Eternal Lands Official Forums
Walt-Her

Coordination in Invasions

Discussion on #6 when there was an invasion going on was about the knowledge of knowing what maps where declared clean and which not.

So we came with the idea of some gathering of information which every one could check and then "know" if a map should be researched or not or even if a map was safe to explore/do your thing on if you cant participate in the invasion.

So lets put it on the table,

What if few, trustworthy ppl could tell a bot that a sertain map is declared clean. And the community could ask for that info.

plz. no flames just constructive suggestions and ofcourse if we are pro or against such information and ofcourse if any bot would be allowed to gather such info.

This looks cool :pickaxe:

How someone you think is trustworth may not be seen as trustworthy to others...

Don't know how you will program a bot for something of this nature.

Eh, still open to the problem of misdirection, maybe a more useful tool would be like this:

-Bot is established which receives community input via PM, only during invasions.

-After 10-20(?) PMs arranged in the same fashion (i.e. with a very specific pattern) bot announces the locations of the monsters on invasion channel.

-Once monsters are cleared, bot is re-PM'd and ceases to announce the cleared maps as dangerous.

Oh, and it'll need to have a PM feature, so players can ask for a list of invaded maps.

Edited by Aphistolas

There is a thingy called invasionmeter, which tells you if the map is invaded or not. I know it's expensive, but it does the job.

All the more reason to be able to share the information gained. Since they break pretty easily, there's no reason for 20 people to check the same map.

There is a thingy called invasionmeter, which tells you if the map is invaded or not. I know it's expensive, but it does the job.

Its more about the fact that all the time ppl log in and start asking "what maps where metered" etc.

There is a community bot called Trustbot check its purpose now and i am sure it can be used for the community to point some trustworthy ppl who can give input to it.

Maps that are metered and declared clean can be listed and via a website or just a command ppl can see for themself what maps need to be checked or are safe again.

I have been thinking the same.

Almost every day when I have logged on lately have there been invaded monsters.

And even if I use an invasionmeter am I not able to see, if it's some left after an earlier invasion, or an invasion starting - so there might come on the maps, I think are safe.

So I ask on channel 6 - sometimes I get an answer, sometimes not - and after few min do the next ask the same question - and so on.

I understand people can be too busy to answer.

I think it would be nice to have a special section on this forum, where invasions were posted - maybe 5 min before they start.

What time it started, if it's C1, C2 or both, if there are safe maps - nothing more.

People who log on in an invasion now, have no idea, what and where.

This way could people check the forum before they log on, and know what happen.

Good idea, could have sworn someone else thought of this though...

Log started at 2009-02-03 16:48:53 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

<snip>

[17:22:41] [shujral @ 6]: we need a bot that collects invasion information from people

[17:22:53] [DarkPresent @ 6]: yes only c1

[17:22:54] [shujral @ 6]: so then if you log on, you can type /InvasionBot #info

[17:22:56] birdcamp: 3 of us

[17:23:01] [daiske12 @ 6]: great idea

[17:23:06] [shujral @ 6]: and see briefly wheres safe and wheres not.

Would such a bot also be able to relay data about numbers and strengths of monsters on maps? Info like that would be very helpful to players taking part in the invasion; they would know which maps they could reasonably have some success on.

Would such a bot also be able to receive info from players killing the monsters so that others would know if and when a map got cleared? :)

It sounds to me like a bot would be quite difficult to get working due to problems with who is trusted, whether those trustees are online at the time of the invasion etc etc. Maybe if it is worth the work it would be good to actually have it done server side. So instead of just displaying to the user of an invasion meter information about the map and the monsters there it could add to a log so you can type a command to see when each map was metered and what was there at the time.

There could also be a command for moderators who are running invasions to add which maps will be safe in the upcoming invasion.

Information stored about the monster locations could be cleared when the total number of invaded monsters reached 0.

I know this would mean some extra work for Radu but it would be a much better solution in my opinion.

I think the coordination of invasion information like this should be done by players only in channel 6. This will help improve the community and fun value instead of trying to automate stuff with bots, server logs/coding.

Learner: Next time there is a large scale invasion, watch channel 6 for about 20 minutes. Every 30 seconds or so, another player logs on, and wants to know where/what/how many (I've done this many times myself) Human collaboration is nice, but recapping the whole invasion twice a minute is frustrating.

Learner: Next time there is a large scale invasion, watch channel 6 for about 20 minutes. Every 30 seconds or so, another player logs on, and wants to know where/what/how many (I've done this many times myself) Human collaboration is nice, but recapping the whole invasion twice a minute is frustrating.

