Eternal Lands Official Forums
Florian

Random bag positioning

What will this achieve in terms of gameplay?

Client side this will be simple to achieve - just add a couple of extra fields to the bag info array xoffset yoffset and populate them on create_bag.

How do you like this:

add a slight randomness to the bag position so it's not exactly centered on the tile.

How would this look when you are standing over a bag? Would it be noticeable?

I'm all for easy variety but I don't see the point of this unless I'm missing something.

We have a rule against bag spamming anyway so bags shouldn't be all over the map to begin with :rolleyes:

I think it's a good idea and you can even add a random rotation and a random scale to add more variety. ;)

Well, I don't think in polar coordinates as you, but yes, a random x,y shift around the tile's center.

How would this look when you are standing over a bag? Would it be noticeable?

Depends on the randomness :D

Will it help on catching monster dropped bags???

Depends on the randomness :D

We have a rule against bag spamming anyway so bags shouldn't be all over the map to begin with :P

You didn't get the message of this screenshot, did you? It obviously shows variaty in bag positions.

Off course I could have posted eight screenshots with different bag positions, that would have been *much* easier to notice the different bag positions ... :)

We have a rule against bag spamming anyway so bags shouldn't be all over the map to begin with :P

You didn't get the message of this screenshot, did you? It obviously shows variaty in bag positions.

Off course I could have posted eight screenshots with different bag positions, that would have been *much* easier to notice the different bag positions ... ;)

Ehh yes I did get why you did it :) , my comment wasn't directed at your screenshot.

I still don't see the point of doing this. If somebody has one bag down, why would they care where that precisely it is within a tile? And would it be noticeable with just one bag that it's slightly off-center of one tile in a field of grass?

And if they were trying to make a pretty picture with 50 bags, that's illegal anyway so I can't see why they would care anyway when a mod comes and poofs all their bags.

Meh I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing here.

If somebody has one bag down, why would they care where that precisely it is within a tile?

Because I think it adds a bit of reality if the bag is not always 100% centered.

You do notice the offset: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=si&img=843 (it depends on the randomness, of course)

/EDIT

just to make that clear, because people asked me ingame: I don't want to position bags randomly anywhere on the map, I just want to slightly change the position on the tile the bag is already on. You'll still walk onto the bag if you're victorious in a fight, an when the bag is quite off the center of a tile you'll be the only one to reach it if you're on the bag's tile. So nothing changes fundamentally, I just want to add a bit more realism.

Edited by Florian

I hope there wasn't dung in that bag \o/

Would give bag variety during mass invasions where the monsters do the bag spamming for you. And it would make bag spelling a little more interesting and deformed.

Actually, I think not having the bag drop directly down from my ass would be nice. Having it drop next to my foot is visually nicer, more realistic, and less, er... suggestive?

Actually, I think not having the bag drop directly down from my ass would be nice. Having it drop next to my foot is visually nicer, more realistic, and less, er... suggestive?

Hmm you do have a point here, and not look like we are wearing tan diapers when we sit on them? :)

I think it's a good idea and you can even add a random rotation and a random scale to add more variety. :)

Well, I don't think in polar coordinates as you, but yes, a random x,y shift around the tile's center.

No, I'm not speaking about polar coordinates, just about the rotation of the bag around the Z axis. The bag is not symetric so giving it a little rotation when calling the add_e3d function can also add a bit more variety... :P

I'm currently discussing that topic with trollson, he has some great ideas.

The goal is to find some "add_variety_to_bag" function with enough variety, but with the same deterministic variety for all players that see the bag.

Current input is the x,y coord pair, the map size and the bag ID which we know nothing about, especially not if it's the same ID for all players on the map or if every player has one bag list for himself.

Current input is the x,y coord pair, the map size and the bag ID which we know nothing about, especially not if it's the same ID for all players on the map or if every player has one bag list for himself.

AFAIK, each bag has a specific ID that is common to everybody. So IMO you can freely use it as a seed for your random values. An easy way to test it though is to open 2 clients and see if the bag have the same position on both after the applying the random values to it...

OK, this is what I have so far:

bag <8> (35.454929,41.359333) rot 5.139225 tilt 0.243940
bag <0> (36.748634,36.798634) rot 2.984079 tilt 0.093938
bag <3> (38.386311,35.349693) rot 4.765150 tilt 0.167769
bag <7> (40.286987,35.899010) rot 4.220419 tilt 0.157310
bag <9> (37.310223,32.328312) rot 4.052562 tilt 0.103743
bag <11> (40.251255,35.352680) rot 3.067995 tilt 0.172458
bag <6> (33.811832,31.849770) rot 3.226588 tilt 0.243218
bag <2> (38.936729,34.252029) rot 4.469697 tilt 0.130491
bag <4> (36.699242,36.262482) rot 3.093276 tilt -0.054086
bag <1> (32.943913,38.346481) rot 5.238455 tilt 0.194043

As you can see, the bag positions are not .0 or .5 but slightly shifted.

Rotation goes from 0 to 2PI (0-360 degrees), tilt from -PI/8 to PI/8 (-22.5 - 22.5 degrees).

This variation of the bag position will be the same for everybody on the map, so two people looking at the same bag will see the same variation.

Comments?

Could you make a screen again?

Does this affect the animations for dropping and picking up a bag? Do they still look ok?

Else I see no problems with this.

Rotate and tilt is not implemented for the actual 3D object.

The Eye Candy effects take the real 3D position of the bag and look like before.

I'll post a screen after I've implemented rotation and tilt.

/EDIT:

screenshot: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=si&img=847

left shows after I droppen them all, right shows that the positions stay the same after logout & login.

/EDIT2:

this shows a line of around 50 bags

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=si&img=848

Edited by Florian

now in CVS - happy testing :hug:

I must admit to thinking things look rather odd when someone is standing or sitting over a bag.

May be I'll get use to it...

May be we could move the player by the same random amount...

May be we could just do the random bag rotation and not the move...

I find it disorientating to have bags show up in random directions relative to my character. If watching a pile of bags from far off, perhaps the random placement looks better, but functionally, it's terrible, imo. Sitting on a bag, and having the bag mostly behind my character just looks funny. Maybe it can look reasonable to have the bag slightly in front, but that means 7/8 times, it looks awkward, at best.

If there is a desire to make bags look less standard, maybe one of several (new) random textures can be chosen for them? Then a pile of bags would have some differentiation, without looking like half the players in a storage have random golden tumors.