Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New engine test, part 3

The instructions are the same, file name is the same, please redownload it and retest, and let me know if it solved your problems, if it didn't solve your problems, if everything is fine, or if there are other issues

First, please only try it if you understand what I am going to say and can read and understand English.

Steps:

Download it from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/map_viewer_release_1.zip

Unzip it in a NEW directory, do NOT put it in your EL directory. Make sure you have permissions to read/write from there.

Depending on your OS, run the program (if you are on linux, change the binary permisisons).

Please report any problems, along with the system specs and the FPS you get.

There are a few known problems that should NOT be reported:

1. Many objects have bad normals, and the light is weird.

2. When moving the camera, sometimes the ground tiles in the distance will apear different than those close by.

3. Some objects that should not be transparent are transparent.

4. Some objects, especially ground objects, have black/dark edges.

5. The water is black.

Keys and usage:

RMB rotates the camera.

Scroll wheel moves the camera back and forth, keeping the alt key pressed increases the speed.

LMB moves the camera.

N toggles between night and day.

To change the maps, you can try F1 (previous map) and F2 (next map).

You can also change the maps by editing the configuration file and edit the line: map = Isla_Prima

You can use any map file name, such as:

map = cave1.elm

Have fun testing, and please remember to report any problems that I did not mention, plus the frame rate and system specs, and the OS used.

Important

If everything works well, edit the config file and repalce instancing=1 with some higher number, like 1K or so). See if it works or not. It should be MUCH faster.

Works good.

I get about 1 FPS when zoomed out and ~17 FPS when i zoom in with instancing = 1

When i set instancing to 1000, i get about 10 times more FPS (so 10 when zoomed out, and 170 when zoomed in)

Day/Night mode does not change FPS considerably.

Video:

Video card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 2600

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.1.8087 Release

Driver version: 6.14.0010.6869 (from 9.10.2008)

Chip type: 0x9581

System:

Win XP Pro SP2

Edited by groomsh

The binary doesn't run on my Debian Lenny machine (2.6.26-1-686).

Video card: GeForce4 MX 440/AGP/3DNOW!

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.07

debug.log:

[engine/source/init.cpp:38] Using release mode.
[engine/source/imageloader.cpp:345] Using 'DDS Codec'.
[engine/source/archiveloader.cpp:54] Using 'dir'.
[engine/source/archiveloader.cpp:54] Using 'zip'.
[map_viewer/main.cpp:192] unknown option instancing

Btw, the linux binary is from Feb 7nd. I guess it's still the same one as in the last new engine test (that would explain the "unknown option instancing" error).

Works good.

Day/night change has same FPS.

Instancing to 1000 didnt change FPS for me. I got constantly 60 FPS.

System:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 DUAL 6000+ (2x3.0 Ghz)

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512 MB (newest drivers from 22.01.09 - NVIDIA driver 181.22)

OS type:

WIN XP 64

Edit: forget to report a minor glitch: like in all versions before, pressing F2 AFTER IP insides won't work for me (F1 functions)

Edited by Raistlin

Then you didn't download or unzip it right, because the binary is from 11 february.

Ah, the binary is named 'map_viewer' now. The zip still contained 'map_viewer.linux.bin' which is from Feb 7th. :icon13:

Anyway, the program starts, showing a black screen and then quits when the title switches to "Isla Prima".

Error message in the terminal: "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'eternal_lands::ExtendedException'"

tail -10 debug.log

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] color_id [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 1 [index] 5 [instanced] 0
[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] worldviewproj [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_mat4x4 [array_size] 1 [index] 1 [instanced] 0
[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:244] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' instances: 1
[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:265] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' info: 
[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:288] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' parameters: 6
[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:291] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.vert' build ends.
[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.frag'.
[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:46] Checking archive './data.zip'.
[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:50] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster/shadow_caster.frag' in archive './data.zip'.
[map_viewer/main.cpp:351] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(7:internal_error) at file 'engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp' in function 'check' line 183: Can`t use ARB st_fragment program, because 'GL_ARB_fragment_program' extension is missing.

OS: Debian Lenny, Kernel 2.6.26-1-686, on an old Athlon 900Mhz with 512 MB RAM

Video card: GeForce4 MX 440/AGP/3DNOW!

