Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Bot marketplaces

Bot marketplaces  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have bot marketplaces?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, all bot locations were approved. Nobody is arguing that point. I also suspect that almost every bot owner believes he has "stragicially placed" his bot.

However, there was no rhyme or reason to the placement from the game's perspective, and as long as the bot location request wasn't in some ridiculously bad place, they were approved. There was no design for it, because it was never imagined the bots would become so popular and numerous.

What you are ignoring is now we are looking at the big picture and it is a mess. Some really pretty EL areas are ruined, some areas are clogged with bots (areas that weren't designed to hold that many bots) and it is just annoying, and now Roja has asked what other people think about it as well. Many things in EL have undergone changes, some are in the process now, and more changes will happen in the future. Change is a part of EL, and that just might include bot placement too. If the big picture is now seen to be not so good, of course it should be changed as soon as possible.

Edit: I have no idea why you think the big plan would be to make everyone's bots' unusable or in BAD, hard to get to locations. That certainly doesn't benefit anybody. Maybe some common sense before we post would be in order.

Edit 2: Obviously radu is aware of this thread as he has already posted, so it seems he and roja must have discussed this and agree?

But I do not agree that people who didn't pay for my bot have the right to discuss where he should be placed at all.

I even read what you wrote, just figure. Did you?

I tend to differ, in that I do think they have a right to discuss it, especially if the developers explicitly ask them to discuss it. Talking about bots placement in general is not a distinct issue as you seem to imply: "the bots" is a sum of individual bots.

You say, only the bot owner has the right to talk about where a single bot is placed; hence, non-bot owners have no right to talk about where all bots are placed. Well, as I said, I disagree -- and the poll is explicitly asking them.

(Ignoring insults about me and others not being able to read.)

These are two different issue here though.

1. Bots overcrowding maps

and

2. Where someone purchasing a bot would like it placed.

When radu was paid for my bot it was a "verbal contract" for the term of 1 year

an agreement made with spoken words and either no writing or only partially written. An oral contract is just as valid as a written agreement.

Could you then explain too me at what point does an individual as yourself have any right to interfere with my contract with radu?

And yes I stand by my statement that nobody has a right too choose where my bot goes except me and radu. You can discuss the overcrowding of maps by bots all you want but to have the community decide to alter my contract (or anyone elses contract with him) is a totally different issue altogether.

I already said I don't think it would be much of an issue to assign my bot to a new location but only if I discussed it with radu himself and not the entire EL community as a whole.

The community as a whole cant make you change the location of your bots! They can ask you to do that however.

What this is all about is Roja asking the community what they feel about the Bot situation.

Then I presume it will be considered and acted upon after all the opinions are looked at and considered, if a stage comes when/if bots are asked to be moved it will be done officially and not from "the community".

This is not an attack agasint you. or anyone else. but a question

Would you like to have special places set aside in every(or almost every) map or town to have the store bots stay at? Instead of being randomly spread throughout all maps? They'd be small marketplace areas in convenient locations which we could discuss. Some areas where there are a lot of bots already wouldn't even change much(such as the DP area with the tents).

Some places in the game are getting very overcrowded by bots(such as NC). It's like a bot minefield. Imo, I don't even like to walk through that map anymore seeing all those lifeless eyes staring at me...but maybe it's just me. What do you guys think?

So lets all step back take a breath, cool our heels. and discus it in a productive and level headed manner.

Edited by Thyralax
typo monkey attacked when i was afk :p

When radu was paid for my bot it was a "verbal contract" for the term of 1 year
Then, it is up to Radu/Roja, in case they decide to do so, to ask some specific bot owner to choose an alternate location, or simply refuse renewal at the end of the 1-year period, or leave things as they are, or whatever seems more appropriate to them.
(notice the times of posting)

Having thus satisfactorily established we agree that others have a right to express their opinions about bots placement, even if they are not bots owner, without prejudice to your contractual rights, we can now let others post in the thread if they so feel... :)

Right

Concerning NC map, a market place could be made for the bots near bot row as long as it was more or less equal distance from store, and a few stalls could be added to the votd entrance to make it look more organized. I think most bot owners would accept this, if it just made it tidey. Not shipping our bots off to glacmor market, or Port antonia or inside the city walls of nc.

It would take some changes to the map, but I think most bot owners wouldnt mind, as long as there is still High visablitly and close to the storage

The community as a whole cant make you change the location of your bots! They can ask you to do that however.

