Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fitzer

Nature special events on some maps

Well... we already have cold damage on some maps, and these damage can be avoided wearing fur clothes.

The idea is to add some other maps related issue for the player, that can be avoided with specific LOW LEVEL items.

For example, in the jungle you can be stung by a mosquito that make you sick, decreasing both mana and hp and using a special lotion (a low level potion) makes you immune from mosquito for a minute or two. In the swamps the speed of walking will decrease unless you wear some swamp boots. In night time you could be attacked by some bats, very weak monster with almost no drop and 1xp per hit. In desert maps sunflare unless you have an umbrella or a special hat. In some caves it would be necessary to wear a gas mask to avoid a gas or dust.

The idea is to make these items very entry level, one for each skill (well, not the aggressive skill and harvesting), so everyone can build them to be safe and in the meanwhile he gets some (very few) XP in almost every skill. For item like gas mask or swamp boot the number of time that can be used should be limited, like 5 time for each one.

For example, in the jungle you can be stung by a mosquito that make you sick, decreasing both mana and hp... In the swamps the speed of walking will decrease... In night time you could be attacked by some bats, very weak monster with almost no drop and 1xp per hit. In desert maps sunflare... In some caves it would be necessary to wear a gas mask to avoid a gas or dust.

I like listed above parts of your suggestion. Would give the game some 'touch'. (I recollect something similar suggested long time ago. Or not:S)

Edited by Ayumu

I don't see much of a benefit to the game with this. Just more things we need to carry around to get by.

It's one thing on one or 2 maps total like the cold damage, but to have all desert maps do damage, and all jungly maps do other damage, all the swamps yet something else...I think it will just annoy people.

Although I do like the idea to bring a bit of variety to harvesting on different maps, I think it's overkill to have new objects like lotion or swamp boots (I know you cited these as examples but I'm just saying anyway).

If we can have a mapmaker define all the different map types (swamp, cold, desert, etc). Then we can think of one or two random events.

Although I do like the idea to bring a bit of variety to harvesting on different maps,

I didn't get the impression he meant harvesting events, but events that happen just by being on that sort of map for any reason. I agree, different types of harvesting events would be cute.

I agree, different types of harvesting events would be cute.

You reached a new level of cuteness. Your pickaxe turned pink! HOW CUUUTE!

Your way of harvesting is ultra cute and Mother Nature decided to reward you with a pink, cute piece of rock falling on your head! You've been hit for, yes yes yes - CUTE - 7hp.

etc. :icon13:

Edited by Ayumu

While harvesting swamp candles you have discovered a cute sslessar.
Can't harvest while fighting d'oh!
You have died and you have gone to the Underworld.

:icon13:

Seriously though, it would be nice if we had some kind of modifier that applies to harvesting speed depending on map type. We could for instance harvest those swamp candles faster on swamp type maps. Or cacti on desert. I remember it has been suggested in a past for sure, just reminding this idea.

Although I do like the idea to bring a bit of variety to harvesting on different maps,

I didn't get the impression he meant harvesting events, but events that happen just by being on that sort of map for any reason. I agree, different types of harvesting events would be cute.

I didn't either but thats what I'm assuming he/she meant...unless he/she really did just want random damage to crop up when you're mapwalking through random maps.

Either way, it can be upto the mapmaker if she/he wanted to add damage. Some working and new examples include:

Arius: Where you walk to the Gypsum, you get hit by the falling rocks - currently you suffer no damage per step but you could add something minimal like 1 damage.

Bethel: You can fall into quicksand - currently does nothing but you could change this to stun you for two combat rounds (like a snare)

Mount of Sorrow - high cold damage here (working example).

AA Fortress - there's a poison room here that works by removing life over time and not per step. AA caves have a very toxic room anyway.

Zirakinbar - if anyone remembers them, there were a few radiation (I don't know if the damage was radiation but it looked like it) pits that were removed.

In MM you can have poisoning gas pockets for the plants on the swamp, avalanches at the diamonds at irinveron...

In some hazardous rooms in magic schools you could have magic damage dealing traps.

Oblivion has a part where you get hurt per step of high heat damage and also heat damage over time (I think there's a cave in Melinis that does higher damage?).

I guess you could be much more liberal and inventive when looking over each map and deciding what to add and where and taking into account who will most likely get to them (e.g. I wouldn't want to add +15 cold damage everytime I walked over IPs "Have you no respect for the dead!?"

I think there's a damage type thats just pure damage so the white text or whatever can turn it into anything you want...

KJ "You walk under a tree where a monkey throw's a coconut at you!" - you suffer 5 hp damage. :icon13:

CC: Where there is broken magic telepad - you suffer 1 magic damage.

There is a biotope laboratory in Arius school that shows samples of all map types :P

You mean PV?

Edit: Nvm I see your edit

Edited by MagpieLee

I don't see much of a benefit to the game with this. Just more things we need to carry around to get by.

It's one thing on one or 2 maps total like the cold damage, but to have all desert maps do damage, and all jungly maps do other damage, all the swamps yet something else...I think it will just annoy people.

The benefits are two:

first one: it add some more "reality" to the game, so it turn into roleplaying (actually i don't see many element of roleplaying in the game, starting from people ignoring it completely in dialogs... like "Hi Fitzer" "How do you know my name?" "It's over your head lol", not RPG at all)

second one: different items -> different skills -> everyone start almost every skill even with low OA, not waiting OA 60+ to start tailoring/engineering/crafting

And just to avoid misunderstood the events should happen when walking, not just while harvesting.

I don't see either of those as a benefit, and those skills were intended to be for more advanced players to start...it's no accident they are hard or impossible for newbies.

While harvesting swamp candles you have discovered a cute sslessar.
Can't harvest while fighting d'oh!
You have died and you have gone to the Underworld.

Could we please get this one i love it! :icon13: