Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ateh

Horses

My ideas to make horses more used to start with ( nevermind that you cant do anything while you are on one )

Reason why I think nobody is using them :

Creature Food !! Its not fun , and you are spending alot of GC on something that has very little use

My suggestion to improve usage of Horses :

Create Stables in EL . Not sure how many, but not alot , maybe 3 spread out across C1 & C2

To own a horse you must first pay the Stables NCP say 40kgc and the GC leaves the game - this gets you a horse but under certain conditions ----

Instead of using creature food, the Horse gets fed at the stables ( like any other RL horse does ), so you must pay the Stable NCP a flat fee of 15kgc a week to keep the horse there. This GC leaves the game permanently.

You can take the Horse out at any time from the stables, or you can still purchase the Horse whistles for 3kgc should you wish to call your horse from afar.

With this suggestion, not only does ALL GC relating to horses leave the game entirely ( yay a money sink ) but it also adds realism to what its like having a horse.

Feel free to poke holes in my idea , and add to it , but do it constructively , and think of other ways it horses would be more useful ( like being able to range while riding )

#edit ok fine i stated you are spending GC for something that isnt useful with creature food, and the way of the stables would probably work out more expensive depending on how often you used a horse , but id just like to see more Horses out and about :)

Edited by Ateh

It's better than using CF I'll give you that. Expensive, but I'm sure people would do it.

I like this idea a lot both for the practical usage reasons and for aesthetic ones, I think this is great. I don't use my horse whistles because I don't see the point to waste them because I am going to be too busy to remember to keep stocking up on creature food.

I like it, but horses can normally carry additional stuff than humans, right? so should they have some emu bonus? also they normally gallop pretty fast compared to there normal walk. Also like you said, back in the days of old many people would range and use heavy two handed weapons on a horse. So imo you should be able to fight with your horse but your horse should have a certain amount of HP. Also maybe more than 1 person could ride on a horse, or mabye getting off the horse and then able to get back on?

I dunno probably all suggested before.

Edited by Kalix

forgot to mention if you dont pay the weekly stable fee to the NCP , you loose your horse and have to pay the initial price for a Horse again ........

I use the horses quite a lot, and the use of creature food doesn't even come close to the amount of food you use as a mule. I can go through all of C2 and use not even 50 CF. Sure, that that still amounts to an approximate total cost of 7k for just that, but it's really not all that bad. And it's only 50 EMU, it's not like you won't be able to carry along anything else.

There aren't that many occasions currently where a horse is really practical, as you will dismount as soon as you enter a house or a cave. But I have found some really good uses for the horsewhistles, and besides that.. it's fun. And fun, to me, is priceless!

The stables idea, especially with a possible weekly fee to be paid wouldn't work in my opinion. Go on vacation for 2 weeks and you lose your rights to the horse.. and can start over again? I doubt that would really take off.

So to me, the horses are just fine the way they are at this point, no need for such a drastic change. Just my opinion :)

One more thing and this is NOT meant to flame and just a general observation/question: why do we need for everything ingame to be 'realistic'? Do you have someone hiding Ice Dragons and Yeti in your basement every other day as well? It's a phantasy game, right?

Edited by Dilly

The stables idea, especially with a possible weekly fee to be paid wouldn't work in my opinion. Go on vacation for 2 weeks and you lose your rights to the horse.. and can start over again? I doubt that would really take off.

Stables function perfectly in other games, hosting not only horses, but even tamed dragons :) The fee is being automatically substracted from your storage on a weekly basis and nothing disappears until you have a positive cash balance. It is very convenient solution and a great gold sink. If introduced I'd finally get a horse perhaps ....

How often do you go on vacation for 2 weeks?

I find it much more annoying to lose the horse every day for practical reasons and reasons out of my control..I want to go inside and mix or mine, I need to go pick my daughter up from school, I forgot to stock up on creature food while I am digging through logs or helping somebody...

Either an automatic withdrawal or an npc at the stalls such as we have for the lottery where you have to pay once a week...

Also the stables would need to be invasion-safe too since really they are still outside maps (like outhouses).

@Ateh: about ranging while riding, its been suggested a zillion times, I am pretty sure the conversation came up somewhere and the reason it doesn't exist at this point is because there are technical problems with that. I will ask for a bit more specific and definitive answer though and add it here when I get an answer.

Make them more useful. Like being able to fight from Horse back, will really get these coming out more. Stable is a good idea, the costs seem a bit high.

Also, you could add a new skill. Horse riding or something, to let your character be able to fight from horse back. To stop you falling off, when swing the sword, etc...

