Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2coolfool

Summoning

Just have a few ideas for summoning, to make "normal" summoning used again, as it is i don't think regular summoning is used a lot

- Reduce the high HP loss, as that makes hunting with summons quite impractical (maybe keep the high HP loss to PK maps only..)

- Add more summonable creatures, stuff like lions, panthers, leopards, ferans etc. would be good for a decent cost (~100gc)

- Rework recipes a bit, 10 hawk feathers for a hawk etc. make them quite pointless to summon

- A few summon-only creatures (and not with stones), that would be useful in PK.. one Leonard like creature that would have high attack but low def, good for dealing quick damage; and another with high health but low attack, sort of a tank

- Rework the nexus a bit, fluffies are animal nex 2, while orcs and bears are 3, it's a bit odd.

- Finally allow summoning during combat

its not used as much cuz its not worth it :P Why risk failing and losing ings to kill som1 who dont lose stuf if they die??

But good ideas anyway :devlish: my summon char would <3 em :)

Why just not make summoning required level (excluding the stones, those can remain recommended).

That way, you don't lose the expensive ingredients, and it'll probably be used more.

Why just not make summoning required level (excluding the stones, those can remain recommended).

That way, you don't lose the expensive ingredients, and it'll probably be used more.

Losing ingredients isn't the main problem (imho), they're gone anyway when you summon.. it's just that there's no real use for a normal summon.. why summon it if you can't hunt with it? And for PK stones are better anyway..

Quick tuppence of thoughts:

1. Let summoned creatures increase your perception range - you are aware of what your creatures can see - useful now we have limited perception and ranging. Limitations still apply however.
  2. Let experience earned by your summoned creatures go to your Summoning skill - previously suggested and rejected, but I still think its a viable option.

Let experience earned by your summoned creatures go to your Summoning skill - previously suggested and rejected, but I still think its a viable option.

Buy 10 gigant summoning stones, PM Me

Let experience earned by your summoned creatures go to your Summoning skill - previously suggested and rejected, but I still think its a viable option.

That's the sad thing you can buy them from the NPC for far less than anyone will mix them!

Edited by Raz

The summoning skill went into the creation of the stones, not the use of them, so no experience from "stoned" creatures!

Conversely, directly summoning creatures, if their actions gave summoning experience, would mean summon-and-use could be a better source of experience than making stones.

I guess that a perception bonus would apply for "stoned" creatures, though I think there should be some test-of-will if you use a stone to summon a creature that is too powerful for you to control...

That's the sad thing you can buy them from the NPC for far less than anyone will mix them!

I agree raz, perhaps npc should only buy summon stones and not sell them at all, or at a much higher price

Also would be nice to be able to summon while enganged in combat. there are many other threads with these ideas,

Out of curiosity, anyone notice in any of these other threads the reasons WHY it is that we dont currently have "true" summoning whilst engaged in combat?

Quick tuppence of thoughts:

1. Let summoned creatures increase your perception range - you are aware of what your creatures can see - useful now we have limited perception and ranging. Limitations still apply however.
  2. Let experience earned by your summoned creatures go to your Summoning skill - previously suggested and rejected, but I still think its a viable option.

It should be a fuzzy perception at low levels, I think.

Out of curiosity, anyone notice in any of these other threads the reasons WHY it is that we dont currently have "true" summoning whilst engaged in combat?

Because you can't fumble with ingredients and summon a creature while more or less vigorously hitting that guy in front of you (for the same reason, casting a spell while engaged in combat should come with a penalty).

(for the same reason, casting a spell while engaged in combat should come with a penalty).

It does, you can cast spells every second out off combat,but only every two seconds when in combat.

Edited by rauch

I *think* the technical reason is that summoning uses the manufacturing window...and you can't manufacture while engaged in combat ;P

But yes, it would be nice if we could summon in combat :P Removing the high level summoning stones from the NPCs is a nice idea too (or at least increase the price they're selling them at)

(for the same reason, casting a spell while engaged in combat should come with a penalty).

It does, you can cast spells every second out off combat,but only every two seconds when in combat.

