Eternal Lands Official Forums
RunTime

Story Bot Idea

Hey all, I am a hobby writer I guess you could say, I have written quiet a number of short stories and am currently working on a Fantasy Novel. I have told quite a few stories in #GM in the various guilds I have been in. The stories being everything from Bio's from characters, Stories of the guilds themselves, Personal stories, adventure stories with fictional EL characters, a few comedies, and a romance story or two.

Knowing this here is my Idea: a Bot that will sit and tell stories in a set channel that will be agreed upon by Radu. I know we already have a story bot in EL, Prattler, but this bot will be slightly different. Say your training and no one chatting in your guild, or you mixing a large batch of something or harvesting 50k silver or whatever. You join lets say for now #jc 76, you pm the bot "/botname List" the bot will then PM you a list of stories, you then PM him with the story you want and he will start the story in the channel. Each post of text will be about 5-10 seconds apart to give you time to read the post before he continues. The stories will be about people/places/things in EL mostly, there will be stories about players and guilds active in the EL community, Fictional EL fantasy with characters I come up with, and a few select Sci-Fi, Funny, and other genres I choose that have nothing to do with el. I eventually plan on offering (If Ent approves) for the bot to join a guild for a set time limit (No cost from those wanting this) and tell stories in #GM if the guild leaders want. Also when I have the time in RL I will offer the EL community to submit a story idea, I.G. PlayerA's wants a story of his raising in the EL ranks, or a Romance between PlayerA and PlayerB (Will not write stories above a PG-13 rating ) Once the story completed if the person that asked for it approves of it, it will be added to the bot.

The stories would be varied and over time some will be added/removed. As my skill grows so will the stories. The stories will probably take anywhere from 15-30+ minutes to read, depending on your lvl and what speed the bot is set on. This bot will be free to the community if you all want it.

I want to know what you all think of this idea, any comments suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated.

~Matt (A.K.A. RunTime_Error) You can find more info about me and my writing at www.TheObserversLibrary.com

P.S. Here are some links to stories I have written and saved, due to computer issues I have lost most of the ones I have written in EL. Two are about stuff in EL and the other two aren't

Selena: Fantasy Fiction

The Ranger; Case File 1, Real Life Fiction.

RunTime the Swift: A Story of my character when I returned to the game after a break

Llynara and the Dreaded Hawk: A story written about a friend when the Hawks where first brought ingame

I think this is a great idea. I have spent time in prattler's channel and some of the stuff is good, but after a while, song lyrics and FAQs get a bit boring. The idea of some fresh new stories especially ones about people we know and the land we play in, would be a lot of fun. I also like the idea of having my story told one day my "15 minutes of fame" so to speak. I would definitely spend time in the channel. Would there be a mute or something to prevent someone from interrupting the story with spam or conversation?

Shea

I dont think there is a way for a mute button, but no one will be able except for me to stop a story once its started

I am not sure how that will work, because you can only join 3 channel at once, so if there are two people requesting different storries, how will they be kept separate?

#jc 80 @@80 line x #lc 80

Also the story will be sent at a slow rate by default to prevent spam

I am not sure how that will work, because you can only join 3 channel at once, so if there are two people requesting different storries, how will they be kept separate?

The bot could tell general stuff in channel and send the stories via PM's. Maybe it tells a random story in channel and player requested stories in PM's.

But the more ppl use the service of the bot, the more the server gets spammed.

But i wont expect hundreds of thousands of players using that service. Look at EternalTrivia, usually 0-5 ppl are in channel 124 and playing with the bot.

I would expect the same amount of players for the story teller bot too.

Another idea might be an EL Radio station, a mix of prattler and such a story telling bot.

Players can submit stories/songs/poems/whatever in a thread in forums, a "radio station" team has a look at them and add them to the bot's data base.

Players could request songs/stories/poems via PM from the bot, all requests go into a queue and the bot sings/tells them one request after the other.

Of course with limitations, only 3-5 requests per day per player.

For such a feature, it would be nice to have a read only channel, so the bot doesnt get interrupted with all those "lolz" and "u sux" and such :D

Piper

Prattler is similar right? I think its a nice idea, though admittedly, due to client constraints, I'd be probably be in that channel with my alt.

Prattler is similar right? I think its a nice idea, though admittedly, due to client constraints, I'd be probably be in that channel with my alt.

Prattler is similar but you can't choose which stories you want to hear, and I dont think his stories are updated any more. I will spend some of my free time to keep adding stories and making existing stories better. A incentive for players to check him every once in a while, see whats new :( . Writing is a great personal hobby for me, so never know what I will come up with next :D

Prattler is similar but you can't choose which stories you want to hear, and I dont think his stories are updated any more. I will spend some of my free time to keep adding stories and making existing stories better. A incentive for players to check him every once in a while, see whats new :( . Writing is a great personal hobby for me, so never know what I will come up with next :D

If people get me some good stories, I'd be willing to add to Prattler. One difference here is that I don't have time to add a request feature to Prattler.

A roleplaying radio station (real radio station, by streaming) would be great, but we can't provide the bandwidth for it (and some DJs would be needed, and licenses for the played music, etc.).

A roleplaying radio station (real radio station, by streaming) would be great, but we can't provide the bandwidth for it (and some DJs would be needed, and licenses for the played music, etc.).

That would make my year, i'm a music lover, and a streamer in the game i play almost every day would be sweet. Maybe we could raise some money etc to get this idea going?

I think it is a great idea..

Maybe not for me, this old stick in the mud, but I can see many people enjoying this to the full extent. I think it is perfect for those that enjoy roleplaying/storys etc...

AKA Starlite

I think its a great idea, not all will have the time to use it but it will add yet another dimension to the game. In particular I like the idea of using EL chars and guilds within the story line. Also love the idea of a music channel too.

I like the idea, although I must say that when afk (or semi-afk) I usually do other stuff (like some work ...) so I don't know if I'd be reading stuff in the EL client window; possibly yes if it's really good stuff.

On an slightly unrelated subject, there have been several threads about invasions in the Suggestions forum: one which I'd like the devs to take into consideration was about tying part of the invasions to conflicts/wars among the EL Gods: it would be nice to have good narrative about this, adding depth to the game (this is where RunTime could be of help :wub: ) and making invasions more interesting, f.i. with effects on followers of the Gods, having maps "conquered" by some god giving some slight bonus/malus to players, and the like.

Rehdon

Love your fantasy etc stories in #GM, really helps with training and keeps me coming back for more, i fully support this idea 100% and i would defiantly use it, Not because he is my guildie, but the fact that i have witnessed his stories first hand and loved them.

-Sabb

hey

i like that idea very much.. i hope it will be possible to realize this. As some of you may know i am easily bored from harvesting and that could keep me awake a bit longer.

:)

The bot is already in the works, I have basicly everything I need. This thread is to try and gauge the EL communities thoughts on such a bot and if it is wanted at all. :)

The bot is already in the works, I have basicly everything I need. This thread is to try and gauge the EL communities thoughts on such a bot and if it is wanted at all. :pickaxe:

One trick Prattler does between songs/stories, he checks the number of people in channel so if nobody is in channelm he doesn't start a new song or story.

The bot is already in the works, I have basicly everything I need. This thread is to try and gauge the EL communities thoughts on such a bot and if it is wanted at all. :pickaxe:

One trick Prattler does between songs/stories, he checks the number of people in channel so if nobody is in channelm he doesn't start a new song or story.

The bot wont tell a story unless someone PMs it with a request. I rather it be what the player wants to hear instead of random, mainly because after a while I plan on the bot having quite a few stories on him for players to choose from.

Edited by RunTime