OpenGL Version: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.07

Works good.

Day/night change has same FPS.

Instancing to 1000 didnt change FPS for me. I got constantly 60 FPS.

System:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 DUAL 6000+ (2x3.0 Ghz)

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512 MB (newest drivers from 22.01.09 - NVIDIA driver 181.22)

OS type:

WIN XP 64

Edit: forget to report a minor glitch: like in all versions before, pressing F2 AFTER IP insides won't work for me (F1 functions)

Disabled VSync like you said, now i get slightly lower FPS on night compared to day (145 vs. 140 FPS)

F2 still stopping after 1st use (IP insides)

Oh, yes, forgot to change the binary name, sorry.

Can you get a newer video driver, or is this the last one for your card?

I am not sure if we will still support the GF2 cards (they are like 10 years old).

Disabled VSync like you said, now i get slightly lower FPS on night compared to day (145 vs. 140 FPS)

That's normal, the IP insides is the last map in the list. Try F1 instead.

Oh, yes, forgot to change the binary name, sorry.

I am not sure if we will still support the GF2 cards (they are like 10 years old).

That's normal, the IP insides is the last map in the list. Try F1 instead.

Damn, I am stupid, could have checked that myself first. Ty anyway :icon13:

Keep it up :D

The driver I'm using (Version 96.43.07) is the latest available from Nvidia. It's from July 16, 2008.

And yep, I am aware that it's pretty old hardware. Going to put a new box together soon :icon13:

Works well for me, problem with disappearing polygons on zooming is solved.

Performances

with instancing=1

Isla Prima, initial view (full maps, zoomed out): ~9fps

Isla Prima, zoomed view (as in game): ~30fps

with instancing=1000

Isla Prima, initial view (full maps, zoomed out): ~30fps

Isla Prima, zoomed view (as in game): ~30fps

Config

Debian Linux, kernerl 2.6.18-4-686

CPU: Intel Pentium M 740, 1.73GHz

Video card: GeForce Go 6200/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.55

As with test 2:

All i get is a blank window and the phrase "no map"

System is OpenSuse11,

running on AMD athlonxp2000+ cpu

graphics reported as: "radeon 8500 AIW DV edition"

different message in debug log final lines:

[map_viewer/main.cpp:351] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(7:internal_error) at file 'engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp' in function 'check' line 183:

Can`t use ARB st_fragment program, because 'GL_ARB_fragment_program' extension is missing.

(And FWIW, new box or graphics card is not an option for me for some time, unfortunately)

No runtime error this time, still no go. Blank window with No map in the title flashes for half a second, then application closes.

Sysinfo: Win XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1,67GHz, Intel 945M graphics

[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:217] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/instanced/shadow_reciever/vertex_lighting.vert' build starts.
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:237] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/instanced/shadow_reciever/vertex_lighting.vert' uniforms: 
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] ambient_and_shininess [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 1 [index] 5 [instanced] 0
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] light_colors [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 9 [instanced] 1
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] light_positions [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 6 [instanced] 1
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] viewproj [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_mat4x4 [array_size] 1 [index] 1 [instanced] 0
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:241] 	[name] world [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 12 [instanced] 1
[engine\source\gpuprogram.cpp:244] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/instanced/shadow_reciever/vertex_lighting.vert' instances: 13
[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file '3dobjects/ground_objs/waterplants.dds'.
[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:46] Checking archive './data.zip'.
[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:50] Loading file '3dobjects/ground_objs/waterplants.dds' in archive './data.zip'.
[engine\source\ddsimage.cpp:526] Loading file '3dobjects/ground_objs/waterplants.dds' as RGBA_DXT1 texture.
[map_viewer\main.cpp:351] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(5:opengl_error) at file 'engine\source\texture.cpp' in function 'eternal_lands::Texture::set' line 299: invalid operation

As with test 2:

All i get is a blank window and the phrase "no map"

System is OpenSuse11,

running on AMD athlonxp2000+ cpu

graphics reported as: "radeon 8500 AIW DV edition"

different message in debug log final lines:

[map_viewer/main.cpp:351] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(7:internal_error) at file 'engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp' in function 'check' line 183:

Can`t use ARB st_fragment program, because 'GL_ARB_fragment_program' extension is missing.

