Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

More realistic temperatures

This game does have some cold regions and some hot regions, but it seems to be at a rather unrealistically low level right now.

If the sun goes down and it is not summer, you would probably shiver if you go outside without a coat. If it is hot out and you don't have anything to protect you from the sun or other heat, you might have trouble too. I would like to recommend that every cold region gets 1 or 2 points colder and that every location without a nearby lit fire gets +1 cold point at night unless it is summer. When it is raining or windy where you are, it should get +1 as well.

If it is getting dark out, you could light up a campfire.

If it is raining or windy out, you might want to get inside where it is warm.

Granted, this might make some people complain because they can't fight in all metal gear and a cape else than fur, but it would be much more realistic and those people that wish to fight in such attire could put on a scarf after they are added to the list of things you can wear.

Fur clothes are practically a joke right now and the only use for campfires is to cook meat. We might as well improve the realism a little.

Afterthought:

Perhaps cloaks could be considered hot/cold protection +1 for all cloaks.

Edited by nathanstenzel

before people go all ape wild saying..

"but it's just a game..it's not real anyways"

so what... it wouldn't hurt if a game was more real at times, right??

i would love to have something like this.

i have so much crap in my stor gathering dust cause i don't HAVE to wear it all the time.

would make more uses for clothes and such :D

i have so much crap in my stor gathering dust cause i don't HAVE to wear it all the time.

You are female, right? And i guess, you have at least 50 pairs of leather boots in sto :D

Piper

yea good idea, fur clothes are useless now and then the finaly would get used (little more profit for mid lv manuers)

and at sume new fur clothes like polarbear fur clothes (extra cold protection), white dragon armor also should not have heat protection since ice dragons are polar creatures.

and maybe a some more variety by light modifiers on clothes like dark clothes should have a negative light modifier and white clothes a positive.

atm black clothes/armor are as visible as white clothes/armor (doesnt make sense to me :D)

I assume tailored as well as manufactured clothing will have uses if this is implemented?

That was what I was thinking. Anything that has a vest in addition to the normal layer of clothing and the hats too.

If we ever get skirts (not dresses) or shorts or short sleeved shirts, those would have -1 cold protection. brrrrrrr....not good clothes for when it is cold out.

"Why don't you take off your hat a stay a while?"

"I will stay a while, but my hat keeps my head warm. :)"

Sorry Kharn, but whats more important than adding a value to an already established skill like tailoring to give it a bigger "I must get some of this stuff" appeal as a marketable item/accessory? Are Tailoring or Manufacturing not important enough skills to deserve some work done on them?

I understand where you are coming from. However, I *doubt* if this is implemented that everyone will run out and buy tailoring goods.

But I do agree that Tailoring should be helped a bit :brooding:

Completely agree with that proposition. I always had this thought. Actually all the clothes are already ingame. This is typically the type of game where the weather could really play a more important role than it is now.

Stephane

If being realistic shouldnt places like damp caves have cold dmg ? but then again probs get the harvesters up in arms

I think it's a nice idea. Of course it would have to be done carefully and considering that players already wear clothes.

• Desert areas: Hats provide the only "doable" protection against the sun, possibly some tunics too; fur hats and helmets might need a penalty here; at night you will some small cold protection (again, tunics might be an option)
  • "Lava": Here the regular "heat protection gear" works
  • regular areas: I'd say you'd want to leave them as is, so as to not make things too complicated for beginners
  • cold areas: Decent cold protection during the day, better at night; a good number of snow/cold maps don't even have cold damage last time I checked.

I think that would be less drastic than the original suggestion and if you don't want people to complain about the hat in the desert, you could make it so that you simply don't regenerate material and ethereal points without it.

Oh and it would be nice to finally get server support for new weather while we're at it.

I think it's a nice idea. Of course it would have to be done carefully and considering that players already wear clothes.

• Desert areas: Hats provide the only "doable" protection against the sun, possibly some tunics too; fur hats and helmets might need a penalty here; at night you will some small cold protection (again, tunics might be an option)
  • "Lava": Here the regular "heat protection gear" works
  • regular areas: I'd say you'd want to leave them as is, so as to not make things too complicated for beginners
  • cold areas: Decent cold protection during the day, better at night; a good number of snow/cold maps don't even have cold damage last time I checked.

I think that would be less drastic than the original suggestion and if you don't want people to complain about the hat in the desert, you could make it so that you simply don't regenerate material and ethereal points without it.

Oh and it would be nice to finally get server support for new weather while we're at it.

a new protection stat called light protection can be used for the deserts

maybe if in the corner of the screen there was a thermometer and if the temperature went above or below certain temperatures heat or cold damage would be applied.

and i agree that weather should play a role in temeprature for ex.

storm = -5 degrees, daytime = +3 degrees, nighttime = -3 degrees etc...

@entropy if people complain thats there issue they just want the game to be easier. and why would this destroy the economy, if anything it would help because it would raise the value of all items with heat/cold protection.

The idea is not bad per se, but I'm afraid it falls under the "unnecessary realism" area, i.e. realistic details that don't improve significantly the game experience.

Besides, the tailoring skill was born as a very expensive and somewhat unrealistic (1 loom per fabric???) one, so requiring tailoring items for a realistic purpose doesn't seem logical to me.

Rehdon

This would get fireplaces used more, and maybe fireplaces inside houses could warm the house and you could heal slightly faster or it would give you a place to go afk safely.

We could always make the colder regions colder, so you'd have to wear more :(

I had a new idea and seek a bit in the forum and found this thread. It may be a little old..

What I like about Eternal Lands is that some maps have something special about them :

For example: I know

a map where the sun never goes up

a map whithout cooldown

a map that is no drop

maps with bad weather all time (thunder & rain) , some with good weather

I like it that maps have different enviroments where the player has to adapt to. So my idea is that we should have a very cold map where you can only survive ! when you wear a fur set + the fur cape. That would mean 15 cold damage :)

Radu, could we have a thermometer and/or server messages saying if your character is too hot or too cold?

Perhaps if there is a server message, it could suggest adjusting your clothing to according to the temperature. Even if the heat/cold damage is not adjusted on the maps, it would help prevent people from dropping dead in cold maps because they didn't know about cold damage. Repeat messages could have a delay of 5 damage cycles or maybe 5 minutes so that it would not get too spammy.

New engineering item.

Thermometer

1 mercury

2 vials

10 FE

random chance to break

I don't expect this to make it into the game, but we already have the ings, so it seemed natural.