Eternal Lands Official Forums
asgnny

One character per person at a time

Reasonable means to slow down gc farmers and cut inflation, or too restrictive?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. In the interest of reducing inflation and slowing down the ebul gc farmers, should players be limited to one character per actual person at a time (note: NOT one character IP, but per actual person)?

• Yes, stop the gc farmers! I only need to use one character at a time. I understand that other actual people can still play here at the same time as me.
    • No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!

lol ^^ yeah the game is sooo huge u need alts to explore it tongue.gif

thanks for making me sound dumb. next time take this crap to pm, it has no place here.

I voted for yes.

Having multi char at same time is not for the RPG fun... only usefull to keep harving afk... and i agree with asgnny point of view that it ruins economy since few players have lots of GC and lot of players dont have much.

One person should only play one char at time... its more realistic and thats how i think things should be (thats how i do any ways...)

Alts can do alot more than just harvest. Sometimes, it is difficult to help people out at a certain time because your main character is busy. If you use an alt to help a friend and any debt that you want repaid for the favor is paid the to character that helped them, that is far from only being useful for afk harvesting.

Who says you can't switch which character is semi-AFK? Sometimes, my alt is getting the attention and my main is AFK harvesting or just regaining life and/or mana. Sometimes, I have them both logged on and neither is active.....just listening quietly for messages in #gm, recruiting channel, @@4 or @@3.

I think the trick would be to track gc and items that a person gets or gives without exchange of value when they have multiple known characters. If one character is giving away thousands of gc worth from someone and another is getting thousands of gc worth while neither of them seems to be doing an attempt at a balanced trade, then the person should be suspected of EL-->$-->EL multiplay. Registered bots would be considered as an acception.

There does not need to be a whole new rule for this. Just add on possible EL -- > $ --> EL transactions to the list of illegal trades in rule 5.

Yes, stop the gc farmers! I only need to use one character at a time. I understand that other actual people can still play here at the same time as me

Umm no, I want gold farmers to be stopped, but I actually like playing multiple characters...

No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!

So, instead of afk harvesting on one character and playing on another, I should afk harvest and play another game during that time?

I absolutely do not like making exceptions for some and not for others.

I can understand that.

I also do not like the idea you can pay rl $ to bypass a rule.

I only suggested the $5 to add a "pain threshold" to the option. We've seen how well it keeps people from trying the PK server, I figured it would reduce the number of people trying to make alts claiming "I was to play two characters".

I don't see why you can't log on before the hour change, do your harvest, log off, then continue on playing on your alt. You will still be ingame playing and able to see the ingame time so this should not be a problem.

1. Because I want both chars to get their harvest in, so they both need to be logged in.

2. Because even at my high harvest level, it takes 20 minutes to get my 120 dung. I wouldn't want to not play the second character for 20+ minutes of every hour. Nor would I want to do both characters hourly harvest serially (one after the other) as that would greatly reduce the amount of time available in each hour.

So, yes, it is still an issue to be addressed for people who aren't trying to bypass the spirit of the rules.

No.

my alts don't sell resources to npcs for gc, nor do they harvest tons of stuff. i use them mainly for exploring.

I also vote no, while I don't use my alt for exploring, I do use it. It keeps the stuff for birthday presents for my guildmates and does harvesting for them. It is not a gold farmer.

BTW: using an alt to explore while your main is mixing or harvesting is a great idea.

Shea

Just a quick note, wording the questions so that a no vote makes you automatically wrong...well its not going to be a real poll of opinions.

Edited by Shea

I voted for yes.

Having multi char at same time is not for the RPG fun... only usefull to keep harving afk... and i agree with asgnny point of view that it ruins economy since few players have lots of GC and lot of players dont have much.

One person should only play one char at time... its more realistic and thats how i think things should be (thats how i do any ways...)

I think the trick would be to track gc and items that a person gets or gives without exchange of value when they have multiple known characters.

