' best fighter is ......, with an Attack of ..., Defence of...., and attributes of .../.../.../.../.../..."

Other records would include:

World's Highest-Leveled Player

World's Best Summoner

World's Best Mage

World's Best Harvester (is it really fred?)

and so on, for all the rest of the skills...

World's Most Notorious Murderer (PKer)

World's Most Notorious Thief (highest number of bags stolen)

World's Richest Person

World's Largest Collection of Items

etc., etc., etc.

Just a thought. :) You'd need to work with Toyminator to synchronise the gossip with the Eternal Times, though. And I'm not sure how to prevent people from seeding it with false info or bragging, though. :?

-Lyn-

He now has 1 story and 12 songs. The problems with him not repeating gossip often enough has been corrected and his delivery speed adjusts based on the line length. He also now has the In Game Rules from the Forums to help remind people what they can & can't do.