• No.
    • Yes, and I will buy one.
    • I don't care.
  2. 2. What benefits do you want for it?

• None (voted no)
    • Higher chance to make rare items.
    • More experience.
    • Different color name.
    • Better chance to get rare stones while harvesting.
    • Less item breaks.

I would have no issue at all with paying and getting some purely symbolic advantage: e.g., 10$/month to have an halo ("good guy") over your head, for a month. No material advantage whatsoever: just the "I proudly support EL" bit to encourage people.

I do like the idea of giving proud EL supporters what is essentially a service, or some nominal distinction. Something like the halo, or a star next to the name, or a special members-only design on cloaks, or hosting custom clothing (a current unofficial service for this is enjoyed by many). If all players start asking "hey, how did you get that awesome cloak?', that builds demand for the service simply by word of mouth. Suddenly a lot of people will be happy to pay e.g. $20/year to have their custom cape design supported by EL for all to see. Maybe the mage robes can be left as-is, but sold only from the EL shop. The same goes for the royal cloaks, or other items which people may like. Something like a dunce cap, curly-tipped elven shoes, or a wedding dress could sell from the shop, and I'm sure people would buy them.

Edit:

One other idea that had been well received when first brought up: selling some sort of "$ token" (could be known as an EL token, or something), sold for $1 each from the shop. These tokens could then be redeemable from an NPC for common shop items, such as rostogol stones (at a rate of 1 per 5 tokens), or binding stones (at a rate of 2 tokens each). This would allow players to easily buy items as needed, 24/7. Would any current shop users find an idea like this to be useful?

Edited by asgnny

Yes, and I will buy one / several options

First of all: yes I know the problem (and the danger for the game) gold farmers represent. I also know it has impacted on the shop's incomes and I'm absolutely aware that the people dedicating lot of time behind the game (Radu, Roja, mods, etc) have to make a living and deserves money for the work they do and the great game they have developed. Really, I'm conscious of that.

But... let me tell in first place why did I choose to play this game: I choose it cause it's completely free, and if you are some one like me with an already tight RL budget and lots of bills to pay (I'm not weeping, just stating it) you can play the game in relatively equality of opportunities. Yes I know that people with $ can buy thinks from the shop, or can buy gc from gold farmers, or so... but that's not a big issue compared with the advantages that premium content (see below) might give or the demoralizing it can be for people that just can't buy it.

There are other facts that made EL a great play, great community and a "something" that I can't understand... Because I can't say game play is too great (just a constructive criticism, sorry could not resist :) ) I mean a game where is more useful to train with a bone than to train with a sword... you know what I mean. But despite that last thing I consider EL a really great game (one of those I'll probably never forget). But the most important thing to me is FREE game, NO PREMIUM content.

But if you add things like stuff, pets, horses, or supplies or useful things that only can be bought from the shop and which will represent an important advantage for the players that have more money... then it will become "premium" content. And not only content that you can get if you pay 5$ fee each month, but content that you have to pay each time you want/need it.

That way EL will not be different from a lot games I've seen in the web that advertises with the "free" word in their web sites but when you read a bit you realize that if you want to be a "full" or a "complete" player you have to "pay" tons of money in items or stuff (not just a fixed monthly fee) because if you don't you will probably end stuck or in too disadvantage or having to play for like 30 years to level what a player willing to spend lots of money will level in just a year or so.

And as I told before, that is exactly the difference that made me get really interested in EL, and that makes the game so remarkable (at least for my point of view).

In fact, with the alternatives I've read I think at this point I would be glad to pay ~5$ a month to play and get some really, but really small advantage like 0.005% more exp and to be sure the game remains the way it has until now, free of opportunities whether you have / can pay $ or not... I think the alternative would kill the game (at least from my point of view).

And I've been thinking about the economy and possible ways to solve the gold farmers problem and balance the economy and really got nothing. Cause all strategies no matter what you do or how you look at it fails to address the fact that always will be people willing to sell gc for $, no mater if the $ they get are used to buy a beer, a new laptop, or to buy in EL's shop.

