Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi06

Ranged Kills

I've been trying to collect animal furs and decided to train my Range at the same time.

The only annoying thing is that when I get a kill, half the time someone runs up and steals the DB, and I don't get to loot my kill :(

So I propose that you automatically move to the corpse of the animal after you kill it, just like in melee, so no one has a chance to take the loot. You killed the animal so you should get first chance at its DB :pickaxe:

I'd really like to see this put in the game :)

What do you think?

Edited by Kiwi06

What do you think?

I think that would be somewhat bothersome in an invasion situation if you just killed one of four giants and you walked out into the middle of them for the bag. :pickaxe:

I agree that it might be nice sometimes, but I can think of situations were I would not want to automatically move from my position.

My guess it that you probably need to select a less populated training area if you want to be able to collect the drops.

So I propose that you automatically move to the corpse of the animal after you kill it, just like in melee, so no one has a chance to take the loot. You killed the animal so you should get first chance at its DB :pickaxe:

What do you think?

Maybe not move you to the bag, but move the bag to you if an arrow make the kill ?

What do you think?

Maybe not move you to the bag, but move the bag to you if an arrow make the kill ?

I like it :)

i like it too, i have lost lots of bag to even not bagjumpers...normal ppl take them thinking they are thrown away, many times they simply don't see me up a wall :pickaxe:

just to play devil's advocate :pickaxe: ...

Ranging lacks much of the risk of death that melee does, getting a guarantee on the contents of the death bag could easily be called a reward for that risk.

There'd be other issues too...

eg. 10 rangers get a dragon to near dead and then some one else comes along and shoots the final blow and they get the db, etc.

just to play devil's advocate :pickaxe: ...

Ranging lacks much of the risk of death that melee does, getting a guarantee on the contents of the death bag could easily be called a reward for that risk.

eg. 10 rangers get a dragon to near dead and then some one else comes along and shoots the final blow and they get the db, etc.

You make a good argument, and that makes me sad.

Just because I can kill Grizzlies with a bow and not melee doesn't mean I don't deserve their fur! lol :)

And I'm quite sure there aren't going to be any noob archers coming and stealing a dragon kill :(

But it could work the same way with melee, if someone takes down its health and then someone else was able to attack and kill it then they would get the bag...

Edited by Kiwi06

And I'm quite sure there aren't going to be any noob archers coming and stealing a dragon kill :pickaxe:

Actually, that's happened to me more than once.

One problem with this idea is that often you range from a safe place, but need to go invis and jump down into a dangerous area if you want to get your drop. Being able to auto-get the bag would remove one of the bigger challenges to ranging. Also, it could make it easier for some n00b to ninja your drop - someone could just wait for you to get the dragon/bula/whatever down to 50 health, then start shooting in hopes of making the kill and grabbing the drop.

That's usually a fighter-serper :pickaxe: no a fellow ranger ...

Seriously though, I have mixed feelings about this proposal.

As it was stated numerous times in various discussions, during invasions a rule "first grab, first serve" applies. I've seen even most honorable players picking drops of creatures they haven't even touched, seeing nothing wrong with that, so all we can do is to follow the suit.

To make things even more complicated - if a number of people work on same big monster, how to determine ownership of the bag? In some other games only the one who has dealt either the most damage (preferred) or delivered a final blow (questionable) is able to pick up a bag for some seconds, later a bag is accessible for everyone. I think we'll never see that in EL, so we have to rely on a common sense of those who shoot together, and I caan say that in majority of cases it works great.

In training you do not have any guarantee as well to get anything from your kill since "no one owns a spawn" and some people will always find a nice excuses to justify stealing your creature or its db. Unlike melee spawn serping, serping ranger's spawn is not considered outlaw by many and happens every day. Too bad the serped ranger loses real gc's spent on arrows, on top of lost creature, drops and chance to get exp. So called "community" is very hypocritical here but I guess we have to live with that and keep suggesting to increase the number of places and creatures suitable for training of this skill at higher levels.

Surely, as a ranger, I'd like to get a drop from a creature I have wasted my arrows on, but despite of all this I'm against this proposal. Teleporting you to the deathbag would be deadly during invasions, while teleporting db to you would allow standing in one safe place (like NC wall or WV bridge), shooting everything that moves and having drops delivered to your feet, which would be unfair advantage.

As Bkc56 said, in order to be able to cllect drops, train smart - in less populated areas or at times when majority of players are busy elsewhere.

As Bkc56 said, in order to be able to cllect drops, train smart - in less populated areas or at times when majority of players are busy elsewhere.

Option #3: go to PK server \o/

Edited by DHT

That's usually a fighter-serper :pickaxe: no a fellow ranger ...

How true....

I am in agreement with Cru - nice as it would be no easy way for the bag to get to the ranger.

However I would like to ask melee fighters, if you see a monster being ranged - please don't go in at the last minute to get the kill, unless specifically asked!

That's usually a fighter-serper :devlish: no a fellow ranger ...