(And FWIW, new box or graphics card is not an option for me for some time, unfortunately)

We are HOPING to have a version that will work for that too.

Ent will you be releasing this as official game engine when testing is complete ? Like within the next couple of months ?

System:

Win XP X64

Intel Quad Core Q6600

Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512

Works without any problems,

zoomed out on IP I get ~42 fps day or night

Instancing = 1000 increases fps on IP to ~59 both at day and night

Still the same, black screen pops up, stays for a sec, then disappears.

(yes, i used map_viewer instead of the *.bin file)

debug.log:

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3174.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3175.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3176.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3177.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3178.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3179.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3180.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3181.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3182.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3183.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3184.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3185.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3186.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3187.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3188.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3189.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3190.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3191.

[engine/source/lightmanager.cpp:206] 1 lights for object 3192.

[engine/source/scenemanager.cpp:234] Done loading map file 'maps/startmap.elm'.

[map_viewer/main.cpp:351] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(4:invalid_parameter) at file 'engine/source/framebuffer.cpp' in function 'check_status' line 247: Framebuffer status error 36061.

Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid)

Piper

Do you have the latest video driver?

According to the Ubuntu system update , yes, they dont have any newer, and this one is the recommended version.

According to the NVIDIA site, no. Ill try to install that one and then try again.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Runtime error again...

Platform: LapTop w/nvida (see siggy below)

Last few lines from debug file (I've noted a lot more data in this file that Test #2, but crashed with the same last line).

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:183] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' build starts.

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:203] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' uniforms:

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] ambient_and_shininess [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 1 [index] 5 [instanced] 0

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] light_colors [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 9 [instanced] 1

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] light_positions [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 6 [instanced] 1

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] viewproj [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_mat4x4 [array_size] 1 [index] 1 [instanced] 0

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] world [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 12 [instanced] 1

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:210] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' instances: 13

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:230] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' info:

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:253] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' parameters: 123

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:256] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.vert' build ends.

[enginesourcefilesystem.cpp:42] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.frag'.

[enginesourcefilesystem.cpp:46] Checking archive './data.zip'.

[enginesourcefilesystem.cpp:50] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.frag' in archive './data.zip'.

[enginesourcegpuprogram.cpp:183] ARB st_fragment program 'shader/extended-material/vertex_lighting.frag' build starts.

[map_viewermain.cpp:236] invalid bitset<N> position

:rolleyes:

Error Log:

EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found) at file 'engine\source\filesystem.cpp' in function 'eternal_lands::FileSystem::get_loader' line 58: Can`t find file '3dobjects/structures/wall15.e3d'.

debug log partial:

[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file 'maps/misc1.elm'.

[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:50] Loading file 'maps/misc1.elm' in archive './data.zip'.

[engine\source\maploader.cpp:375] Loading map 'maps/misc1.elm'.

[engine\source\maploader.cpp:388] Tile map size <32, 32>.

[engine\source\maploader.cpp:410] scene_manager ambient color <0.24, 0.24, 0.24, 1>.

[engine\source\maploader.cpp:415] Loading 1340 3d objects.

[engine\source\filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file '3dobjects/structures/wall15.e3d'.

[map_viewer\main.cpp:236] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found) at file 'engine\source\filesystem.cpp' in function 'eternal_lands::FileSystem::get_loader' line 58: Can`t find file '3dobjects/structures/wall15.e3d'.

:P

[engine/source/scenemanager.cpp:231] Done loading map file 'maps/startmap.elm'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:42] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster.vert'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:46] Checking archive './data.zip'.

[engine/source/filesystem.cpp:50] Loading file 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster.vert' in archive './data.zip'.

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:183] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster.vert' build starts.

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:203] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster.vert' uniforms:

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] color_id [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 1 [index] 5 [instanced] 1

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] viewproj [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_mat4x4 [array_size] 1 [index] 1 [instanced] 0

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:207] [name] world [shader_type] st_vertex [parameter_type] pt_float4 [array_size] 3 [index] 6 [instanced] 1

[engine/source/gpuprogram.cpp:210] ARB st_vertex program 'shader/extended-material/shadow_caster.vert' instances: 13

[map_viewer/main.cpp:236] basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid

This is after I unzipped the data files and changed permissions. Now it doesn't even start to load.

Edited by popeye