Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaddy

Isnt this a bit overpowered?

I see both sides of this point, so not going to comment either way really. I will make this general statement tho, in both EL and RL, whoever has more money, will usually have an advantage, or in this case, whoever is willing to invest more in the game. That has not changed in 3 thousand years, and probably won't anytime soon.

Right on. People who spend more get more.

I see both sides of this point, so not going to comment either way really. I will make this general statement tho, in both EL and RL, whoever has more money, will usually have an advantage, or in this case, whoever is willing to invest more in the game. That has not changed in 3 thousand years, and probably won't anytime soon.

I wasn't planning to post more on this thread, it's really getting boring, but i'd just like to point out that this isn't always the case.

In competitive events where there are rules, and the EL world has rules (i don't mean the 'game rules', i mean the programmatic server rules), people who train themselves and hone their skills usually have the advantage.

A runner spending $8000 on shoes wont really help them beat the runner with $100 shoes who's simply faster.

The question only becomes; what ruleset is preferred? one that favours riches, one that favours skill, or one that favours training.

I'm not trying to make any argument that any of these are "correct" in correlation to RL, my only argument is that in a game that pits player against player i don't think being riches bias is the best choice... imagine if a chess player could buy more pieces for big RL$ :)

Not that I support those 'evil rich people', but it's not like if someone can throw around lots of cash IRL they will be unbeatable. Sure, it takes the guy who farms <insert mob here> significantly longer to buy the stuff Evil Rich Guy has, but it's not like he can't buy it because he doesn't put money into the game.

It is funny as hell listenting to pkers complaining about the weapons and armor they can't afford being too powerful. You know they wouldn't complain if they actually had them.

If is funny listening to pkers complaining about the morals of other pkers when I find unprovoked murders to be an exercise of bad morals. (please don't ramble on this. It is my oppinion and "strange" or not, I have a right to it.....even if you think I am stupid for it)

Just be careful how much you comlpain about the really cool gear from rare mixes. I imagine that if Entropy got fed up with it, he could always remove all rare weapon and armor mixes from the game and then there would be nothing special for me to mix and I would not cry about it. I would laugh my ass off as the great sword prices went up to 32K or so.

On a side note, there is a reason why these things are rare mixes. If you make them weaker, they might as well be common mixes with different recipies.

Nathan, everyone knows you have pk envy. Why else would you feel the need to show up in every pk thread. If you would stfu, maybe people would not enjoy attacking you so much.

Back to topic. I agree with you Korr, as I am a single father of 3, who lives a middle class life style, at best. However, I know that even if these armors were removed from the game, people who choose to pour rl money into the game will find new advantages. I guess I gave up on changing the worlds "monetary inequities" long ago, now I have learned to enjoy the few moments when i get to stick it to the rich folks.

Edited by Normtide

people who choose to pour rl money into the game will find new advantages.

I cant deny that you're correct... there'll always be char buying, and currently there's also pickpoint buying... but the game itself could be changed to minimise the power that can be gained from $$.

Anyways... 'ebul RL$$ people' is actually one of my lesser points on why i think some of the current 'special' weapons and armors are bad.

And my previous phrasing of 'riches equating to such power is bad' is by itself still something i believe, but i realise now does not well at all describe one of my primary concerns.

It's not just that i think "riches equating to uber power = bad", it's also, and more so, that i think the way in which riches equate to this uber power is bad.

I'll present my key point, as clearly as i can.

Here's an approximation of the current weight of the various components that contribute to the outcome of a PvP battle between 2 people of the same or very similar a/d/oa:

unbalanced.png

The effect of the special weapons and armors is that luck greatly outweighs other components.

Here's my version of how the components that contribute to the outcome of PvP combat should be weighted for the system to be balanced, when 2 people of the same or very similar a/d/oa battle:

balanced.png

Do i expect this kind of absolute balanced perfection to be achieved? No, It's probably impossible.

...but do i think just giving up and stopping trying to balance it as much as possible is the answer? Hell no.

Edited by Korrode

yr ur pix broken :medieval:

huh?

Your screen shot pix dont show up.

@Sque- What pk?? nub opinion says its not :)

Edited by Sir_Exeus

Nathan, everyone knows you have pk envy. Why else would you feel the need to show up in every pk thread. If you would stfu, maybe people would not enjoy attacking you so much.

