Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fitzer

New Skill - Animal Instinct

I was going to work and i was very bored, so i begun to think about a new skill for the game, and here it is:

Animal Istinct

- How the skill grow up:

you kill animals, you gain a fixed number of XP for each kind of animal

- What the skill do:

alone the skill do nothing at all

- So what's the skill for?

The skill works like this. You have to kill a N number of a kind of animal, the weaker is the animal the higher is the number of them killed. After you reach the N you will be allowed to gain some animal traits for a short period determined like Skill Level * 10 / 60 so that it will last longer for skilled players. It could be used once a day, no multiple traits allowed at the same time but multiple traits could be used during the day. Even if you kill the N number of creatures you must have a N level on the skill to use the ability... or an expert figther could kill 2 dragons and advance to lvl 50 easily... but you still need to kill the N creatures to use the ability :D Next, after the required number of creatures are killed these wouldn't give any new XP, so you have to switch to another creature to grow up the skill.

- What do you mean when speaking about animal traits?

Well, a bunny is fast but weak, so if you use the ability you become fast but very weak to attack. An hawk have good eyes but can't carry heavy things, so you will have increased perception and 50% EMU available. Beavers can bite the wood, so double speed on branches and logs collection, but speed reduction. And so on... i'll let other to think about other traits :D

- The purpose of the skill?

Well, that way maybe people don't stop hunt small animals.... it gives a target to reach and in the end you gain a new ability :D

The big problem is programming it, it need several variables and several formula for the abilities, resulting a possible headache, also due to the skill description as above, who program it should calculate the exact number of XP from each animal to reach the skill cap.

Well that's all, folks :)

(yeah, next time i go work i'll just smoke a cigarette without thinking :D)

More animal traits

Fox cunning:

+ to reasoning/instinct

- to physique/vitality

Bears strength:

+ to physique/vitality

- to coordination/reasoning

Just me, or does this seem a bit like the shapeshifting?

You gain a special advantage beecause you:

-kill something

-turn into something

But you still get the advantage, which is specifically oreinted to a creature/shape.

Just me, or does this seem a bit like the shapeshifting?

Is not like shapeshifting, you gain the ability because killing so many monster of the same type makes you understand how they are able to do something. A real example of animal observation are submarines that works like the wales, or chopter project designed by Leonardo da Vinci that are based on dragonfly fly, or some oriental martial arts that have been developed copying some animal movement and attack styles. After observing an animal for a lot of time, even during combat, the character understand some traits of the animal and develop a way to copy their traits, no shapeshifting :)

Interesting idea. However I think a lot of these trait abilities can already be done with potions in the game.

Want to have more reasoning? Drink a reasoning potion.

What to move faster? Drink a speed hax potion.

Want to have more reasoning? Drink a reasoning potion.

What to move faster? Drink a speed hax potion.

That's right, so remove the heal, remote heal and restoration spell, we have potion of body restoration :P And remove a/d, we have ranging :)

Ok, let me return "serious" :D I like my idea because it gives targets to players. Ok, kill 5.000 bunnies to learn about their traits, it's long, soo long, but it is a target to reach even in the long term, no matter how many hours it takes, the target is available for everyone, no nexus nor book required, just time. No need for items to activate the ability once you get it. And an indicator for each animal with percentage shown would be very nice. People love to achieve target, but here are not so clear, not many quests, no npc job system etc, so a skill like this could be really positive for the gameplay to those that don't like PK or make an huge amount of GC to buy ings to make even more GC all the time :) Since make a quest seems so hard in this game in term of programming code, maybe this skill once set will be easily improved. :D

It is a really original ideea.

I think that with this skill you shouldent be able to be able to have all the animal traits, but only 1.

So you should decide what to chose. Maybe an npc that can remove this for some rare and expensive items.

Well, you could solve it also like that:

Every 5000th bunny drops a "trait card" or whatever.

Using this gives you the special trait. To get his old

trait you must use the "human trait card" which is a

random harvest event :-)

The main problem of your idea is to balance it.

Those traits shall be nice, but neither overstrong

nor too weak. And if i heard it correctly: You want

traits for any animal kind..wow thats a lot of balancing

work..good lucK! You must know, many player play EL

because it is like it is.

I like this idea, this again (to me) shows the players

are wanting and leaning toward some-sort-of class based play or

character discpline development.

The idea you suggest is straight out of the design for Barbarian, Druid, or Ranger

type characters. (Any nature lore type role play).

'Class-less' only leads to one giant, we all look alike super class, and then to boredom.

( :( mah sekrit agendaz)

'Class-less' only leads to one giant, we all look alike super class, and then to boredom.

Yes and you can play on this super char or make a new char - both is boring.

Making new char is more boring than for new players, you need to get money for books and sigils and capes when you already know the game, nothing to explore just endless harvesting or killing rabbits.

Making different classes - new chars would be interesting.