Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

Gossip Bot

A gossip bot is being built that will say things, spread gossip, and tell stories in a special channel if others are tuned in. Right away, the only gossip will be canned, but in the near future it'll accept trades for gold coins followed by a PM from the same person to teach it a piece of gossip. For a large fee it'll forget where it heard it :)

Other suggestions, thoughts, or ideas?

Great...sounds simple to program too, just sending messages (canned, as you said).

oooo FUN!!! thx learner I'm going to be spreading SO MANY RUMORS!!!! :)

That is awesome!! haha, now we just need multichannel listening support if it will be on a channel :)

I'm planning on putting the Gossip bot on channel 111, and I'm going to look into making it smart enough to not goddip, tell stories etc if others aren't on. It'll have to do #ci on occasion or listten for text in order to be triggered.

..I'm gunna tell it about all the conspiracy theories in the EL world ;-p

Some gossip will be canned, other gossip you'll be able to pay it to hear something you have to say. Who knows where else it might pick up gossip?

It also wil be given stories, FAQ, and other information as well from canned files.

Will it be wandering, or stationary? Bards and bartenders both used to be sources of gossip in fantasy times...are you going to fashion it after one of those sorts?

Or a travelling merchant, that'd be cool.

Just one thing: if you allow people to add gossip, you should watch the contents a bit. We don't want ppl fighting out their flame wars using a gossip bot.

Non-dynamic content tonight or tomorrow night. This will include portions of faq.txt, a simple Ant faq, the story of the Dragons (from the forums), and manually seeded gossip. Faq & gossip items can me slipped in at times during the telling of a story, but what is in the story & what isn't should be obvious.

After that is working, I'll get the Trade/PM interface working to accept funds and gossip. During testing, basic gossip will be priced at 1gp per item/line. Afterwards, I'll have to see how to handle the pricing. Anonymous gossip will be much more expensive.

At this time I don't plan on tracking a player balance, so if someone pays extra, its just a donation :)

The money will either be trashed, or given to the Ants do they can start their own Guild :) Suggestions are welcome :!

wandering bards! that's PERFECT!!! You can make these gossip guys bards learner :) They can wander from tavern to tavern-even sing "pre-recorded" songs :) Both while they're traveling and at the taverns-in addition to talking gossip :D

Whether wandering or not, I haven't decided. I've already made a character to use and placed it in the WSC Tavern by the fountain/marketplace. If its done in channel, easier for people to find it and feed it gossip if I leave it in one place, and anyone can 'tune in' at any time.

Roja, I'll send you a copy of the editted file so you can see some changes I've made to the text to help 'control' the telling of the story :)

Can't you make a few wandering ones? they would just wander from Tavern to tavern..stay at one for like 30mins or so. It'd just be nice to be surprised about what one is in there, instead of the same guy all the time.

If your very bored ... tune to channel 111 to see the very first results of the Gossip bot!