Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Talixim

Flee Bug

When PvPing today we had a fleeing issue.

Our characters would stay locked in combat still kicking and punching while no "You failed to flee" message popped up on the screen.

We figured out how to fix it though, just cast remote heal but don't actually use the spell. It automatically makes you flee.

It all depends, when we were pvping during the scholars day we were in a guildmap then. It would happen constantly there but when we pvped later in KF it seemed to happen much less often.

I have talked to other people about it as well and they have the same results at times, I think it just randomly happens at times. I will try and reproduce it tomorrow when I am online.

Use teleport to portals spell when you are fighting if flee bug comes, it works :brooding:

-Kaddy

Edited by Kaddy

This flee bug been in game that i've known for about 3 months or so. sometimes you don't get the flee msg, and you need to cast a spell then press home key etc to flee again.

This bug is much much older... maybe since the beggining even. Here:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16972

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29758

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6282

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5539

It was reported many times, but apparently it's still here- maybe because it probably can't be reproduced in an easy and reliable way. I'll let myself copy one of my post from the earlier threads (dated Nov 4 2007, 10:11 AM):

Yes, I experienced this bug as well. It never happens during training with monsters, but very often at pvp. The "flee curse" usually strucks one person, the other has no problems with fleeing.

Having 30+ "you failed to flee" messages is nothing special, it happens to me as well. The problem is when you try to flee (both home button and clicking away) and NOTHING happens - no messages, no change in animation (normally when you try to flee your character "freezes" and stops attacking) - and you can't flee at all.

For me casting heal (not restore) seems to help - sometimes a few tries are needed. When the partner starts to flee the flee messages usually start to appear and the animation shows up as well.

It appears that when unaffected partner is trying to flee as well the server starts to record flee attepts for both people, but if a "cursed" person is the only one trying to flee it doesn't.

Edited by Lotheneil

I think the "flee bug" situation may be happening because the automatic counter-attack takes precedence over the flee attempt.

I think also that anyone that is depending on the home key to trigger fleeing may think they are getting more flee bug occurrences than they are. I believe that the client (and maybe the server also) are stripping out some repeated duplicate move attempts (and the home key is generating a move command to the server). When I'm trying to flee I alternate between the home key and a mouse click to avoid this problem.

I think the "flee bug" situation may be happening because the automatic counter-attack takes precedence over the flee attempt.

I think also that anyone that is depending on the home key to trigger fleeing may think they are getting more flee bug occurrences than they are. I believe that the client (and maybe the server also) are stripping out some repeated duplicate move attempts (and the home key is generating a move command to the server). When I'm trying to flee I alternate between the home key and a mouse click to avoid this problem.

The client does have some Anti-Spam features to reduce the amount of data sent to the server. When those were put in, the about of data sent and received dropped in half (because the servers response could also be reduced).

Pressing the Home key to train has never been a supported feature, but allowed. Thats not why the Home key is in the game.

What Entropy needs is a consistant way to generate a problem to allow him to be able to track down bugs. Without that information, it's a low priority because of the amount of time needed to go through the code to look for all possible issues. That's why he's asking if you can reproduce it.

Mouse, Home key... flee bug exists no matter which you do.

Lotheneil described it perfectly... i'll just re-state it based on my experience;

It only happens with PvP.

It only happens to one of the people PvP'ing, not both.

Until some undetermined events, the person who cannot flee will remain the same (i.e. it will always be person A who cant attempt to flee, the bug doesn't randomly swap to person B ).

Casting certain spells will sometimes allow you to attempt to flee again (i can only confirm it working with tptr; i use that spell because it costs me no essence or mana, as i just get the "Cant cast this in combat" message)... and then, often i will cast tptr, i will then be able to attempt to flee 2-3 times, and then will no longer be able to attempt to flee again, and will have to cast tptr again, then continue trying.

Edited by Korrode

I too have experienced this bug in pvp. I never researched it to the degree others have, but my impression was always that it was somehow related to whoever had last cast a restore. So like Korrode and his tptr, casting restore may sometimes have a similar effect in fixing the bug (or perhaps transferring it to the other person). You're then good for a while until something bring is back again.

(or perhaps transferring it to the other person).

My experiences have been that it never 'transfers', to make it 'transfer' some other events that are not doable as a part of the PvP session have to occur (maybe such as both people changing maps a few times, or both logging off for some time, etc.).

When i "have the flee bug", maybe 1/3 of the commenced engagements i'll still be able to attempt to flee without casting anything, but my partner will always be able to flee... so just saying that from my experience, it's intermittent, but doesn't ever 'transfer' mid PvP session.

EDIT:

Can you reproduce the flee bug?

Yes i can, pretty much every time i pvp myself or my partner will have the bug... it's been a long time since i've had a PvP session where neither people had 'the bug'.

Edited by Korrode