What this is all about is Roja asking the community what they feel about the Bot situation.

Then I presume it will be considered and acted upon after all the opinions are looked at and considered, when a stage comes when/if bots are asked moved it will be done officially and not from "the community".

This is not an attack agasint you. or anyone else. but a question

Would you like to have special places set aside in every(or almost every) map or town to have the store bots stay at? Instead of being randomly spread throughout all maps? They'd be small marketplace areas in convenient locations which we could discuss. Some areas where there are a lot of bots already wouldn't even change much(such as the DP area with the tents).

Some places in the game are getting very overcrowded by bots(such as NC). It's like a bot minefield. Imo, I don't even like to walk through that map anymore seeing all those lifeless eyes staring at me...but maybe it's just me. What do you guys think?

So lets all step back take a breath, cool our heels. and discus it in a productive and level headed manner.

I am trying to do so but I am being accused of not understanding the reason for this forum thread, but I do. I just feel that bot placement RIGHT NOW was left up too radu and the purchasing party and not the community.

I followed all bot rules and regulations, paid the correct amount of $$, etc and I really don't feel that anyone has a right to alter that but myself and radu.

I have even commented on the amount of bots in NC and yes it is getting crowded but to ask the community if they would like the bots to go into segregated areas is a little extreme. I feel that if any change is made then a few steps should be taken.

1. Allow only so many "slots" per map for bots and allow them bots to be placed where the owner request (providing its not blocking anything). This should solve overcrowding.

2. For the people that already have bot in a spot allow them to look for a new spot and offer the placement to radu himself for approval.

3. Do not ask the community to decide weather or not bots should be moved to a "bot supermarket". Bot placement should be up to radu and the purchaser only.

I really think that the bot marketplace idea was a "quick fix" for an issue that has a lot of technicalities to it. A better approach would more than likely be to just request or require bots to be spread out more and this would stop the possibility of outside interference of contracts made with radu.

I know the #1 and #2 ideas I placed here were posted about before in this thread I am just saying that those are the ideas I would think to be best for this situation.

Without pushing any agenda, I'd like to point out a couple of things:

1. The Big Picture. The developers have to consider the 'feel" of the game in the total plan. The ambience gets skewed considerably for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes adjustments have to be made to get back to the plan.

2. The Bottom Line. Radu and Roja can do anything they want. Don't like it? Try voicing your opinion in another game and see how far you get. Reasoned, factual, calm opinions *might* make a difference. Hyperbole, threats and flaming sure won't.

Personaly I think the "marketplace" idea is a good one, not for all bots ( those on obscure undercrowded maps are fine) just those in such places as Nc (the number of bots there is getting beyond a joke imo)

IMO all new bot placements should not only take into consideration how much money a location can make the owner, but also do they detract from the atmossphere of the game

Maybe Bots placed in the market's can be bought for the price they are now, and if a player wants certain tactical placement they have to pay more :D

i thank roja and radu for asking for comments on this. It sounds great from the point of view of a person who uses the bots alot. (mostly anti-social between resets)

a markplace near a storage would be great.

it would reduce the need to travel between sto and bot.

i uderstand that we have no input in the placement of bots

but please remember we are your customers

and as such i would have thought the bot owners would welcome our inputs (usually called market research).

Sorry if this upset people

Dragon_23

edit: spelling

Edited by dragon_23

Only problem I can see with limited bots per map is all the NC bot owners will want to stay in NC(same for every map)... obviously. There is going to be a lot of hurt feelings and "why is he more important than me, I paid the same, blah blah blah".

I have been invloved with a few bots over the years, and placement is very important

and to be honest the bots in nc did many more trades while nca was active. Of course votd would be ideal place for a bot, but no bots allowed there atm.

Bots close to storage do much better on bulk items

Bots close to pk do better with pk items

Bots near resorces, depend on that resorce

Bots anywhere else, if they have the right items, may not see as much traffic, but will still do ok with the right items

I just would not like to see a place where all the bots need to go, that is not advantages for any of them.

These bots serve their customers also. I have some very good customers, and am always open to their suggestions, and will alter prices accordingly.

I am also a very good customer of other bots, and a part time customer of some bots I wish I could afford to visit more often.

