Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MasterXan

The Curse of the XP

Alright, here is a place to discuss the failings of Windows XP.

To get things rolling, I'll tell you what I KNOW TO BE TRUE about Win XP. I want responses to ONLY CONTAIN WHAT YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT XP.

Ok, the first thing: It's the most expensive operating system to date. (if there is one more expensive, please tell me, but I haven't seen it yet)

Next: in order to use it, you have to register. Those who don't register within 24 hours of installing find their computer shuts down and won't load up.

Once you have registered, changing any major part in you computer requires you to re-register. Otherwise, your computer shuts down and won't load up. This was intended to be a way to curve the increasing rate of piracy, but since anybody can copy XP onto a computer and simply say they got a new computer, the system doesn't work at all. End result: you have to ask Microsoft for permission to upgrade your computer, and piracy is just as bad so the next Windows will be just as expensive.

Windows XP doesn't run DOS programs. Ok, some do work, and others you can get working with a lot of work, but XP will never run every DOS game I have wanted it to. I guess this isn't a failure for XP, since ME doesn't do well with DOS either, but XP is by far worse than any other Windows version.

XP ships out with almost every computer you buy these days, making it hard to avoid for those who want to do so.

Since XP is getting more and more users, virtually all viruses are written to work with XP or specifically for XP. This puts you at even more risk than ever before.

Win XP likes to do things behind the user's back. Many programs operate in the background, sucking the juice out of your computer games. Some of these are hard to stop from running when you don't want them to. In addition, many functions are hidden, harder to access, more difficult to use, or simply nonexistant. Like the control panel, system files, and other things. These two things (background programs and hiding every thing that could potentially ruin your computer) were intended to prevent the ignorant or stupid computer user from damaging anything, but because there is no way to turn this 'off' and allow for easier access, it gets very old for those of us who can use Windows well and want to change it's settings on a day-to-day basis. When I say this I'm refering to the professional version, which is immensely better in this regard than the home version, but still worse than any other Windows before. (although I must admit, for the target audience of normal people who don't change their settings, it is good. It's the small and vocal minority that suffer here)

Did you read the Windows user agreement carefully? By signing it you are giving permission for Microsoft to gather information about your computer. They agree to not get sensitive information (email addresses, passwords, credit card numbers, etc), and instead only get system settings "to better serve you". However, any Microsoft employee with half a brain and the right job description could legally go through your computer looking for things. If he found something interesting, he could go against Microsoft's agreement and steal it. Your firewall wouldn't be able to do anything because you installed the program he's using to access your computer, and unless a detailed investigation happened, nobody would know because it requires limited hacking ability and the employee was expected to have access anyway.

Anybody else have any information/comments they'd like to share?

Next: in order to use it, you have to register. Those who don't register within 24 hours of installing find their computer shuts down and won't load up.

this is not true, the system loads - in order for you to register..

Guest Toyminator

And a fucking bad thing is all the adware SHIT, you can't just delete it...you need to buy/dl/FUCK FUCK FUCK all the programs to delete it ARGGGGGGHHH

When I said it doesn't load up, I meant it wouldn't load up correctly. If I recall, it loads up enough to allow you to register and not much else.

As for the ads, get Ada-ware from lavasoft.de

The simple scan method is free, and it gets rid of almost all installed ad programs... if you pay for the pro version, you get a Ad-watch, which prevents said programs from running. I've never tested it with XP's own particular brand of ads, but it should work. Also, try a google search on browsers and see about any free ones...