So I really think that independently of any other solution we can get (a monthly fee, or anything else) the only long term solution is a "search & destroy" one; finding and BANNING THE #$%@ GOLD FARMERS for the good of the game! I've been thinking a bit of it and I guess (just a guess) that logs (those I've never seen by the way) should be very evident (some one giving away more than 200k in exchange of almost nothing) and it should not be difficult to locate and ban them (but just a risky guess).

I think there are of course things and services (useless to the game most of them) that would not be ugly to pay for, like the clothes (I don't care how I look) or the cool but 100% useless saint thing above the heads, or the "payed" reset that will let you reorganize your pick points (think well if you are not willing to pay for that, or just #reset and work hard again) and so, but I really don't thing it will address for the long term the shop's shortage of income.

Regards to every one,

dmi

(Edit: fixed the options I voted for / messed with conavar thread)

Edited by piojosnos

Sooooo......pay Radu $5 to upload a custom clothing image and......

"This invasion was brought to you by Cola-Cola!" (Hands Radu a Coke)

ummm...yeah...sponsored advertising. lol

Ok. Maybe I am just being nuts now.

Honestly, I am surprised that the game lasted even this long if all of the money to pay for the servers and the living expenses of 2 people comes from the EL Shop and donations by loyal players. Maybe I am not getting the whole picture though.

One thing that has always bugged me is that a number of places where you need to go because of the game advertise other games and might lead people away from the game. There are 4 ads for other games on the EL main webpage. If those ads were for computers and geek toys instead of other games, it would be good, but advertising other games.......not good. Radu, would you be able to get Google to advertise a different category of product there instead? I think that might help some.

Added moments later: It seems to be random geek ads with no real category else than "software".

Edited by nathanstenzel

I would have no issue at all with paying and getting some purely symbolic advantage: e.g., 10$/month to have an halo ("good guy") over your head, for a month. No material advantage whatsoever: just the "I proudly support EL" bit to encourage people.

I do like the idea of giving proud EL supporters what is essentially a service, or some nominal distinction. Something like the halo, or a star next to the name, or a special members-only design on cloaks, or hosting custom clothing (a current unofficial service for this is enjoyed by many). If all players start asking "hey, how did you get that awesome cloak?', that builds demand for the service simply by word of mouth. Suddenly a lot of people will be happy to pay e.g. $20/year to have their custom cape design supported by EL for all to see. Maybe the mage robes can be left as-is, but sold only from the EL shop. The same goes for the royal cloaks, or other items which people may like. Something like a dunce cap, curly-tipped elven shoes, or a wedding dress could sell from the shop, and I'm sure people would buy them.

Edit:

One other idea that had been well received when first brought up: selling some sort of "$ token" (could be known as an EL token, or something), sold for $1 each from the shop. These tokens could then be redeemable from an NPC for common shop items, such as rostogol stones (at a rate of 1 per 5 tokens), or binding stones (at a rate of 2 tokens each). This would allow players to easily buy items as needed, 24/7. Would any current shop users find an idea like this to be useful?

@ the edit, the tokens would be shop sold, so you would still have to wait for radu to log on, making it easier to just pay him directly for the rosto's or bindings

@ the edit, the tokens would be shop sold, so you would still have to wait for radu to log on, making it easier to just pay him directly for the rosto's or bindings

Not if you buy them ahead of time. Buy 50 tokens now, and you can later buy 3 efe, 5 binding, 2 eme, 4 rostogols, etc., as needed.

I voted yes because I don't think it'll directly affect my game play, and if it helps Radu maintain this crazy awesome game in the state it's in, then I'm all for it.

However, please consider the following as the opinion of an "outsider".......

In RL everything is backwards.

The state arrests the drug dealers, takes their money, the dealers get replaced, and so on. Who feeds this process?-Mostly the users.

EL isn't RL, but it's played by real sheeple people, with real desires, fears, agendas...why not try to work on the buyers of the gold (the users)?

