Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New engine test 5, mainly for Linux users

The instructions are the same, file name is the same, please redownload it and retest, and let me know if it solved your problems, if it didn't solve your problems, if everything is fine, or if there are other issues

Note: The windows version is the same as the test 4, but the Linux one is newer, so if you had problems before, please try it again.

First, please only try it if you understand what I am going to say and can read and understand English.

Steps:

Download it from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/map_viewer_release_1.zip

Unzip it in a NEW directory, do NOT put it in your EL directory. Make sure you have permissions to read/write from there.

Depending on your OS, run the program (if you are on linux, change the binary permisisons).

The Linux binary is map_viewer

Please report any problems, along with the system specs and the FPS you get.

There are a few known problems that should NOT be reported:

1. Many objects have bad normals, and the light is weird.

2. When moving the camera, sometimes the ground tiles in the distance will apear different than those close by.

3. Some objects that should not be transparent are transparent.

4. Some objects, especially ground objects, have black/dark edges.

5. The water is black.

Keys and usage:

RMB rotates the camera.

Scroll wheel moves the camera back and forth.

LMB moves the camera.

N toggles between night and day.

To change the maps, you can try F1 (previous map) and F2 (next map).

F8 adds 100 rabbits, F9 adds a dragon. Pressing those keys multiple times will add more rabbits/dragons on top of eachother.

You can also change the maps by editing the configuration file and edit the line: map = Isla_Prima

You can use any map file name, such as:

map = cave1.elm

Have fun testing, and please remember to report any problems that I did not mention, plus the frame rate and system specs, and the OS used.

Important: If you have problems, edit the config file and add instancing=1

Hello Ent,

I tried this on a Gentoo box: when after makeing the map_viewer executable i get the following errors:

zathras@epsilon-3 ~/temp-el/map_viewer_release_1 $ ./map_viewer
./map_viewer: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./map_viewer)
./map_viewer: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./libcal3d.so.12)

Could it be libboost should be compiled with the same version of GCC as my glibc?

gcc version 4.1.2

I hope it helps a bit?

Greetings

Zathras

I tried this on a Gentoo box: when after makeing the map_viewer executable i get the following errors:

./map_viewer: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./map_viewer)
./map_viewer: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./libcal3d.so.12)

I have the very same error on Debian Etch. I was planning to upgrade to Lenny anyway, i'll post back results on Lenny.

Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Nvidia 9800GT 512MB

Intel Quad Core Q6600

2GB DDR2 800 RAM

Getting ~400fps as soon as the client starts on IP, changing maps gets up to 1600fps on misc_map

On misc_map (used as an example) each dragon is taking away approximately 80 FPS (so 5 is taking ~400fps)

No problems so far

I have the very same error on Debian Etch. I was planning to upgrade to Lenny anyway, i'll post back results on Lenny.

After upgrade to Lenny, everything is all good.

I have ~300 FPS at start once Isla Prima is displayed.

- Debian/Lenny

- Gnome

- 2.6.26-1-686

- NVidia GeForce 9500GT - 512MoDDR2

- Video driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29

:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 15

model name : Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

stepping : 13

cpu MHz : 1200.000

cache size : 2048 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 2

core id : 0

cpu cores : 2

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 10

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

bogomips : 4420.22

clflush size : 64

power management:

It works great now!

I get 600-2000 FPS while zoomed in. One bunch of Rabbits and 10-12 Dragons reduces it to about 400, and viewing the whole map at once takes it down to ~200.

It's working fine for me now, though I get really low fps; about 1-2 fps when fully zoomed out and ~15 fps when i zoom in.

I am using Debian Lenny (kernel 2.6.26-1-686) on an old Athlon 900 Mhz with the following graphics card:

Video card: GeForce4 MX 440/AGP/3DNOW!

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.07

It's pretty old hardware. New box coming this week (just waiting for the rest of the hardware to be shipped ^.^)

Could it be libboost should be compiled with the same version of GCC as my glibc?

gcc version 4.1.2

Same here (except that due to a different architecture the path is slightly different), stable boost version is 1.34, so no use emerging that, since 1.37 is also in portage, I soon figured I have more interesting things to learn than how to remove the hard mask for a particular version of a package.

Is there any reason for using these particular versions of libstdc++ and boost or will older/newer versions work as well (in the future)?

Still crashes, with or without instancing = 1

debug.log

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3188.
[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3189.
[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3190.
[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3191.
[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3192.
[engine/source/scenemanager.cpp:263] Done loading map file 'maps/startmap.elm'.
[map_viewer/main.cpp:372] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(4:invalid_parameter) at file 'engine/source/framebuffer.cpp' in function 'check_status' line 247: Framebuffer status error 36061.

Piper

Ubuntu Linux 8.10.

Video card: GeForce 7600 GS/AGP/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.82

Pentium 4 2.4 MHz.

Startup IP view 160 fps

No rabits 10 dragon 130 fps

No dragon 100 rabits 100 fps

No dragon 1000 rabits 20 fps

Whitestone takes ages switch to/from with the viewer unresponsive for a few seconds. However I get ~120 fps on default view.