I understand that, but if you add automation to the process you are destroying an opportunity to build a better community. I think that ways that the players can handle this better should be looked at in detail.

I understand that, but if you add automation to the process you are destroying an opportunity to build a better community. I think that ways that the players can handle this better should be looked at in detail.

I really don't think this would break down community ties in any way because the only time the meters are used are right at the end of invasions when the last monsters are being cleared. There will still be people announcing locations of monsters and coordinating attacks etc during the invasion. Not to mention the people using the meters would still announce when they metered what the result was in channel 6 otherwise everyone would constantly have to check to know if anyone has metered anywhere or not. The people using the command/bot or whatever would be people coming back from being afk and the people just logging in, not the people actively participating.

I don't think having people constantly asking where and what adds anything to the community aspect of the game.

I really don't think this would break down community ties in any way because the only time the meters are used are right at the end of invasions when the last monsters are being cleared. There will still be people announcing locations of monsters and coordinating attacks etc during the invasion. Not to mention the people using the meters would still announce when they metered what the result was in channel 6 otherwise everyone would constantly have to check to know if anyone has metered anywhere or not. The people using the command/bot or whatever would be people coming back from being afk and the people just logging in, not the people actively participating.

I don't think having people constantly asking where and what adds anything to the community aspect of the game.

I agree that people constantly asking where/what is a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm syaing try to see if there are other non-automated solutions for this.

A better community ???

Waiting for an answer - even few min - can easy be too much if you are at the wrong place.

Every time it happen to me do I log off and play another game.

So maybe a better community, maybe not, but be sure it will be smaller.

A better community ???

Waiting for an answer - even few min - can easy be too much if you are at the wrong place.

If you log off in safe places and everytime you want to log in check CEL site, you can easily avoid to appear in the middle of ice dragons. I know I do that and I wasn't ambushed for a looooong time now.

A better community ???

If you log off in safe places and everytime you want to log in check CEL site, you can easily avoid to appear in the middle of ice dragons. I know I do that and I wasn't ambushed for a looooong time now.

How do I know if it's a safe place ?

I don't go to IP every time I log off.

And to sit in a house somewhere and do nothing, waiting for an answer ?????

NO, there are other games.

I used to log on every morning and to mine and get breakfast, now do I play another game intill after noon where most invasions used to be killed.

I know I'm not the only who log off again.

Edited by Zamirah

How someone you think is trustworth may not be seen as trustworthy to others...

you could just store the char name along with the info, then everyone can decide himself whom he trusts.

and: aint there a pastebin which can be edited by multiple ppl ? thats an easy solution

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastebin)

just my 0.02

Edited by Gilrain

I think the coordination of invasion information like this should be done by players only in channel 6. This will help improve the community and fun value instead of trying to automate stuff with bots, server logs/coding.

The reason why I suggested something like this, was last hidden invasion. On a certain stage of this invasion, noone was able to tell, which map has been searched, metered, whatever...... and I see no point in going to search maps, which might have been searched twice before.

Especially for these having-a-deadline invasions it would be a great improvement and at least show a little bit of teamwork, too.

[14:34:01] [bugabear @ 6]: anyone wanna fill me in a lil on this invasion we've got going on? anyone have a list of what's been metered/cleared?

[14:34:31] [sabbath @ 6]: no clue buga ;\

[14:34:44] [sabbath @ 6]: i heard PV has/had alot of mobs

[14:35:04] [stAnNaRd @ 6]: i just logged on 30 mins ago :/

[14:35:12] [spark @ 6]: Maxine cleared it with a meter minutes ago :)

[14:36:13] [bugabear @ 6]: which pv maps did she clear w/meter?

[14:36:32] [Deffzz @ 6]: all are called clear

[14:36:55] [sabbath @ 6]: what abour srm's mountain of sorrow etc?

[14:37:08] [Deffzz @ 6]: 3 different maps in pv afaik

[14:37:14] [DMan @ 6]: i killed the black dragon up there

[14:42:07] [Farldarm @ 6]: Just got online..where is the invasion?

[14:43:50] [MagpieLee @ 6]: btw that cave in Zira with the narrow walkway and lava is clear.

[14:46:15] [sushiDave @ 6]: Just logged on! What's the scoop on the mobs? What/where?

[14:46:54] [GoodDay2Die @ 6]: something. somewhere.

[14:47:06] [GoodDay2Die @ 6]: that's all we know, in a nutshell. :icon13:

[14:47:10] [Raistlin @ 6]: just logged too, hidden inva?

[14:47:19] [sushiDave @ 6]: doh! I shoulda guessed! >,<

[14:47:20] [Farldarm @ 6]: bout it....I didn't see any in PV. I just logged on myself.