Yeah as apposed to the usual 1 second spell cast time interval when not in combat. Unless Erma, you thinking of something like 10% weaker spells? Might be a more realistic idea but thats not for this topic :)

Just have a few ideas for summoning, to make "normal" summoning used again, as it is i don't think regular summoning is used a lot

- Reduce the high HP loss, as that makes hunting with summons quite impractical (maybe keep the high HP loss to PK maps only..)

- Add more summonable creatures, stuff like lions, panthers, leopards, ferans etc. would be good for a decent cost (~100gc)

- Rework recipes a bit, 10 hawk feathers for a hawk etc. make them quite pointless to summon

- A few summon-only creatures (and not with stones), that would be useful in PK.. one Leonard like creature that would have high attack but low def, good for dealing quick damage; and another with high health but low attack, sort of a tank

- Rework the nexus a bit, fluffies are animal nex 2, while orcs and bears are 3, it's a bit odd.

- Finally allow summoning during combat

So true. Particularly the animals that have a fur with currently no use (like black panther).

A few summon only creatures would be sweet - and by summon only I mean true summoning - not the stone mixing kind.

Maybe we can have an NPC that sells the new required books (at a price) after you complete the quest needed for it (as well as give you a small chunk of summon exp - we already have these for manu and crafting).

The nexus thing has always threw me off a bit. So adjusting a few of those (as well as some recipes) will be very welcome.

Because you can't fumble with ingredients and summon a creature while more or less vigorously hitting that guy in front of you (for the same reason, casting a spell while engaged in combat should come with a penalty).

Let summonables be added to the quickbar alongside spells. Alt+1 for restore, alt+2 for a rat.

Let summonables be added to the quickbar alongside spells. Alt+1 for restore, alt+2 for a rat.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48167

suggested. at least 3x now and I still think it's good. :)

If summoning is allowed while in combat, the best PK strategy would be to spam summon rats or rabbits to completely absorb an attack from your enemy. This has been discussed time and time again. Unless summoners want to deal with a 5 second cooldown for normal summons, I don't think this is a good idea. The summon stones are at least expensive enough where a player will at least think twice before unleashing an army of monsters. The 3 second cooldown on summon stones also helps (though increasing this to 5 would promote more strategy instead of players fighting a zoo).

A player able to spam summon his own rats can divert all damage from something like a giant or dragon while engaged in melee combat, just by repeatedly summoning small creatures. A "weak" player (even with a reasonable enough summon level not to crit fail lots of summons) should not be able to stand toe to toe with a dragon like that, imo.

Unless summoners want to deal with a 5 second cooldown for normal summons, I don't think this is a good idea.

5 second cooldown during combat for all summons would be good, imho.

Anyway, this is only one suggestion out of many, the others would get summoning used more than by allowing summoning during combat (which wouldn't happen too much, as summoning is mana-expensive and that's needed in combat). Why not focus on those? :bow_arrow:

Edited by 2coolfool

If summoning is allowed while in combat, the best PK strategy would be to spam summon rats or rabbits to completely absorb an attack from your enemy. This has been discussed time and time again. Unless summoners want to deal with a 5 second cooldown for normal summons, I don't think this is a good idea. The summon stones are at least expensive enough where a player will at least think twice before unleashing an army of monsters. The 3 second cooldown on summon stones also helps (though increasing this to 5 would promote more strategy instead of players fighting a zoo).

A player able to spam summon his own rats can divert all damage from something like a giant or dragon while engaged in melee combat, just by repeatedly summoning small creatures. A "weak" player (even with a reasonable enough summon level not to crit fail lots of summons) should not be able to stand toe to toe with a dragon like that, imo.

Don't forget each summon uses mana - even a minute of summoning rabbits (at 5 second intervals) would be 60 mana used just to save 6 hits!. I guess people need mana enough that this would be a handicap.

As for a 5 second handicap - no problem - make it 10 seconds - but at least make it possible.

I wouldn't mind a 5 sec cooldown either when doing true summoning.

I guess now with tiger/bear/spider stones bypassing MI, you could put a 5s+ on those stones too :~)

I guess now with tiger/bear/spider stones bypassing MI, you could put a 5s+ on those stones too :~)

Huh? :P You mean you can get mana burned by the bear even if you have MI? or I misunderstood?