Its quite hard to achieve imo.

No.

The rule excludes people who do not play alts for gc and if there were exceptions to be added for those, then moderation would be impractical. I'd like a third option in the poll because of this, as it polarizes the issue without taking into account people who do not sell gc for money, nor overflow the market with stuff, but simply like to level different chars as their main gets bigger, because playing a main requires more boring time (no matter how many animations or events you add to harvesting).

Since this isn't the proper solution to the problem[1] I am not in favor of using a discriminating rule.

[1] Instead forbid gc for dollar on the free server, create a second server where dollar payments can be used to acquire items or characters and take a cut. The price of playing on the free server then is that a) you can't get any real life money for your time and B) that you're subject to economy balancing changes before they are implemented on the "dollar server" and highly encouraged to give feedback on those.

I think the 'making a bot' issue could be solved with another tag/color name (for a bot in progress...) this would make it pretty clear, people would declare they were leveling up a char to be a bot and get this tag before they could start leveling it.

That being said, I personally think this is treating the symptoms instead of curing the problem (like taking an aspirin for a broken foot.) There's only a market for gcs because there's a hole in the market that someone was ingenious enough to fill. If that hole were closed, they'd see no real reward for their effort (even if it seems like no effort...,) or no customers for their product.

I realize I'm putting my neck on the chopping block as I say this, but if I were Radu, I'd adjust the shop prices to 'squash' the ebul gc farmers and drive them out of business (maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses.)

I think this rule is a bit too 'strict' as I know several people who have full time alts and play both characters 'always'. I don't see any option to vote for as it's either yes or no, nothing in between. If it's just about 'pure gc harvesters/sellers' why not make a rule that says you can't do that, instead? If someone just harvests and then sells their gcs, it should be fairly obvious in the logs, no?

Something like: You may not make/play a character for the sole purpose of harvesting gcs...

Ok, you can shoot me now if you want B)

I voted for yes.

I think the trick would be to track gc and items that a person gets or gives without exchange of value when they have multiple known characters.

impossible to track each coin..

I voted for yes.

impossible to track each coin..

500k going from one character to another without recieving anything in return?

100k every X days?

not hard to spot B)

Voted No.

The proposed 'fix' is a poor one imho. My alt doesn't harv for GCs but this would impact my ALT in such way that I couldnt have both in game simultaneously. What criteria would define an ALT from a MAIN char?

It is noted and appreciated, that at least a couple people who say "no way" are offering at least an attempt at a "better" solution.

The problem isn't going to go away, so if you want to angrily object to this idea, at least offer something you think is better.

[1] Instead forbid gc for dollar on the free server, create a second server where dollar payments can be used to acquire items or characters and take a cut. The price of playing on the free server then is that a) you can't get any real life money for your time and B) that you're subject to economy balancing changes before they are implemented on the "dollar server" and highly encouraged to give feedback on those.

I think a bigger problem is people selling gc for RL cash to other players, not so much the purchases made in the EL shop. Just my opinion tho.

Won't fix the problem imo. It will just be more work for the mods with little benefit.

And, maybe this is a little bit off this topic, but: would it be more interesting to make this "inflation" and "money" and "RL money" discussion behind by making players hands more busy. Not allowing them to take care of more then 1 character at time.

(my idea is by offering them more activities like instances, but on everyday base, adjusted for any level or any number of players, displaying stats in public for fame and for glory. and for people who want to make money of EL by spending boring hours in sitting and harvesting, let them be, i think this kind of game should be more of adventure, magic, fighting and quest than digging, so improve that. And when players are busy, they don't have time for digging. Only for stuff they realy need.)

Edited by punti

It is noted and appreciated, that at least a couple people who say "no way" are offering at least an attempt at a "better" solution.