Back to topic. I agree with you Korr, as I am a single father of 3, who lives a middle class life style, at best. However, I know that even if these armors were removed from the game, people who choose to pour rl money into the game will find new advantages. I guess I gave up on changing the worlds "monetary inequities" long ago, now I have learned to enjoy the few moments when i get to stick it to the rich folks.

:icon13: Haven't we all. ^^

It is an interesting topic and it does not involve just pkers. It involves manufactuers like me too. I hope you aren't so blind that you can't see that more than just pkers matter.

If people have issues with me posting, ask Entropy to ban me from the forums. If he finds that I should not post, he will. If he does not ban me from forums, anyone with issues with my posts can just shut up.

Added later:

This thread also has to do with those that fight dragons, etc and everyone that helps to make ingredients for the manufacturers who hope to luck out and make this armor.

Edited by nathanstenzel

@Nathan

Would it not be better to work on getting manufactures some profit out of their general wares, rather than sacrificing the balance of one skill to help another?

If i was a manufacturer, i'd be just as annoyed with these armors as i am as a PK'er/fighter.

Someone could work for years leveling manu (supposedly at a loss) and never make one of these armors, while some lucky newb will make 3 in a week and get rich... wouldn't you prefer if the weight of luck in the profitability/success scale for your skill was reduced too?

If i was you, i'd be arguing to weaken these pieces of equipment, make them worth less, and to fix the lack of profitability of the manufacturing skill's system as a whole.

@Nathan

Would it not be better to work on getting manufactures some profit out of their general wares, rather than sacrificing the balance of one skill to help another?

If i was a manufacturer, i'd be just as annoyed with these armors as i am as a PK'er/fighter.

Someone could work for years leveling manu (supposedly at a loss) and never make one of these armors, while some lucky newb will make 3 in a week and get rich... wouldn't you prefer if the weight of luck in the profitability/success scale for your skill was reduced too?

If i was you, i'd be arguing to weaken these pieces of equipment, make them worth less, and to fix the lack of profitability of the manufacturing skill's system as a whole.

It may seem confusing, but I tend to try to consider a number of points of views. I prefer that everyone that could be affected by a change be considered before making a change. I prefer those that wish to exclude people from discussions to stop such anti-social behavior. Everyone should get to be considered and their voices heard. :P

I posted this earlier. It was post 154.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...st&p=488207

Edited by nathanstenzel

ah, sorry forgot that post (it all becomes a big blur :>)...

I imagine that if Entropy got fed up with it, he could always remove all rare weapon and armor mixes from the game and then there would be nothing special for me to mix and I would not cry about it. I would laugh my ass off as the great sword prices went up to 32K or so.

This would be great :P

I'm not one of those people who complains about paying over ingreds cost for equipment, i've pretty much always been happy to pay whatever the manufacturer thought was reasonable. I'm all for manufacture's making gc from the products they produce and sell, and i'm all for complete removal of all the orange spam gear. :P

@Nathan

Peach made 2 SGoUD in 18 tries :P (1 day)

Edited by Shujral

Peach made 2 SGoUD in 18 tries :P (1 day)

That is ludicrous. A person shouldn't be able to be that lucky.

Well, that is what luck is about, isn't it? To deny some ridiculous ratios and probabilities :lurker:

Peach made 2 SGoUD in 18 tries :) (1 day)

That is ludicrous. A person shouldn't be able to be that lucky.

Well, that is what luck is about, isn't it? To deny some ridiculous ratios and probabilities :confused:

Having good luck be, well, good, is fine.

The point is this is an MMORPG and playing the game should offer guaranteed rewards, and the weight of luck should be reduced some, as right now luck outweighs play time by a lot.

Peach's luck wouldn't be "ludicrous" if SGoUD just gave a static +5 def and was worth ~100k... but it'd still be great luck.

Having good luck be, well, good, is fine.

The point is this is an MMORPG and playing the game should offer guaranteed rewards, and the weight of luck should be reduced some, as right now luck outweighs play time by a lot.

Peach's luck wouldn't be "ludicrous" if SGoUD just gave a static +5 def and was worth ~100k... but it'd still be great luck.

Yeah, because in real life luck plays no role, right?

Yeah, because in real life luck plays no role, right?

yeah just the other day i found this really awesome pair of pants at work..... worth

5000 times what i make in a year. i am going to sell them to some rich guy so that he

may beat up the army.