How true....

Come now Cru and Raz... how quickly do u think that'd change if the person making the final blow instantly got the DB.

Drop-stealing-rangers would come out of the woodwork :P

I agree that fighters should leave DB's from ranged kills for the ranger to collect. I certainly have never knowingly taken monster DB's from a ranger.

As a part time summoner, i will grab any db's laying around, but never when i know a ranger has done the work. But, as said before, often I may not see the ranger. There is also times I am training and a wounded mob shows up, having wondered off from the rangers position, at which time I kill it. If a ranger see's me getting a bag that they think is their's, just give me shout and I will leave it, or maybe even bring it to you. I have also, many times, allowed rangers to shoot at the DC's I am training on, just because I like the way it looks, lol. IMO, communication is the key.

As a part time summoner, i will grab any db's laying around, but never when i know a ranger has done the work. But, as said before, often I may not see the ranger. There is also times I am training and a wounded mob shows up, having wondered off from the rangers position, at which time I kill it. If a ranger see's me getting a bag that they think is their's, just give me shout and I will leave it, or maybe even bring it to you. I have also, many times, allowed rangers to shoot at the DC's I am training on, just because I like the way it looks, lol. IMO, communication is the key.

I think this is more to do with a bunch of rangers expending time and arrows in killing a dragon or such, then when it is almost dead, a fighter coming in and attacking, or a player coming in and jumping the bag.

In melee fight - the 'attacker' walks to the bag (unless multi) so no chance for a bag jump - this does not (and should not) happen for ranged kills.

Yes there are times when this is helpful - as if the fighter is trusted - then the bag is safe.

If a ranger kills something, then after killing does not walk to the bag - then the bag is fair game - and if someone wants the bag help themselves.

In general - most are like you norm- and respect such bags - but - there are a few :devlish:

AFAIK if the archer hits the final hit to a monster, the fighter would not automatically walk on the bag. so you have about .1 seconds to tele on it lol

AFAIK if the archer hits the final hit to a monster, the fighter would not automatically walk on the bag. so you have about .1 seconds to tele on it lol

Nope

So the bag coming to the archer is out, because it would be too easy

And the Archer automatically going to the bag is out, because in some cases it is too dangerous

But what about the option to turn it offand on? This way if you are fighting big monsters or invasion monsters or Dragons, you won't run to it and perish, but if you want you can turn it on for smaller monsters, or when training on small stuff? I really like this idea because I don't think its fair that if you get the kill someone else could get the bag, but if you're a melee fighter to don't have to worry at all.

I also was wondering if maybe it would be possible to be able to pick up arrows that missed the target, I mean, they are sitting right there in the ground and you can't get em :)

Or should I start a new thread for that? I'm sure its already been discussed somewhere...

But what about the option to turn it offand on? This way if you are fighting big monsters or invasion monsters or Dragons, you won't run to it and perish, but if you want you can turn it on for smaller monsters, or when training on small stuff?

You can accomplish the same with TTR spell.

I also was wondering if maybe it would be possible to be able to pick up arrows that missed the target, I mean, they are sitting right there in the ground and you can't get em :P

Or should I start a new thread for that? I'm sure its already been discussed somewhere...

Ethereal Ranger perk does just that - gives you a chance not to lose an arrow you shoot, so it's like collecting the ones that left after shooting :)

Come now Cru and Raz...

Didn't we say we are against that proposal ? :)

Ya, my post wasn't about the proposal and whether or not you're for or against it, it's just a cheeky reply to your saying it's teh ebul fighters that steal bags, never fellow rangers. :P

I also was wondering if maybe it would be possible to be able to pick up arrows that missed the target, I mean, they are sitting right there in the ground and you can't get em :(

Ethereal Ranger perk does just that - gives you a chance not to lose an arrow you shoot, so it's like collecting the ones that left after shooting :)

Oh I didn't know this perk even existed! Jee thanks :P

But I'm working hard just to get nexus right now let alone another perk :S

Come now Cru and Raz...

Didn't we say we are against that proposal ? :)

Ya, my post wasn't about the proposal and whether or not you're for or against it, it's just a cheeky reply to your saying it's teh ebul fighters that steal bags, never fellow rangers. :(

Well, many rangers these days have enough a/d to do it fighter's way when creature is about to die, or use invisibility, or use TTR on the bag - possibilities are there. Somehow it is not the case, so suggestion above wouldn't change much . Different standards I guess. :P

Well, many rangers these days have enough a/d to do it fighter's way when creature is about to die, or use invisibility, or use TTR on the bag - possibilities are there. Somehow it is not the case, so suggestion above wouldn't change much . Different standards I guess. :)

I dont think you got my point... My point is that those looking to take the drop of a monster other have done most of the work to kill use melee because it's the easiest/most effective method. The proposed suggestion would change things because those people would start ranging to make use of the new 'feature'.

I'm not saying that the current rangers in EL would start 'drop-stealing', i'm saying the drop-stealers would join the ranger ranks.