Ofc Horses would then need Hit Points. But you could then allow the development of new items, such as horse armour. They did this for the knights in the middle ages. But I am wandering away from the basic idea here. :evilgrin:

If you were able to fight from horseback it would only be the horse fighting-and not you yourself fighting. Ranging *might*-and that's a Big BIG *MIGHT*-be possible in the future, don't count on it though.

Well if you want to fight off of a horse why not make it horse to horse only such as Ye Ole Joust etc or range each other. Would also open up option for saddles and horse armor (barding) and so on.//which could fall under a number of skill classes or be a cross skill item.i bet that would kick up the demand for horses to a whole new level and offer a chance for events and tourny's.

if this all been suggested before id like a mulligen on this post please i couldnt narrow it down on search function :evilgrin:

I totally understand horses are a new addition and like most other things in EL will probably evolve over time , and yeh ranging is likely on alot of peoples wish list when it comes to Horses, that wasnt the main beef of the topic for me though , its more about getting them used as they are now

about the cost of 15k a week to an NCP , looking at Dillys post about wandering around C2 for a couple of hours and spending 7k on creature food, 15k a week sounds like a bargain to be able to have access to a Horse at any time you want , plus all that gc leaves the game , which is desirable for teh economy

the stable idea, if you wanted to go on holiday or knew you were taking time off EL you could talk to the NCP and cancel your ownership , saving yourself 15k a week

its just a shame to have them in the game looking so ...... Horse like, and yet seeing barely a soul use them

If you were able to fight from horseback it would only be the horse fighting-and not you yourself fighting. Ranging *might*-and that's a Big BIG *MIGHT*-be possible in the future, don't count on it though.

You could always give them a -10 def penalty or something...

Why don't you comment on the stables thingy?

I know there are stables all over C1 and C2 already, like the ones in DP where ants like to go very often, why not use them and implement this? I am all for it.

Why don't you comment on the stables thingy?

I know there are stables all over C1 and C2 already, like the ones in DP where ants like to go very often, why not use them and implement this? I am all for it.

Because I'm not the one who implements game play additions. And I really don't care either way-I don't play the game :whistle:

Instead of making it a weekly fee it can be after 15 hours of actual playing time or something you will get a message saying "would you like 15kgc to be deducted from storage" and then you would get an option to click yes or no (you might get a 1 hour warning or something to let you know that you should have the money in storage).

P.S. if you use the eye icon on the horse it can say "you have used the horse for <insert amount of time here>"

Edited by eliguttman

that could work well , if you were charged a Stable Fee for the cumulative hours you had spent logged into EL , and not entirely dictated by Mon-Fri = 7 days

but doing it that way , 15kgc for a cumulative week sounds like alot of hours ........... perhaps every 72 cumulative playing hours sounds more reasonable , 15kgc for that ??

kind of gets around the whole '' im not playing EL right now but 15k a week keeps leaving my sto ''

and although initially dis heartened by Roja's 2nd response to this thread, at least it wasn't a big no .........

And there is a stable in ws near the book seller, why just leave them for looks? Honestly I dont care about the part where you need to use creature food, although that is annoying, but I cant think of more than 2 uses for em. For looks and if im not wrong you go a tiny bit faster on them. Honestly I dont know why anyone would want to use them unless they got gc to throw away and to look nice.

I think it would be nice if you could get off and back on so lets say you can ride the horse to the mine, get off harvest the coal, then get back on and ride back to sto.

Also the horses should go faster, back in the medieval times people wouldn't ride horses for looks they would ride them for speed.

Edited by Kalix

I think the trouble with getting off a horse ( lol nearly made a typo there ) and leaving it outside a mine would be having 25-30 horses sat outside a mine entrance would be like horse spam

Plus , im not sure how the server would know whose horse is whose ? Like bags for example , cant claim them in any way , and I dont think horses are programmed as seperate entities , as in , the horse is a part of you when you are using it, not a seperate thing like a sword for example , which you can leave on the ground or trade with someone ........ but i might be wrong

But instead of leaving them outside you would still have your whistles , its just that as it stands it is going to cost you 3kgc every time

I was really trying to make this suggestion to make Horses more user friendly as they are now , with all thier limitations of no harvesting , no entering mines , which is why the stables idea suits them pretty well , because you pay a flat fee to be able to own a horse at any time , just for fun and looks, and you dont need to spend an excessive amount of GC for the priveledge of some limited use fun #EDIT it still means you cant enter mines /harvest / fight with them but hey at least more people would be using them by the sounds of the respones to this thread

What they might evolve into in the future comes secondary to this imo

Edited by Ateh

Well what I was thinking is when you get your horse it could have a name like you have a floating name over your head that says aTeh then your horse could have a floating name Horse aTeh

But like you said they probz aren't separate entry's

And how about after you get off them, only you can see them?