Put EL on "code red" - mabie a new rule/announcement(s), something like "We're working on stopping the sellers, but that's mostly out of our control, however, if you are caught buying from those people - you loose the gold and get a nasty slap on the wrist. 2nd time=banned forever." (or something similar more close to the reality of the situation).

Might sound silly but all suffering is based on desire, and humans can get addicted to their desires, but when you're stranded on a desert island there comes a time when the stranded have to make sacrifices in order to survive (not enough coconuts) or perish.

So putting the fear of teh g0d into our hearts, mabie a few "sacrificial lambs", could have a possible effect that could at least be measured/studied/deemed effective or not. If no effect results, then more drastic measures could be implemented (by drastic I mean in terms of the staff and how much work has to be put into that measure's implementation).

If any of the players who've developed into gold harvers get upset, no matter how upstanding their reputation or how much they've contributed to the game, well....

"You can do no harm to man or (teh)god without selfishness."

At the same time I could be totally wrong...being noobish and all...and referring to situations/processes I don't really understand, so please forgive me if I sound naive. Just trying to throw my idea out there in the interest of exploring every possibility before proceeding.

(Oh, and no, I've never contributed $$ to the game, but I was unaware of Radu's current situation, until now, which may inspire me to consider it. Perhaps the ideas brought up regarding in-game/forum fundrasing could work~it might have already worked on me, and you didn't even try!)

Thanks

I voted Yes.

Believe it or not, but Ive been tempted to buy something from the shop to show my support. Hell, In the past Ive bought forum subscriptions, So maybe I should pay my dues. But Ive been waiting for something Other than Items to come out, that were really worth some money/time to me. I like the idea of getting more exp/more enriched essences or more stones. Or something like Arti Cape to get a higher chance at finding stones.

I came to EL because it was the only MMO that had a awesome make system, and the fact at the time it was the only MMO that would run on Linux. Sure, there were others, but they didnt seem appetizing. Actually, I still look around for another MMO to try, but some look so demanding on your system Id need a gaming system to play a MMO (and btw I have 10 fans on my gaming comp-So its as loud as a 747 when running). Id rather not have my comp sound like a 747 when Im writing a report for school. EL still manages to look good and not use much system resources even on a "legacy AGP 8X" system.

Ok, first, to reitterate my previous points, I do not plan, at least not for the time being, to make the gold sale illegal. Despite of what some people think, doing this is a waste of time, since there are many ways to get around it.

About the 'omfg, two tiers, unfair, game not free, blah blah', guess what: IT ALREADY HAPPENS, BOTH WITH PLAYERS BUYING FROM THE SHOP AND FROM THE FARMERS! THIS WOULD GIVE SOMEONE A SMALLER ADVANTAGE THAN SOMEONE WHO BUYS 100 USD WORTH OF GOLD.

This also happens in any other MMO, people can buy gold from the farmers, so there are 'two tiers'.

It happens in non MMO games as well. In FPS games, rich people get get better computers and faster internet connections, so omfg, two tiers.

This "two tier, omfg unfair" thing is total bulshit, k? Would you rather have someone spend 5 bucks to a farmer for 40Kgcs, or to me for a modest advantage?

Just way to many post for me to read.

But i have another great idea. Ive been trying to get nexus removal stones in shop for a long time. Fk the afk harvestors who are profitting from them.

Remove the Nexus removal stones from game and put in shop PLEASE. So i can finally get what i want. Im good with 50 bucks a stone. Thats about in game gc price. And why do i want then so bad. Part of reason is im tired of getting out bid by gc buyers or being to late to the offer.

I work alot of irl hours. So while on game i perfer to Chat and work on a/d. I dont havest i dont make things. So i dont have in game gc. Id perfer to buy these items from shop along with a membership if there is a hire drop rate included.

Edited by Scorpion_King

Voted yes, and I will buy one when I can scrape up the RL cash.

I selected "less item breaks" and "better chance to make rares" as my options.. but the reason for that is kinda simple really..