[14:47:48] [DanRothar @ 6]: yes Raistlin, it is hidden

[14:47:53] [Farldarm @ 6]: pv south cave appears clear..as always thankfully

[14:48:00] [Raistlin @ 6]: ty

[14:54:01] [HAWKfeather @ 6]: no coordination in searching? As far as I have seen nobody knows what all has been searched and what not, we should have a blog or something for that reason

[14:54:16] [dipi @ 6]: where was the last invasion?

[14:54:44] [DMan @ 6]: because time zones suck hawkfeather...

[14:54:59] [HAWKfeather @ 6]: that's why a blog would be nice

[14:55:33] [sushiDave @ 6]: coordinate players for hunting mobs? Are you nuts? What are you thinking? Like this is some kind of team sport or something?

[14:55:38] [Deffzz @ 6]: or a bot that accept commands like /bot #cleard pv_inside

[14:55:40] [Kirianthis @ 6]: are you sure the interblags can handle another blog?

[14:55:41] [Dendar @ 6]: maybe create a google document for each invasion?

[14:55:57] [Vixen_Rose @ 6]: i believe most of c1 is clear. did someone kill those icys in TG garg cave? and did anyone check the caves in TG magic garden?

[14:56:12] [Dirge @ 6]: deffzz that would be easily abused

[14:56:14] [DMan @ 6]: TG garg cave is clear

[14:56:18] [Deffzz @ 6]: and it self cleared dbase assoon as its #il=0

[14:56:23] [HAWKfeather @ 6]: well, I'm mostly thinking of these find hidden monsters until deadline invasions

[14:57:00] [Deffzz @ 6]: so those who abuse will have a problem same as teh rest, but there could be some ppl with acces only too ofcourse

[14:57:20] [Deffzz @ 6]: i am a coding n00b but i think its best option

[14:57:47] [Deffzz @ 6]: just ask /bot invasion and it drops what maps are declared clean

[14:58:39] [Dirge @ 6]: sorta defeats the purpose of invasion meter?

[14:59:10] [GoodDay2Die @ 6]: sorta also kills the fun of it too

[14:59:22] [Deffzz @ 6]: not really, w/o metered lots of maps can be sertain cleared. think irinveron or maps with many insides

[15:00:33] [Dirge @ 6]: how could it go 18 hours without being noticed?

[15:00:35] [Deffzz @ 6]: well thats what invasions are about, aint they ?

[15:00:49] [Deffzz @ 6]: cos teh map wasn't metered

[15:00:56] [Deffzz @ 6]: and irin is huge

[15:02:14] [Deffzz @ 6]: there is trustbot that has a function of trustworthy, if that bot could have somkind of invasion code, and the community vote for ppl to be trustworthy

I wouldn't think some info server side would be a good idea, that would spoil the game and the working together as a community. Neither should info be gathered in any automated way imho.

The idea is covered very well in the discussion hawkfeather quoted. Give some players (pointed by the community) rights to give data to a bot and the bot will store it. If one of them gives wrong data, the community only have to tell the bot that they don't trust that player anymore and they wont have access anymore.

its strange that ppl log of just because they don't get the info they ask for and don't wanna die because of that.

With the info gathered by the effort of the community they wont log of again and can even be helpfull in an invasion, and it wouldn't come to the same ppl over and over again to clean up the mobs.

With the info gathered by the effort of the community they wont log of again and can even be helpfull in an invasion, and it wouldn't come to the same ppl over and over again to clean up the mobs.

If I log off in a safe house in EVTR or PL or even IP and people tell me there are dragons outside, and I can't get to storage, do you think I'll stay online and sit and wait untill I can go to a storage ??

No, I'll log off and play another game and maybe I'm staying on that game the rest of the day.

But if I knew before I logged on, that only few were left and where, would I maybe come and help.

Hmm maybe GIWS could give the information in some form (no clue what, maybe a message once in 3 minutes about what maps are safe) if it has the right level ....

Hmm maybe GIWS could give the information in some form (no clue what, maybe a message once in 3 minutes about what maps are safe) if it has the right level ....

Good idea. Maybe the GAIWS system could be edited to have additional levels that could reveal some info about where, what, how many, if more funds were raised.

Edited by Shujral

If I log off in a safe house in EVTR or PL or even IP and people tell me there are dragons outside, and I can't get to storage, do you think I'll stay online and sit and wait untill I can go to a storage ??

No, I'll log off and play another game and maybe I'm staying on that game the rest of the day.

But if I knew before I logged on, that only few were left and where, would I maybe come and help.

Good reason to carry rinfs or not kill Scotty, so you don't get trapped like that.