Switching to night view causes the viewer to exit on a few maps. i.e. TD magic school gardens. The debug.log file shows:

[map_viewer/main.cpp:372] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(2:item_not_found) at file 'engine/include/rstartree.hpp' in function 'remove' line 547: Element 14 is not in the tree.

I'm testing on Slackware 12.1

Using a Compaq Presario CQ50 laptop.

2Gb RAM.

nVidia 8200M graphics chipset with 512Mb RAM allocated to it, and using the 177.82 version of their driver.

Colour depth is 24.

Resolution is 1280*800.

I get 75FPS on Isla Prima when the map viewer opens.

Introducing 1 dragon takes it down to 74FPS, and introducing 100 rabbits as well as the dragon takes it down to 65FPS.

I don't notice any peculiarities with the rendering.

However, sometimes the left and right scrolling on the map reverses itself.

i.e, the mouse action to move the map left and right inverts.

If I scroll in or out it sometimes corrects itself again, and then will hit another weird spot where it will inverse.

Other than that all looks fine.

The_Piper, are you using compiz or something similar? Do you have the latest drivers? What BPP mode are you using?

Compiz is turned off, because it caused trouble earlier (crashed EL and some other stuff)

(Appearance preferences / Visual Effects / -> None)

NVIDIA 177.82 is the latest recommended driver by the Ubuntu system update, they dont have any newer (but the NVIDIA website has one, but i guess, there is a reason why Ubuntu doesnt recommend it), and its like 8-12 weeks old.

BPP is 24 (16,7 million colors).

Piper

Works like a charm, in fact, works much faster than previous tests :D

Some stats without rabbits or dragons:

Isla Prima: 104fps zoomed out, and 136fps zoomed in

Mocraven Marsh: 44fps zoomed out, and ~51fps zoomed in

Kusamura: 30fps zoomed out, and ~37fps zoomed in

With three rabit groups and three dragons (3 times F8 and 3 times F9 ) it works well, frames per second just goes down a bit but it's not critical. It also depends a lot of where I'm looking to.

By the way, it just consumed a lot CPU (91-95% on my laptop) which causes my laptop to heat a bit (fans turn on, etc). It also happens with current client... I in fact limit FPS in current client to avoid this. Is this normal? I believe I began to see this behavior after 1.7.0 release.

Debian Testing

[dmi@cyrano map_viewer_release_1]$ uname -a

Linux cyrano 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15 18:15:07 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Dell Inspiron 6400

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

GL_VERSION = 2.1.7769 Release

Core 2 Duo @2ghz

I get a solid black window with 176 or so fps. The game doesn't crash, but I can't see anything on the screen.

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:458] OpenGL function 'glMultiTexCoord3iv': found[engine/source/opengl.cpp:493] OpenGL function 'glSecondaryColor3bv': found[engine/source/opengl.cp[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_texture_float': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_object': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc': missingp:523] OpenGL function 'glWindowPos3s': found

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:493] OpenGL function 'glSecondaryColor3bv': found[engine/source/opengl.cp[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_texture_float': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_object': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc': missingp:523] OpenGL function 'glWindowPos3s': found

[engine/source/opengl.cp[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_texture_float': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_texture_float': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_sRGB': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_vertex_array_object': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_map_buffer_range': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_half_float_pixel': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_half_float_vertex': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_NV_conditional_render': missinger4fvARB': found

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_fragment_program': found

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_EXT_texture_sRGB': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_vertex_array_object': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_map_buffer_range': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_half_float_pixel': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_ARB_half_float_vertex': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1100] OpenGL extension 'GL_NV_conditional_render': missing

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1446] Supported OpenGL extensions: GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object.

[engine/source/opengl.cpp:1450] OpenGL maximum anisotropic filter: 0.

[engine/source/scenequality.cpp:96] Can`t use reflections, because 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_object' extension is missing.

[engine/source/scenequality.cpp:159] Can`t use alpha to coverage without anti-aliasing.

[engine/source/scenemanager.cpp:238] Loading map file 'maps/anitora.elm'.

Fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10.

EXTENDED EXCEPTION(7:internal_error) at file 'engine/source/resource.cpp' in function 'load' line 66: std::exception 'basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid' while loading arb-vertex-program 'arb-vertex-program/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster'.

[engine/source/scenemanager.cpp:263] Done loading map file 'maps/startmap.elm'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file 'shader/arbvp-96/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:46] Checking archive './data.zip'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:50] Loading file 'shader/arbvp-96/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' in archive './data.zip'.

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:245] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/arbvp-96/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' build starts.

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:265] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/arbvp-96/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' uniforms:

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:269] [name] color_id [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 1 [index] 5 [instanced] 0

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:269] [name] worldviewproj [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_mat4x4 [array_size] 1 [index] 1 [instanced] 0

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:272] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/arbvp-96/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' instances: 1

[map_viewer/main.cpp:372] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(7:internal_error) at file 'engine/source/resource.cpp' in function 'load' line 66: std::exception 'basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid' while loading arb-vertex-program 'arb-vertex-program/default/shadow_caster/shadow_caster'.

Edited by popeye