Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dawench

I know this has probably been touched on in other threads BUT I couldn't find anything specific about what I am about to suggest.

Due to the fact that disputes generally come down to one person's word vs another person's word (because there is no actual way to prove anything in a virtual world), perhaps its time to institute a reputation rating. That way when a dispute does happen a person's reputation will go a long way to decide (at least in the minds of the readers) who was in the right.

As an example...

For every LOGGED in day (so many hrs logged in) a person would get one reputation point provided they didn't get a demerit.

For every offense punished by the mods points would be taken away, amount of deduction based upon the nature of the offense.

Similarly, persons who are reported frequently in disputes could have points deducted.

The reputation of a person could be looked up on gossip. Further the person "registering" a dispute would have to declare their reputation rating. The rating would stay with the account forever. It would make it a lot easier for gms to decide who to take into their guilds and a lot easier for people to decide who to avoid.

This is just an idea.. I know it has flaws so feel free to blast away at the concept :rolleyes:

A really bad idea.

You've said it yoursef - Disputes is word vs word in most of cases. How can you decide somebody's reputation with no proof at all? Isn't it a bit too easy to abuse? Moreover, who would be the one to decide whether one's reputation should be adjusted? Us - players? Moderators? Admins? Gods?

I agree with you at some point though:

This is just an idea.. I know it has flaws so feel free to blast away at the concept

Why did you decide to post it at all in this case? Wasting yours and others time.

I know this has probably been touched on in other threads BUT I couldn't find anything specific about what I am about to suggest.

Due to the fact that disputes generally come down to one person's word vs another person's word (because there is no actual way to prove anything in a virtual world), perhaps its time to institute a reputation rating. That way when a dispute does happen a person's reputation will go a long way to decide (at least in the minds of the readers) who was in the right.

As an example...

For every LOGGED in day (so many hrs logged in) a person would get one reputation point provided they didn't get a demerit.

For every offense punished by the mods points would be taken away, amount of deduction based upon the nature of the offense.

Similarly, persons who are reported frequently in disputes could have points deducted.

The reputation of a person could be looked up on gossip. Further the person "registering" a dispute would have to declare their reputation rating. The rating would stay with the account forever. It would make it a lot easier for gms to decide who to take into their guilds and a lot easier for people to decide who to avoid.

This is just an idea.. I know it has flaws so feel free to blast away at the concept :rolleyes:

Reputation is a purely subjective and passing scale - some players believe I have a very good reputation ingame but I also know there are certain players that think my reputation is worthless. Who is right? Who is wrong? Who decides? Who decides who has the right to decide?

Time ingame does not a reputation make either.

I know a reputation is a subjective thing... but so are all the replies to every dispute. There has to be a better way of doing things rather than a complainant posting and everyone else flaming them.

As to time not being an indicator of reputation? Think about it... if a player spends hundreds of hours not doing things to get in trouble with the mods and not getting reported in the dispute threads then obviously the must have a good reputation and therefore are more believable when they make a complaint as opposed to someone who doesn't.

Its kind of like the system would act as a character witness.

I'm not suggesting that any reputation system would have any ingame effect or benefits except those that having a good reputation would have anyway.

(btw if u as a thread moderator think this subject is such a waste of your time and other peoples times then why don't u just delete it instead of publically insulting me)

Edited by dawench

(btw if u as a thread moderator think this subject is such a waste of your time and other peoples times then why don't u just delete it instead of publically insulting me)

You should investigate some more who is a moderator of Suggestion forums. As far as I know - there are no moderators assigned.

As to time not being an indicator of reputation? Think about it... if a player spends hundreds of hours not doing things to get in trouble with the mods and not getting reported in the dispute threads then obviously the must have a good reputation and therefore are more believable when they make a complaint as opposed to someone who doesn't.

First of all, lots of players are on afk, going to count all those hours will make it easy to get a 'good' reputation, by just doing nothing.

Secondly, I would not want people to be able to know/guess who got in trouble with the moderators, this is strictly between the mod-team and the player.

Thirdly, the mod team only acts on rule breaking, so some-one could be an invisible bagjumper with an excellent reputation.

So all in all, I think this is a bad idea. If you want to decide on someones reputation because you consider accepting in the guild, read the forum and judge for yourself. If you decide to accept someone you dont actually know at all, it is entirely your risk. An automated character witness is no witness at all.

I'm not suggesting that any reputation system would have any ingame effect or benefits except those that having a good reputation would have anyway.

So why bother?!

Just my 2 cents as a PLAYER.