The problem isn't going to go away, so if you want to angrily object to this idea, at least offer something you think is better.

forbid gc buy/sell so no point having a harvesting alt and just buy from shop. How to find out ? gc sellers are known, just track their trades if its a solution to the "gc inflation"

But, not this : if harvest alts are removed, it means less harvesters, therefore => Less stones found. So counterpart, less stones ingame means their price will increase - along with coal/silver/iron etc i expect because there will be less ressources entering the game. Assgny said "resulting in massive infusion of unnatural gc into the game." He is wrong again, it is not GC entering the game but flowers/ore/stones. You do not harvest GC right ?...

I voted for yes.

No. Not really. Radu has made posts which prove that he had logs of every time you pick up a bag, put down a bag, trade with someone including what, etc. Even if he didn't have the logs to make such investigations, he owns the game, has server access and could easily change things to make sure that he had the information that he had. I have no intentions of underestimating his abilities on this matter.

With what data he has proven that he has.....even if he didn't have code currently in place to track unbalanced trades, he could surely add the code easily enough.

If nothing else, it would be something to set off a red flag to prompt some investigation by the mods.

if the reason to discourage farming is to increase shop sales then the second life model i think would be best as their owners make millions. take out all gc from game and put a $ icon on the client and if credit card is on file you can instantly buy gc from the shop. Premium accounts ($70 usd a year) could get a weekly stipend of say 20k gc(or whatever owner decides is best) and if more gc is needed buy from shop/icon. premium account or free 2 play ftw! (P2P chars sold separately) NPC's could sell and not buy and since so many bots are in game they can buy B). Tutorial NPC can give gc to new people and owner ran contests or instances/invasions could be used to get extra gc in game. an EL exchange could be set up for people to sell excess coins. i would love to to see e-l owners become rich off all the work they have done and not afk players getting the $ benefit from their work.. i would pay $70 a year for premium account with no problem as the system would be fair. so if people don't like farming and seeing e-l lose money then put your money to the game. i realize this wouldn't be easy to implement or everyone would like it but it can be something to consider for the future.

that's very very labor intensive to scrutinize every single transaction etc. that is probably not an option.

Who said a human would be doing that?

The server runs the game and the server can do all the hard work. Just give the server some parameters to work on and a few new fields or a new database table.

By the way, scrutinizing every single transaction up to 5+ trades away from you is already done by the server for checking same IP trades.

Goldfarming in EL is just epic fail, you earn what 1 USD each hour tops? Go farm in some other game, will earn you alot more money and you can easily use several bots to up your $$/h rate.

Edited by HeLLRaiZeR

forbid gc buy/sell so no point having a harvesting alt and just buy from shop. How to find out ? gc sellers are known, just track their trades if its a solution to the "gc inflation"

Do you spend your real $$ to buy things from shop? I don't. So I simply pay a gc buyer to get my color/name/whatever change and everyone is happy: I get my color change and the other one gets my gc...what's the problem with that?

As this is not implemented, the weight of claiming this is a good solution is on the person who suggested it. The fact that one person with only one account farms and will continue to do so (already posted) alone is proof that this "solution" is screwing the wrong people.

(and damned if the incredible amount of pathetic bias in the question and option choices should allow for this to be even remotely considered as a fair representation of people's opinions. Nothing this horridly and pathetically biased should ever have been allowed as blue spam in the game. This is one person's opinion, not a poll. If we're blue-spamming people's opinions, I got a few... B) )

Do you spend your real $$ to buy things from shop? I don't. So I simply pay a gc buyer to get my color/name/whatever change and everyone is happy: I get my color change and the other one gets my gc...what's the problem with that?

Same principle, it takes time to get gc, time is worth money. Ingame gc DOES have an irl worth, because people are willing to spend irl cash on saving time and becomming successfull sooner.

Many mmorpgs forbid trading rpgcurrency with irl currency.. While it's a good thought, its basically impossible to do. I like the idea of only one character logged in at a time per person.

While we're already discussing gold farming, why not ban character sales? It's basically the same thing.

Edited by HeLLRaiZeR