1, I get severely annoyed at pickaxe breakage. Hell, I'd pay $20-30 for just an "unbreakable pickaxe" from the item shop...

2. I just got done mixing the better part of 70k FEs for a guild project.. no EFE so far.

But other than that, I don't really care what, if any, benefits are offered. I'd buy one just to support Radu and EL, provided, of course, I could afford it...

But to be honest.. I really don't see "inflation" as that big of a problem here in EL. Sure, we have some... but that's just it.. it's *some*. Every other game I've played has had *massive* hyperinflation in comparison.. and you know what? I've done just fine on them too. No, I've never been a "top 10 ubber-Pr0 player".. but I don't play games for an ego gratification.. I play em to have fun, make friends, and generally enjoy myself.

Nothing suggested by Radu has any significant effect of "breaking game balance". Certainly far less impact than somebody being able to go buy a couple million gcs from a gold farmer, and then go snag the uberest gear just because they have a fat bank account. Which, I might add, they can already do. Banning gold farming doesnt' work.. it's been tried by many, many games, including WoW, and even the mighty Blizzard, with their millions of dollars and thousands of employees can't stop it.

Inflation happens in *any* virtual economy, simply because it's always so much easier to make digital currency than it is to make RL currency, and there are less fixed expenses that command significant portions of one's income.. There is *always* a way to make enough gcs for what you want to do, if you're willing to put forth the effort. So frankly, I'm not all that worried about "inflation". What I am concerned with, however, is Radu being able to make enough RL cash so EL can continue running for us to enjoy.

Beyond that, I don't care so much.

This "two tier, omfg unfair" thing is total bulshit, k? Would you rather have someone spend 5 bucks to a farmer for 40Kgcs, or to me for a modest advantage?

I dont think anyone wants to see you being short changed for the effort you put into making this game Radu, I think people are simply concerned about the prospect of Gold Membership having little impact upon the issue of GC sellers, perhaps if you could clearly give your theory on why GC farmers would become less of a problem then those who feel unhappy about it might change thier mind

But you should just implement the Gold Membership and see how it goes, theres obviously alot of support for it despite the fact that there WILL BE an open system of advantaged players Vs old skool types

$5 a month for 12 months is only $60 , shit its one hour of paid work a month if youve got a job , and if you spend more than an hour on EL a month you got your moneys worth

heh for alot of people with skeptic perk im sure they would love to pay $5 a month to get increased chances of finding rares :D

Ok, first, to reitterate my previous points, I do not plan, at least not for the time being, to make the gold sale illegal. Despite of what some people think, doing this is a waste of time, since there are many ways to get around it.

Addressing the issue and attempting to prevent it would fix a LOT of problems, I don't understand why you insist its not worth your time.

Stoping gc farmers would help the economy, Stopping gc farmers would put more money in *your* pocket. This is what all of this is about, this is what everyone wants, therefore, why is it not the best option?

Sure, there's ways around it, there's ways around everything. However making it harder (such as the one character per person at a time) or illegal (making it illegal makes it harder, and would discourage the many honest players I know of that buy gc) would be a step in the right direction for both these points.

Only ~100 people have voted they would pay for membership so far. That's not a heck of a lot of money, considering some of them probably wouldn't really follow through (no offense meant to anyone by that, just pointing out its likely there's some random people who wouldn't follow through)

If you think membership is best for you and the game, do it, make it happen.

But please, please please please, fix the problem, stop the gold farmers.

If the game needs a membership program to support itself, okay, I can deal with that, just please make it reasonable (which everything besides the exp gain seems reasonable to me). But I don't see why it needs to be sold with the "it's going to fix the economy" banner. Sell the idea for what it is, the game needs money, making memberships will not solve the gold farming problem.

As for the economy, fix that too please, stop gold farming.

And guess what, what people want is an important driving factor in this game.

My favorite thing of the many things I love about Eternal Lands.