It's a money sink and was designed as such. On another note, I saw someone mention Jousting from horses. These ARE players fighting not just the horse fighting. Could this be possible in a future update? It would introduce new clothes, armor and weapons and make the horses more used. The following Pie chart was made by a guildie.

pie_ch10.jpg

*Edit:fixed This is to These ARE.

Edited by popeye

Ok random idea open to tweaks and suggestions: :D

How about giving the horses a health bar of say 240, this health would then decrease at a rate of 1 per min.If you enter a house/cave etc the horse turns back into a whistle and is put in your inventory, and while there it still loses 1 health per min.Health reach's zero horse p00f's

To heal your horse you would have to take it to a stable npc, where he/she would give you two options:

Fast Heal: health points to be healed x 10 = Gc cost ... which would be an instant heal

or

Normal Heal: health points to be healed x 3 = Gc cost ... these would heal at the rate of 2 per min (which would take a while but players can have more than 1 whistle to use)

The Npc would act like a storage npc and the horses would be turned into whistles for the duration of their stay (might be nice to have 1 or 2 NPC horses there for visual effect)

Might be an idea to have whistles only be allowed to be stored at a stable and not an normal npc (horse hazmat :P )

Imo would be a nice GC sink without being overly expensive and make the horses which have been a great addition to the game much more used and worthwhile (imo at the moment all the hard work that went into programming them etc is wasted atm)

Edit: then maybe the differant types of horses could have varying degrees of health ie: Black horse 300 health, but whistle cost X amount more gc to buy and stable charges X amount more to heal etc

Thoughts/flames etc etc

Edited by conavar

OMG pie chart !!!!!! now were getting serious w00t w0000t

and yeh I also like Conavars idea about reducing HP over time, a horse with 240 HP would give 4hrs of gameplay and before that time is up you just need to visit a Stables and either refresh your horses stamina to take it out again or put your horse ( whiste ) in the stables .......

great idea which not only incorperates the use of stables being a GC sink for the use of horses but also address' one of the shortcomings of horses atm, that they p00f after you get off them

#edit fixed some grammar because i cant help but do that

#edit 2 Its bloody obvious people WANT to use horses ,and they want to see them out and about as a great addition to EL's world , its just that as they exist now they are kinda wasting away as a forgotten gimmick , when I went on test server to test them , VOTD was crowded with people on horses and everyone LOVED them , but after final introduction and the way you use them, people kinda said '' sigh ''

Edited by Ateh

Ok random idea open to tweaks and suggestions: :D

How about giving the horses a health bar of say 240, this health would then decrease at a rate of 1 per min.If you enter a house/cave etc the horse turns back into a whistle and is put in your inventory, and while there it still loses 1 health per min.Health reach's zero horse p00f's

To heal your horse you would have to take it to a stable npc, where he/she would give you two options:

Fast Heal: health points to be healed x 10 = Gc cost ... which would be an instant heal

or

Normal Heal: health points to be healed x 3 = Gc cost ... these would heal at the rate of 2 per min (which would take a while but players can have more than 1 whistle to use)

The Npc would act like a storage npc and the horses would be turned into whistles for the duration of their stay (might be nice to have 1 or 2 NPC horses there for visual effect)

Might be an idea to have whistles only be allowed to be stored at a stable and not an normal npc (horse hazmat :P )

Imo would be a nice GC sink without being overly expensive and make the horses which have been a great addition to the game much more used and worthwhile (imo at the moment all the hard work that went into programming them etc is wasted atm)

Edit: then maybe the differant types of horses could have varying degrees of health ie: Black horse 300 health, but whistle cost X amount more gc to buy and stable charges X amount more to heal etc

Thoughts/flames etc etc

I like this idea, only thing i dont like is that it turns back into a whistle, imo you should be able to get off and on the horse and it would be invisable to everyone but you while your off. Altho that isnt needed. But I still think you should be able to range while on a horse and when someone targets you in pk they could target you OR the horse, but if the horse dies you take some damage to from falling off it.

But the potions shouldnt be over expensive, mabye 5k for fast heal and 3.5k for normal heal, and the potions shouldnt be makeable.