So a map change in NC for example where all the bots near store would be equal distance to store as they are now, just more organized would be ok, but they should also be seen as people travel from other maps to the storage

Guest Trojan_Knight

I think, a easy solution could be a edit on the map(s) itself. I just tested this out (by editing PL for my own personal reasons due to this topic), and honestly. It wouldn't take much time at all to create a "market place" that would be "convientant" to both the customer and the bot owner. If these "market places" are near a storage. The only thing that is going to change, is the #loc cmd on most of the bots. Sure many stated "location is key".. Sure it can be, but what if the new location is better?.. Others will state "this will cause a bot price war".. My answer to that, is where have ya been? That topic has been going on since theres been 2 bots on game long long long ago.

Anyways, NC does have bots every where, just as PL and a couple other places. Customers will visit your bots regulary unless you do some kind of dramtic change to your wares. Regardless, I will honestly say NC and PL are overly crowed with bots. A bot limitation per map should be implimented. And once that max allowed per that map is reached, then no more bots should be allowed on that map. Now this raises a question.. Would that mean that if all maps became max population per map via bot allowed. That no other bots would be allowed on game? I think if at a time that was a concern. It wouldn't be much trouble to extend any current market places with in each map.

I think bots that are placed like Labby's for example. Should be exceptions. Now i say this because, they are out in the boonies for the most part. With basically no other bots around. Another positive idea to this. If goes through, maybe those that opt to move could get 1 free month? Just a idea, don't get ya hopes up, cuz we're playing a "Free" game :D

With all that bs I just stated. I'm going to vote yes with the idea of exceptions to those whos bots are not in prime populated locations. ie: PL, NC, etc. Which in theory, allows for a "grandfathership" to be placed amongst a previous agreement.

I voted Yes.

I am a bot owner and i really don't care where it will be placed, because i don't play EL to earn gc with bot.

Yes, i know that it is convenient to earn gc while you are offline and use this gc to buy stuff for own gameplay, but we all can live without it, if not then there is something wrong :) (because all the other people without bots can and do live without it with no problems)

I don't even care if bots will be removed at all.

@all the ramble about bots being paid wit RL $$: nobody said that bots will be prolonged forever, so you would not lose a single coin if you would not get your bot prolonged for another year...

As i see it, most bot owners b1tch because they will lose the advantage of having a bot (and earn gc or RL money)

I have not read all the recent threads, but I like the idea of a new area (map) created as a market place. If the new area was created and all new bots had to populate that area, that would solve future problems. The current bot owners would have option of moving their bot(s) to the new area. Picking the prime locations on a first come first serve basis. It would be nice to have several of the current maps to have an entrance into the marketplace, but only one or two exits... IP for C1 and Anitora for C2 (you could create another npc to charge entrance onto the C2 map. The central part of the map could have a storage, but not allow mixing or spell casting on the map at all! People could use the market place to get around the scotties dead perk, but you still can't use beam anytime you want, and if you create a maze it would not be a big advantage.

People could use this map as a central meeting place for deals, and would be a great central place to purchase items needed!

This is just a suggestion that I came up with while thinking about this all weekend!

A few new idea's to add

The bots closest to storage might be able to access storage, and renting one of those premium spots could cost more! just a thought.

Also if the area was created without local chat allowed.... that would be nice, I hate some of the silly conversations, and petty bickering that goes on around storage's. JusT a few added thoughts!

Edited by Ice

As with most discussions things can get a bit out of hand. All some of us BOT owners are trying to say is that we paid real money for the service. If some of you had done teh same I think you would be feeling the same as us.

All I can honestly say is ...

1. No it was not thought that BOTS would take of as well as they had - there is a problem in some areas such as NC and PL.

2. Once the overcrowding started in NC it should have been stopped.

3. Moving of BOTs should be voluntery and if needed a 'free move'

4. Yes the overcrowding looks unsightly, it would be more inkeeping with the RP aspect if this was tidied up.

Dont tar all BOT owners with same brush, there are many reasons some of us have a BOT and its not all to do with money making. Personaly it gives me motivation and a purpose to sit and mix stuff and we have him talking in guild chanel (Role Playing nonsence for fun) and other fun things like giving comp clues instead of advertising on market. (he has never advertised on market) Mine also acts as an equipment store for guildies or freinds who need something when im not online.

I chose the position of mine (in MM) because he was on a main trail and easy access to myself, guildies and freinds who just need to use a tele to reach him. He is not in a crowded map nor near to a storage. He is tucked out of the way and does not look like a blot on teh landscape. In fact I have dressed it to blend in with the terees teh best I could purposly. (looks like a hunter)

I personaly would not liek to move him for those reason alone and notihng to do with what money he makes or would make.