However in my opinion it will not prevent gold farming and it will do little to reduce amount of gc's traded for $.
There will still be gold farming, lots of resources entering the game, resulting in inflation.
I suspect the gold membership idea would actually increase the number of gc farmers, and increase the exchange rate of gc/$.
Encourage people to support the developers, not the gold farmers.
and probably this will not help to avoid players to become gc farmers
First thing imo is to ban all gc famers (who cares it solves the problem or not, we'll see soon enough)
For a couple of years you have tried to control the economy, and now it seems that you are loosing profits on behalf of gold farmers.

I think there were more quotes, but those were the ones I could find.

Ok I woted yes to all except color as I don't like to advertise in game that I pay.

I do support the idea of some EL tokens that can be traded with radu, only souce of them should be cash shop, and they should have a value of 1US$ or at least a fixed value relative to the US$.

The tokens should be tradeable between players in some controled fashion, maybe an auction system as seen in many other mmorpgs.

These tokens should then be valid payment for all shop items, and all shop items should be available from an NPC.

In addition they could be redemable for rl US$ from radu with some lower rate, say they cost 1$ to buy, but you only get 80 cent per when redeemed, and can only be redeemed in certain quantities. (but only if it wold be worth it for radu of cause)

Why would radu even want to consider this? to get a cut off some of the gc being farmed for rl cash.

As to what xp benefit I'd like for gold members: I think it should be acces to some maps where there are better monsters, resources, etc. (for xp) or where all xp has a multiplier, maybe lower food usage for mixing, etc.

I voted no to both options, since I won't buy it and don't really agree with the idea. *But*, upon reconsideration, if this can help to keep goldfarming in game, then I will support it.

After thinking about it, I believe that there should also be some shop items that have nothing to do with the player's wealth, but which give small advantages. Like un-tradeable armor with stats that are around that of tit, for a price that's cheaper than what one would get if thet bought rostos and sold for gc.

Sell SoP, SoM, BoD, BroD at shop ONLY. <--- dont remember who suggested this, but I think this and several similar ideas are worth the most attention.

Could make Uni Hoods ans Scythes and stuff like that only a shop item (whatever happened to the events "buy st00fs from shop for xx$ now, they will be makeable in a couple of months only so you will be the first ones to have them"?). AND there were suggestions for player-build cities. If this is even possible to implement, I can see A LOT of $$ coming into Radu's pocket.

The main idea is to get people to buy shop items or whatever that brings Radu $, isn't it? As long as EL shop has better offers than gold farmers, they're not a problem. They can exist as much as they want, they'd still won't steal away Radu's $.

And I don't see gold farming harmful in some cases. There are tons of people who can't use paypal or are under-aged, so it's easier for them to get the gcs, give them to someone to pay for items or services from EL shop with their $. What's wrong with that?

Sell SoP, SoM, BoD, BroD at shop ONLY. <--- dont remember who suggested this, but I think this and several similar ideas are worth the most attention.

Could make Uni Hoods ans Scythes and stuff like that only a shop item (whatever happened to the events "buy st00fs from shop for xx$ now, they will be makeable in a couple of months only so you will be the first ones to have them"?). AND there were suggestions for player-build cities. If this is even possible to implement, I can see A LOT of $$ coming into Radu's pocket.

I do plan to make a few new items shop only, at least for a month or so before they become makable.

And I don't see gold farming harmful in some cases. There are tons of people who can't use paypal or are under-aged, so it's easier for them to get the gcs, give them to someone to pay for items or services from EL shop with their $. What's wrong with that?

That's not farming, that's kind of the opposite of farming :D

This is a good suggestion, but I also think adding in the ability for items to be bound would help a lot. For instance there could be cheaper bound rostos (say $2-3 each) and then normal tradeable ones, or just remove the tradeable ones all together.

Now, at first, with the tradeable rostos gone, there might be decreased profits from less people buying for a $->rosto->gc carry trade, BUT, once the current supplies of rostos dry up, people would start buying the bound rostos for own use. Or, a player who offers gc->$ conversion would sell them rostos, but the $ would still be guaranteed to go to the shop.

Another solution is just to make rostos shop-only items

Would the idea of gold membership allowing you to receive a special golden pickaxe (guaranteed to harvest 5000 items without a breakage) be acceptable by payers AND non-payers? Maybe a choice of it being either a gold pickaxe or a golden serpent sword also guaranteed not to break for 5k hits or something?

Once again its not a hugely advantageous item but gives the feeling of having gotten something of perceived value for your money (which would be what entices most players to chip in $).

I'd also like to see purchasable "titles" that can be displayed above a players name be available from the shop, as has previously been discussed on other threads (and tying in with the new awards system being currently developed/implemented).

I think this thread now has MORE than enough reasons why to vote yes or no now, as well as a lot of opinions from everyone, its time to scatch n sniff and see if the idea works for bringing in teh moolah

Off-topic (probably): Radu, have you considered other internet-banking systems, like AlertPay? I think many people would find it useful (including me), especially those who are outside US or don't have a credit card to be able to use PayPal...

I voted yes (won't buy) beacuse I don't have any extra money right now but I may in the future so that could change it to yes (I would buy).

paid 700 bucks for Miroslav

Perhaps you should change the rules on character selling to consignment.

You get a percentage of the sale with the bonus knowlege of which characters are being transfered to whom.

Kneejerk reactions are always gonna bite you in the end (e.g. look at how an attempt to stimulate PK, the attribute cap, has really achieved the desired result... NOT)

um, the attribute cap has been great for PK...

Dont assume that it's failure to address a 20kgc+ death cost (which was only addressed by ND-KF) equates to it not being great for PK.

Particulary the advantage for gold members could be to be part of the development decisions of the game.

For example, if there is something to decide like a new feature or some tweaking in the game, you could make a poll amongst the gold members only (seperate forum or whatever) and try to follow the majority of those gold members opinions.

That's one of the dumbest things I heard in a while :D

Gilrain, the reason Dushan is smashing his head is because just because a person has RL$$ they're willing and able to spend on a game, they by no means are people who would be best to make game modification/new feature decisions.

I completely agree with Dushan.

It's bad enough that the majority vote will sometimes be used to decide things... but to put some decisions in the hands of whoever has RL$ could, and probably would, be disastrous.

I voted yes (won't buy) beacuse I don't have any extra money right now but I may in the future so that could change it to yes (I would buy).

paid 700 bucks for Miroslav

Perhaps you should change the rules on character selling to consignment.

You get a percentage of the sale with the bonus knowlege of which characters are being transfered to whom.

I've seen interestingg solution in another game - they have a website where you can put on sale for $ any game item / character. The transfer is being done by the game staff so that largely reduces a risk of scam. The game owner gets 5-10% commission on any transaction. No other $ trades are theoretically allowed (although they are unavoidable of course and surely happen).

In another thread, I suggested making saving stones a shop only item also

These in my opinion provide an equaly important insurance to assets as the rostogol stone. Yes I do understand that not nearly as many saving stones go out of game as rostogols, but I use them from time to time and have lost a few this month alone. As more people get higher levels, to attempt building higher items, the more they will be used.

impossible for me and some of my friends to use EL shop from russian federation(and i think not only). i voted NO. i think all players must have equal ability and rights in game without depending from real money.

(sorry for my english)

impossible for me and some of my friends to use EL shop from russian federation(and i think not only). i voted NO. i think all players must have equal ability and rights in game without depending from real money.

(sorry for my english)

Is it really impossible?

visa and mastercard has huge grasp on this world, there are even pre-loaded visa cards where you load you card at a bank, or perhaps on line, and then can use anywhere visa is accepted. There may be issues using paypal from some countries, but visa should work anywhere. There is always the option of getting a certifed money order in usd and mailing it to eternal lands. Even Pitcairn Island has a postal service, granted it is slow, but there is one. I find it hard to belive it is impossible to send money from russia, brazil, etc. Could some one explain the problem? I would guess there is a solution.