A quick note regarding bot "approval" at time of placement..as far as I can recall, the whole basis of the approval at that time was to ensure the bot placement was in keeping with the then current bot rules regarding placement, IE not adjacent to harvestable items etc etc as per the Bot Rules posted on these forums in the Bot section. There was at that time no addition to the rules with regards to game aesthetics, which seems now to be an issue. Therefore it seems that inevitably a new rule regarding aesthetics is in need and I'd like to propose it for future placements to ensure there is no longer an outcry about placements being "approved" without regard to viable locations that dont make a mess of the landscape etc etc.

I am a bot owner and dislike the idea completely of moving my bot form where it is. So because of that, and due to my inherent chaotic nature, I am going to vote a big yes to this. Rules, like maps, guilds, diplomacy and anything else in this game, are subject to change, without regard, warning or consultation, but we have been given an opportunity for discussion in this matter, so let's use it while we still HAVE that option and BEFORE our choice is taken away by people who no doubt are getting pissed off by teh lack of trust that they can do the right thing for the game.

*sidenote: I also request we move Tired_iron to a disused hut in the middle of tarsengaard mountains where no one will find it. [/sarcasm]

I've voted yes. That would make game looks nicer. Nevertheless I think that it would be better to leave a choose for bot owners. Maybe bots placed in special marketplaces should have some little advantages. For example they could talk on local chat (time limit like on trade channel) about what they sells/buys. Local chat is range limited so its shouldn't make big buzz (but I could be wrong). With nice (role play) messages (for example - "Best swords from North lands! - Titanium Long - Dwarven steel, you will not regret this.) this could give nice feeling of marketplace buzz.

--

Sorry for bad English

OnyXa

Maybe bots placed in special marketplaces should have some little advantages. For example they could talk on local chat (time limit like on trade channel) about what they sells/buys. Local chat is range limited so its shouldn't make big buzz (but I could be wrong). With nice (role play) messages (for example - "Best swords from North lands! - Titanium Long - Dwarven steel, you will not regret this.) this could give nice feeling of marketplace buzz.

I would second that; while bots talking in local in random places, or commenting on every little event, or greeting every actor in sight can be obnoxius, in a marketplace they would add to the atmosphere, not detract from it. If the messages are well done (in the RP sense) and varied, that would confer a distinct personality to the place. Nice! :lurker:

I have even commented on the amount of bots in NC and yes it is getting crowded but to ask the community if they would like the bots to go into segregated areas is a little extreme.

The community is "speaking". Would you rather there were no discussion and Radu changed it, via the power of teh g0d?

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Would it be possible to have an option that made bots not visible if you turn the option to off? (kind of like ignore bots...) I know this is almost off-topic, and that I'm possibly smoking from the pipe of dreams again, but it seems like it could solve the issue without actually having to do much... If I walk through NC with ignore bots and "don't show bots" on, I'd see it as bot free :lurker:

Just a thought...

This would be extremely easy clientside but with a major caveat:

What happens when you walk onto a guarded map and die?

This is an interesting argument. I do like the idea of having many options in a set marketplace, but I have to say that I really like having a bot available that makes it so I don't have to trudge all the way across a map just to grab something I need real quick. The few bots that are near the docks I think are tastefully placed and very handy.

In a map like NC where there are so many bots already, perhaps just get with the owners and leave a few of them at the quarters, then introduce a marketplace much like the ones in WS and DP for the mass majority that are left?

Kind of a hard decision so I really can't vote yes or no. Sure it would be nice to have more bots centrally located, but I can really see where bot owners, and players, would lose out on having the strategic locations if we are talking about moving *all* bots to marketplaces.

Take care,

Gerrick

Well, talking about market places, i can say, that my bot Karlin is located at something as a market place.

And i am not that unhappy about the business it does.

Ok, it would be a bad idea to place a bot, which deals with silver ore in a titanium mine, but such things might be an exception.

At least i can say, that my bot still makes good deals while being located at a "market place", where other bots are around.

And no, i dont remember a price war between the bots standing in Kamara Desert.

Maybe i missed something, but i am fine with the income from my bot.

Piper

This would be extremely easy clientside but with a major caveat:

What happens when you walk onto a guarded map and die?

I see your point but if I walked onto a guarded map I'd probably die before I saw what killed me anways, lol :lurker: